“does not cater for the english in any way”
Review of Maya Caribe Hotel

Maya Caribe Hotel
Ranked #156 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 7 March 2011

the setting of the hotel was verygood but that is the best i can say the only resterant was the worst i have ever bean to the food was terrible the service was none exsistant if you didnt get there early thay ran out of food and what thay did have was cold there was another resterrant on site but it was the other side of the hotel and the staff had to carry the uncoverd food across the gardens because thay did not cook in the second resterant there was only a couple of tabels and chairs out side so even if you managed to get a drink from the bar there was nowere to sit with it the rooms were very basic with no hot water at all and not very clean

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank wurzelofleeds

Reviewed 22 October 2010

beautiful gardens- ocean view rooms are 50 feet from ocean

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank macambo
Reviewed 1 April 2010

We booked one night stay all inclusve. Travelled w/sister & husband & his sister & myself. We notified them in advance that I was arriving handicapped (broken ankle - wheelchair) etc. and required first floor accomodations.
We thank God were staying at a time share for the rest of vacation.
When we arrived they really didn't seem to know what or where they were going to do with us. They finally decided on the villas-after bouncing me over the rough concrete to get to these villas - we found them in total disrepair - one room having no shower head - not towels in the units - doors not fitting - rooms filled with mosquitoes - it did not look like they had been used for sometime. We had two separate rooms - one had a phone - one did not - one had TV that worked with multiple channels - one did not - We right away realized that there was a better way to get to and from these "villas" to main area via the nice smooth sidewalk that ran along the roadway in front. It was a horrendous challenge to get me to the dinner area for our all inclusive -- food was at best some of it edible & the drinks barely ok. I would definitely not recommend this property to handicapped or elderly - or really after my experience to anyone - cheaper or not -- spend more -- worth it -

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank reeny9999
Reviewed 13 March 2010

I booked this hotel and transfer in www.bestday.com (Feb 18 - 21, 2010) under some recomendation and interesting pictures. After try to transfer us to the wrong hotel, we finally arrived in Maya Caribe. After arrival, it was informed that the hotel was overbooked and my girlfriend and I were going to be moved to another room. It was not clean, it was necessary to ask for new towels... Affter call Best Day 1800 and wait for around 40 minutes for a solution, they proposed to transfer me to another hotel, pay a taxi for the transfer and some money due to tariff difference...
Sumarizing: Be carefull when booking considering pictures at www.bestday.com and stay away from Maya Caribe ( and Celuisma Dos Playas, sister hotel inside Maya Carybe).

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank EDERLOPES75
Reviewed 17 January 2010

I travelled with a friend to Cancun on Boxing Day 2009 for two weeks.
We booked in November, so the choice of hotels and resorts within our budget was somewhat limited. I read the reviews on TripAdvisor.. but there were not that many for Maya Caribe - so despite some misgivings I booked the Maya Caribe.

A tip for other travellers is to also check the reviews for Hotel Dos Playas, which is the 'sister hotel' to Maya Caribe. In reality we spent more time around the Dos Playas pool than anywhere in Maya Caribe. It's literally just a few footsteps away and unless you were told you would not know they were two separate hotels.

Short review: If you're looking for a place to crash for a night or two - go for it. If you're looking for a relaxing holiday - forget it.

Long review:

Rooms:

The first room we were put in was room B7. The porter that took us round there told us in no uncertain terms that he thought the room was appalling and we should ask for another. At that point we were tired from the journey so were only interested in our beds. After two nights of sleeping in that room we were fed up. The shower leaked all over the floor, into the bedroom. The air conditioning banged constantly, and the actual placement of the room was very poor - next to the tennis courts. There was nowhere outside to sit and relax unless we were prepared to sit outside the room next to the main pathway, where people came and went. On day two we were moved to a room inside the main hotel - room 206. This room was much better, although we had the same problem with the shower leaking - but at least it leaked into the toilet area rather than directly into the bedroom. Overall the room was clean, but there were two vital things missing.

First: a Do Not Disturb sign.
Second: a Fridge.

And for people that need it - a hairdryer.

It was extremely annoying not to be able to hang out a Do Not Disturb sign. The maids do a room check - for whatever reason - at around 09:00 every morning. They will knock twice, and unless you know the Spanish for 'go away', or 'you are not needed', they will come in. Several times we were 'caught' in the shower, or in bed, and even in the nude by maids that didn't seem to understand the meaning of the word 'no'. You have around ten seconds to answer the door before they use their key. NOT good. I am still not sure why they did the room check. They must surely have a list of which rooms need cleaning? When it came to cleaning the room, we often came back to our room at 15:00-16:30 to find it had still not been cleaned. Perhaps we were unlucky and were one of the last rooms to be cleaned..

No fridge! What sort of hotel doesn't even have a fridge to keep things cool in? This one! Not only does this 'all inclusive' hotel not have a mini-bar (which could be forgiven given the star rating), but there's not even an empty fridge to keep drinks purchased in the shop cool. :(

There is no hairdryer. So if you have long tresses, make sure you take one.

We found ourselves without towels around 5 days out of the 14, where the maids took the towels away to be replaced, then just forgot to replace them, despite several reminders from us to reception.

Food:

Budget style buffet food. It wasn't great, but it wasn't too bad - as long as you bear in mind that this is a budget hotel and you are not likely to get top grade foods. I recommend using the Thai restaurant every night you can to break the monotony. The chef cooks the food in front of you and will show you what goes into each dish.

I found that some days the buffet could be plentiful, with all food stations used, and other days it was like the staff just couldn't be bothered.

