“Still really happy with this hotel”

Flamingo Cancun Resort
Ranked #75 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Livonia, Michigan
“Still really happy with this hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

This was my 3rd annual visit to this hotel. I have always been happy with it considering that it is cheap, clean, and right on the beach. I booked it again this year without even consulting the reviews. Shortly before my stay, I saw the negative reviews and grew concerned that perhaps things really had gone downhill in the year since I had last visited. Actually, after my 4 day stay, I think things have improved, and I was happy to begin with.

This place is not the Ritz Carlton. It doesn't have the luxury or the service. At about $100 a night in a package deal including the all inclusive option and the upgrade to the oceanfront room, I have no right to expect the Ritz Carlton. Also, I am not the type that likes people constantly fawning over me, so this is more my style anyway. This place is very clean. The maid service is very thorough. When I walk by rooms where people have checked out, they have the dresser moved aside and are mopping under it. Also, we lost an earring and looked under the bed for it. It was very clean underneath. The room is big and functional, if not fancy. The ocean front view from the big balcony is fabulous. The tv is old and not a flat screen. I have no use for a tv in Cancun, so this does not matter to me. Everything in the room is in good working order. The grounds are very nicely kept. There are 2 pools and a jacuzzi. The hotel sits on a long stretch of beautiful beach. They used to have uncomfortable beach chairs, and not very many of them. I would say that they now have double the chairs that they used to have and they are much more comfortable. That was one noticeable upgrade.

The dinner food isn't great. I have tried it in past years, but didn't bother this year. It only costs me $20 a person per day to upgrade to all inclusive plan. I get a good breakfast buffet, a decent lunch if I feel like it, and drinks all day and at night if we go back after dinner. At that rate, I am getting more than my $20 a day, and I want to eat dinner out, anyway. There are so many dining options in Cancun, that I don't want to be trapped in a hotel with an expensive meal plan. The hotel has a buffet restaurant, a nicer restaurant on the beach, a pool bar, and a lobby bar. No one serves you drinks at the beach. You have to go up and get your own. For the price, I am paying, I am totally fine with this. The lobby bar is the only "bar" that is open at night, and it closes at midnight. Another upgrade is that the lobby bar has been remodeled and is much brighter and more attractive than it had been. Again, if I was paying a lot of money, I might have reason to complain about only 1 bar being open at night or about it closing so early, but it is so cheap, that I don't really feel like I have anything to complain about.

The location is great. It is across from the Flamingo Mall and Margaritaville. It is also pretty close to La Isla. I like to be where I don't have to take the bus everytime I want to go somewhere.

Negatives would be the lack of free wifi, but I get the impression that many hotels in Cancun don't have free wifi. Also, the lack of a safe is a bit of a hassle, but we use the box at the front desk for our passports and have never had an issue. It would be nice to have a safe in the room to throw money and things into rather than carrying it. Some of the staff are very friendly, some aren't overly friendly. None have ever been rude. Anything that I list as a negative is very minor and wouldn't stop me from staying here again. I fully intend to return next January for my 4th time. I genuinely like this place and I have not found a better deal!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the oceanside for the nominal fee. The hotel is close to the street and I imagine the str...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank advonefin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

The service was horrible.
The day when i check out. The bell man told me he can call a taxi for me . He said its 350 peso to the airport. I said i will think about it. Then he said 300 peso. I said ok, i will go down to the street and wave for a taxi. If i cant find any taxi. I will come back.
He said "no, if you go down and ask for the price, when you come back, i wont call a taxi for you. "
i said " what ? You r a hotel , this is a normal service ...what do you mean you cant call for a taxi for me when i come back ?"
He said, " 300 peso is the cheapest, i wont call taxi for you if you go and ask for taxi . Its not right. .."
i said , " You are not right ! You suppose to call taxi for the guest no matter what !"
then i went to front desk, ask about the taxi....i cant believe the front desk agent said he doesn't know how much it will cost me from hotel to airport. I said .".the bell man said its 300 peso...will it be cheaper if i go on the street ? The front desk agent said .".i dont think so ..i think it will be more expensive ..."
.then i left the hotel and wave down a taxi, which was 200 peso to the airport ! The bell man and the front desk agent was rude and mean and try to take advantage from me !
YOU TRUST NO ONE IN THIS HOTEL! THEY WANT YOUR MONEY !!!!

Room Tip: just don't come here unless you don't care where u stay
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Linda W

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Cancun, Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

Estamos en nuestro último día en este hotel, en el sexto piso all inclusive, de los 14 días que estuvimos alojados solo 2 no nos despertamos sin ruidos molestos, de los arreglos en la infraestructura que está haciendo el mismo hotel (martillazos en el techo, objetos arrastrados, etc.) desde las 8am y los días que teniamos suerte desde las 9am. Pedimos el cambio de habitación y nos lo negaron. El sr. Duran (supuesto gerente) nunca dio la cara, no sabemos si realmente existe.
Uno viene de vacaciones a descansar y tener que quejarse todos los días por lo mismo y sentir que tu queja no es escuchada te arruina el descanso que uno tanto espera todo año.
La comida es muuuuy mala, todos los días los mismo, comida fría, mala calidad, poca higiene, tanto en el desayuno, almuerzo y cena.
Hay algunos empleados que se destacan por su buena atención, pero son los de menor rango. La recepción (lobby) son todos ineficientes.
Otro detalle muy mal olor en el lobby y en los pasillos de las habitaciones de los primeros pisos.
Wi-fi mala conexión.
Les reiteramos NO recomiendo este hotel. NUNCA VOLVERIA

We are on our last day at the hotel, on the sixth floor all inclusive, of the 14 days we stayed only 2 did not wake up without disturbing noise, arrangements in the infrastructure that is doing the same hotel (hammering on the roof, flying debris, etc.) from 8am and we were lucky day from 9am. We change rooms and were denied. The sr. Duran (course manager) never showed his face, do not know if it really exists.
You come on vacation to rest and have to complain about every day for the same and feel that your complaint is not heard you break one ruins the much expected all year.
Food is sooo bad, every day the same, cold food, poor quality, poor hygiene, both at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
There are some employees who are known for their good health, but are the lowest rank. Reception (lobby) are all inefficient.
Another detail very bad smell in the lobby and hallways of the first floor rooms.
Wi-fi bad connection.
We reiterate NOT recommend this hotel. never again

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Vanesa M
Hobe Sound, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013

Get "all inclusive" getaway package at Travelocity for a very affordable price. Reservation for one of two rooms was missed and we waited about an hour. However our rooms were upgraded to ocean view. Good service, staff speaks at least both Spanish and English, good bar, buffet and restaurant. Hot tub is not hot but slightly warm. 2 swimming pools seem not heated. However it was a warm weather at the beginning of January. Can go for shopping across the street or take a bus to the downtown (bus #R2, runs virtually every minute or two). Tour agents are at the lobby. Internet access is $15 per 24 hours. You may walk outside and find free wifi across the street near bars. Food... I am not too selective and was OK with the buffet. A dinner at the restaurant was very good and we even enjoyed a show when the guy was making me a coffee "Mexican way" pouring burning liqueur to the glass with coffee. You may exchange dollars at the lobby (generally $$ are accepted in most places) or withdraw it at ATM across the street, but $5 charge seems to be per transaction plus foreign transaction fee depending on your bank (0..3%). Never used an ATM in the lobby.
There is a charge for local phone calls about 2.5 pesos (called tour agency and transfer service).
At the end they tried to charge me for the room. When I asked why should I pay for the room included into the package they responded I don't have to. A bit weird.

Room Tip: Ocean view room was pretty noisy because of the wind. I guess it might be seasonal.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Alex S
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

We stayed for 4 nights, all inclusive.
Beach is excellent. Room was spacious (we upgraded to ocean view). There were enough chaise longues available on the beach, which sometime was a problem at other hotels.

There's no local food available in hotel's restaurant. Say 'buy' to fajitas, tacos etc, which you could enjoy in the country side. (if you like Mexican food). But 'amerikan' food - salads, potato fri, steaks was OK (if american food can be OK...)
With 'all inclusive' badges, we got less attention in bars, than customers, who paid cash =)

Room Tip: "Lagoon view" is actually "street" view. Consider upgrading to ocean view. We di...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Alexander K
Irvine, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

If you want a simple room, close the beach, for a good price then this is the place for you. However, DO NOT EAT THERE. The food is terrible. Our first night in Cancun we had to eat there and everything in the buffet was cold, they served Rice-A-Roni, and there was no "mexican" food except salsa and chips! When I asked for a glass of red wine, it came super cold like it had been in the fridge! The next morning for breakfast we gave them another shot because again, we had no idea where to go.. second mistake. Again, food was cold and not good! If you want good food and you stay at this hotel, go to Tacun which is just on your left if you're about to leave the hotel. Its just a quick 5 min walk to the south of the hotel. They open around 7-7:30am and are open until 11pm. Food is delicious! Staff is great! They saved us!!

Hotel has no frills except free shampoo and soap :) No fridge or coffee maker in the basic room. Water in the shower continually cycles between super hot and cold without you even touching anything. They definitely don't change the comforter, even if its dirty. My daughter spilled her yogurt on it and they didn't even bother to change it! I think i was the only one who tried to clean it!

Drinks at the bar are watered down. If it rains, your room might get wet so put a towel outside your door if the hotel staff doesn't already do it for you. Also the windows are super thin so if you have trouble sleeping with noise, this is not the place for you. You hear everything from the street, including the music from Margaritaville across the street for all hours of the night!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank sara g
Birch Hills
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

We checked in on Dec 29/12, with a confirmed Junior Suite reservation (I phoned and confirmed) and were given a very small room with a king bed. I immediately returned to the front desk and said that I got the wrong room. They told me they would move me the next day. They did move us to the correct room and it was good except for the problem with paying. We had put a one night deposit upon booking and then tried to pay with our credit card. They tried 3 (no balances) and none worked, but they said that we could get cash out of their ATM. I checked and all 3 went through and then were reversed. Cost us about $20 per transaction. Not impressed, but will be talking to my credit card companies. The manager did give me a refund for the first night. Difference between what the cost was between the room I booked and the one we got.

My family came to meet us on one day and they phoned first and were told we were not registered, but when they got there told them our room number? Not a big deal to me, but may be to others!

Beds are hard as rock, and all sounds come through the doors, but the staff tried their best.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple