“Too Many Screaming Kids! Thank goodness for the adults only pool!”

Crown Paradise Club Cancun
Ranked #58 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Calgary, Alberta
“Too Many Screaming Kids! Thank goodness for the adults only pool!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

I have worked in hotels for years (Holiday Inn, Best Western, Clarion 5* and Boutique) and feel I can give a fair review. I went with my sister in January 2012 and we shared a standard room. I was interested in upgrading to the Crown Club adults only but I was not interested in paying $50 extra pp/nite for the jacuzzi, bottle of wine and lunch cruise when I would be with my sister so stayed in the standard room. Check in took approx. 45 min and I was first in line. The front desk service was not up to par with the service that you received in the restaurants. While trying to check in, the front desk agent I was dealing with kept stopping to chat with other employees or answer the phone. We asked for a quiet room. We were placed in a room on the 4th floor above the indoor kids pool. This was not quiet!! The screams from the kids started at 8am and continued until 6pm. The ocean view was nice. The beds were very uncomfortable and basic. We both woke up with a sore back every morning.

For restaurants, we tried the buffet, French, Mexican, Seafood and Wayne's Boots steakhouse. The buffet food is typical with quite a few choices. We liked the fresh made to order stations (Mexican, deli/smoothies, omelette). Each morning I had a freshly made omelette and fresh fruit and my sister had a made to order smoothie. These were all delicious. For lunch I had a made to order deli sandwich or grilled fish from the buffet which were both excellent. We tried a variety of items at lunch and dinner...some we liked and some we didn't, which were our personal tastes. There is lots of variety for kids adults and vegetarians so you will find something you like. There is an adults only area, which we always sat in, but is still quite loud with the blenders going and the din of all the people. The only things I had that I would say were terrible were the big clams that were so tough that you couldn't chew or cut with a knife and the 7/11 cheese nachos. The service from the waiters is excellent!!! Make sure to have a Benito's coffee at dinnertime.

The French restaurant was very good. No kids are allowed. We had house wine, French Onion soup and filet mignon. The steak was very good and a good portion. Excellent service from the waiters.
The seafood restaurant we had tuna tar tar and ceviche and the prawn dinner. All were excellent and great service.
The mexican restaurant we had salad, tortilla soup, enchiladas and fajitas. The food was excellent but there were lots of kids screaming so it felt like we were at a Chucky Cheese:(
Wayne's boots steakhouse was ok. We heard lots of people complain that the rib eye and NY striploin steaks were tough. I had the sirloin steak and it was very good. The rest of the meal was average.
To book our restaurant reservations, we always booked one day ahead and did not have a problem getting a table.
We ordered room service to get bottled water and tried the fries (not very good).
We did not hang around the main pool as there were too many little kids and it was loud with the games going on. The beach was nice but the water was very rough for swimming. The beach chairs were all reserved early in the morning. We stayed mostly at the adult pool and could always find a lounge chair. We had excellent service from the bartender and waiter. The music wasn't too loud and it was a nice place to relax in the morning/afternoons and we met lots of nice people there. The ages ranged from 20's to 70's and all in between. They only have Corona beer on tap and no bottle beer available. The blender drinks were good.
We went to Trafalgar's pub a few times in the evening. The service was excellent.

Overall an all right place to stay. If you had small kids you would probably like it more. I'm not sure I would class it 4 1/2 stars. It was very clean. We paid $1200 each including taxes for one week so it was worth what we paid.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the indoor kids pool.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Beckgirl
ljuliot, Marketing Offices at Crown Paradise Club Cancun, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Dear Hotel Guest,

Thank you very much for your honest and well written review of the Crown Paradise Club Cancun. We appreciate your honest evaluation of our hotel, staff and services.

Our management staff is alerted to any and all issues that our guests comment upon here on Tripadvisor. I would like you to know that I have made our front desk manager aware of your comments about the service your received during your check in.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our service staff and the cuisine during your stay. I am also glad to know that you found the adults only pool to be a pleasant place to relax.

Warm Wishes,
Lisa Juliot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,370)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

This 4.5 star resort was a hotel for the whole family. It was clean and the service was good. I was traveling with a group of adults but they had a separate pool play area that looked fantastic for kids. The food was good, with a good variety in the main dining area right beside the pool area, along with several different themed restaurants. I especially enjoyed the Western Restaurant and the Seafood Restaurant. The Western Restaurant looked like a Western Wood Lodge complete with a mechanical bull. The kids were in a long line up to have pictures taken on the bull. Adults could take a ride on the bull.They also had a French restaurant which most of my group liked best, and a Mexican style restaurant complete with Mexican musicians.

My room was clean, however since it was facing north, it had a beautiful view up the coast which was unfortunately marred by an abandoned run down condo type hotel next door which was ruined a number of years ago by a hurricane.

The nightly shows were average. I have experienced better, with some displaying traditional Mexican cultural dances, and a Michael Jackson themed evening show on one night.

As it is a family resort, there were a lot of kids, so it would not be the resort to go to if you want a quiet adults only resort, or more adult focused entertainment. But a good resort if you want activities for the whole family.

The hotel is not walking distance to any shopping areas or clubs, but is only a about a 20 minute bus ride away to the main clubs and shopping area for 85 pesos or approx $1.

My criticism would be that all the rooms have their doors open towards the main lobby area, so it is quite noisy in the rooms till quite late in the evening due to being able to hear all the activities (ie music) in the general lobby area. If you like to go to bed somewhat early, this could be annoying.

My rating would be 3.5-4 Stars.

Room Tip: My suggestion would be a high room, and ask for a view of the pool area. Don't take a north fa...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank BeachHarry
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

Well, where do I begin?

1) As for the resort itself the room I stayed in (#1332) was a little bit old and run down, but I only went up to the room to shower and sleep so who cares. Don't be so picky.

2) The food was good, yes sometime repeating but you are on holidays being catered to and that to me is the best . I travelled with my husband and 2 daughters (14 & 9). That was a week of no cooking for anyone. I enjoyed every bit of it.

3)The employee's always said good morning and did NOT expect a tip. Some were actually shocked when we did give them one. Sometimes you have to look at those workers who would never get a tip and those are the ones who appreciate it the most.

4) The Entertainment staff they did a wonderful job. I read that they were to loud, well you need to get the attention of everyone just so that no says well I didn't hear you. They cover all ages to entertain. They are also at the kids club. This is great for you and your child.

I just got back to only hear what happened to a lady in Mazatlan, Mexico... Don't Be afraid to travel to Mexico, I felt safe with my kids and husband. I was at the Riu Emerald Bay last year where this happened and it is a beautiful resort.

Crown Paradise is the place to go with children... Enjoy the beach, food, people, grounds and sun...

7 Thank crazyforlife
Hawkesbury, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

After many looooong hours of looking for a hotel that would accomodate my large family I came upon this hotel. Boy did I find the perfect spot. We are a family of four young boys and my husband and I. I was looking for an all inclusive that I could take my kids to where they felt like they had their own vacation and weren't necessarily just following mom and dad around everywhere.

This is a large hotel with so many activities for everyone.

Our room was on the first floor and we took a family suite. Mom and dad upstairs in a "loft" with a private bathroom and the kids in bunk beds and a queen downstairs. More than enough room for everyone. Only down side is no balcony. The room was clean and the upkeep was great.

Service at the hotel was great, and everyone extremely friendly.

The restaurants were quite good, and a large buffet that caters to having little ones. We tried the steakhouse and were very impressed. Never did get room service so I don't know.

The entertainment team was great. Love the fact that they have water slides and a mini water park to entertain the kids during the day if you want some alone time. We left our kids there a couple of times during meals, the girls took them as a group to eat and still entertained them. At night if you leave your ki8ds in the kids club around supper, they bring them to eat, then bring them to the nightly show and have a sectioned off part of the theater made for them. They felt quite special.

There is no wifi, and you must purchase minutes from the hotel to use either your own computer or use a couple that they set out....

My one and only complaint about this hotel is being mislead about the timeshare presentation. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted and told that there would be a meeting the followin morning to show us around the hotel. This was our first trip as a family in almost 15 years and we never even assumed that this was going to be a presentation. Not impressed that they don't really give you a chance to say whether or not you want to attend but rather mislead you into thinking you are getting a welcome tour.

But, that being said, I think this had to have been the best trip ever and we left wanting nothing. Don't know what I could have asked for more!

Go! Bring your kids! Enjoy vacationing again!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Holli Q
Saskatoon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

My spouse ,myself, two sons,daughter and husband and two grand children age 5 and 2 just got back from a 7 night stay at the Crown Paradise Club.When we arrived I was surprised to find we did not have to wait to get shuttled to our resort with a large bus full off other vacationers, There was a large van waiting to take us directly to our resort without dropping off other people to their destination,It was quick and non eventful.while we waited to check in we were greeted with cold beverages friendly staff and unfortunately about 12 other parties in line ahead of us.This was just bad timing on our part for if we would have gotten there a half hour earlier we would have had no line up.The rooms were clean,quiet,maid service was excellent ( we tipped the maids 20 pesos a day). Our air conditioner blew cold air continually.We never ran out of hot water.The ocean view from our balcony was great.(we were on the fifth floor).We had a lagoon view from the entrance.The buffet was typical resort buffet food.They had six specialty restaurants,my favorites were the sea food and steak house.The staff were terrific and did not hound you for a tip.Myself and sons being avid golfers we were ecstatic to find out that they changed the golf course that we were to play at.You now get an upgrade to the course you view from your lagoon view.You can walk there and the food and beverages are included with your round of golf at no charge.The only thing you pay for is your golf cart($47.00) which is mandatory.Lots of birds,Lizards and big crocodiles on the course.If you like to eat,drink,golf and relax this is a great resort. The young kids never ran out of things to do and were in sleeping in bed early with smiles on their faces.The young adults...19-21-25-28 enjoyed the night life and never complained of being bored. The only regret I have is that I could have booked 10 nights instead of 7 for a few hundred dollars more.If you want bang for your buck this resort for you.

11 Thank Ron K
Dear Hotel Guest,

On behalf of the Crown Paradise Cancun I thank you very kindly for your glowing review of our hotel property. We appreciate all of the reviews that we receive here and we would especially like to thank everyone that takes the time to write up a review of their experience with our hotel.

It pleases me to no end to hear that you and your family had a wonderful vacation with us. This is the experience we aim to give all of our guests!

It was our pleasure to help you make lasting vacation memories. We thank you for sharing your precious family time with us and we look forward to your return in the future.

Warmest Wishes,
Prior Lake
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

Crown Paradise Club Cancun did not meet our expectations. We chose it because it was supposed to be super family friendly (pirate ship park, Kids Club for youngs kids, etc) but despite these amenities, we were grossly disappointed. Upon arrival, they were overbooked and put us in a Jr. Suite instead of the 2 rooms we had reserved which left our in-laws (nearly 70 years old) on a couch and cot for one of our 4 nights. We were only compensated with an airport shuttle and a few massages after I asked (not offered). The service was terrible at the front desk (extremely slow and somewhat of a language barrier--we are English speaking). The only place it was halfway decent was in the restaurants that required reservations (which, by the way, we could not get into our first night there). The rooms were somewhat run down/dated and the furniture was falling apart (drawers did not work in the dresser). And when I called room service to request blankets and water, twice I got less than I asked for (2 blankets vs. 4 and 4 water bottles vs. 6). The service at the buffet restaurant was also bad. Could not even get so much as a napkin unless I persisted and only then by the end of the meal. The evening entertainment was good on occasion but one of the shows (the Laser Light Show) had 2 young children scavaging for bras in the audience. Completely inappropriate. The only good thing about this resort was the beach but frankly, you could get that at any other resort along the 'strip' in Cancun which is why we will not be returning to this resort again.

Room Tip: the higher oceanview/pool front rooms in the main building have a good view but frankly, all rooms a...
3 Thank Heather P
Dear Hotel Guest,

I would like to apologize on behalf of the Crown Paradise Club. It is clear that we did not meet your expectations. It is not customary that we have problems with overbooking, but occasionally accidents happen. I am sorry that you were not able to stay in the rooms you originally booked the first night of your stay. We were happy to offer you Spa service and airport shuttle to make up for any monetary loss you felt that you may have incurred.

Our front desk staff are all bilingual; however, English is not their first language. The language barrier and cultural differences can sometimes be frustrating. We expect our reception staff to be patient and to take the necessary time with each guest to ensure there are no misunderstandings.

It is very unfortunate that you did not have the Crown Paradise experience that we would have wanted for you. You did not have the opportunity to see us shine and see why so many people love our hotel and continue to return again and again. If you would be inclined to try us again in the future I would like you to contact me directly so I may make special arrangements for you and your family, so you can have the paradise experience that we are so proud of.

Thank you for taking the time to review our service and property here on Tripadvisor. Your comments are taken very seriously and are reviewed by our management staff.

ljuliot@crownparadise.com
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

My wife and I along with our 3 Children (6,5,2) where at the CPC from Jan 8 - 15 2012. We arrived late Sunday Night / Monday Morning so check in was fairly quick (20 minutes). being so tired we ordered room serve and called it a night.

ROOM
We stayed in room 1106 which had the view of the old resort next door and the water slides. (other reviews have mentioned the poor view from these rooms but we didn't mind) The beds are REALLY HARD but the room in general was ok

ROOM TIPS:
1. if you travel with electronics bring a small power bar as there are only two outlets.
2. Use your room safe we heard story's of missing ipods.
3. Be very careful when opening main room door when your patio door is also open it turns the room into a wind-tunnel and causes the doors to slam shut.

FOOD
The food was very average and grew tired by weeks end. Try the snack shack by the main pool it offers a bit of a change.
The Italian Restaurant was our Favorite (try the tenderloin) and the Sea Food place was a mess. (if you have young children check there food and be sure its cooked)
In the main Buffet (La Palapa) sit behind the drink station. If you have kids the guys working back there are great.

RESTAURANT TIPS:
1. Email the hotel before you go and make your first two nights diner reservations, if you don't get a response try again its worth it.
2. If you do get stuck without a reservation, try anyway. We got into the Mexican restaurant without one

BARS
The bars have been covered very well in other reviews. The drinks do seem weak.

BAR TIPS:
1. Maybe the best tip a can give you is this: BRING YOUR OWN CUPS. The bigger the better. The cups at the bars are small. A hard plastic cup works great (a lot of people had the clear plastic Starbucks cups which seemed perfect)
2. Check your glasses before you have a drink. We had three drinks from the College bar that came with lipstick included.

Our SunWing rep had a meeting the day after we arrived. "Victor" was not helpful at all. He had more interest in selling us trips then providing us information. The information he did give us was wrong.
The Guest Reps in the lobby do offer some useful information but their job is to sell you Club Memberships (timeshares) Be upfront with these guys if your not interested. Oscar was a good guy and didn't pester us (didn't ignore us either) after we said no.

The shows where also good for my daughters. The entertainment team works really hard all day long. BEWARE of the Micheal Jackson Show, if you have young ones (that's not what I mean) They show the whole Thriller Video Which emptied half the room.

GENERAL TIPS:
1. Respect the water! We saw a few people pulled out the the water. The rip tide will pull you out quick. Stay in front of the Yellow flags and you will be fine. If your older please be careful of the waves, they are strong and knees/hips will pay the price.

2. Bus 2 or 15 will get you to Walmart, Market 28, Kukulkan Plaza, and Plaza La Isla. it cost about a buck. If your caring kids do not pay for them. FIND A SEAT FAST AND SIT DOWN.

3. Nothing is for free (need I say more)

4. BE CAREFUL in the elevators. The doors might buzz but they are still closing! My wife cut her foot and she wasn't the only one.

5. STAY AWAY FROM THE MONKEY on the beach. He bit several people during our week.

6. Most areas in this hotel are tile and the tile is very slippery when wet BE CAREFUL.

We had a great week at CPC and really enjoyed Cancun.The tips above are not intended to scare anyone away from CPC but to help make your stay a great one.

3 Thank Dennis B