“Nothing else matters if the staff are loathsome”
Review of Hostal Mayapan

Hostal Mayapan
Ranked #27 of 79 Cancun B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Usually I am quite a positive reviewer and as you can see from my reviews, I am not shy of staying in hostels and I also have plenty of experience travellign around Latin America. I booked through an online booking service as I was in Cancun over the weekend for a swimming competition. I made this really clear in the email that I needed somewhere fairly tranquil and if it was a party hostel let me know. I had to stay in the Zona Hotelera as the start of the competition was there and we started early. It was the cheapest option and I thought I would be able to grin and bear it for only 2 nights. How wrong I was.

Form the minute I walked through the door I was faced with someone who must literally be the rudest, most ignorant and most obnoxious woman I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. She was abrupt, curt and honestly, a dreadful speciman of someone who has chosen to work in hospitality. Her behaviour was completely unmitigated on my part. She rudely informed me that there was no AC in the dorm even though it quite clearly states on the website and IN THE DORM! that there is partial AC: I thought she might have been racist (I have dark skin) but when speaking to some of the other people, it turns out she had been just as offensive and nasty with everyone. Again, for no reason. It just seemed to be her manner.

Breakfast was a joke - cornflakes and tetrapak milk. The toilets didn't flush properly and there wasn't always toilet paper. The hostel was generally filthy. Rubbish was left lying around and no one bothered to pick it up. My key got taken - I lnow who did it but instead of checking I was just told I had lost my key deposit. Be prepared to be charged for every little thing. The shower heads were covered in limescale so only one or two jets of water came out but to be fair, there was plenty of hot water. You can't sit outside the dorms as the place is infested with mosquitoes. Daily sparying and good hygeine would take care of that. However, you are forced to because there is no wifi coverage in the dorms. Also, the dorms are far too hot. There arem't enough fans. Each section on the dorm shuld have its own little fan (or each bunk as shown in the photos.

It's not often I write such a negative review but then again, I have never been trated so badly for no reason other than wanting to stay in the hostel. Book a hostel downtown and take the bus in to the beach. It's cheaper, friendlier and cleaner. If a hostel has posters on the back of each door offereing free bottles of water for positive reviews, you know something must be amiss...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank HTH_12

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Hostel is in a great location only a minutes work from all the nightlife in Cancun. There's a free breakfast and a shop in the hostel, rooms are clean with good airconditiong, WiFi just worked in the room we were in. Seemed like the best place to stay if you're on a budget!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The hostal is in a great location with the beach and the bars very close by. The staff were helpful and although the dorms are for 20 or so they are spacious. I stayed here two nights and really enjoyed it. There is free wifi, the kitchen is always clean and it is well equipped and a supermarket near by

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Really enjoyed staying here it's weird that it's in a old shopping plaza but that adds to the charm clean and tidy. Comes with breakfast and air conditioning, seemed to be very safe, thanks we had a good time here

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Megroid
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Super clean, well located, good staff and safe for your things, security controls. Very good place. The best choice in cancun whit Party área. Beach and many stores in hotel zone. Internet air condition.. For sure go there

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The hostel is close to all the party place including Coco Bongo and other nice clubs. Staffs are kind and helpful! I recommend you to choose separated room, because there is almost no privacy if you choose the cheapest one.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank K56oku
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I came here with my 4 other friends, and we all stayed in 1 room together. This was my first experience in a hostel and I was freaked out at first because I didn't realize that the bathrooms are shared by guys and girls and the rooms are exposed to everyone (unless you pay a little extra for a room with a door). But I can say that I had a great experience here, met some fun and cool young people, the staff is really nice, and the clubs are all walking distance from here.

• Stayed: March 2014