“Great beach, average room”
Review of Casa Maya Cancun

Casa Maya Cancun
Ranked #61 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I will start with the good things. As most of the reviewers have mentioned the beach is great, but we like to walk the beach and you were limited in how far you could walk due the the waterway just a few resorts down in one direction and rocks in the other direction. The staff was wonderful. Everyone from the front desk staff to housekeeping was more than accommodating. The pool area was nice and we did enjoy the brick oven pizza along with most of the food we had there. Unfortunately for us there were some negatives. The rooms are dated and not well stocked with kitchen essentials. The biggest negative was the very uncomfortable hard bed, they really need to invest in some better mattresses. Housekeeping did do a great job of keeping everything clean though. The hot tubs were cold, which was very disappointing. As a couple without kids we found that the pools were a little too noisy, not just because of the kids, but because of the activities going on all day. We did play pool volleyball one day and had a great time, but would have preferred more quiet time at the pool. We did find another pool over by the workout room later in the week where you could relax in quiet though! It is a decent and reasonably priced family resort, but not what we were looking for. I have stayed at the Royal Resorts on previous trips and there is no comparison in quality. The Royal Caribbean and Islander are older like Casa Maya, but they pay attention to the details to make your stay comfortable and relaxing. I wouldn't stay there again, but more because it didn't suit our needs. It was a clean friendly resort so not all bad by any means.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CCaligirl
There are newer reviews for Casa Maya Cancun

Reviewed 4 March 2014

What can I say, the Casa Maya was great and hands down had one of the friendliest staff I have ever dealt with. I went with my fiance and another couple who own a timeshare at Casa Maya and it really was nice. A little construction being done but didnt bother me. The pool and activities(Water Volleyball, Spanish Bingo, Beach Volleyball, water aerobics and so on) were great. All the staff for the pool area bar were outstanding. They did not want you to go thirsty, and they werent pushy either. I am not going to keep going on and on about the trip but it was great. Awesome people we got to meet and the awesome staff we got to meet!

Room Tip: Just ask for a room with a balcony looking to the ocean.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jack P
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I don't know about all these bad reviews -- I'm sure folks did get crummy rooms and the like and I can understand their negative comments – but, for us, we had a great time at Casa Maya this past week. Thanks to everyone on the Cancun Forum who gave me great input. Let me catalog my review as I know certain things are more important than others to folks.

Beach: this is THE most important thing to me, so that's what I'll start with. And if a beautiful, soft sand, crystal clear, calm water, wide beach is what you want, you will find it here (the beach is as nice as the one at the Intercontinental Presidente and, in my opinion, even Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres, which I visited last year and this trip). I walked up to the Oasis Palm and to the Royal Cancun – their beaches don’t even compare – narrow, sea grass, some pebbly sand and PACKED (and loud). Okay, maybe I’m being a bit harsh, but when it comes to beach, I’m that person who nitpicks the furniture and the food – that’s what’s important to other folks, beach is what is important to me!

Room: If an updated, fancy, marble, flat-screen TV type of room is important to you, this is not the place. The furniture is a bit worn and the rug is old (and I think they got the bedspreads and blankets my Aunt Angela threw out in 1975), but I was pleasantly surprised at my room. It was spacious and sunlit. Plenty of hot water, all Spanish TV (not a major issue, but for folks with kids, it can be). The balconies are a bit cave-like, reminiscent of a cement WWII pill-box bunker. Even so, I would have liked to have spent time out there, but a loud generator just below our room (on the fifth floor – 1501, to be exact), pretty much settled that. I at first thought the room was crummy – but I ended up liking it because it was on the end and had an extra window over the couch that other units didn’t have, letting in a lot of light and a lovely view of the lagoon and the massive Mexican flag just behind the hotel.

Food: Food was okay – we were traveling with kids so pretty much ate on-site despite ambitions to do otherwise. Breakfast was included, which was nice as it was the best meal. Overall, good but not sublime. Again, if you are looking for gourmet, this ain’t the place. Excellent French fries, according to my daughter, though.

Reception: I had read the reviews about the time share pitch and getting a nice room, so knew the deal. But I had forgotten to remind my husband about this and he boomed as soon as the time share lady approached us that we were NOT timeshare people and pretty much spoiled our chances of angling for a better room or view. I did go up and look at the room but failed to open the door to the balcony and thus did not notice the grinding generator or general dumpy view immediately below the balcony (beat looking basketball court and parking area), my eyes just naturally went to the gorgeous view of both the sea and the lagoon. She didn’t hassle us to do the time share and we didn’t hassle her for a better room, so a win-win. It’s kind of a stinky approach, really, that whole time share/hold your room hostage bit – but it’s all laid out here in the reviews, so you shouldn’t really be surprised by it. Still, I wish you could just pay extra and get the room you want.

Service: The people working at this hotel are incredibly nice. Yes, they sometimes have to enforce some crummy policies, but don’t shoot the messenger. This is not the Ritz and some skin-flinty policies will reflect that. That said, every person we encountered was sunny and friendly and helpful. I want to especially note the actions of Jose in the lobby. We left a bunch of stuff in a taxi and he went ABOVE and BEYOND to help us get it back – called the company, called the union. Just amazing – and we got the stuff back! I can’t say enough good things about him. And Armando at breakfast and at the pool was another stand-out. Everyone enjoyed teaching my husband Mayan phrases and we all had a good time. I find that in Mexico most people are basically friendly and if you are friendly back you will be repaid in spades. You can’t say that about every culture – some places you can smile until your face falls off and they couldn’t care less.

The low-down: this place is a great deal with a gorgeous beach – and I don’t want them to change a thing. Do I like being nickel and dimed about towels and cleaning utensils? No – but I also don’t want to pay $400 a night to stay somewhere with a subpar beach or one with killer currents that sweep small children out to sea – and those are your options at the fancy places. I stayed at the Villa del Palmar last year and the rooms were gorgeous and the food was amazing – but the beach was yuk. Life is full of compromises. I’ve heard that pricey ($$$$) Club Med has the best beach and the best facilities – maybe someday I can afford to have it all – but until then, I’m going to Casa Maya.

Room Tip: Rooms in Building One (the room number will start with a one for building one, second number is the...
9  Thank elizaNewJersey
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Was really worried about hotel after reading reviews. All i can say is judge for yourself. We arrived at 12.00 and given free drinks at pool bar our suite wasnt ready. On returning at 1pm it still wasnt ready so we waited for the time share pitch to be pushed on us. It didnt happen !!!! On entering our suite at 2.15 WOW well worth waiting for absolutely fantastic and definately 5 star. Buffet breakfast had everything you could want and highly recommend. Evening buffet cost aboot 9 pound all you can eat and different theme nightly. The staff in all areas of work are polite and happy to help any way they can I would highly recommend the hotel . Fantastic beach , swimming pools, jacuzzis and staff. Rasy check in and out and a big thanks to Marco on reception.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Sylvia P
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This was a nice clean hotel with fun activities. Right on the beach and close to Ferry terminal if you are looking for day excursions. 5 pools, including two childrens pools. Nice long running trail outside if your are looking to get some exercise. Spent the week in our time share and we were very happy with the kitchen and dinning area. Spacious . We played beach volleyball every afternoon and enjoyed the slow pace.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a view but we stayed in both a regular and a kitchen unit room and I would highly re...
1  Thank T b
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The casa maya is a family friendly hotel with a very nice beach and pool area. The rooms are extremely run down and are musky and moldy. However if you purchase an "elite" timeshare you will be put into the new building, which has been updated. The management is big on pushing timeshares, however they are totally dishonest in their sales pitch. They tell you the presentation will take 90 minutes including breakfast, and you will receive $50.00 hotel credit at the end of the presentation.. Then 2 hours into the sales pitch Enrique and Salvador tell you that it takes 2 hours "not including breakfast", Long story short.. 2.5 hours later we told them we were not interested, and they refused to give us the $50.00 credit. The hotel staff work very hard and the service around the hotel was very good. Food at the hotel is on par with any hospital cafeteria, I recommend eating out as there are a number of outstanding places to eat in the city. Busses are not family friendly, so if you are travelling with small children you should rent a car for peace of mind.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Elite side of the hotel, if not, then try to get on the 8th floor as that gets...
5  Thank hmidge
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The hotel is in a perfect location and has a great beach, but there are several issues that, when combined, left me feeling extremely dissatisfied.

Firstly, we had booked a room with a king bed, but on entering the room we had two queen beds. On querying this with reception, we were informed that they do not have any king beds in their hotel and that Expedia was wrong in offering this. Should we have any issues with this, we should contact Expedia. Correct me if I am wrong, but is it not the hotel's responsibility to ensure that Expedia has the correct information??? To their credit, they did move our 2 queen beds together and it provided a workable solution.

Secondly, the carpets in the room were very horribly dirty. My son was crawling all over, and after being on the carpet for a minute or two, his hands, knees and feet were coloured grey from the dust. We have already stayed in several hotels with him, and I this is the first time that has ever happened. Perhaps they should invest in several proper vacuum cleaners.

Thirdly, our included kitchenette, was not really up to standard. While everything was working, the dishwasher was so badly rusted inside that we never used it. The heating elements of the stove actually had rust flaking off them and I did not dare open the oven. The kitchen cupboards looked like they had been through a hurricane.

Fourthly, with our stay we were offered breakfast vouchers (as a perk of booking through Expedia) and we purchased several vouchers for lunch and dinner as well. Since we were part of a group of six (all of which are family), of which all the guests were staying in the same hotel (albeit in different rooms), we decided to save some of our vouchers and all have breakfast together on the final day. Once breakfast was completed, we were informed that the vouchers could only be used for people staying in our room and not for any other parties. While the other meal vouchers were transferable, the breakfast vouchers are were not transferable. While I can understand that the hotel policy is that vouchers were not transferable, perhaps they should implement earlier checks, i.e. before we sit down for breakfast. Or perhaps explain the non-transferability of the vouchers when these are actually issued to us.

Fifthly, when trying to sort out the issue with the breakfast vouchers, the hotel refused to budge at all. To be fair to them, we did eat breakfast there, but at the same time, their policy was never explained to us, we were all part of the same party (which was made clear at check-in) and we did not consider this to be a transfer of breakfast vouchers, since these were all paying guests and part of our party.

Lastly, when we were unable to find a solution to the problem, I was politely informed that should I refuse to pay, hotel security would not allow me to leave the premises, the police would be called in, and since it was our last day, I would miss my flight. I am sorry, but since the hotel never explained their policy regarding these policies properly, that amounts to blackmail.

After this trip, I do not know if I will visit Mexico again, but if I do, I will definitely not be staying here again.

4  Thank grau12345