“Excellent location, wonderful service”

Krystal Grand Punta Cancun
Ranked #53 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I stayed at this Hyatt for a week in November and really enjoyed my stay. This was my first time staying at a resort town in Mexico. I'm more used to going to Hawaii but Mexico is definitely more affordable and has its own charm. I also found Cancun to be very safe. The staff was very helpful and friendly, from the concierge, the reception desk, and the travel agent downstairs to help you book tours. They all spoke excellent English. The rooms were fine IMHO although I was used to carpeting and surprised that the floors are all slate -- perhaps easier to clean. The room that I had booked had a view of the hotel across the street and I found the noise from the generators to be incredibly loud. Asked to be switched to an ocean view room which was much nicer for only $30/extra a night.

The beach is never very crowded and you feel like you have a lot of space to yourself. I did not use the pool or the swim-up bar, nor the Bali beds although they looked very comfortable. The buffet breakfast was very good with a lot of options, and we also went to the Grill for dinner several nights. That is about it for the hotel dining options. Although this is a very nice hotel, it is not an all-inclusive type resort where you can stay all day and never leave the place. There is only one restaurant open at any given time unless you count the deli/coffee shop as another one. I got the deal where you pre-buy hotel dollars and get two for one. It really helps to stretch your meal dollars.

The location of the Hyatt at the end of the Hotel Zone can't be beat. It is walking distance to local restaurants, souvenir stores, 7-11 type stores, and you can catch the bus lines near by. The R1 and R2 buses that run up and down the Hotel Zone must come by every 5 minutes. You hardly wait to catch a bus and it is a lot cheaper than going by cab. You can take the bus to go shopping at the Mercado downtown, the modern shopping mall, or the archaeological museum. Sights like Tulum and Chichen Itza are accessible by bus tours, each is an all day trip. We also enjoyed the restaurant Hacienda Mortero which is virtually next door to the Hyatt.

Tip: Don't use the ATM downstairs to get dollars. The bank across the street near the Fiesta Americana.has a lower service charge.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Elizabeth C

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed 2 nights here and while the beach was fine, the hotel was old and smelled like mold. The room was supposed to be almost 1000 sq ft and it was just over 600. The breakfast was a joke as was the happy hour. Terrible food and service. The towel cards were just over the top bad. Find a better way to keep track of towels, please.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sue A
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Under $200 a night for a club room. Good deal
So we got a club room with an ocean view. The club room had a Continental breakfast and happy hour with snacks. The food was well prepared with a decent selection of fresh meats and fruit with little pastries. Most options were well done and tasty. The staff here would rival almost any hotel I've gone too including much nicer ones like the Excellence Playa Mujeres. I even asked names to include in the review which I never do. Club room staff Adriana, Miguel, and I think Samantha (may have that one wrong.) They were always accommodating helping with any questions and service and smile seemed genuine. My wife ask a lot of questions and they would always take time to answer where things are, how some of the food was prepared, extra pillows.

The room got noisy at night from a nearby beach club but we didn't request a new one since we were usually exhausted when we went to sleep and slept right through it.
The beach was a little shelly not the softest sand, but once in the water you could walk way out there without it getting too deep. This was awesome. The pool was ok swim up bar, but no Jacuzzi. Not the most exciting pool, but the beach here made up for it. The food from the Grill was good. Don't get the burger. Do get Ceviche, Nachos, Potato Wedges, and pizza.
Service by the pool can be a bit slow, but they are all so nice. My wife got a chicken and rice soup thought it was a bit salty. They made one special for her.
The event staff was great. Volleyball, Yoga, water aerobic

Room Tip: I had an ocean view club room, but get one higher than ending between 10-18 to lower the noise level...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank YoungFunIntellect
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt. The beach is incredible, the staff are friendly, and the location is outstanding. Right near the nightlife which let me say I was never disappointed not once when I went out.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hilda M
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Scheduled to be taken over by the Krystal chain at the end of April, 2014, the Hyatt Regency has clearly seen better days. I suspect that the current ownership opted to save their money in advance of the transfer, and has left a lot of the bulding maintenance to the new owners. Their were big cracks next to the balconies in all three rooms in which we stayed, the beach was covered with all manner of detritus (cigarette butts, plastic bottles, old flip-flops) and the air conditioning controls only worked in one of our rooms. Our first room was at the front of the hotel, and we could barely hear ourselves think over the noise coming from the HUGE air-conditioning complex at the Fiesta Americana across the street. We complained, and were graciously moved to an ocean-view room and given complementary internet access for the remainder of our stay. The rooms themselves were small and unremarkable, except for their plainness. Like just about everything in Cancun, prices were quite high. (The breakfast buffet was very good, but at almost $30 per person, waaaaay overpriced.) I've stayed at Krystals before, so I wouldn't expect to see major changes once the Hyatt turns over operations to Krystal.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the front of the hotel at all cost.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wheresthebeef_9
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Many of the reviewers note that the furnishings of the hotel were not up to Hyatt standards. I agree and I guess so does Hyatt. If will no longer carry the Hyatt brand after 30 April 2014. So if your booked and expecting your Hyatt status to earn you an upgrade, be forewarned.

But overall, we thought the hotel was a god value for the money. We booked and prepaid a non-cancelable room rate of $140 a night. For that rate, it was a clean comfortable room, regardless of the furnishings.

This hotel has so much potential, it's a shame that they allow little things to detract. The beach is outstanding, especially for small children. They had a man-made break that creates a lagoon within the lagoon which has absolutely no waves and no undertow. Apart from a few shells at waters edge, the sand is powder fine and perfect. They have a few cabanas up top that are first come first served. Most places would charge $50 a day for them and get it. We were here over the Easter break and the hotel was 100% occupied but even then , there were beach chairs with shade available until early afternoon. Chairs in the sun were available all day.

On the downside, the hotel just doesn't seem to have either enough staff or the right staff. The pool bathrooms aren't cleaned until about 9:00 am so if your an early riser, prepare yourself. They don't seem to clean the beach at all. Perhaps it's because it's a public beach, but it doesn't seem to keep other finer hotel around the world from doing so. There were ketchup packets and cigarette butts under out chairs and elsewhere in the sand. Not sure what the labor situation is in Cancun but this really surprised me.

Based on the other reviews , I expected a lot of noise. We spent Friday night on the city side of the second floor and didn't have any problems. We got upgraded of the second night to a beach side on the 8th floor and didn't hear a peep.

If you get here very soon, take advantage of the double credit offered by Hyatt on food and beverage. If you prepay $100 or more, you get double that in room credits for food and beverage. We partake in lots of food and drink at the pool for 8 hours a day and found this to be a great benefit. While bottled water seems outrageously priced, other items seemed normal and with a50% discount, our $60 bar bill became $30.

We'll need to consider if the brand change will effect the hotel but if nothing had changed, we'd stay here again as we consider it good value for money.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank B Keith B
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We usually stay at Dreams in Puerto Aventuras but this year, because of the harsh winter in Conn., we just wanted to get to the beach ASAP. My wife researched the Cancun strip and we decided on the Hyatt. Although it's at the crux of the 7, we got there in 20 minutes and were soon on the beach drinking Sol. Here are the Pros and Cons:
Pros:
-- Check-in was easy and the manager explained the 2 for 1 deal. My wife had already vetted the deal, which we accepted and recommend.
-- We booked an ocean-front room and that's what we got. Very pleased. We had a beautiful view of the open ocean.
-- Beach is great. They had to rebuild parts of it because of hurricane damage. The hotel's back door leads directly to a sandy and wide beach.
-- Pools are at a refreshing temp and are kept clean.
-- Beautiful area in the hotel's rear where about 6 Bali beds are lined up with glorious views of the beach and ocean. Competition is stiff for these.
-- Pool bar of course serves the swimming pool and the Bali bed area; the Beach Grill serves the beach area.
-- Nice, helpful staff. Had to call guest services a couple of times and matters were resolved quickly.
-- Had some good meals right there at the Grill, and when on the run, at the Deli, which also has gelato.

Cons
-- Love the sound of the ocean, but like others have stated, it's a shame that sound has to compete with the awful drone of monstrous AC units from neighboring hotels, and brain numbing disco thump from one of the nearby clubs.
-- I guess when the city or whoever repaired the beach, it was decided to make a breaker and one was indeed made -- with huge concrete blocks tumbled atop each other. Ugly, no two ways about it.
-- The beaches there are public, which is cool because you can interact with locals if you wish. But between the locals and the tourists, we sure can be careless with our litter on the beach and in the water. No work crews picking up the trash.
-- Have to pay for wifi. I just don't get that.

Overall a fun time at a nice place. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on one of the higher floors and with a balcony facing the beach; that way y...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family