“Nice!”

Krystal Grand Punta Cancun
Ranked #55 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel used to be the Hyatt Regency. The room was clean and comfortable. There were several restaurant options along with room service. We were in a room overlooking an old Krystal hotel that they are working on the remodel so very early (before 8am) we could hear the construction work. Also, the sound proofing between rooms is not very good. We could hear the neighbors phone ringing after midnight, and their child playing a toy flute at 7:30am. The beach at the hotel is public beach and was very crowded. The service in all the restaurants was very good and the food offerings were delicious. Aside from the negatives that are already stated, this was a decent place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the construction being done on the hotel next door.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,631)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Krystal Punta Grand Hotel

The lobby was not what I expected. It looked more like a reception area for a luxurious residential apartment block. The 13-floor cylinder structure of the hotel stretches up to the top and is capped by a giant glass roof. Very chic, very modern, very environmental friendly and very echoey... Not great if you have rowdy guests who enjoy late night parties.

Our room was lovely with two small double beds and as were on the Altitude floor, we could pop up to the 14th floor (which was actually the 13th floor) for cold bottles of mineral water, coffee, fresh fruits and cookies from 7 am to 10pm with no extra charges. On the first two days we were also served cocktail and snacks such as sushi, sashimis, Mexican hot tapas during cocktail hours from 5 to 7 but with more rooms occupied on the Altitude floors, they put out an array of hor d'oeuvres which, whilst substantial, are not as scrumptious as the snack menu. Our continental breakfast buffet is also served here - cheese, smoked salmon, bread, cereals, a single hot dish that changes from day to day (French toast or quiche). The spread was not bad, but after the third day, it became rather boring with little variety. I know that they served better breakfast downstairs as we ate there when the Altitude floors were not busy and so were given an upgrade in breakfast.

The swimming pools were cleaned at the start of the month and when I said cleaning, I meant proper scrubbing and vacuuming the bottom of the pool. The pool workers and other staff went about their work with quiet efficiency and reserved friendliness - they are efficient and unobtrusive, respecting your privacy and need for solitude, but when greeted, their genuine friendliness was obvious.

The beach was well kept and man, the white powdery sand as you sink your feet into the beach close to the sea (the section further from the water is full of seashells which may hurt your feet if you have tender soles) is unbelievable. The water is clear blue and no litter in sight. The best beach I have seen for more than 10 years of beach holiday.

Save money by taking advantage of their double points scheme. This is where you pay in advance your food and drinks in the hotel (lobster and Angus steak not included in the scheme) but with the credit you pay half price for all your food. For example instead of paying 110 pesos for daiquiri, you only pay 55 pesos. Totally worth it as food is really good.

The only downside to this hotel is that they do not offer free wifi, which is a shame. You have to pay 12 US dollars per day. You do get a lot of free wifi zones in restaurants and cafés outside though.

And this is not a criticism of the hotel but the whole area of Cancun itself... I am not that big a fan of the tipping culture here. The servers even write down what you have to pay after the 15% tip is added. There is that pressure for you to pay up. On the other hand, service is usually very good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cartist_12
Reviewed 6 August 2014

When we got here they couldn't find our reservations did not let me check in 10 min before 3pm. My room was 1209 facing all the construction. It is so loud every day at 8 am it starts! No water in the room had to call customer service. Hotel is located close to shopping the only plus right across hotel is an xoxo convenient and also in the mornings there's a lady that sells food there very cheap and delicious! Overall not the best place to stay while they are renovating the hotel next door.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were quite alarmed by the many negative reviews posted over the past few months, and expected to see a decline across all aspects since our previous visit when it was a Hyatt Hotel. Happily, we were pleased overall - there were a few minor changes, but none affected our stay. My husband and I opted to again upgrade to the offered Concierge package, and I think that makes a huge difference. Yes, it does add to the daily cost/room, but the advantages significantly outweigh the amount spent - an excellent room on one of the top two floors, glorious view, breakfast and happy hour (free drinks and heavy hors d'oervres) daily, all-day coffee/tea/bottled water, and concierge service. We ventured out daily - to nearby shops/markets, and also rode the bus several times to El Centro and to La Isla (an upscale shopping center). I would suggest to those unhappy with their room on arrival, that they ask (courteously, and before they unpack), to be moved to a different room. We found all staff to be friendly and efficient - especially Jose in the Altitude Lounge, and Manuel, the Concierge for the Altitude Club.

Room Tip: Select the Altitude option, and arrange for private transportation from Cancun Airport to the Hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I just came back from Cancun and stayed 7 days here. At first, I was a little bit scared after reading all the reviews. The first thing I packed was a 2pack of plug ins, since some people had said the rooms were stinky, but guess what? didn't even need them at all!...What a great surprise when I opened the room door. I had a room with a gorgeous view and was very clean. The couch looked new and the walls were recenly painted too. My room was 1120 with ocean view and I never had any problems with too much noise or noisy balcony. Now, you can hear the music from the club closed to the hotel, but not that loud to the point you cannot sleep. I also wasn't able to pay attention to the air conditioner noise from Fiesta Americana until the fourth day, and that was because my daughter and I were basically the only ones at the Grill restaurant. I would strongly recommend you to give it a try. The hotel is being renovated, new bar in lobby, brand new chairs, extremely clean, and last but not least VERY CLEAN AND GORGEOUS BEACH!!...(with very calm water).

I booked this hotel because of the price and the calmed water for my 9 yr old, and felt it was worth it!!...Don't forget to take advantage of the food promotion at the hotel because It can get very pricey, but if you walk towards Coco Bongo discoteque, you will find souveniers, and lots of small restaurants with reasonable prices.
Also, the beaches in Cancun are plublic. However, they don't allow any vendors, so you feel very relaxed here, and like I said if you have small children, this is the perfect beach for them. The waves are very rough on the long part of the seven.
Marcelino and Felipe are extremely friendly at the Grill restaurant and Roberto at the lobby.
Ask for the password for free Wi-Fi. They had said that the one for free was very slow, but it worked perfect to me, so I didn't have to request the one where you have to pay daily.
Great stay!!!...give it a try!!!...

Room Tip: Book a room with ocean view. Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank latina384
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Although this hotel is located on a beach with very blue and clear water, this hotel is next to several very cheap hotels that play very loud music all hours of the day and night. Many locals use this beach causing to be very crowded. Additionally, the hotel looks out on a jetty made from cubes of cement--a real eye sore and not the beautiful, unobstructed ocean view you would expect. If you leave the property, you will almost immediately be swarmed by tourist-hungry vendors, and the atmosphere of the local area is comparable to walking through a tacky amusement park.

The hotel itself only has one restaurant, which is outdoor in between the pool and beach. It is nice for lunch outside, but it lacks air-conditioning and I got pretty bored of the menu quickly throughout the stay. I wanted a nicer setting for dinner. The lobby is too spare and isn't finished, so there are no areas to congregate, which was an issue for us because we didn't have somewhere to sit to meet up with family. The pool is below/behind the restaurant and you can't even see the ocean from it. The professional photos of the pool don't show that there is always a volleyball net up and music blasting, so if you're looking for a quiet, serene pool with ocean views, don't expect it. The professional photos are quite deceiving of the true atmosphere. The pool-beach setup is not cohesive, so you can't have adults sitting in the shade by the pool watching the kids play in the ocean (unlike many other hotels along Cancun where that is possible). We stayed at the JW Marriot last year, which has a beautiful infinity pool where you can enjoy views of the ocean while relaxing with a good book in the pool. There was no place in the pool where you could do this at the Krystal Grand.

VERY IMPORTANT: 2 of the 4 elevators were broken throughout our stay there, and the hotel staff claimed to have fixed them daily yet they remained broken. The lines for the elevators were long and it ended up being FASTER to physically climb 12 flights of stairs to our room! On TWO occasions when my family did use the elevator, it DROPPED 3 stories, stopped, and dropped another 3 stories, and the emergency stop buttons did not work! They described it as a real-life Tower of Terror ride. The hotel needs serious renovations to its infrastructure.

There is also construction going on right next to the hotel, which many guests complained about. Another thing to note is that this is a Mexican hotel, so there are few Americans staying there and the food is truly Mexican, which may be a pro or con depending on what you're looking for.

In general, I would NOT recommend staying there. It is not what you would expect. Look elsewhere...there are plenty better options.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank KG110
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My fiancé and I booked our vacation here because we thought it was a great deal for a 4 star hotel. We were shocked and appalled upon arrival by the poor service, and the fact that our room was overlooking a huge construction site and we were awoken every morning at 7am by jackhammers. Coming from New York City, we were hoping to get away from the noise, but found that it was worse in Cancun than at home. We called the front desk to ask to be moved, but they basically kept putting us on hold and didn't really care.

The next roadblock came when we tried to order food and drinks at the pool bar. I do not exaggerate when I say that it took 40 MINUTES to get two margaritas. The bartenders and waiters were very overwhelmed, even though it didn't seem terribly busy. We couldn't even get them to take our order, let alone make it. After a long, weary day of traveling, we sorely needed food and libation and this was a terrible welcome. We did, however, leave an exorbitantly large tip that first day and did not suffer the same wait time for the rest of our trip.

*Take note that on slow days they open the pool, amenities, and beach access to any local who buys a pass. We noticed that on Sunday and Monday there were significantly more people (particularly families) at the pool and cabanas than on Friday and Saturday. Any local can come in and buy a wrist bracelet for himself and his family, so there were a lot more children running amuck. It didn't really bother us too much, as most people were fairly considerate, but there were a few more screaming kids. Oh yes, and the families took over the bathroom stalls to use as their personal changing areas and left them quite messy. The feeling of exclusivity that a "luxury" hotel should have was lost.

The other major issue we had, was with the "point" system. They gave us the option to purchase points upon arrival. Basically, you buy $250 credit, and they match that so that your money goes twice as far. The problem with this is, it was unclear whether they were giving us 50% off of our bill, or deducting the total amount from it, and therefore it was impossible to keep track of how much money we were spending. I feel like they do this on purpose to keep people spending more. It was like a Vegas casino! We both have two Master's degrees and could not figure out how it worked. This is not an all inclusive hotel and the prices are outrageous! Do not expect to eat at the hotel if you are on a budget. An average meal with one or two drinks for two people cost $100 USD.

To be fair, they have a very nice private beachside dinner service which I would recommend. Also, the spa was very nice, and we got great massages.

Other than that, it was a disappointing experience and I recommend you look elsewhere for accommodations. I am attaching a photo of the construction sight view from our balcony for your viewing pleasure.

Room Tip: Get a room that doesn't overlook the construction site. It will be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple