“just okay”

Ranked #90 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Atlanta, Georgia
“just okay”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

our trip was booked through a travel agent for my friend's birthday. it was 5 of us and we got a decent deal. i read the reviews beforehand and wasnt surprised when i arrived. the resort looked like it was a really nice place back in the '80s. it needs to be painted, and updated badly. i would have gladly paid more money for a better place, but again we booked through a travel agent whose idea is to get a lower rate. when we arrived our rooms were not ready but we were able to go ahead and get lunch. the food was good that day and i figured the reviews may be wrong. i spoke too soon...sadly you can tell that items left from lunch or dinner were recycled into the next meal. the food was bland and it was just enough to keep us nourished. the food on the outside bar consisted of burgers, hot dogs, fries and nachos. the pool bar provided the best drinks and do not expect familiar brands of liquor here. the staff were very nice and tried to help as much as they could. our room had a balcony and an awesome view of the gorgeous beach below. the pool was small, but we had fun and met many people from other countries enjoying the view. sleeping at night was hard only because the air conditioning could not handle the humidity. we opened our patio door but the breeze would not come in...maybe the glass balcony blocked it, but it felt better outside than in our room. we had our air on the coldest it would go but it didnt help. the tiled floors were moist from the humidity and we had to wear flip flops while in the room. we stayed gone most of the time and toured cancun by the bus. it was only $1 us, and 10 pesos to ride the bus to the tourist attractions. we converted to pesos, but staff others outside the resort preferred us dollars. i enjoyed cancun and will stay at another resort with a better selection of restaurants for food. there is also no free wifi and it is $16 a day if you wanted it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank tanettew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Guanajuato, Mexico
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I just came back last week (July 2014) and this place was great! The building is a little bit old as many people comment but you immediately forget it because they have 5 stars service, food and animators!
Don't let the bad comments fool you, the place looks just a little bit old, but it's not dirty or messy at all!
There's always food from 7am to 2am. They animators were great at the pool and they even have themed nights (disco, karaoke, mexican, etc) And I MUST tell you that food is great in this hotel! Everything is buffete-like and there are a lot of options.
The hotel is pretty much designed for families.
Amazing summer vacation! I miss Cancun!

Room Tip: Choose a room that have sea view! Even the bathroom have their own view to the beach, pretty relaxin...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Chavin R
Santa Clara
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Place was an older building but the staff and service was 5 star. Great place for medium budget. Food was 3 stars. Great location to swim on the beach. No Ocean threats. Jelly fish or sharks no where around if your an ocean swimmer.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Keldan S
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Honestly I don't know why so many complaints! I stayed here the last week of June and I have nothing but GREAT comments. First of all my room was great, had a beach view and was very clean. Secondly the food was good too! Especially the desserts! Service was amazing! They knew me already and I felt at home! I ordered the same thing to drink and Manuel I believe his name was already had my drink waiting at the table once he saw me.. which was Una Agua de Jamaica ;) (Gracias Manuel!) Front desk was also great. My friend and I had so many questions and the lady helped us with a smile everytimr. The beach was sooo amazing, the water was warm and the view was spectacular! Definitely coming back next year!

• Stayed June 2014
7 Thank aracely130
Chino Hills, California
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I give it a 3 star rating because it is an older hotel, they are working on improvements, but the views and scenery are all amazing. The water was warm, lots of things to do. They have activities lined up on a board for you to take part in if you want. I didn't take part in many because I had already made arrangements to dive and snorkel. I really have no issues with this hotel. I can't complain about the service or staff. They were all extremely friendly and very helpful. Joel, Irving and Diego all answered any questions we had. Daniel and Miguel were great in the concierge. Ishmael was a very friendly bell boy. This hotel served its purpose for me and my family. It is an older hotel and right on the beach, they are renovating it and doing upkeep on it. What more can you ask for. If you want a perfect hotel go pay $500. a night somewhere else. I would prefer to stay in a less expensive hotel, with a more attentive staff and be able to spend my money on the dives and snorkeling and other activities. Call me simple whatever, all I really need is a place to sleep, and go to the bathroom. I spend so much time in the water I could care less about a shower.. LOL But they do have a shower and it runs hot and cold just like it should.

Room Tip: Our rooms were on the corner over the sports bar and it was very quiet couldn't hear a thing.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank desiluv2bareit
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I'm honestly really shocked to read these previous bad reviews because I just got back from my stay at the Bellevue and had an amazing time. We arrived 3.5 hours before checkin time and they were still able to get us to our rooms. Our room had everything you need- great a/c, clean showers and a killer view. The entire staff is AMAZING and really go out of your way to help you ( I recommend tipping because a little can really go a long way) and drinks were are strong as you wanted! Food was good, not great, but definitely enjoyable enough and the beach and pool area are super fun and beautiful. I think you get much more than your money's worth with this place, and the bad reviews must be from unreal expectations.

I usually don't leave reviews (out of pure laziness) but really felt compelled to let everyone know that this really actually is a great place I stay!

Room Tip: You can steal wifi from sun palace a couple hotels down
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Katie G
Walnut Creek
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel on LivingSocial for a decent price. It was very disappointing. When we first arrived our room was not ready yet so they stored our luggage in their "security office". We walked around for a little and saw the following - 2 very small pools although there is a swim up pool bar, a spa that resembled a dungeon (there is only one masseuse and the small room looks anything but relaxing), and a 'Sport Bar' that did not open until 2pm. We had lunch at 1 of the 2 open restaurants and the food was terrible. My boyfriend eats just about everything and even he did not have an appetite for their food. We were allowed to check into our room early. The bellhop grabbed our luggage and escorted us to our room. When he unlocked the door, the room turned out to be occupied. We were then assigned a new room and automatically things were not up to par - the cable did not work, the sink handle fell off, the toilet kept running & we were not provided with towels. We made a complaint to the front desk & the maintenance guy did not come to our room until 11pm. We had already been checked into our room since 3pm. When he did come by, he only fixed the toilet not the sink. We were given a new room the next morning which did offer a nice beach view. However, we could hear EVERYTHING going on in the hallway and rooms next door and the beds were not comfortable. The beach was nice and we were able to get chairs and an umbrella. The bartenders were fairly friendly but we opted to avoid the crowded pools. We also avoided the restaurants and found that the best food was across the street. Don't underestimate Joe's Burger & Taco Shop. Overall, I would not say this was a romantic beach paradise or a good place for a family getaway. If you are looking for a cheap getaway and just looking for the basics, this is your spot!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple