“Hyatt Regency Cancun”

Ranked #55 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Bowie, Maryland
“Hyatt Regency Cancun”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

The hotel was right on the beach which was very convenient and the hotel staff was great. We had an ocean view room and the morning sunrises and view from the room were spectacular. It was apparent that this is an older hotel and not as "posh" as some other Hyatt Regencys I have stayed at. I could see small cracks in the walls on the outside and the caulk along the bottom of the glass panels on the balcony, where it met the frame, needed to be replaced. It looked like someone had started digging it out and stopped before they finished.
The lock on the balcony door didn't work, but it was repaired the same day I advised the front desk about it. Also, the sliding portion of the balcony door actually squeaked (not rattled) when the wind blew which was annoying when first trying to go to sleep.
This was the first hotel I had stayed in that didn't have carpeted floors, either in the rooms or in the hallways. As a result, anytime someone scooted a chair across the floor above my room or next door, it sounded really loud. Also, the same for employees going down the hallway with carts. After a few days, the bare floor felt gritty when walking on it barefooted. However, with this hotel being right on the beach, I can understand why they would have bare floors vs. carpet with the number of people tracking sand into the hotel.
The first morning, my wife and I ate breakfast at a restaurant in the hotel called the "O." We opted for the breakfast buffet because we had limited time to eat between the time the restaurant opened and we were due to be picked up for an excursion. All of the food we chose was cold; the scrambled eggs, the bacon, and the sausage. The only thing that was hot was the toast we made ourselves. We were there when the restaurant opened, so it wasn't like the food had set out for an hour or so before we ate. However, the second morning, the food was hot.
Another restaurant at the hotel, "The Grill," which was open later in the day for lunch and dinner, had very good food and probably the best french fries I have ever eaten.
Other than the cold food the first morning and a few minor maintenance issues, we had no other complaints about the hotel. The hotel staff was very knowledgeable and friendly, and it seemed like the hotel was very efficiently operated.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
HyattRegencyCancun, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Krystal Grand Punta Cancun, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Greetings from Cancun!

Thank you for your loyalty and for taking the time to bring your comments to our attention. Your feedback is highly appreciated; we will review your comments on detail with my colleagues to identify our opportunities.

I hope we will serve you again at any Hyatt around the world.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights in an ocean view club room on the 12th floor. The lobby, pool, spa, restaurant are all very nice, modern and spacious. The room felt a little dated and could use a make over to bring it up to the same level as the lobby.

Our bathroom flooded whenever we took a shower and the A/C didn't work (maintenance had to be called and they fixed the A/C but not the drain in the shower).

My one complaint is the wi-fi. The hotel charges 175 pesos/day for "premium access" and it constantly disconnects. They charge for internet and then is sucks. My macbook was booted off constantly. Its impossible to watch a video (even though I paid for premium access). They never have enough back-end bandwidth to handle the number of guests and all their devices. This is one of my issues with big hotels.

The staff were attentive and helpful.

Cancun is not really my cup of tea. Its like Las Vegas by the Sea. There's a Hooters, Bubba Gumps, Outback Steakhouse and all the rest of that over prices American nonsense all along the strip. Its been ruined. That said, the hotel was in a great location right on the beach and provide a relaxing environment.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ncalad
Greetings from Cancun!

I would like to thank you for contacting us regarding your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Cancun I greatly appreciate that you have taken the time to provide your feedback. As we continue to improve our service, comments like yours provide us with a valuable feedback in identifying areas that concern our guest. Thank you for your loyalty and for taking the time to bring your comments to our attention.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Even though the Hyatt Regency Cancun isn't an all inclusive resort, it's a nice resort with a special 50% off pay in advance deal. The hotel itself is very nice with a friendly staff. We went with a large group and booked a few rooms. Oceanview is a must! It's absolutely amazing and you can see the sea turtles on the beach in the morning. Our room was really clean and so were the facilities. The pool could use a bit of an upgrade but it was good enough. We enjoyed the friendly staff and activities at the pool and beach volleyball areas. Location is good, it's close to the clubs/bars to walk to but not so close that it's extremely loud. The only complaint we would have is the air conditioning went out once and the electricity went out in our friends room during the beginning of the trip. I think they were having electrical problems. They also don't accept Hyatt Gold Club. The water didn't smell the nicest either. All in all if you are looking for a non all inclusive resort, this place does the trick and more.

Room Tip: booking a package via Expedia was cheaper than directly booking through the hotel. Get the 50% off d...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Greetings from Cancun!

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding our hotel, location and this beautiful place in the Mexican Caribbean side or our country.

Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

At the last moment my husband asked to switch to this hotel, because Hyatt had a brand and so that would be better.

The hotel is amazing, as its rooms but when I got here NO FREE WIFI.

We had to pay 11 USD for 24 h conection because of his work. In my country I pay 14 USD a month for high speed internet and this price is for the slow one.

Now it is 5am and I am in the lobby because the paid wifi was not working in the room, not even to send a message throigh facebook for my father. Today it is his birthday, he is far away and thats the only time I find him before he goes to work.

By the time I considered cone to the lobby, he was gone to work.

It is unconceivable charging wifi to clients theses days!!!

I have been to alll kinds of lodgements: from simple hostels in Peru that cost me less than 10 USD to nicest hotels as Sofitel and I NEVER had to pay for internet, I had it for free.

My husband truly regrets his decision and now Hyatt is forever out of our plans and from his business trips.

About the fast connection, our floor neighbours complained also of the signal.

Ah, and no points if you book in other site and pay.

Definetly not worth for affiliation also. Unless you do not need wifi and are willing to pay here.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank essameninaviaja
Greetings from Cancun!

It was truly disheartening to hear of your dissatisfaction in your recent stay. As we continue to improve our services, comments like yours provide us with a valuable feedback in identifying areas that concern our guest.

I hope we will serve you again at any Hyatt around the world.

Plano, Texas
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed at Hyatt Cancun in Sep 2013. This hotel does not compare to any other Hyatt Resorts I have been in terms for ambience but its location on the beach and service makes it up. Very close to restaurants and nearby bus stop makes it easy to go into town if you are interested. Their double your credit offer was good and we enjoyed eating mostly dinner right on the beach. Food quality was good although choices were limited.

We used Hyatt suite upgrade certificate so were upgraded to Regency suite which included lounge access, breakfast and evening snacks which we throughly enjoyed. We always like to stay on the beach and not very big overwhelming resorts and this was perfect choice for us.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 October 2013

let's begin by saying the language barrier is a big problem.2nd day,housekeeping left no coffee,2 phone calls and 2 knocks on the door later someone shows up with a coffee maker not coffee.eventually they got it right,but that day when the maid cleaned she didn't wash it but she left coffee. It rained while we were out one night,upon returning the balcony side of the room was flooded.After struggling to explain the doors were closed and I don't know how the water got in they said they would send someone.(it was 3 a.m by now) the person that came had a floor squegee,not a mop. he had to squegee the water across the room out into the hall to get rid of it.The final straw, the maid took my daughters gold watch.We used a cell phone to take pictures at 1 p.m at the hotel clearly wearing the watch. Showered went out to eat,left the watch by mistake near the dreaded coffee pot. They cleaned while we were out,upon discovering the watch was gone we went to the desk,contacted security.(very poor english) he had me fill out a statement,name,add.etc watch value & description.said the maid had gone and he would talk to her the next day & let me know.I contacted them,re-filled out the form,the head of security asked if they could come now and search the room.After opening the safe,going through our empty luggage(except our dirty clothes)our purses,under the beds everywhere,they decided we were not hiding the watch.they took my email add,phone #.said they would let me know the results of the investigation(as we were leaving the next morn).this was in April and I have yet to hear from anyone.I am a police officer and no crimes would be solved if this is the manner in which the investigations are conducted.the watch was a graduation gift and I realize it was left out by mistake but I am very dissapointed in the way the Hyatt handled(didnt handle) this situation.I had stayed at this property before,but never again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank LaRonda2013
HyattRegencyCancun, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Krystal Grand Punta Cancun, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Greetings from Cancun!

Thank you for share your comments about your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Cancun. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay, your feedback is very appreciated to improve our service every day.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The location was great, walking distance to the famous coco bongo club and there is a convenient store in front of the hotel. Rooms are very clean and beds are comfortable; i had two rooms, ocean view room is amazing, garden view is nice too. The only problem with the rooms is that you can hear when the other people close their doors, it makes a lot of noise. Lobby is a quiet area. Guadalupe, the bellman/concierge, was great! he was very helpful and you can tell he likes his job :) the hotel should have more employees like him. I'll stay here again, my family loved it

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Miriam G
HyattRegencyCancun, Guest Relations Manager at Krystal Grand Punta Cancun, responded to this review, 3 December 2013