“Perfectly located in the middle of the hotel zone”

Flamingo Cancun Resort
Ranked #75 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Perfectly located in the middle of the hotel zone”
Reviewed 22 November 2010

The Flamingo Cancun Resort is a great hotel for the price. Located in the middle of the hotel zone around km 11, this hotel provided all the comforts a traveler may need plus attractions that are within walking distance for those who would prefer to save money for fun rather than taxis. The hotel has a more authentic feel to it unlike some of the mega resorts in the hotel zone and friendly staff makes you feel like you at ease. The pool is centrally located and can be seen on every floor. It has an island in the middle with arched bridges connecting two sides and a third to the food and bar area which also has a swim up section. There is a volleyball net set up as well. There is an activity board set up near the pool and has a nice variety of things to do for guests each day. Just off the lobby is a lounge area with bar, pool table, and semi private alcoves for a more romantic setting. The best feature however is the fantastic view and easy access to the beach. From the room I stayed in there was a large balcony that overlooked the beach and pool area and was refreshing to wake up to go out on each morning. The Flamingo has a section of beach and has deck chairs set out for guests and there is also a staffed lifeguard stand so parents with children they have you covered. The beach was also well maintained, no garbage or kelp and minimal sharp seashells. The rooms were a nice size and clean. There was a tub and shower combo that if on a romantic getaway could easily fit two. Overall I was very happy with my choice in this resort I chose to not do the all inclusive inorder to get a local flavor and paid $68/night off season. At that price I got everything I wanted and more.

1 Thank smtrunks19

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed 18 November 2010

We recently came back from our Honeymoon from Mexico, Flamingo Cancun Resort.

We left dublin on the 8th of November, fly over to Amsterdam and with MartinAir to Cancun. Check in to Flamingo Cancun at 11pm local time in Mexico.

At reception we were welcome by Hotel reception and we were offer to help us with our bags to our Hotel Room.

We have booked all inclusive bases and we got wrist bands at check in (form of id )

The room 103 was facing the beach and it was a Junior Suite. Got upgrated by Orbitz staff as it was our honeymoon there. W e also got bottle of wine and cheese platter ready waiting in our hotel room.

Hotel was clean, on the daily bases housekeeping service plus change sheets every 2 days. Aircon in the room so helpfull as it was quite warm on some nites :-)

Hotel doesnt have safes in rooms, I mean they have but not working so in order to leave your valuables somwhere they have safes at reception. You are given your individual key and you make sure that you keep this key in the safe place as you are signing paper that when you loose it the replacement cost is $125, as your are giving your credit card details for that.

Also they have european adapters at reception, $20 deposit.

The exchange rate at the hotel is as following: $11.30 to USD, 15.20 to Euro

It is better across the street bank called BANROTE, but to change the money there you have to bring your passport, Very Important !!! Otherwise they will not do it for you :-)

Also across the street from Flamingo there is a shopping mail with a lot of Souvenirs from Cancun.

Inside the Hotel there is a Travel agent called Lomas Travel, guy called Ray or Jose. Best service with them, do not book elswhere.... They will look after you plus they will give you great discounts :-)

Louis is the Entertainment staff who provides entertaintment every day. Morning time you can play bingo at the main pool, valleyball in pool, bowling etc... You can also win attractive prises and its so easy.

Hotel have two swimming pools and also Gym, but the Gym is pure for Cardio not free weights.

At nite Louis does Dinner show one night, other mexican salsa night, Black Jack and if you want to go out ask him also as he will take you to the best clubs in town plus for cheaper price he will get you VIP table in CocoBongo, The City, Daddy O'S etc.. He goes every day at 10.30pm. Great lad

Transport in Cancun so easy. Taxi rip-off. Use buses, they are 24h a day and the cost enywhere with them is 7,5 peso, less than a dollar. Taxi between 5USD TO 10 USD depending how far you want to go.

Hotel on all inclusive bases have 3 restaurants. Breakfast full buffet with large variety of fresh fruits, juices, hot food, omletts etc. Lunch at the main restaurant buffet huge variety of food great taste, Also Restaurant facing Sea and Pool Bar serving Pizzas Hotdogs and hamburgers.

Great variety of drinks at the bars, a lot of cocktalis. If you are not all incl. Cocktail cost average 66 peso each.

Great stay again would reccomend to anyone. Good 3 star property with great location

Would recomend to see: Chichen Itza - old Mayan Town, Xaret Park ask Ray from lomas travel for all inclusive trip they have great show at the end, Bob Scuba diving

Would reccomend: Manta Divers girl called Mimi, fantastic prices fully insured great variety of diving tripos, check their website cos you can only book them via internet or phone as they dont really deal with travel agents. They are also 10 min away from the hotel

5 Thank paddy-finglas-dublin
Rowlett, Texas
Reviewed 16 November 2010

This property is small and simple but it is very clean and nice. It seemed that everywhere you look there was always someone cleaning or painting. There are a lot of steps throughout the property so if mobility is an issue for you, this might complicate your stay.

All of the staff members were consistently pleasant and welcoming. The food was wonderful at both restaurants and the snack bar so it was not a problem that there were not many restaurants to choose from.

The hotel was not at all crowded during our stay so we never had a problem finding chairs at the beach or pools. Due to the limited size, I imagine it might get very crowded during busier times. The pools are not heated and both were very cold the second week of November. One of the two pools does not have a bar so if you plan to swim at the pool beach you will have to walk across the property to the other pool to get drinks.

We had a standard room with a view of the beach. It was very simply furnished but clean. The linens were a bit worn and we never received washcloths, only towels. We did not have a fridge since it was a standard room but were left two water bottles the first two days of our stay. After that, housekeeping said we would need to obtain water from the lobby. Housekeeping also got started early each morning and were quite loud in the hallways. I don't sleep in late so I wasn't bothered but if you like to sleep much past 8am you might be disturbed. There was not a safe in the room but I did use a safety deposit box at the front desk so it wasn't a big deal.

Overall, it was well worth what I paid and I did get the all-inclusive option. If I were looking for an inexpensive, no-frills trip I would definitely stay here again. I probably would prefer to stay here at a warmer time because the pool wasn't really swimmable but I would not want to go during the busiest times because I think it would be too crowded to relax.

• Stayed November 2010
2 Thank amnesiac1c
tuscaloosa
Reviewed 7 November 2010

My husband and I just returned from 6 days at the Flamingo and we had a great time there. Couple disclaimers... August - December is low season for the Cancun area, so the hotel was at about 50% capacity, and the city really showed the low volume of visitors everywhere we went. I think that made the entire experience more enjoyable for us. Also, we have stayed everywhere from 5-star hotels to places that don't know what a "star" is. We can be happy anywhere, depending on what we're looking for, if its clean and safe. If you're looking for a 5-star resort at a 2-star price, this is not it.

Short version:
If you have reasonable expectations and are looking for a value resort, this place is excellent. Service is excellent, rooms are very clean, beach is gorgeous, location is perfect, and food is good.

Long version:
We booked the all-inclusive plan with a junior suite, both of which I highly recommend. We were in room 111. The suite was right on the beach and had a semi-private sundeck with lounge chairs. It was spacious and furnishings were not luxurious, but nice. I briefly saw in one of the standard rooms when passing by, and for the price I thought our room was much nicer with a better view. The room was kept immaculately clean by housekeeping. Every day they left clean towels, cleaned the bathroom, floors (and even moved our shoes to do so), made the bed, restocked the mini-bar, etc. And I'm not sure if its an assumption that people sleep late in Cancun, or if it has to do with the location of our room, but they always came around lunch after we had left the room. They never woke us up, as I've had happen at other hotels when sleeping late. Our bed was not hard as I've heard most beds in Cancun are. It already had an additional pad on top, and was quite comfortable. There was plenty of storage space for our clothes and luggage. Ladies, the hangers are removable (not the annoying kind made with rings) so you can take hanging items into the bathroom if you need to steam-out wrinkles. The room had a nice flat-screen TV with Spanish & English channels, a sitting area, desk, mini-fridge/mini bar that had 3 canned drinks (Pepsi, etc), 2 beers, and 2 waters. (It was included in our room, but not mentioned anywhere online.) Free wireless is available upstairs in the lobby & bar area. We could also get a weak signal outside on the sundeck.

We took a Hertz shuttle from the airport to the hotel (highly recommend purchasing your transfers online btw, much cheaper.) The Flamingo is in a great location, right in the middle of the "hotel zone", across the street from Margaritaville and a small shopping area with souvenir stores, a deli, convenience store, etc. There is a bus stop right next to the hotel, which we used to get almost everywhere we went ($8.50 pesos one way).

The staff at the hotel are great and most speak good English. Check-in was fast, and our room was ready even though we were several hours early. We saw people cleaning absolutely everywhere we went. Cleaning windows, painting, cleaning floors, washing the tile in the pool area, cleaning the beach, you name it. There was security personnel at the front at all times (from what we saw) and I saw one guy on the beach at night a couple times as well. The waiters at the restaurants are wonderful - we really liked Benjamin and Raul especially! They go out of there way to make your experience better and all are very grateful for tips. We saw many customers not tip, even at dinner for table service. I understand with an all-inclusive that its not required, but IMHO its well-deserved, especially for how hard the staff works.

There are two restaurants at the hotel, La Fuente, which is a buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The buffet food there is okay, but the grill station is excellent. They make omelets for breakfast and stir-frys for lunch and dinner. Albatross is the sit-down restaurant and its open for lunch and dinner. I thought the food there was good and several dishes were what I would call excellent. Their ceviche and fajita dishes were particularly good, sea bass was wonderful, and they serve a fish dish with a red spice that is excellent. I only got one item that I actually disliked, and it was a shrimp & pastry appetizer. Most deserts were just "okay" except for the chocolate cake, which I really liked. The deserts were not very sweet to me, so if you don't like alot of sugar you wouldn't mind them. All water and ice that they serve is filtered, and we had no tummy issues during our stay. The only specific complaint that we had were the hours of the two restaurants. Albatross opens a little late for lunch for us... I think it was 12:30... so if you wake up late and don't want breakfast, you have to wait a bit for lunch to be served.

Now we all know that most Cancun locations have SOME kinda of timeshare salesmen. The Guest Services desk at the Flamingo functions as a concierge desk, and the people are extremely nice, but they will attempt to get you to go for a breakfast next door to hear a timeshare presentation, for which you'll be offered a souvenir bag and swimsuit wrap. You can tell when you first arrive that they are just a little to excited to have you there. We told them "no" once on the first day, and then had to stop and ask them for directions on the second day, which they followed up by another breakfast invitation. After the second polite "no" they didn't ask anymore. We had no problems with them being pushy or rude. They were even very kind to us when we were leaving.

The beach in front of the flamingo is absolutely beautiful, but we did have red flags up for most of our stay. There is a definite undertow along the hotel zone that faces east, and I would not recommend small children play in the water, aside from the edge. We did see several families there and most children played in the sand, at the pool, or in the play area (play houses, swings, trampoline) that sits on the edge of the beach. There are several cabanas as well as lounges on the beach that are very comfortable. There is no drink service on the beach, but the bar is a just short walk upstairs. The hotel offers towels for each person, but you must return them before 6:00pm each day. There are two pool areas, one inside the hotel courtyard, and another beach-front. The courtyard pool is where everyone seemed to congregate, and there were always people at the bar ordering food or drinks. The activities director was great and always had something going on around the pool (volleyball, darts, contests, etc). Alternatively, the beachfront pool was always very quiet.

The buildings overall are in good condition. The lobby and restaurants are great, but the outdoor areas are weathered in some areas. Paint chipping around the pool, little rusty-drip areas on the stucco, etc. Nothing major and nothing that will bother the average person. Again, just don't expect 5-star luxury. There were lots of vacationing locals there during our stay and everyone we met was very nice. The hotel has an overall casual feeling which we liked. People wore everything to dinner, from shorts and t-shirts to just casual beachy dresses, button-ups and shorts. No khaki pants, jackets, ties, black dresses etc.

Now for the few negatives and/or responses to other people's negatives...

I've read several comments about toilet problems. Our toilet did flush, but it is a low-volume tank to conserve water. Thus its a bit weak I would say, but it didn't particularly bother us.

Also, I think someone complained about having to wear a bracelet. If you stay at an all-inclusive in Cancun, you will probably have to wear a bracelet that you are told not to loose. The color lets them know what plan you purchased so you don't have to answer questions every time you order something. I found the system to be quite nice.

We were woken by hotel guests once or twice, as they apparently came in from a night out. I never heard people in other rooms otherwise, and these loud people, I believe, were walking down the inside corridors.

Our room had no alarm clock and no TV remote. We called and requested one of each, but were told that the hotel does not have alarm clocks. A staff member quickly brought us a remote and programmed it for our TV (flat screen btw). As a result of not having an alarm clock, we ordered wake-up calls every day, which consisted of someone actually coming to your door and knocking. Out of 5 days, twice they did not come. We mentioned it to the front desk and they apologized, and we did get our wake-up knock the next day.

The one and most annoying negative, which I'll explain the best that I can... our phone seemed to have some kind of a short in it, and it would ring, just once, at random. The problem was that it often did it in the middle of the night. It would ring, just one time, and if you attempted to answer, there was just a dial tone. So, of course, we eventually just unplugged it.

Sorry for the long review, but I wanted to cover everything. If anyone has any questions feel free to msg.

9 Thank lyndseyk
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 November 2010

I took my 19 year old some to Cancun for his graduation gift in June 2008. We were so exited to be away from home and to relax and have fun. We went straight out to the beach and it was so beautiful. The only things we didn't like about the beach was no place to get a drink and too many vendors bugging you to buy stuff.

We got to the pool and the first thing we noticed was it was completely full of kids between the ages 18 and 25. Of course my son loved this but not so fun for me. Later, a lady was walking through the pool area making an announcement that her room was broken into and that the hotel wouldn't do anything about it so she wanted everybody to pack up and leave. Nice... They have safety deposit boxes so we definitely used them after that.
The food was okay, nothing fancy. You may have a problem with it if your picky.
The rooms were fine, again, nothing fancy.
I'm sure it was just temporary but there was a lot of construction going on. There was always banging.
I counted 15 adults in the whole place. The rest were between the ages of 18 and 25. There were two guys from Louisiana who were probably in their 40's coming onto the young girls which really made me sick. I have to say no to recommending this place.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank msgreeneyes39

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Irvine, California
Reviewed 30 October 2010

TThe Flamingo Resort in Cancun was a pleasant surprise at a great value. We just returned from a 10 night stay and were quite impressed. The resort reminded us of Mexican resorts from 25 years ago in style, but it is well maintained and very clean. Having an ocean view room on the 5th floor that was facing south east made the stay there unforgettable. There are 2 pools, one in a central courtyard and the other beachside with a fantastic view of the Caribbean. Our room was spacious with marble floors, a large closet with several shelves, a private balcony and attractive, but simple decor. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There is a small bar off the lobby with a flat screen TV and a pool table. Next to the front desk are 2 computers that are free of charge to use. If you want a book to read there is a reading room off the lobby with a good assortment of books. The beachside Albatross restaurant has reasonable prices for high priced Cancun. The food was average.
The location of the hotel is a plus. Bus stops are just steps away and a convenient way to travel in Cancun (the taxi $$ adds up real quick).
Across the street is the Flamingo Mall with several restaurants, a pharmacy, convenience store and an assortment of shops.
The beach is wide and the hotel has several open style platforms with chaise lounges atop them.
We had to look at 4 rooms before we were happy. Always ask to see your room, they do vary in size,flooring, smell-yes smell-one of the rooms we looked at reeked of cigarette smoke, and condition. The staff was very accommadating and wanted us to be happy with our room. We did have sporadic problems with the A/C-the fan always worked but not the coolant. The hot water in the shower was also sporadic, but we did not have to suffer with cold showers, as the temperature was pleasant. If you must have a HOT bath or shower that may be a problem.
Overall the Flamingo was a great value. By staying here we were able to save a lot of $$ to spend on activities and tours in and around Cancun.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank suzycworld
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 October 2010

I was here during spring break in March. The staff here are very nice and coincidentally we had a room with a balcony and an amazing view and we did not ask or book any special room. There are two tour guides that are very nice and can direct you what to do and where to go. I suggest booking through them rather then trying to find your own outside the hotel. It's easy, safe and anytime you have questions they are right downstair in the lobby.
They have an all inclusive plan if you prefer but I like to explore, eat and see what the locals do so I prefer not the all inclusive plan.
Transportation is easily accessible and the hotel is settle right on the hotel zone so if you happen to walk it's safe as long as you pay attention to your surroundings. Its a short bus ride to the clubs and downtown. All in all, the hotel is clean, affordable and a plus is friendly staff!

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flyy07
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#51 of 175 in Cancun
Oasis Palm
Oasis Palm
#77 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Flamingo Cancun Resort? Share your experiences!