“Richard & June....Great, after a shaky start”

Occidental Costa Cancun
Ranked #45 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Richard & June....Great, after a shaky start”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We booked an all inclusive with a superior room, and were taken to a small, damp smelling room, on the roadside of the hotel. Immediately, we rejected it before our bags arrived, and complained to the manager at reception. He then showed us a much better, bigger room overlooking the pool. This we took, and it was absolutely fine. The hotel is situated right on a lovely white sandy beach with lots of shade available from many palm trees. It was very busy, but we liked it that way, and the staff were very friendly. We used the gym and spa every day. Both were excellent, and again the staff, especially Betty were very helpful. We particularly liked the Don Quiote restaurant, and the staff were superb. they helped create a great atmosphere. I'm sure they'll remember Derek....as my husband became known ?

Room Tip: Rooms near the road-side had not been refurbished. Near the night entertainment (by the pool) is fin...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Tricky Dicky B
mpgiesemann, MArketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Dear Costumer,
Greetings from Barcelo Costa Cancun It was a pleasure to have you with us. We appreciate taking time to review our services, and I am glad you have rated most of our services very high.
I would be checking on the issue related to your room.
Thank you for choosing us.

Sandra Giesemann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 27 April 2012 via mobile

If you decide to go to this hotel do not book a superior room.nothing suprior about this choice of room at all.I booked a sea view room to be given a room overlooking the pool when i complained they said that was what they called a sea view because you can still see it in the backround very missleading.

• Stayed April 2012
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My boyfriend booked a trip down to this resort for 2 weeks with his friends and I suddenly had a chance to fly down myself. So I took a flight to Cancun and the plan was to pay for an extra person in the room that my boyfriend was staying in. It was 1000 pesos a night, which I expect for an all inclusive hotel but the staff, especially the management was extremely rude and disrespectful. The last night that we stayed in the hotel they changed the clocks all over Mexico one hour forward, which we had absolutely no idea about. The staff never mentioned this, and the little sign at the check in was not helpful at all. As nicely as we apologized for being 45 minutes late from the check out we had to pay for the extra day. Plus the manager treated me very rudely, telling me I have no right to talk to him as I am not the real guest in the hotel although I paid 1000 pesos a night to be there! On top of this they called a security behind us to make sure that we pay for the extra time, all very humiliating and outrageing! I will NEVER stay in this hotel again or recommend it to anyone! Not worth the money for the food or the drinks, I found a huge cockroach in our bathroom and the management should understand that altough we are in our mid twenties, we are paying customers and deserve to be treated with respect!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Julie W
McLean
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My friend and I stayed from 17-21 April with the all-inclusive option. When we arrived at the hotel at noon, we were told we cannot check-in until 3:00pm. When I asked if a room would be available sooner (so we wouldn't have to wait 3 hours), we were given a blunt "no" by the front desk. After we checked in, the bellhop said to leave our luggage in the lobby. We were uncomfortable with that since the lobby is not secure (the luggage would be sitting out in the open for anyone to walk away with). When I asked the front desk where we can put our luggage in a secure place, they said to just leave it in the lobby (as the bellhop said) and that "every guest does this." When I expressed I was uncomfortable with leaving my luggage unsecured, she further went to tell us that we cannot take our luggage to the buffet lunch (where we were waiting for 3 hours). We then proceeded to drag our luggage with us to the lunch buffet. We were also told by a staff tour guide that since we were not leaving our luggage with them, he would not given us the tour of the hotel. No one at the lunch buffet said our suitcases were unwelcome. After 1 hr 45 minutes of waiting for our room, my friend went to see if we could enter our room, and was finally given a key (this proved you can disregard the staff who told us our room wouldn't be ready until 3:00pm). When we dragged our luggage to the 5th floor (the bellhop did not offer to assist), we found that our room had a king bed, and not two beds like we had requested. We then had to ask for another room, which ended up on the 4th floor. The room was nice and had a nice view. Other than the front desk staff's complete lack of customer service, we found that the hotel's location is not quite on "the strip", so bus rides to the center of town were longer than expected. We used the hotel's excursion service to book a trip to Isla Mujeres (a must-do!), and my credit card had fraudulent charges shortly after, so I recommend using cash if booking through them.
The waiters at the buffet breakfast and lunch were excellent. We found out that to have dinner at one of the sit-down restaurants, we have to make a reservation at the front desk between 7am and 3pm the day of. Since we were not told this upon check-in, the buffet was our only option the first night. The second day, we made a reservation and it turns out they only accept reservations on the day of the dinner (you cannot make reservations a day in advance). Also, of the 3 restaurants, a different one is closed every night, so you only have an option of 2 restaurants for dinner. That being said, the food and service at both the seafood and Mexican restaurants was excellent.
There are plenty of lounge chairs out at the beach, which is scenic. We tried sitting at the pool, but the daytime and evening "entertainment" (loud obnoxious music) was so annoying that we resorted to the beach each day. We found it strange to have to go to the front desk to get pool/beach towels.
The bartenders were all very good, especially the bar at the beach. Alcohol is plentiful and the bar service was great. The maid service was average. One morning, the maid left only one towel (for 2 occupants), so we had to call up for another one, which took 40 minutes to arrive. The telephone didn't work- we were unable to dial the front desk or Housekeeping, so we had to dial the hotel operator each time and request to be connected. The room was mostly clean. The shower was large, except it didn't drain well, so the water pooled in the middle of the shower, away from the drain.
I will not return to this hotel we had to deal with a lot of nonsense while we were there to relax.

Room Tip: If you don't want loud party noise (hotel entertainment) from 10-11pm, choose a room away from t...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank skaparna
North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We went for a spring break vacation and the difference w/ this trip was there were alot of younger people at this hotel, many from the UK, loud and drunk. Other than that, this hotel would be great for families. Close to city, 10 min. We took the local bus which is 8.5 pesos, food was ok, kind of boring after 6 days of the same thing though. The beach isnt very large, and faces north, lots of palm trees for those interested in shady spots. Staff were nice, rooms are about a three star. Had to move 3x; first room was on main level near lobby/bar/elevators and way too loud. Second room didnt have air conditioning, third time was the charm.

Room Tip: When travelling with your family,, ask to be put in the family area of hotel...they usually try to s...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Joanna T
Reviewed 19 April 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel , I couldn't have picked a better place to stay the staff couldnt do enough for you , the rooms were always clean , the food and drink was spot on , just by the beech , the clubs were a bus ring away , everyone I spoke to said how nice it was , I'm going back next year . Mike g Essex

Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Mike G
Edmonton
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I went with my boyfriend and his family. We are from Canada, however we met up with family from England as well. There was a total of 11 of us. Each and everyone one of us said that we would return to this resort and that we were very pleased.

The rooms - Are extremely nice and kept clean. The showers The maid service comes everyday, unless you tell them not to. Everything in the room is always fully stocked. The only thing that we all found was that the beds were a bit hard, but definitely nothing to fuss over.

The service - We were extremely fortunate with our services. Because we were such a large group you would think it was hard to accommodate all of us to eat together at the same table, however the staff at Barcelo Costa Cancun did not struggle with that. Everyone was so friendly and always smiling. Constantly serving us drinks and making sure we felt comfortable.

The food - The food was really good. The lunch and dinners had a lot of variety. While we stayed there we have BBQ Night, Japanese Night, Mexican Night, Seafood Night, and a couple others. The restaurants are amazing. We didn't have to wake up extra early to make any reservations. In fact, after our first dinner there, the waiters enjoyed our company so much that they actually approached us by the pool and asked if we wanted to come back that night. No reservations, they just accommodated our large group! The food was very tasty.
The only thing that I think they could of had more variety is the breakfast. It was sort of the same thing all the time which after 10 days can get a little boring.

The Entertainment - This was my favorite part! Every night there was something going on. Starting at 9 and ending at 10. It wasn't too early but it wasn't so late that it kept people from sleeping. We had a Michael Jackson impersonator one night, kereoke one night, circus night, hip-hop dances one night and a few others as well. It was great and got the mood set for the night. We also went on the pirate ship! What an AMAZING TIME. The show was hilarious and very well done. The food was great, you can either get steak or lobster. The whole family had an excellent time!!!!

The Pool/Beach - These areas were always kept clean. Everyday you see someone cleaning up the seaweed and also cleaning the pool constantly. We never had any troubles finding a place in the sun or the shade and towards the end of the holiday, our resort had 100% capacity. There is more than enough chairs and space to relax and suntan. I also read on a couple reviews that the pirate ships block your view from the ocean. This is BY FAR FROM THE TRUTH. They are off to the right hand side and you have a clear view of the sea.

Everyone in our group was so pleased with the outcome of the resort we chose. It's all in your perspective. If you are LOOKING to find things to be upset or disappointed with then that's what you are going to get. If you go there with an open mind and stay positive, then everything will be good around you. I find it quite annoying that people will seriously nit pick at everything and anything and scare people away. I was one of those. I booked my vacation 7 months ago and I would come on here every so often, so afraid of what I was getting myself into once I read some of the reviews. But trust me, its nothing short of amazing. The fact that 11 of us all said we would come back again and spend the money, must mean something!

Go to Barcelo Costa Cancun, you will not be disappointed.

Also, if you are going with a young child. They have a kids club where all the kids go and play and they do fun little games and watch movies and play video games. Also someone comes around each morning to play the guessing came and you can win prizes with their trivia questions. There is also water aerobics every morning in the pool. I could go on and on about this resort, but they seriously always have something going on to keep their guests entertained.

Room Tip: The higher up you are the better view of the water. My room was above the stage which got quite loud...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family