“Pleasant week”

Ranked #56 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Danbury, Connecticut
“Pleasant week”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We usually stay at Dreams in Puerto Aventuras but this year, because of the harsh winter in Conn., we just wanted to get to the beach ASAP. My wife researched the Cancun strip and we decided on the Hyatt. Although it's at the crux of the 7, we got there in 20 minutes and were soon on the beach drinking Sol. Here are the Pros and Cons:
Pros:
-- Check-in was easy and the manager explained the 2 for 1 deal. My wife had already vetted the deal, which we accepted and recommend.
-- We booked an ocean-front room and that's what we got. Very pleased. We had a beautiful view of the open ocean.
-- Beach is great. They had to rebuild parts of it because of hurricane damage. The hotel's back door leads directly to a sandy and wide beach.
-- Pools are at a refreshing temp and are kept clean.
-- Beautiful area in the hotel's rear where about 6 Bali beds are lined up with glorious views of the beach and ocean. Competition is stiff for these.
-- Pool bar of course serves the swimming pool and the Bali bed area; the Beach Grill serves the beach area.
-- Nice, helpful staff. Had to call guest services a couple of times and matters were resolved quickly.
-- Had some good meals right there at the Grill, and when on the run, at the Deli, which also has gelato.

Cons
-- Love the sound of the ocean, but like others have stated, it's a shame that sound has to compete with the awful drone of monstrous AC units from neighboring hotels, and brain numbing disco thump from one of the nearby clubs.
-- I guess when the city or whoever repaired the beach, it was decided to make a breaker and one was indeed made -- with huge concrete blocks tumbled atop each other. Ugly, no two ways about it.
-- The beaches there are public, which is cool because you can interact with locals if you wish. But between the locals and the tourists, we sure can be careless with our litter on the beach and in the water. No work crews picking up the trash.
-- Have to pay for wifi. I just don't get that.

Overall a fun time at a nice place. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on one of the higher floors and with a balcony facing the beach; that way y...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TTR59

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed for few days during Spring break 2014 at Hyatt Regency Cancun.

Pro:
1. Wonderful staff specially the Regency club staff. On the day of checkin, I was late and I immediately went to the 14th floor Lounge close to seven (closing time) but they still offered all the food to my family while they checked me in. I asked for a ocean view room away from the Fiesta Americana AC noise (read the other reviews) and she gave a very nice room (no noise) with the perfect view of the ocean and the beach. The room was small but nicely appointed. The Bathroom ceiling was little old looking though. They really should have "exhaust" fans at these Bathrooms to take away all the moisture!
2. The lounge is small but very nice. The food was excellent with smoked salmon both at the breakfast and for the evening light snacks. The wait staff was very nice and they kept bringing different juice when my kids wanted. the espresso machine was very nice as well.
3. The beach cove was very serene and nice. Me and my kids payed lot of games with the Hotel beach staff. The water is probably most calm at this Hotel. My kids enjoyed it very much.
4.The front door person was very helpful with the baggage (holding it for us) and also call our excursion trip driver when he was late.
5. Location wise, it was one of the best location on the Hotel zone area because it is somewhat isolated from the noise but close enough to walk to the zone and shop/eat.

Cons:
1. The swimming pool water kind of cold. They really should have an option of heated pool when the sun is not that warm.
2. Have exhaust fans in the Bathrooms and update the Bathroom ceilings.
3. Little expensive but I got value since I used Hyatt points and upgraded to the Regency club.
4. The rollway bed was not that comfortable but the other beds were fine.

I gave 4 stars but it should really be 4.5 stars (no option for it). I typically don't give 5 stars (don't want grade inflation since nothing is perfect!) and so 4.5 stars is pretty high mark.

Room Tip: If you are there when the Hotel zone is not dancing all night, the noise shouldn't be an issue e...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Perfect location, easy access to the beach, downtown of zona hotelera and just 10 minutes on local bus for locals stores and restaurants. Friendly staff, clean room and very economical. The only things I didn’t like was no free wifi and if you loose the beach towel/key is a $25 dls fee. Still I highly recommend this location I will stay for 7 days and will stay here when I come back to beautiful Cancun. FYI Xeh-Ha packages if you buy there is about $20 dls less than if you get it pre-pain on the internet. Isla Mujeres also worth the money all-inclusive package and I bought it down there from a local agency. They negotiate the prices so be sure not to take the first price they offer. You will not regret this trip at all hope you have a great time like we did.

Room Tip: Take a water proof digital camera you will need it.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank josemezav
San Diego
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We booked an oceanfront room and ended up getting one that faced the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral BeachResort across the street. Luckily since we were on a high floor, we could see Isla Mujeres from our room and the aqua colored water at the Fiesta Americana. So the view was not bad. And since we paid about half what the other hotels were charging I didnt mind the limited view. This hotel is not a party hotel. In fact most of the time I felt as though we had the entire place to ourselves. There is limited beach access and a mostly rocky beach. This added to the peace and quiet since we didnt have people using the beach in front of our hotel. Most days we lounged in the outdoor cabanas that have a full size bed while the waiters carted margaritas and guacamole out to us. The hotel is wired with an exterior sound system and they tastefully played smooth jazz most of the time. I work in a very fast paced nerve racking job so this was just what the doctor ordered for me. The hotel staff was also very pleasant and helpful. The hotel is also located near some decent shopping and we also went across the street to use the wave runners. the food is not bad at this hotel but I really recommend that you walk down the street a little to experience more authentic mexican food. The hotel food is also very pricey. All in all this hotel is a great value for its location and price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gene2459
Reviewed 15 April 2014

What can I say, the staff was great from check in to check out. The food was fantastic. The hotel overall was well kept with the exception of some wear which is to be expected. I had an ocean front room and enjoyed my entire stay. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt for 4 nights in March. We chose this hotel knowing the beach was one of the best in Cancun and thinking of Hyatt standards it would be a great match. Unfortunately as others have stated this hotel is not your typical Hyatt standards. We did book a club regency room to ensure better service, larger room size, and the club enhancements. Thankfully I did a lot of reviewing prior to arrival as when I checked in we were given a room on the 11th floor. I inquired about the rooms from the entry level floors and the club floors and was informed all rooms are the same. Not exactly so, especially from the website advertising. The room on the 11th floor was a basic room not the larger square footage as advertised. Also I recalled from the reviews and from booking it was noted the top 2 floors were club rooms. After being lied to and going to my room I went back to check in and asked to view a room on the 14th floor and low and behold the room was larger and didn't smell moldy. I showed my reservation form and explained that my expectation was to be given a club ocean view room, which was finally given to me.

As I am a very light sleeper I didn't experience other reviewers comments about the noise and AC units. All older hotel walls in Cancun are pretty thin so I was prepared for some extra noise. The beds are doubles not queens so get cosy and not the most comfortable. The elevators are hot and slow. The water in the hotel is not purified and you will note this when you turn on the sink tap and the shower just by the smell. The hotel provides a couple water bottle and if you are in the club you have free water bottles so use this for drinking and brushing your teeth. WiFi is not included which is odd as free WiFi has become the standard in many North American hotels. Mexico is different and I have found that many hotels charge for WiFi so plan to pay.

The double down credit promo is a great deal. Drink prices are quite expensive and the food prices are upper end, please note the promo doesn't cover your taxes or gratuities so plan accordingly. Kids menu is good and better priced and if you feel like walking down a couple hotels to the Hard Rock on the beach they have a beach bar with drink prices about $3 -$4 dollars cheaper. Morning and evening appies are great and to include alcoholic drinks in the evening is well worth the upgrade.

Learning from reviews that the Hyatt has sold to another hotel will hopefully make a few improvements to the hotel as it is on an exceptional part of the beach in Cancun.

Room Tip: Best beach.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 10 April 2014

If you plan the trip carefully, you won't experience most of the negative issues reviewed for this hotel, and I'm glad I read them carefully in detail beforehand! Here's how:

- To avoid outside noise, pay a little extra and get a Regency Club Room ocean-front. We never heard an AC generator or club music! You also get access to the Club lounge with private check-in, free bottled water, free breakfast, and free happy hour/snacks with good drinks!

- Purchase the food credits when you check-in. You can always buy more later if needed. I bought $100 for $200 worth of food. This is a great deal when the drinks cost $14 retail, but you're actually only paying $7 with the credits deal, and they are AMAZING drinks (especially the mango daiquiris and mudslides!). Tips are not included with the credits, so budget for that additionally.

Why We Loved It:

- Safe walking distance to all of the major bars and clubs in Cancun (3 single girls on our trip), so no expensive cab rides by strangers.

- As others mentioned, BEST beach in Cancun. It's clearly the largest and least crowded beach in Cancun. You can tell a major difference when looking at the other properties down the beach!

- Bali beds: They get taken early, but so comfy to relax on, especially if you get burned one day and want to lay out with a full beach view in the shade. The hotel next door had beds too, but they were plastic material and gross. The Hyatt's beds were cloth material and plush with pillows!

- Plentiful lay out chairs with tiki hut shade!

- Staff was SUPER friendly and accommodating.

Cons:

- The walls are thin, so it was hard to sleep in, but I travel a lot in the states and have yet to find a hotel with solid walls!

- The elevators were always HOT!

- No free wifi, but you can get it at restaurants down the street.

- Beds were too firm for our group, not the most comfortable.

Would We Stay Again?

YES! However, I'm sad the hotel ownership is changing to Krystal because that's the name of the hotel next door that isn't near as nice as the Hyatt, so I hope the quality stays the same or better. :( We will have to read reviews before our next trip to see if it's still the same or not!

Room Tip: Get a Regency Club oceanfront room for peace & quiet and free water, breakfast, and happy hour...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends