“The good with the bad....”

Omni Cancun Resort & Villas
Ranked #39 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Fort Worth, Texas
“The good with the bad....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

A group of 7 of us recently stayed at the Omni last week. While we were finishing up our check in, the front desk asked for all of our passports. Assuming he wanted to verify our names to our reservation we handed them over. Then he started talking really fast and proceeded to make copies of them stating it was just in case we wanted to exchange currencies....???? We were completely confused since we never asked about exchanging currencies.....I tried to stop him but he was on the phone and ignored me. We asked the people next to us checking in if they had their passports copied, which they said "No." We finally got his attention and told him we were not needing to exchange currency so he needed to give us back our passports and any and all copies he made...and he was like "okay". I've stayed at other resorts in Mexico before and have never experienced this before. Has anyone ever had this happened to them? Is this a common practice at this hotel??

Beside this incident, overall this hotel is great. The staff are very friendly and extremely accommodating (of course a tip will help them remember you the next time they see you, but even if you don't they'll still do anything you ask with a smile.) Food is not bad for an AI with tons of different options all over the resort. The buffet restaurant, La Paloma, is indoors so you don't have to worry about the heat or bugs, but have the option to sit on patio if you want. There's also a grill hut, a sushi hut and pool side open-air restaurant for quick lunches. We did the Italian ala carte restaurant, Da Vinci, for dinner and the service is like going to a 5 star restaurant. A plus for this resort is the 24 hr room service! And not to mention the free wi-fi, you just have to remember to log back on everyday since it won't connect automatically.

They do not water down their drinks....they're actually pretty strong but with cheap liquor. Plenty of pools for everyone (a quiet and relaxing pool, sunbathing pool, party pool and two hot tubs) with an easy walk to the prettiest blue water beach and beautiful views. The main pool has awesome staff working that area with cheesy, fun entertainment and gets everyone involved from pool volleyball to line dancing by the pool. But the night entertainment is lacking although they try. They more or less try to sell you club packages which include shuttle there but you have to find your own ride back (we took the 15 min bus ride back for a $1/person), entrance to club with a table and "open bar" (aka all the cheap liquor you wanna drink). Definitely would recommend Coco Bongo, worth the price but definitely negotiate price at hotel (we paid $57/person w/o table-you don't need table if you plan on dancing all night or you could pay $65/person to sit during the shows and people watch)-> do not pay door price ($75/person)!

I would definitely return to this hotel if I was looking for a resort to just relax on the beach and/or pool but not until more remodeling/upgrades have been done. We stayed in one of their 3 story villas, every time it rained all the balcony sliding glass doors would leak water all over the floor and down the stairs. My bedroom actually had the ceiling leak water over the bed after a heavy night storm. And some of the balcony doors didn't even lock, one of the tubs wouldn't drain and there is absolute no water pressure so shampooing your hair took forever!! But maintenance was always there to fix the next day, they even sent a bottle of champagne one night for our troubles.

Sorry for the long post....but my last two cents is: your vacation is what you make of it. Who cares if the doors leak, you're at the BEACH!!! Have fun!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MsRosey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

This hotel is a very good value if you book using Costco Travel, Groupon or similar discount sights. You can find all-inclusive rates for Ocean views for about $180/night. The beach and pools are spectacular--rivaling 5 star resorts. Moreover, the personnel are very friendly, funny and helpful. We enjoyed the wide selection of fresh fruit and vegetables at the buffet, as well as the a la carte meals at Deva & Da Vinci. In general the food is decent, but considering it's all-you-can-eat, the quality is better than I expected.

Without a doubt, the ocean view room is a must have. This is one of the best views in the world. Also, the rooms, although clean, have fallen into disrepair in the past 20+ years since the hotel was built. The staff does a good job keeping them clean, but we had problems with our faucets leaking, a bit of mold & rust, and 3 times during the trip the hot water was turned off.

That raises the biggest issue which was the facilities. The spa & gym are currently under construction (Oct 2013), thus unavailable. A temporary 5-person gym was installed next to the beach. I was pretty upset about this at first, because I like to spend a few hours a day at the spa & gym when relaxing. I was able to get into a routine using the stairwells and running on the beach, so after a day it didn't matter to me as much. I still think it's rather dishonest not to inform customers of the lack of a gym & spa before booking. It's a big selling point of resorts like this.

