“Pretty good...just minor notes”

Krystal Grand Punta Cancun
Ranked #56 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Pretty good...just minor notes”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Ok, well, I'm writing this while I'm still here and I just got here yesterday. I can't write about the stuff I don't know about, but I can write on the stuff that I do. So here is my pro/con mixed up:

Check-in: awesome. Was checked in right away and didn't have to wait for a room either, even though it was 2pm and not check-in time!
Room: nice, updated, clean, shower head trickles and the water doesn't get hot...just warm. I would complain. Ur I'm sure they can't do anything about it and I'm not looking for a free upgrade just because. Great ocean view! Room 517 to be exact!
Beach: very NICE!! Many lounge chairs and palapas available and the beach is gorgeous! Prime location and the water is luke warm and clear. No trash and it is quiet. Unlike many other resorts here, it is not overcrowded at all.
Pool: quiet, clean, peaceful, relaxing, enjoyable...too many words to describe. No towel games here as the pool almost gives the illusion as though you're the only one on the hotel grounds.
Food: here's where I have a problem. Fish tacos pool side is great! The ceviche is okay, as I've had better. And the dinner at The Grill is just so-so. The drinks are very well made and plenty of alcohol in them! Breakfast was expensive...since it's not the Hyatt anymore, then I don't think it should have Hyatt prices. I paid $30 for the buffet and it had a good selection, but it appears that more money was spent on the pastries than anything else as there was an abundance of them. Not really worth it to me. Maybe I'll try the menu tomorrow.
Staff: very friendly and accommodating, but they fail to tell u about a deal where you can pay $100 for $200 credit towards food/beverages. I found this out when I was asking about wifi (I'll get to that next). I saw a couple checking out of the hotel and the staff was cutting their wristbands off. I asked what the deal was with that as this hotel is not all inclusive. They told me that they purchased that plan mentioned above as well as he breakfast plan for $30/day. I asked if I could partake and the person (not mentioning names as I'm still here and don't wish to get anyone in trouble) told me that I would have needed to ask about it only on checking in. I asked how I was to know about it since there are no signs and no one told me. This person told me that they had a meeting about it today and discussed whether to tell guests or not and it was decided against because this was an option under Hyatt and they are trying to move away from it at the present time, however it is still available upon request...hmmm, poor customer service in my opinion. Also, the tips go into a pool that they all share so if someone goes above and beyond, give them your tip on the sly (I.e. Cash or pesos).
Wifi: not free, you have to pay about $15 for 24 hours, but it's good and I've had no problems connecting. Only suggestion to hotel would be to make it easier on guests to obtain your login, because you have to physically go to the front desk each day and pick up you written down PIN number pulled from a book. Weird as this is the 21st century and all.
Spa: do splurge on this. I did their Mayan massage and it was good. Very relaxing as that's what I was looking for since I'm traveling alone. I'm going again for the hot stone massage and shiatsu upon checking out.

That is about all I can review for now but I think it's overall pretty positive. I'd stay here again if given the chance to but I never stay at the same place twice. I'm sure all the kinks will be worked out soon as they are just adjusting to the take over recently. I will be trying their sushi bar tomorrow and the beach restaurant as well so we'll see how that goes. I hope this review was helpful in anyway and it's not exactly complete. If you're considering this place then do give it a shot. If you're looking for a place away from the hustle and bustle that brings about the all inclusive hotels then this is it. Relaxation at its finest!

Tip: do NOT buy any conveniences on the hotel grounds. There is an XOXO right across the street where you can buy everything you need. I bought two 1L bottles of water for only 17 pesos whereas the room and convenience store in the hotel charge you 110 pesos for one...rip off! The bottles of water by the sink in your room are free though, but you only get two. Stay hydrated my friends! lol

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Allinclusiveguy1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Hotel has a good location and view but giving a low rating for the service. My parents arrived at the hotel and due to a mistake from hotel staff they broke their phone. They had to completely change their plans in order to buy a new phone with little to no support from the hotel staff. Next time will pick a hotel with better customer service

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was booked for Hyatt Regency, Krystal took over on May 1st.

Excellent Location, walk-able to main bars, clubs, restaurants, and shops.

Hotel Room was clean, you can hear all the noise outside of the room (doors slamming, neighbors shower running), also if your on your balcony you can hear the noise from the AC units of the neighboring hotel. Shower is clean, big, water pressure good, room was always cleaned timely with new supplies. Beds are ok, not the most comfortable.

Air condition in room, in the hotel, elevator, restaurants, hallways - quite warm, wasn't sure if AC worked in those areas.

Not a lot of younger people at the hotel (18-25 range).

Pool was always half empty, the swim up bar made some horrible drinks.

The breakfast buffet was ok, out of 10, it was like a 6. Good but not great. Didn't eat any other meal here besides breakfast so can't comment on anything else.

Slightly above average and just below very good, i would say more like good but no rating for that.

Room Tip: Ask for beach side, much quieter balcony then those facing Dreams Hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Previously known as Hyatt Regency until 05/01/2014, now part of neighbor Krystal Hotel Group. Located in Punta Cancun(upper north-east corner of Cancun Resort Area) and very close to
Cancun Convention Center. Great location, great beach. Clean with good, helpful staff. I stayed in a high floor, so there was no problem with noise. Air conditioner was perfect. Will stay here again when coming back to Cancun.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. Lucky if you can get a beach front high floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I cannot speak a lot about the new administration, but my stay started under Hyatt Regency and finished under Krystal Grand..

The noise outside of big A/C machines still is there. If you close your windows you will barely hear it. Not a problem in my case.

The beach is amazing. Very wide and you could walk into the sea 30m and still have the water barely reach your waist...

The location is not very friendly to walk around, but as long as you stick to the amazing beach and to the amazing tours all around the Yucatan peninsula, you'll be fine...

Room Tip: Pick ocean view for less A/C noise..
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I left some cherished items accidentally in the room when we checked out. I notified hotel immediately and requested the items be mailed to my home. Have tried no less than 6 times,via phone calls and e mails to get a response and can't even get management to contact me on the matter. Furthermore the rooms are Spartan and uninviting. what kind of hotel blows you off in customer service like this. One that won't get return visitors certainly. I should have figured that out since the first contact with staff was bug sprayers in our room as we arrived. Will never go back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Flanders, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I only stayed here for one night during my trip and don't have any complaints. Its not overly luxurious however it was clean and comfortable. No problems, Restaurant in the hotel had the best tortilla soup I have ever had. View was breathtaking. Very close to bars/clubs..could hear music at night through balcony. Pool area was small and well maintained. Beach was beautiful. A good value if your not looking for all inclusive. Location is perfect for younger crowd.

Room Tip: Ocean View ONLY
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank fabash826
Scastrejon2014, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Krystal Grand Punta Cancun, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your comments. We are glad you enjoy your stay and we hope to see you again in Punta Cancun for more days so we can exceed your expectations with our facilities at Krystal Grand Punta Cancun.

Best Regards,