“Prepare to Spend Money Outside of the Hotel”
Review of Maya Caribe Hotel

Maya Caribe Hotel
Ranked #159 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Dorset, UK
“Prepare to Spend Money Outside of the Hotel”
Reviewed 17 January 2010

I travelled with a friend to Cancun on Boxing Day 2009 for two weeks.
We booked in November, so the choice of hotels and resorts within our budget was somewhat limited. I read the reviews on TripAdvisor.. but there were not that many for Maya Caribe - so despite some misgivings I booked the Maya Caribe.

A tip for other travellers is to also check the reviews for Hotel Dos Playas, which is the 'sister hotel' to Maya Caribe. In reality we spent more time around the Dos Playas pool than anywhere in Maya Caribe. It's literally just a few footsteps away and unless you were told you would not know they were two separate hotels.

Short review: If you're looking for a place to crash for a night or two - go for it. If you're looking for a relaxing holiday - forget it.

Long review:

Rooms:

The first room we were put in was room B7. The porter that took us round there told us in no uncertain terms that he thought the room was appalling and we should ask for another. At that point we were tired from the journey so were only interested in our beds. After two nights of sleeping in that room we were fed up. The shower leaked all over the floor, into the bedroom. The air conditioning banged constantly, and the actual placement of the room was very poor - next to the tennis courts. There was nowhere outside to sit and relax unless we were prepared to sit outside the room next to the main pathway, where people came and went. On day two we were moved to a room inside the main hotel - room 206. This room was much better, although we had the same problem with the shower leaking - but at least it leaked into the toilet area rather than directly into the bedroom. Overall the room was clean, but there were two vital things missing.

First: a Do Not Disturb sign.
Second: a Fridge.

And for people that need it - a hairdryer.

It was extremely annoying not to be able to hang out a Do Not Disturb sign. The maids do a room check - for whatever reason - at around 09:00 every morning. They will knock twice, and unless you know the Spanish for 'go away', or 'you are not needed', they will come in. Several times we were 'caught' in the shower, or in bed, and even in the nude by maids that didn't seem to understand the meaning of the word 'no'. You have around ten seconds to answer the door before they use their key. NOT good. I am still not sure why they did the room check. They must surely have a list of which rooms need cleaning? When it came to cleaning the room, we often came back to our room at 15:00-16:30 to find it had still not been cleaned. Perhaps we were unlucky and were one of the last rooms to be cleaned..

No fridge! What sort of hotel doesn't even have a fridge to keep things cool in? This one! Not only does this 'all inclusive' hotel not have a mini-bar (which could be forgiven given the star rating), but there's not even an empty fridge to keep drinks purchased in the shop cool. :(

There is no hairdryer. So if you have long tresses, make sure you take one.

We found ourselves without towels around 5 days out of the 14, where the maids took the towels away to be replaced, then just forgot to replace them, despite several reminders from us to reception.

Food:

Budget style buffet food. It wasn't great, but it wasn't too bad - as long as you bear in mind that this is a budget hotel and you are not likely to get top grade foods. I recommend using the Thai restaurant every night you can to break the monotony. The chef cooks the food in front of you and will show you what goes into each dish.

I found that some days the buffet could be plentiful, with all food stations used, and other days it was like the staff just couldn't be bothered.

Forget the puddings unless you like artificial cream. Yuk!!!!

The fish eaten in Mexico is exquisite.. and here was no exception. I don't even know what it was called - unfortunately I didn't speak enough Spanish, and the chef didn't speak enough English to tell me what it was.

Poolside:

The pools weren't terribly clean. A tip for travellers new to the Caribbean is to make use of the cold shower both before you go in the pool and immediately after you come out. Don't just leap out of the pool onto a sunbed in this place. A few times I saw someone come round to 'check' the water, but I'm not sure how he did this, given that he scooped some water out into a plastic cup and looked into it.. Not a very good measure of how clean it is...

Beware the red ants! We spent a lot of time next to the main pool in Dos Playas. There are red ant nests all around the pool. Keep your sun lounger away from the walls and do not eat by the pool. I made the mistake of taking out a muffin from breakfast and found it swarming with red ants after putting it down by my sun lounger. Despite using insect repellant, my travelling companion was bitten to bits on the legs during the first couple of days and spent the second half of the holiday covered up to prevent the legs getting even more bitten, or burnt. It was so bad that we went to reception to ask to see a doctor. There is no doctor on site. The best they could do was allow us to talk to the doctor on the phone, or take a trip to casualty. I was lucky enough to be bitten only a few times, but that was enough.

Entertainment: Forget it. When you check in you are given a list of 'activities' that are supposed to take place every day of your stay. During our 14 day stay we saw diving lessons undertaken twice, bingo in the afternoon around 8 times and pool and beach volleyball around 3 times. The 2 'entertainment staff' spend most of their time hard-selling to Coco Bongo or Senor Frogs. They tended to talk only to people they took out on organised trips to these places. Coco Bongo is NOT CHEAP, but I think a lot of people were so desperate for entertainment they went anyway. The guys pay $50 a head, the girls pay a promotional rate of $35 a head.

There is nowhere to go in the evenings on the resort. We spent many evenings down at a bar near to the resort, or out in Cancun, because the alternative was to sit in the hotel room watching television (free channels - no 'pay to view' premium channels available even if we wanted to pay for them). There is no designated entertainment area at either Maya Caribe or Dos Playas - probably because they don't provide any entertainment. I wasn't too bothered about that as long as I had somewhere to sit in the evening. Unfortunately there wasn't anywhere to sit either, unless we fancied sitting around the pool area on sun loungers or hard back chairs (no tables). A lot of people would lean up against the eight foot bar area, drinking and smoking till it closed at 22:30.

The bar and restaurant in Maya Caribe itself was sometimes open, and sometimes not, during designated opening hours. We ended up eating and drinking in Dos Playas because the Maya Caribe was unreliable. Everything closes at 22:30.. and I did find myself in the unfortunate position of trying to find a soft drink past this time. I went to reception and all they could offer me was tap water - no good to my European stomach.

I think the lack of entertainment was my biggest gripe with this resort. I always choose to go all inclusive when I travel so that I've paid for everything up front. As it was, we spent around a thousand dollars, just trying to relieve the boredom of spending time in a resort that had no entertainment laid on. Around half the holiday was overcast and windy, so we really didn't have much choice but to find our own entertainment outside the resort.

I do hate to see reviews that do nothing but complain, and I did go with an open mind, preparing not to expect much, but I'm afraid this hotel let down even my minimal expectations. I don't expect to go on holiday to an all-inclusive resort and end up spending what is, to me, a lot of money.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
9 Thank Nicola_in_Dorset

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Ontario
Reviewed 4 June 2009

My friends and I ended up here through a mistake from our travel agency. After nearly twenty hours of travel with no food, my friends and I arrived at the resort of our dreams in the Mayan Riviera, only to be told that there was a mistake and our travel agent booked us into Maya Caribe in Cancun instead. After arguing with representatives for over two hours, we decided to take the two-hour ride back to Cancun and stay the night at the Maya Caribe until we could sort things out in the morning.

Before arriving, we contacted the hotel and were informed that they were a 3-star hotel - not bad, right? wrong. The van pulled up and we were sure we were entering Dante's ninth ring of hell. The entrance was a concrete parking lot with a lobby that reminds me of the shabbiest of motels you see in the movies. The grounds were cute and the building itself definitely has a lot of potential - something I would stay at in Greece for about a third the price we were paying (we had paid for a 5-star hotel in the Mayan Riviera). However, it is not well kept, with no covers for the lightbulbs, black mould all over the walls and tiles, and two of the three rooms we were in had no hot water. The shower also sprayed everywhere but in the shower itself and left everything wet. The food was awful - we were told it was Italian theme and when asked where the pasta was, or meat, we were met with a shrug and pointed to stale rice. Granted it was late, but we were famished and very disappointed.

On the plus side, the drinks were delicious, and the rest of the staff were very very nice. The beach, although small and covered in seaweed (one poor soul was trying to clean up the seaweed with garbage bags, but fighting a losing battle), had beautiful soft white sand. After an approximately 20-hour stay at Maya Caribe-Dos Playas, we were able to sort everything out and made it back to our desired destination and the beautiful Mayan Riviera. If you're travelling from outside of Mexico and looking for a nice trip, I certainly recommend paying that little bit more. As I said, it's got potential but isn't worth it yet.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Scotland
Reviewed 13 February 2009

this hotel was awful . The air conditioning broke twice and we were left in sweltering heat for several days. The food was canteen like and always the same. the sevice was awful and the frowns of the staff made me nevious. The rooms were not very clean and the bathrooms needed a complete overhaul. Black mould around the tiles. the pathways underfoot were broken and uneven. only one resturant was available. another resturant did exisit at the other end of the hotel but i never saw it open.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank grace47scotland
Minnesota
Reviewed 10 December 2008

I was at the Maya Caribe in March of 2007. The year before, I had stayed at the sister hotel next door, Dos Playas. Dos Playas was 100 time better than this place. I was placed in one of the garden view bungalows. It was not nice at all. No hot water whatsoever. I did hear that the rooms in the larger building were much nicer, but never got the chance to look in one. I went with a large group, our main reasons for the vacation was to have a cheap beach vacation to enjoy the sun and drinks. For the price we paid, I can't really complain. I will say tho, that to spend a couple hundred extra dollars, it is worth it to stay at the hotel next door. The buffet food was o.k. , you are allowed to use the buffet/pools/beach at Dos Playas, and their food was much better. (When I stayed at Dos Playas in '06 Maya Caribe wasn't open due to hurricane damage).
Overall, if your just looking for a cheap getaway, this place is decent, but if your used to any sort of luxury at all, this isnt the place for you.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
5 Thank cabaretevisitor
Johnstown, PA
Reviewed 27 August 2008

After reading reviews on this hotel I was really scared to book it, but at the deal me and my family got I decided that I'd see if for myself. Let me tell you I wasn't disappointed in this hotel at all. The food wasn't all that great, the drinks were tho. The service was wonderful everyone was really nice and helpful. One thing if possible get a room with an ocean view they are cleaner than the ones with the garden view. The 3 pools were nice and the 2 at Dos Playas were nice too. The beach was beautiful!! The front desk people were great and always looked to help us. We did the day trip to Chicten Itza, 1/2 the price, 1/2 the time. It was amazing, overall this hotel is what we paid for. No real complaints at all. We have pictures and everything else, if you could like to see them and no more please feel free to email me! Stay here it was a great time :) Hope this helps, tons more pics if you email me

Sheena

• Liked — the service and the people working there
  • Disliked — the food wasn't too great
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Sheena2919
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2008

We arrived at Maya Caribe with Um's and R's after reading the reviews
We Checked in No prob's,We were Asked if we wanted a sea /Pool/Garden Room. We choose Sea.
We arrived to our room it was spaicous clean* A1 *View over looking the pool/Ocean View. well worth the price we paid "£254-00 All inclusive through A1 travel
Great.... .
Rooms need a good paint , Sealent /groat needed in the bathroom area's (They paint on top of everthing...)
Warning Lots of teenage holiday travellers use the rooms(**We **had to warn them about they behaviour) It stopped..
BAR at the Top is the best ,tip them and they will look after you.BOTTOM BAR bar drinks are watered down...
Breakfast is good. Lunch is Open buffet/burgers(watch for food not used in the day is used at night)
Food is Basic , If your there for two weeks eat out/about
Yo must try ther chinese ,you have to book in advance, they dont advertise it !!!Diving book by the Pool (they are A1)
Synotes are wicked
Trips do your self- like Xcaret ,Tulum etc
Take the Ferry your self
Car is really cheap, Roads are really good..
The shows and bars are Great Bewarned ,Once your in the Club YOU WILL HAVE TO TIP EVERTIME YOU WANT A DRINK!!
TIP-tell them you will tip them at the end of the night...
Was a great Hol for 2 weeks £700-00 ,
The Bar staff and the entertanment guy was great
Book through A1 Travel/Chadwick not the Best But the price was wicked Would choose another Hotel next time..
Ruth

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Watered down Beer
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Ruth H
Stockholm
Reviewed 21 July 2008

The hotel has good potential, situated on a calm beach, it has a really great view over the Mexican gulf. The pool area is kept clean and reaches its highest potential late at night when you can relax under the stars. The garden is well kept and very beautiful. We would recommend that you make sure you get a room in the mainbuilding though, just as people have written before, we stayed on the second floor and had just a minor issue with insects. The aircondition must be taken care of, it is so loud I can´t imagine how I ever got used to it..and it also suffered technical problems. The standard in the bathrooms could easily be raised if they put a shower head, clean showercurtains and offers a toilet that doesnt break down all the time. The bed is as hard as it can possibly get, and could easily be made softer with a matress. The room was cleaned everyday, no complains. The hotelarea felt safe, even late at night on the beach. Dont pay all inclusive because you will be eating out anyway. The food is just as people have written before, awful, and with insects. The worst of all, the staff in the restaurant is so rude you shouldnt bother even speaking to them. Also here, the hotel could earn a lot of more respect if they take care of the restaurant part. The staff at the hotel is somewhat helpful but speaks very limited english. I would actually not stay here again...not if I wasnt sure they had fixed a lot of things...The hotel is also situated a bit off..Having a holiday in Cancun is all about wich hotel you chose..its nothing wrong with that , the city was build up as a touristarea. What kind of hotel you chose sets its mark on how your trip will be. If I were to go again, I would have saved more money and got myself into a more expensive hotel, just a little bit more...It would be worth it...actually Im not the kind of person that normaly would say a thing like that but in Cancun...thats the way it is...

Stayed July 2008