Forget the puddings unless you like artificial cream. Yuk!!!!

The fish eaten in Mexico is exquisite.. and here was no exception. I don't even know what it was called - unfortunately I didn't speak enough Spanish, and the chef didn't speak enough English to tell me what it was.

Poolside:

The pools weren't terribly clean. A tip for travellers new to the Caribbean is to make use of the cold shower both before you go in the pool and immediately after you come out. Don't just leap out of the pool onto a sunbed in this place. A few times I saw someone come round to 'check' the water, but I'm not sure how he did this, given that he scooped some water out into a plastic cup and looked into it.. Not a very good measure of how clean it is...

Beware the red ants! We spent a lot of time next to the main pool in Dos Playas. There are red ant nests all around the pool. Keep your sun lounger away from the walls and do not eat by the pool. I made the mistake of taking out a muffin from breakfast and found it swarming with red ants after putting it down by my sun lounger. Despite using insect repellant, my travelling companion was bitten to bits on the legs during the first couple of days and spent the second half of the holiday covered up to prevent the legs getting even more bitten, or burnt. It was so bad that we went to reception to ask to see a doctor. There is no doctor on site. The best they could do was allow us to talk to the doctor on the phone, or take a trip to casualty. I was lucky enough to be bitten only a few times, but that was enough.

Entertainment: Forget it. When you check in you are given a list of 'activities' that are supposed to take place every day of your stay. During our 14 day stay we saw diving lessons undertaken twice, bingo in the afternoon around 8 times and pool and beach volleyball around 3 times. The 2 'entertainment staff' spend most of their time hard-selling to Coco Bongo or Senor Frogs. They tended to talk only to people they took out on organised trips to these places. Coco Bongo is NOT CHEAP, but I think a lot of people were so desperate for entertainment they went anyway. The guys pay $50 a head, the girls pay a promotional rate of $35 a head.

There is nowhere to go in the evenings on the resort. We spent many evenings down at a bar near to the resort, or out in Cancun, because the alternative was to sit in the hotel room watching television (free channels - no 'pay to view' premium channels available even if we wanted to pay for them). There is no designated entertainment area at either Maya Caribe or Dos Playas - probably because they don't provide any entertainment. I wasn't too bothered about that as long as I had somewhere to sit in the evening. Unfortunately there wasn't anywhere to sit either, unless we fancied sitting around the pool area on sun loungers or hard back chairs (no tables). A lot of people would lean up against the eight foot bar area, drinking and smoking till it closed at 22:30.

The bar and restaurant in Maya Caribe itself was sometimes open, and sometimes not, during designated opening hours. We ended up eating and drinking in Dos Playas because the Maya Caribe was unreliable. Everything closes at 22:30.. and I did find myself in the unfortunate position of trying to find a soft drink past this time. I went to reception and all they could offer me was tap water - no good to my European stomach.

I think the lack of entertainment was my biggest gripe with this resort. I always choose to go all inclusive when I travel so that I've paid for everything up front. As it was, we spent around a thousand dollars, just trying to relieve the boredom of spending time in a resort that had no entertainment laid on. Around half the holiday was overcast and windy, so we really didn't have much choice but to find our own entertainment outside the resort.

I do hate to see reviews that do nothing but complain, and I did go with an open mind, preparing not to expect much, but I'm afraid this hotel let down even my minimal expectations. I don't expect to go on holiday to an all-inclusive resort and end up spending what is, to me, a lot of money.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
9  Thank NickiSanta
Reviewed 4 June 2009

My friends and I ended up here through a mistake from our travel agency. After nearly twenty hours of travel with no food, my friends and I arrived at the resort of our dreams in the Mayan Riviera, only to be told that there was a mistake and our travel agent booked us into Maya Caribe in Cancun instead. After arguing with representatives for over two hours, we decided to take the two-hour ride back to Cancun and stay the night at the Maya Caribe until we could sort things out in the morning.

Before arriving, we contacted the hotel and were informed that they were a 3-star hotel - not bad, right? wrong. The van pulled up and we were sure we were entering Dante's ninth ring of hell. The entrance was a concrete parking lot with a lobby that reminds me of the shabbiest of motels you see in the movies. The grounds were cute and the building itself definitely has a lot of potential - something I would stay at in Greece for about a third the price we were paying (we had paid for a 5-star hotel in the Mayan Riviera). However, it is not well kept, with no covers for the lightbulbs, black mould all over the walls and tiles, and two of the three rooms we were in had no hot water. The shower also sprayed everywhere but in the shower itself and left everything wet. The food was awful - we were told it was Italian theme and when asked where the pasta was, or meat, we were met with a shrug and pointed to stale rice. Granted it was late, but we were famished and very disappointed.

On the plus side, the drinks were delicious, and the rest of the staff were very very nice. The beach, although small and covered in seaweed (one poor soul was trying to clean up the seaweed with garbage bags, but fighting a losing battle), had beautiful soft white sand. After an approximately 20-hour stay at Maya Caribe-Dos Playas, we were able to sort everything out and made it back to our desired destination and the beautiful Mayan Riviera. If you're travelling from outside of Mexico and looking for a nice trip, I certainly recommend paying that little bit more. As I said, it's got potential but isn't worth it yet.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 February 2009

this hotel was awful . The air conditioning broke twice and we were left in sweltering heat for several days. The food was canteen like and always the same. the sevice was awful and the frowns of the staff made me nevious. The rooms were not very clean and the bathrooms needed a complete overhaul. Black mould around the tiles. the pathways underfoot were broken and uneven. only one resturant was available. another resturant did exisit at the other end of the hotel but i never saw it open.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple