“Please Read! Worst experience ever”
Review of Hotel del Sol

Hotel del Sol
Ranked #112 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Glendale
“Please Read! Worst experience ever”
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed in room 8

Pros:
Close to ocean, right across the street close but not so much nice beach just ocean, boats are docked there
Room is clean when you come in
They provide hand soap
Shower is nice size
Old tv in room
Free wifi
Continental breakfast but it's just breads and cereals for those who may be gluten intolerant like me it doesn't help :/
There is a mini market of snack foods and alcohol across the street but it's not for meals.

Cons:
First when we got there I had to go pee and I couldn't flush the toilet, my boyfriend had to pull the toilet out and fix the handle for it to work when you push the button.
Toilet clogs easily w toilet paper and ended up having water flow into bathroom which was not fun and no warning not to use toilet paper in this hotel. We didn't any toilet paper from then on and it still was clogging!
Comes with no towels, you need to request them and bar soap but they did put an animal towel on the bed which I'm sure the bed comforter was not washed so not acceptable to use for my body.
Restaurants/main areas are far away from hotel you need to take taxi
The king Bed is composed of two twin beds hooked together so you feel the beds separated.... Lame and not comfortable!
Opened bed sheets and there is a blood stain on it! That did it for me!
Beds are hard and not comfortable
We couldn't sleep, consistently was woken up by people talking and very loud noises that shook the building. Wanted to leave so bad!
Finally we go to shower and there is no hot water, the storm broke one of their boilers. We get a key to use another room w a different boiler and when I finally start taking shower, I go to use the "shampoo" they said that was in there. It was soap, not shampoo! We got a confirmation before we came saying they provided shampoo conditioner soap and hair dryer. All they provided was soap and when we tried to get some they gave us bubble bath..... Not a happy camper. My boyfriend is Mexican and he asked for shampoo and they said that's what it was, shampoo is not foamy like soap nor dry and I'm a girl I know wht shampoo feels like. Thankfully another customer let me borrow hers to save my long hair from ruining. Then to top it off I go to adjust water temp and the hot shower know burns my hand! How the heck am I supposed to turn it off? Thankfully I wasn't alone and had someone else do it!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank livelife7347

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel as part of a package deal with Expedia. It has it advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages- Hotel del Sol is not very expensive. I think on hotel sites it runs between $35-50 USA per night.
Fast check in.
Located across from one of the ferry terminals and UltraMar is about two blocks down to the right. This one takes you to Isla de Mujeres ($12usa)
Bus stops along the street will take you into town for $1 or 9.50 pesos.
Clean rooms and a good AC system which you will certainly need in summer.
Across from a convenience store OXXO
About a 15 minute walk up (on the right just before the bridge) there is a small market that has a café that serve really good Mexican food.

Disadvantages- This hotel is a bit far out. It's good if you don't want to be in the hotel zone or an extremely busy area.

Be sure to bring your chiropractor on holiday with you because you will need them after one nights sleep on those extremely hard beds. I've always heard people complain about hard beds and now I know what they're talking about. Firm doesn't describe the beds.

It would not hurt to pack a room air freshener as it gets pretty dank smelling at times. Maybe it's because of the sea.

Management could do with ordering new towels for guest as all that I had every day were tatty and looked soiled even though they were clean.

The neighbourhood does look a little rough and slightly abandoned at times but it was okay.

There are a few seafood restaurants down the streets that appear to be touristy and just across the street is Captain Hook which offers a restaurant,entertainment and a party ship.

No toiletries. Maybe you have to ask but you'd think they would be available already.

Hot water lasts 30-60 secs in the shower then it's back to cool.

The free wifi is slow and that's if you can get online to begin with. I had it the first two days and the rest of my holiday it didn't work.

In all my holiday and first time in Cancun was great even the two bad days of really hard rains. Would I recommend or stay at Hotel del Sol again? Probably not.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Mayday2073
Honduras
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We're traveling overland for more than a month around the Yucatan so we can't afford any of the major resorts in the Zona Hotelera. We found this place online with a cheap deal at Despegar.com for $28/night.

We were initially hesitant given some of the negative reviews online. So, we pulled up surprised to find it only a 10-minute drive from the hotel zone and directly across the street from an OXXO and the ferry terminal to Isla Mujeres. The entrance, lobby, and breakfast area is very tasteful and not overdone. I felt as if I was in someone's private villa.

Our room was great! Comfortable bed, great shower (nicest we've had on the trip so far!), delicious breakfast cooked by Louisa, and a surprisingly-scenic and well-done 4th-floor terrace.

I think the bad reviews of this place are from a perception problem. This IS NOT an all-inclusive resort or ocean-front hotel.

However, for $28/night we had a blast and drove over to the beaches in the Zona Hotelera each day.

Great for overlanders, backpackers, budget travelers. If you don't have a car it could be a bit tricky, but remember that there ARE public buses and taxis which are safe.

Highly-recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VisitHonduras
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Very nice and clean hotel. We have stayed here only one night after traveling around couple of states for a week. We have booked one room although we needed two.. the price was much cheaper to book online. We wanted to pay the same but they refused then i ask what if i will book now through the web would they accept and they were happy to go that way. I thought that was nice. Friendly staff .Simple but nice breakfast included. Rooms clean. Location just next to the port puerto Juarez. Would stay longer although we have decided to go all inclusive and rest without worries after exhausting week of traveling.
In the lobby/reception area there were 3 computers that you can use or print documents if needed but only one was working , but slow.
Xp windows system so your external hard drive might not be compatible

Room Tip: I thing on first floor there is nice veranda with sits outside so its nice to have a cigarette or sa...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 4 May 2014

The hotel is clean and staff are very friendly. Nice hotel for the price and just opposite to the ferry. You can take ferry from here to Isle of Mujers. Good for a short stay did not use the restaurant

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This was the perfect place for us to stay overnight before spending two weeks on Isla Mujeres. The staff friendly, our room was clean, great water pressure, and the outside deck on the roof was perfect to start our morning with our coffee. We will be back. Thank you to all the staff. Adios for now.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sacbe
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here because it seemed to have decent reviews, and we didn't want somewhere too close to the hotel zone... Massive fail on our part..

The hotel was conveniently located across the road from a ferry terminal which is good if you want to go across to isla mujeres.. But that is the only thing it is convenient for!! (Bear in mind there is more than one ferry terminal on cancun as well)... There is one average restaurant within walking distance from the hotel but that was it... If you wanted something different you had to get a bus or taxi into town..

The hotel itself was ok... Clean and decent sized... The only thing I had to complain about there would be the water pressure in the shower.. Non existent! And to watch out in a downpour.. It rained quite heavily while we were there and our room was prone to flooding!

If your looking for somewhere quiet and away from the hustle and bustle of cancun this is the place for you, but if you want to be able to do things without catching busses or taxi's, I would stay a little closer to the hotel zone.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends