“Great for the price”

Ranked #73 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Chicago, Illinois
“Great for the price”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

C+ hotel but great for the price; nice surprise. Cancun, in general, has seen better days. Many retail stores are closed and the beaches and hotels seem partially empty. Hotel zone beaches, in general on the ocean side, east side, one can't swim because of undertow.

Room Tip: get view on the ocean in new wing
2 Thank Moby202

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oakland, Md
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Hotel is old but clean .Furniture needs updated. Food, well...I was anxious to return home. The price was right for what was available. The hotel is not awful but leaves alot to be desired. Juan Duran was extremely helpful as the guest service provider. However, I dislike and feel uncomfortable from the pressure from the shop keepers and timeshare/residence club sales people. I wanted to buy local items in the Flamingo Mall.
But on entering I was pestered by sales people. I could not even look into the stores so I gave up. I am sorry to say this because the Mexican people are wonderful and kind people. If I go to Cancun again I would change two things. I think I would book a better hotel. And I would not plan to do any local shopping. Only the large malls.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer section with a balcony.
7 Thank trandjo
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 19 January 2012

The -ve:
We asked for a top floor room in a quiet location and were told that wouldn't be a problem. Instead we were given a room next to the inside pool on the lobby level. On our insistence they did change our room to a quieter location the next day. This new room was on the 5th floor but had a foul odor in the toilet, a cracked sink, a fused bulb and a broken latch to the ocean view door. Told them to fix the toilet odor. They claimed to have done it when we returned from our tours, but since the odor hadn't gone away we called maintenance again the next day - this time we waited in the room in person. The maintenance guy came 30 minutes late after 2 calls. Anyway he flushed the toilet a few times and said the odor wouldn't come back. But it did. Seems to us that they have some serious problem with the sewage system in some areas. They did fix the fused bulb and the ocean door latch.
An irritant is their disallowing toll free calls - want to rip you off in every possible way ! The staff was indifferent, no Mexican warmth or hospitality - just corporate greed. You would think they could have given us a decent room for a 5 day stay.
Orbitz supplied free voucher for the sunset cruise was yet another irritant as we couldn't reserve the cruise using the supplied US phone number and were just transferred around and disconnected on the Mexican number. We were not able to connect with the Orbitz rep who is supposed to sit in the hospitality area.

The +ve:
They have an excellent location - right across from the Flamingo mall and a bus stop and walking distance to the best mall (La Isla) in the hotel zone. They have ok buffet prices (160, 180, 200 pesos for breakfast, lunch, dinner respectively). They have 2 pools, a pool bar, an exercise room, a pool table, another multiple course menu style restaurant and a lobby bar.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are US $20-$25 more but worthwhile (very few resorts can match their price on the o...
3 Thank R K

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2012

This place gets very mixed reviews on here and I'm sure the bad ones are all due to unrealistic expectations for the price. Its not a 5 star resort, but you aren't paying 5 star prices. We found the rooms and common areas to be bright, clean and well serviced. I should say we stayed board only so have no idea about the food.

We were more than happy with the lagoon view and had no problems with street noise (on 6th floor). We chose the hotel for the location and it is fab, right across from the uber-trashy flamingo mall (go for a bit of old style Cancun) the beach is lovely and its easy walk to the mall and a variety of restaurants.

One thing I would point out is the annoying time-share people who are allowed to sit on a "guest services" desk in reception. Avoid them like the plague.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank Chinkle
Broolyn, NY
Reviewed 18 January 2012

When traveling I expect convenience, cleanliness, friendly and efficient service and a clean beach. This hotel met my expectations. The staff was very helpful with all our requests. We stayed from 1/12 - 15/2012. The temperature was not as hot as I know Mexico to be (compared to a prior trip), the water was cold but once submerged, I got used to it. There was also one full day of rain (bummer :-(. This is a *** hotel, so expect such service. The buffet could have had more selections, especially for someone who's vegetarian. This is not a party resort. If you're looking for relaxation and a convenient location to the downtown area and you're not a fussy person, then the Flamingo is ideal. There's a mall and Margaritaville right across the street , Outback Steakhouse, Bubba Gump and a few more restaurants close by + Senor Frogs is within walking distance? Would I stay here again? For a January vacation but not in the Summer when I'm more into partying. The B.O.B underwater adventure was great. We paid $67 each + $7 for the park fee, pictures and video cost $30 (view video b4 leaving, mine did not show but did not realize until I got back to NY.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank travelingtgirl
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Good hotel, if your not looking to stay here longer than a week, very close to the malls and restaurants of cancun tourist area. Food in hotel gets repetative after a few days, but nothing really to complain about. Rooms are adequate and spacy although nothing spectacular..... Budget hotel in the tourist zone, and well priced, looking for something for longer than a week, proberly not for you unless you want to go out regular..... Stayed here three days and was enough......

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Westville, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 12 January 2012

This hotel is a disaster!! My wife and I paid for all inclusive which is supposed to include meals but we didn't get them and Cheap Trips were useless in assisting us. When I called Cheap trips for a refund they told me that the Flamingo refused to issue a refund and there was nothing they could do. I guarentee you will not be able to sleep past 5:00 AM due to the noise and you will have to call for room service to get your room cleaned because they won't come unless you do and I guarentee you will not get any wash cloths. The "buffet" was crappy and the food was tasteless but the waiters were nice. Also, be prepared for other hotel representatives will hound you in the lobby for you to take trips or stay at their hotel (next door). Oh yes, the Cancun Carribean cruise does not have lobster or a real steak just the imfanous "flat steak" which is about 1/8" thick so you will not receive your selection but the entertainment was very nice..

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sjferret
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#50 of 175 in Cancun
Oasis Palm
Oasis Palm
#77 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Flamingo Cancun Resort? Share your experiences!