“Extremely dissatisfied with our stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Maya Cancun

Casa Maya Cancun
Ranked #67 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Extremely dissatisfied with our stay”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The hotel is in a perfect location and has a great beach, but there are several issues that, when combined, left me feeling extremely dissatisfied.

Firstly, we had booked a room with a king bed, but on entering the room we had two queen beds. On querying this with reception, we were informed that they do not have any king beds in their hotel and that Expedia was wrong in offering this. Should we have any issues with this, we should contact Expedia. Correct me if I am wrong, but is it not the hotel's responsibility to ensure that Expedia has the correct information??? To their credit, they did move our 2 queen beds together and it provided a workable solution.

Secondly, the carpets in the room were very horribly dirty. My son was crawling all over, and after being on the carpet for a minute or two, his hands, knees and feet were coloured grey from the dust. We have already stayed in several hotels with him, and I this is the first time that has ever happened. Perhaps they should invest in several proper vacuum cleaners.

Thirdly, our included kitchenette, was not really up to standard. While everything was working, the dishwasher was so badly rusted inside that we never used it. The heating elements of the stove actually had rust flaking off them and I did not dare open the oven. The kitchen cupboards looked like they had been through a hurricane.

Fourthly, with our stay we were offered breakfast vouchers (as a perk of booking through Expedia) and we purchased several vouchers for lunch and dinner as well. Since we were part of a group of six (all of which are family), of which all the guests were staying in the same hotel (albeit in different rooms), we decided to save some of our vouchers and all have breakfast together on the final day. Once breakfast was completed, we were informed that the vouchers could only be used for people staying in our room and not for any other parties. While the other meal vouchers were transferable, the breakfast vouchers are were not transferable. While I can understand that the hotel policy is that vouchers were not transferable, perhaps they should implement earlier checks, i.e. before we sit down for breakfast. Or perhaps explain the non-transferability of the vouchers when these are actually issued to us.

Fifthly, when trying to sort out the issue with the breakfast vouchers, the hotel refused to budge at all. To be fair to them, we did eat breakfast there, but at the same time, their policy was never explained to us, we were all part of the same party (which was made clear at check-in) and we did not consider this to be a transfer of breakfast vouchers, since these were all paying guests and part of our party.

Lastly, when we were unable to find a solution to the problem, I was politely informed that should I refuse to pay, hotel security would not allow me to leave the premises, the police would be called in, and since it was our last day, I would miss my flight. I am sorry, but since the hotel never explained their policy regarding these policies properly, that amounts to blackmail.

After this trip, I do not know if I will visit Mexico again, but if I do, I will definitely not be staying here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank grau12345

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
South Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

1st visit to Cancun and hopefully the first of many. Casa Maya is one of a few resorts that is not all-inclusive and gives you the flexibility to explore all the offerings of the hotel zone. The facility is older but well maintained. The pools and beach area are the main attraction. They are superb. The staff was all very friendly and very helpful especially our outstanding concierge Sergio.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Robert P
Suffern, NY
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My wife and I exchanged a timeshare week and stayed at the Casa Maya in Cancun, Mexico. We had a wonderful time. We had a one bedroom unit on the seventh floor with a terrace that gave us views of the Caribbean on one side and the lagoon on the other. Our unit had a partial kitchen (refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, four-burner stove, but no oven.) We ate our breakfasts and lunches in and bought our dinners on the buffet meal plan, which is available for a very reasonable price. There is also an outdoor dining area where we had a number of dinners.
The hotel is gorgeous: the lobby; the restaurant, which has a breath-taking view of the pool area and beach; our unit was immaculate. Service people came in everyday to clean. They even fixed the lock from the bedroom to the terrace, and I had not even asked them.
The hotel has two pools, a children's pool, and a hot tub. Just beyond the pool is the beach with plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas. They also have a reasonable laundry service.
We were in Cancun in mid-February and the temperatures are routinely about 80°F every day with plenty of sunshine. Bring a lot of sunscreen. We did and it helped us really enjoy our stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jonathanwaffles
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My boyfriend and i stayed here
For 9 nights on from the 6th feb.we came to cancun primarily for the nightlife and are students so we were on a budget. For what we paid the resort was excellent value for money, nice beach, nice pool,nice lobby, clean etc etc. so i must say i do find some of these reviews harsh as if you expect 5 star service then you should be willing to pay for a 5 star resort....

Our check in ran incredibly smoothly and there was no mention of time shares or anything that other people on the reviews seem to be mentioning though every morning at breakfast i did see people being spoken to by the same women regarding time shares.

I will now list the three problems i had with the resort.keep in mind i am nit picking incase anyone reading this is interested in this info before they book here, but as i said easier this resort is good for the price.

We got to our room only to find it did not have a balcony, unlike what was listed in our room description. When the porter came up with our bags i asked him why we did not have a balcony despite paying for a balcony room, he rung reception and then explained 'there are no balcony rooms left at the moment but go to reception in the morning to see if theres any available.

Ummm, hold on. No balcony rooms left?i booked and PAID for a balcony room in october13.therefore a balcony room should have been put aside for us at the time of the booking?we didnt bother with the hassle of seeing if we could change rooms and just kept to where we were.

We were provided with a little kitchenette which had a microwave toaster etc etc which was good. BUT we were expected to leave all of the bowls plates and cutlery spotless as apparently the maid service doesnt cater to cleaning the dishes? I found this quite obscure.

The third thing that annoying me was that the staff who worked at the Buffett expected a tip. I am from australia, where we do not tip at all. I understand some countries do it differently but come on, im not going to give you money at a SELF SERVE buffet just because you poured me a cup of coffee???

The resort is a decent location, about a 3 min bus ride from the main spots, you never have to wait more than 30 seconds for a bus. This resort is great for people on a budget. The staff were very kind and helpful. The room was very clean, and the bathroom was really nice. Wouldve been good to have one king bed instead of two doubles but that was no biggie at all.

On the same budget i would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Alanahowe
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 17 February 2014

No balcony, not even a window to open. And no fan in the bathroom. The A/C was either on (TOO COLD) or off (TOO HOT) they don't have a thermostat.
Which meant getting up in the middle of the night to turn it off.
If you turned the hot water it had a nasty sour smell to it.
I felt they were punishing me for not buying their vacation club.
They said they would try to relocate my room but didn't even call back as promised.
Don't waste your money eating here, for the price you can get a 4 star dinner elsewhere.
DON'T buy your tours or excursions here either, they act like they are giving you a discount but you can buy them cheaper on the strip or downtown.
DON'T use US dollars anywhere in Cancun, they don't give you the going rate, currently it is 13.21 per dollar they give you 11.00. The exchange places give you 12.25. Better off using your Visa or MasterCard.
I called Visa before my trip, some of them charge a small percentage for using your card out of the country but it is still a better rate.
DON'T pay full price for anything. Especially taxi cabs! The hotel taxi wanted $25 to go 7 miles. I got it for $8.
DON't be afraid to go downtown at night, Cancun is very safe!

The maids and staff were the best thing about Casa Maya.
Hubby ordered the pizza late one night, it was horrible. We called it desperate pizza meaning we would only eat it if we were starving and there was nothing else to eat.
The hot tub is actually a warm tub, they have to keep adding hot water to it.
I don't think there is any chlorine in it either?
NEVER going back! I hated their little game of holding the keys to my room for a timeshare presentation.

Room Tip: I guess you have to buy into their vacation club, I couldn't get a decent room after several com...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelingon2wheels
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 February 2014

overall I have no complaints with this hotel/time share. the only thing I didn't like was that they kind of hold your keys hostage at check in to try and do the time share talk. we had a bad airport experience and the wife was crabby and they got the hint pretty quick that we didn't want to be bothered with it and we got our room keys. definitely go to walmart and buy your drinks and a small Styrofoam cooler to carry down to the pool or beach. this will save you hundreds if you like to have cocktails at the beach! room was cleaned and mopped every day. pizza from the wood burning oven was really good and being from Chicago i was surprised how good it was. buffet was pricey so we never ate at our resort which kind of stinks but I think it was 185 pesos per person so about $17. this place is not the top of the line and it is older so don't expect a lavish resort style setting. it does have a very nice stretch of beach that is calm and swimmable!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank kevin r
Stillwater, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Everything that fussy, nit-picky travelers usually complain about..... shouldn't have a problem with this resort/hotel.......right down to plenty of hot water and great water pressure, very friendly staff, very nice pool/hot tub area and food bars, great location and a lot of fantastic beach, bars & restaurants, speedy elevators, plenty of clean towels, soaps, & toiletries, and the toilets flush every time......enough? A return visit would not be a problem. (Oh...they did a great job setting up the lobby area for viewing the Super Bowl!)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends