“Backpackers choice”
Review of Hostal Mayapan

Hostal Mayapan
Ranked #27 of 79 Cancun B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

For the price there is no alternative. The building used to be a mall, which makes this location steange and somehow pretty cool. I stayed at the dorm that was clean enough. Bathroom is also the usual cleanliness in bigger hostels. If you're not picky, this is your place. Only bad thing: the breakfast is a joke.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Valentinhagedorn

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I don't understand why there are so many bad reviews, bathrooms good condition, bedrooms are safe and comfortable. Staff are very friendly and helpful, and if your wanting to go for a night out in Cancun, the hostel is very close so you can just walk and no worry about taxis. Stayed here twice I enjoyed it that much.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Scott H
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Average rooms, dirty bathrooms, staff was rude and unhelpful and they try to charge you for every single thing you do. Honestly, transportation in Cancun is not that hard so if you are looking for a good price, I would rather take the bus and stay in Cancun centro or another place but this terrible hostel. The only "good thing" is that they have free wifi, but the bad thing is that it did not work.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Raquel B
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed here for three nights in cancun. The dorm room is unbearable unless they turn on the AC. The woman who works there on the day we arrived showed us to our room and when I asked if she would turn on the AC she just left and didn't return. We were tired so I just decided to endure a night of heat. It was not good. A younger guy was there over he weekend thank god! Give that boy a pay raise he was great! Very helpful and great with accommodating the AC. Overall a very below average stay, not much to do around he area, beach is sort of close though! Just have to be brave and try and walk through a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nina S
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Usually I am quite a positive reviewer and as you can see from my reviews, I am not shy of staying in hostels and I also have plenty of experience travellign around Latin America. I booked through an online booking service as I was in Cancun over the weekend for a swimming competition. I made this really clear in the email that I needed somewhere fairly tranquil and if it was a party hostel let me know. I had to stay in the Zona Hotelera as the start of the competition was there and we started early. It was the cheapest option and I thought I would be able to grin and bear it for only 2 nights. How wrong I was.

Form the minute I walked through the door I was faced with someone who must literally be the rudest, most ignorant and most obnoxious woman I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. She was abrupt, curt and honestly, a dreadful speciman of someone who has chosen to work in hospitality. Her behaviour was completely unmitigated on my part. She rudely informed me that there was no AC in the dorm even though it quite clearly states on the website and IN THE DORM! that there is partial AC: I thought she might have been racist (I have dark skin) but when speaking to some of the other people, it turns out she had been just as offensive and nasty with everyone. Again, for no reason. It just seemed to be her manner.

Breakfast was a joke - cornflakes and tetrapak milk. The toilets didn't flush properly and there wasn't always toilet paper. The hostel was generally filthy. Rubbish was left lying around and no one bothered to pick it up. My key got taken - I lnow who did it but instead of checking I was just told I had lost my key deposit. Be prepared to be charged for every little thing. The shower heads were covered in limescale so only one or two jets of water came out but to be fair, there was plenty of hot water. You can't sit outside the dorms as the place is infested with mosquitoes. Daily sparying and good hygeine would take care of that. However, you are forced to because there is no wifi coverage in the dorms. Also, the dorms are far too hot. There arem't enough fans. Each section on the dorm shuld have its own little fan (or each bunk as shown in the photos.

It's not often I write such a negative review but then again, I have never been trated so badly for no reason other than wanting to stay in the hostel. Book a hostel downtown and take the bus in to the beach. It's cheaper, friendlier and cleaner. If a hostel has posters on the back of each door offereing free bottles of water for positive reviews, you know something must be amiss...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank HTH_12
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Hostel is in a great location only a minutes work from all the nightlife in Cancun. There's a free breakfast and a shop in the hostel, rooms are clean with good airconditiong, WiFi just worked in the room we were in. Seemed like the best place to stay if you're on a budget!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The hostal is in a great location with the beach and the bars very close by. The staff were helpful and although the dorms are for 20 or so they are spacious. I stayed here two nights and really enjoyed it. There is free wifi, the kitchen is always clean and it is well equipped and a supermarket near by

• Stayed: May 2014