Beyond that the hotel is in a bit of disrepair externally. The facades are rather weather-worn and rusted. My heart sunk a bit when we pulled up because the hotel didn't have that wow factor I was hoping to surprise my wife with, but overall it's not terrible. Just temper your expectations a bit before arriving. The marketing photos are a bit misleading.

In summary it's hard to simply my rating into a 1-5 star scale. The views, beaches,pools & service are 5 stars. The rooms get 3 stars for being clean yet worn out. The food is 3 stars. And finally the facilities are 1 star. And the fact that they were dishonest about the lack of gym & spa is rather irritating. Keep all this in mind as you're deciding on this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a ocean view (must) on a high floor (17+), away from the elevators and away from the construc...
2 Thank tonymet
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

The resort is beautiful and the beach is superb. However, the food was average. They did not have enough vegetarian selections. Often the buffet selection was the same and was not warm. Expected more from an Omni resort.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Avparikh14
Atherstone, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

This was my first time in cancun, and in the omni hotel and ive had a amazing time only stayed for a week but its definatly worth staying at omni all the staff are really friendly and couldnt do more for you, the entertainment at night is always great always set off a great atmosphere elliot, marco, and carlos the entertainment staff are so friendly and made my holiday!! there always doing different activities through the day and they are so funny, the shows at night are always really entertaining and its always a different show every night brilliant very entertaining :)! the restaurants are all really nice and really nice food, the waiter elias is really lovely that Works in the buffet in the mornings always very helpful and would do anything for you. the rooms are really nice and are cleaned daily and get new towels twice a day, you get free wifi all over the hotel that u can use when ever you want. Overall ive had a brilliant holiday definatly would come to this hotel again i would recommend it to anyone.

1 Thank Sophie C
Pueblo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

The food was excellent. Enjoyed the themed buffets at La Paloma. Dinner at DaVinci was divine. Had sushi & salad every day - it was that good. The pool games were fun and interactive. Did yoga in the morning @ 10am, not to early. Got to hold a baby sea turtle that was going to be released that evening.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Omni hotel for one night before our flight out of Cancun and deeply regretted it. We had been travelling around Southern Mexico for 15 days and this hotel was the worst by far.

There were some positive points: the staff (with the exception of the front desk & management) were very nice and helpful, the room was also nice and clean.

Unfortunately this was no-way near enough make up for the negative aspects of the hotel. The most prominent being the conduct of Duty Manager Manuel Palma. He was generally disinterested in helping us, rude to my girlfriend (English or Spanish are not her first language) and when my credit card was decline he took the opportunity to 'inform' us that he would call the police if we didn't settle the bill - despite the fact we clearly trying to pay it! My girlfriend paid with her credit card instead, but he remained unpleasant toward us.

The food was overall bland, overcooked, luke-warm and of generally low quality - much worse than any food we had in Mexico (and we ate at a number of very cheap places around mexico)

The atmosphere was very impersonal the hotel had a very crowded feel and you got the feeling hotel is more interested in extracting every last dollar they can from their guests, rather than ensuring they have a pleasant experience.

There are so many better hotels at lower prices available in Cancun and mexico I have no idea why anyone would come here. Just stay away.

3 Thank Alexander D
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

The Omni Cancun was my first experience in an all inclusive resort. I stayed for 3 days with a group from work for a sales conference. The hotel is conveniently located a short ride from the Cancun Airport, the ocean front location is amazing, the rooms are well appointed and very clean, and the staff is just wonderful. Everyone I met had a smile and a great attitude which made you feel welcome and well taken care of. I only tried a couple of restaurants at the resort. I had excellent breakfasts, very good sushi, I ordered off the menu at the beach restaurant to get some camarones al ajo (sautéed shrimp with garlic) which I really enjoyed, and I had meal at a dinner buffet which I did not care much for, as for my taste it was bland. I did not make it to the Italian restaurant which needed reservations way ahead of time. I found the value very good, but if you are a foodie you will have to choose where you eat carefully. If I needed to do an all inclusive again, say with a large family party, I would return to the Omni for the facilities, location, and lovely staff.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean front with a balcony. So worth it!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business