“Dated, run down resort on the lagoon which was originally quite well appointed but needs updating”

Caribbean Princess Resort
Ranked #125 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
london
Reviewed 13 December 2009

We exchanged through RCI; we were only people there for our week apart from one American couple for one afternoon & a Mexican family for a day. No wonder! Our first room had dead cockroach, non working TV, no hot water, hole on bathroom wall where extractor had been removed; dirty bath area, poor working shower. We were transferred to end unit with hot water in bathroom so long as you ran the taps for 10 minutes; no hot water in kitchen, leaking a/con unit in bedroom; broken blinds; no basin or bath plugs; pleasant enough gardens & pool but very poor otherwise.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spligit

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
UK
Reviewed 26 July 2009

I stayed at this hotel in February 2002 and had a lovely time. The food was excellent and you could have omelette, scrambled eggs or fried eggs made freshly in front of you. There was also toast fruit yoghurts and cereal.
The entertainment was great and good fun the lunch and dinners were all good and has various themes and were excellent!
The staff were great and took us out on a night out which was great fun to Carlos and Charlie's! Coco Bongo was great too!
We took a day trip to Xcaret and swam with the dolphins which was great fun and the mayan river swim was great too!
Good holiday and the room was massive with a huge bed which looked like it could fit about seven people in it!
The room was clean and shower powerful!

• Liked — Fab view and huge bed
  • Stayed February 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
toronto
Reviewed 4 July 2009

I arrived at this hotel in the pouring rain. Staff appeared accommodating and friendly. I was led to room 101. Here's what I found.
#1 Air conditioner, (freezing cold) was beside the bed and it sounded like a freight train.
#2 The washroom stunk to high heaven and the toilet did not flush.
#3. There was a mutant-like black coloured centipede creature running around the bath tub.
#4. The water trickled out of the shower and faucet at the same time and it was all I could do to get this creature down the drain, (which by the way looked like a black abyss from hell.) And of course between the faucet and the shower head I'm getting soaked again.
#5. The telephone did not work.
#6. There was an infestation of critters who were stinging my feet and legs to the point where I ran out of the room into the rain, downstairs and suggested they get me out of there and into a clean room. I showed her my legs.
I was told this was the season for fleas. (Now my impression of the front desk staff has greatly deteriorated.) GIVE ME A BREAK. I cannot begin to tell the viewers how horrific this place was. I had to leave, go out in the pouring rain to a farmacia and get some repellant for my legs.
So's here's the scenario. You've been travelling for 7 hours, you're cold, wet, hungry and you can't even stay in the hotel 'cause you're getting eaten alive. I jumped a bus and rode around for a couple of hours because I had to wait for my friend who was coming in on a later flight. By the time she arrived, they had put us in 201, another dump. My friend was mortified.
Suffice to say, the next day we checked into the Westin Laguna Del Mar, the epitomy of luxury and service. I unpacked the next day and realized there were several personal items missing.
Went back to the dump a few days later, (mea culpa, I know but it really grieved me to go back) and was told nothing was found. Can I point an accusatory finger? Of course not, but I walked away with a lesson learned. I will tell other people the plain and simple truth and they can make their own decisions. This experience prompted me to write. Simply put, this place should be condemned for several reasons. Take your pick.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank mollyfab

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

rachel_lovelee
Reviewed 5 June 2009

My sister and I went to the C.P. in March. We were surprised when we got to our room because we had a master suite-which was beautiful. We never requested one but we were happy to get it. The room itself was very nice and clean, it had a living room, kitchen and seperate bedroom. An hour into our stay the lock on our door broke, and we had to call the front dest numerous times for them to come and fix. Few hours later they finally came....The toilet rarely flushed as well.

The hot tub was not working at all when we were there. The pool side loungers were pretty much all broken and falling apart. The pool side was ok, nothing fantastic. The "bar tender" was never around to take our drink orders, he went missing for 30 minutes at a time. He is also not friendly at all, I thought after I tipped him 200 pesos his attitude would change but it did not.

The food was horrid!!! I'm not that picky of an eater, but this food was something else. At least we had a good laugh at every meal because it was nothing less then a joke. For breakfast we had spam, cut up hot dogs, green beans and ketchup-Disgusting!!! Lunch was a mixture of suppers left overs. *Note they do have a menu you can request, and order food off of that. We did not find out about this till our last couple days.

Also another disturbing event happend. When I arrived back at the hotel at 3:00 am after the club, the security guard offered to walk me up to my room, I didn't see nothing wrong with it at the time. Until he said he has a master key and he can come in, and that he will give me a mexican massage. He then lifted me up in his arms, and proceeded to carry me to my room. I was freaked out!!! I was all alone, thankfully I lied and he believed me when I said I had a couple of guys in the room waiting... He then left me alone. But after that I felt so unsafe and scared. We told management and they did nothing, they did not even care!!!

Overall if you are going to party and get drunk then this place is ok. I would not go back there though. For the price it's alright. If you are going on a honeymoon or romantic getaway, AVOID THE CARIBBEAN PRINCESS!!!!!!

Hope this helps!!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank rachel_lovelee
South Britain
Reviewed 18 May 2009

Well that's about the only positive thing me and my wife took from this trip, our first week was filled with tender oven pork but it failed to make a return in week two, and was replaced every night with the reconstituted gelatine meat that is 'spam'. The food was horrific! The Staff where of excellent manner and very welcoming, except for Thursdays and Saturdays where understandably the all- Inclusive resort do not provide any evening meals. The rooms were basic but clean and I enjoyed numerous night sleep apart from one. On this occasion I was returning in after my regular tipple of gin to find a man with his genitalia exposed by the pool whilst his also naked companion coward from security under a nearby parasol, later that night they returned and infuriatingly rested outside my patio, at which point i asked him to leave and I returned to my slumber. I did feel the need to express my concerns to the management but when I asked the travel representative I was informed that they had run out of complaint forms.
The mini gym was sparsely fitted with a barbell, a broken chair and some sort of apparatus to work the pectoral muscles, that also failed to work. Possibly the final straw on this trip was a note from the management passed through my door at stupid O'clock warning me of the consequences of urinating in the pool. Although my wife does suffer from a delicate bladder she assured me she did no such thing and I thought this rather unprofessional, I will not be recommending this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Loverman72
cardiff,uk
Reviewed 26 April 2009

we,ve just got back from staying at the caribbean princess hotel,and may i say it did,nt meet our expectations, we went there with a five year old child,and friends of ours had a couple of children too,there is nothing to do for the children apart from playing in the pool,also the adult entertainment is a bit of a joke, there was a organist coming to the hotel a couple of nights a week ,and he was just awful ,you could,nt help but laugh at him trying to sing,then he would put his organ on auto-play and go missing for a long time,also the food was very limited and very repetitive,we found ourselves eating out more then we intended,which was not cheap,most of the staff were very friendly and were willing to help you. we are not stuck up people and had gone to cancun expecting a bit more then we got from this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank mikeCardiff_uk
Scotland
Reviewed 24 April 2009

Please don't believe all reviews about this hotel. I stayed there at the same time as a reviewer from Vancouver and disagree entirely with his account from food right through to reps and staff. They were all tremendous under difficult conditions from some travellers. All reps and staff were extremely courteous and helpful throughout our stay and the hotel although not 5 star was absolutely fine. We are going back there in September as a result which,believe you me, we don't do unless happy with the place. As a seasoned traveller,all around the world, I feel able to comment fairly on the Caribbean Princess.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple