“Basic all inclusive hotelGood value for your money”
Review of Oleo Cancun Playa

Oleo Cancun Playa
Ranked #70 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Bellevue the second week of July. I read the mixed reviews before booking it and had low expectations, which were exceeded. I was looking for a nice view, beach, pool, good service, and basic food and i got what i was looking for. If you're picky and care for small details, don't stay here. Yes, the hotel needs updating, but it is very clean, including the rooms. The view from my room was amazing. Pool is not big, but it had a swim up bar. Beach was nice to sit by, but not safe to go in for non-swimmers like myself. Food was very bland. This would be my biggest complaint. It's a shame because mexico has amazing food. Selection was ok. There was only two restaurants open. Drinks never had enough licor. I got such a good deal on this booking though, that i thought of it as free food and free drinks and made the best out of it.
I would stay again if i was on a tight budget because i think it's a great value, but if I could spend a few more hundred dollars, I would stay somewhere nicer.

• Stayed: July 2014
9  Thank IDChicago
Write a ReviewReviews (1,772)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great stay, big suites, right by the beach, central location. Great staff. Older building but it's a firm 3.5*. May need a little more updating that could make it even better. Besides that it was a good stay.

Room Tip: with a view. so worth it. you can see the whole strip if you get a view of the beach front.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank clarisseramos89
Martin R, Director General at Oleo Cancun Playa, responded to this reviewResponded yesterday

Dear guest of Óleo Cancun Playa,
We are happy to announce that Óleo Cancun Playa has opened its doors; therefore, we will no longer be operating under the name of Yalmakan Hotel. From now on, we will be providing you with new and high quality experiences. Which, in hand with our Handcrafted Hospitality philosophy, promise to deliver an experience like no other.
As of today, we have fully renovated the three bedroom towers, the pool and beach area, the “Azul“ and “Hakka” restaurants, as well as the Lobby Bar, the new Coffee Corner and our very own art studio! The Spa Nuub area is now ready and its services are available for you as well is the Gym.
We want you to feel at ease, so be assured that we have developed a remodeling plan which is working only on isolated areas of the hotel, allowing you to sit back and enjoy your stay without any interruption.
In case there is something that is not operating at 100%, you can be sure we’ll take care of it! In order to guarantee that your stay will not be disturbed and you may continue to enjoying the Óleo experience.
We value your visit, if you have any additional questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

our trip was booked through a travel agent for my friend's birthday. it was 5 of us and we got a decent deal. i read the reviews beforehand and wasnt surprised when i arrived. the resort looked like it was a really nice place back in the '80s. it needs to be painted, and updated badly. i would have gladly paid more money for a better place, but again we booked through a travel agent whose idea is to get a lower rate. when we arrived our rooms were not ready but we were able to go ahead and get lunch. the food was good that day and i figured the reviews may be wrong. i spoke too soon...sadly you can tell that items left from lunch or dinner were recycled into the next meal. the food was bland and it was just enough to keep us nourished. the food on the outside bar consisted of burgers, hot dogs, fries and nachos. the pool bar provided the best drinks and do not expect familiar brands of liquor here. the staff were very nice and tried to help as much as they could. our room had a balcony and an awesome view of the gorgeous beach below. the pool was small, but we had fun and met many people from other countries enjoying the view. sleeping at night was hard only because the air conditioning could not handle the humidity. we opened our patio door but the breeze would not come in...maybe the glass balcony blocked it, but it felt better outside than in our room. we had our air on the coldest it would go but it didnt help. the tiled floors were moist from the humidity and we had to wear flip flops while in the room. we stayed gone most of the time and toured cancun by the bus. it was only $1 us, and 10 pesos to ride the bus to the tourist attractions. we converted to pesos, but staff others outside the resort preferred us dollars. i enjoyed cancun and will stay at another resort with a better selection of restaurants for food. there is also no free wifi and it is $16 a day if you wanted it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank tanettew

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I just came back last week (July 2014) and this place was great! The building is a little bit old as many people comment but you immediately forget it because they have 5 stars service, food and animators!
Don't let the bad comments fool you, the place looks just a little bit old, but it's not dirty or messy at all!
There's always food from 7am to 2am. They animators were great at the pool and they even have themed nights (disco, karaoke, mexican, etc) And I MUST tell you that food is great in this hotel! Everything is buffete-like and there are a lot of options.
The hotel is pretty much designed for families.
Amazing summer vacation! I miss Cancun!

Room Tip: Choose a room that have sea view! Even the bathroom have their own view to the beach, pretty relaxin...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Chavin R
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Place was an older building but the staff and service was 5 star. Great place for medium budget. Food was 3 stars. Great location to swim on the beach. No Ocean threats. Jelly fish or sharks no where around if your an ocean swimmer.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Keldan S

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Honestly I don't know why so many complaints! I stayed here the last week of June and I have nothing but GREAT comments. First of all my room was great, had a beach view and was very clean. Secondly the food was good too! Especially the desserts! Service was amazing! They knew me already and I felt at home! I ordered the same thing to drink and Manuel I believe his name was already had my drink waiting at the table once he saw me.. which was Una Agua de Jamaica ;) (Gracias Manuel!) Front desk was also great. My friend and I had so many questions and the lady helped us with a smile everytimr. The beach was sooo amazing, the water was warm and the view was spectacular! Definitely coming back next year!

• Stayed: June 2014
7  Thank aracely130
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I give it a 3 star rating because it is an older hotel, they are working on improvements, but the views and scenery are all amazing. The water was warm, lots of things to do. They have activities lined up on a board for you to take part in if you want. I didn't take part in many because I had already made arrangements to dive and snorkel. I really have no issues with this hotel. I can't complain about the service or staff. They were all extremely friendly and very helpful. Joel, Irving and Diego all answered any questions we had. Daniel and Miguel were great in the concierge. Ishmael was a very friendly bell boy. This hotel served its purpose for me and my family. It is an older hotel and right on the beach, they are renovating it and doing upkeep on it. What more can you ask for. If you want a perfect hotel go pay $500. a night somewhere else. I would prefer to stay in a less expensive hotel, with a more attentive staff and be able to spend my money on the dives and snorkeling and other activities. Call me simple whatever, all I really need is a place to sleep, and go to the bathroom. I spend so much time in the water I could care less about a shower.. LOL But they do have a shower and it runs hot and cold just like it should.

Room Tip: Our rooms were on the corner over the sports bar and it was very quiet couldn't hear a thing.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family