“Brill holiday :)” 5 of 5 bubbles

Occidental Costa Cancun
Ranked #45 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
“Brill holiday :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Ok, first things first, ignore the bad reviews, this is a great hotel! Before going to Mexico I was a bit scared because of all the bad reviews! But I'll start from check in.

As soon as we arrived at Barcelo , the bell boys helped us with our luggage and took us to reception, the reception staff were pleasant and quickly checked us in, gave us our room key and then the bell boy showed us to our room, 536. Yes we only recieved 1 room key, but I seen no problem in this as there was only two of us!

The pool was massive and central to all the rooms in the hotel! Yes it turned clothes green but I think this was mainly due to sun cream & not the hotels fault! Daily entertainment round the pool was good fun but can see why older people would winge or complain about it!

The food, this was a big downfall for me, the food was repetitive and low standard for a 4star hotel, although breakfast was delicious, you could get freshly made omelettes! The 24hour snack bar had lovely hotdogs :)

The beach was nice and quite, yes, you can Only swim a certain length out, but looking at other hotels, they were the same! Yes there was lots of seaweed FURTHER out at sea, but how is this possibly staffs fault? They clean the seaweed as best they can from along the beach so people STOP MOANING!!

Rooms were kept lovely and clean! Our beds were massive as was our shower! Would of preferred a proper balcony as opposed to the one we got, we could only stand on in- but you can get upgraded! Had a pool view, as requested and had no trouble sleeping as entertainment finished early and if we wanted a early night, we could do so without hearing the noise around the pool! We had no problem with people comming in late and noisy and when we came back late , the hotel was all quite each time so don't understand people moaning about noise! Mini bar restocked every day!

All in all me and my boyfriend had a brilliant first holiday and are dying to go back again next year!! Yes there are a few small complaints that i have made but my stay was still perfect! Thank you Barcelo Costa Cancun for making my holiday perfect!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank JessieB91

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Went with Thompson to this hotel as a package deal, all inclusive. There was me and three other girls aged 20 and 21. The dates we went were from the Th of June until the Th of July and i strongly recommend going around this time if your wanting the people in the hotel to be to a similar age. The entertainment staff here are one of the most fun people I have ever met, there's pool and beach games all day, a show at 9 and then the hotel organise a night out every night, so this gave everyone a chance to get to know each other in the hotel. Each day was a different night club, we got there on the Friday and if we wanted to we could have went to the city nightclub. First night out was coco bongo which was the best night I have ever had. such a good place! The food in the hotel is not great but because of the different restaurants on sight (also included in the all inclusive) we somewhat had a different choice. The buffet restaurant had theme nights sometimes. About 4 days into our holiday we all got ill off the food, only because of the sheer greasiness and heaviness of the food but we soon got used to it. The ice they put in your drinks is fine because its made from bottled water so don't worry about that. If your wanting a party holiday, I recommend bringing about 800 pounds worth, only if your planning on going out with the hotel most nights (which is the better option than going out on your own as you get a bus transfer there) The beach is such a nice little beach and has its own beach bar and looks lovely at night.

The reception: never really that helpful to be honest, when we first got there we had builders in one of the rooms and the reception guy asked if we could wait (after a 10 hour flight we wanted a shower) in the end we got our rooms changed. Another problem I had was trying to work the cards you get given for the phones, I asked for help and the reception guy again was not helpful and merely said the machine must be broke, when it was not broke. The only thing I found helpful from the front desk was when I asked for a pen. Some of the staff seemed they don't care and could not be bothered at all. This is the only thing that let it down for me

The room was massive, balcony with a hammock with a pool view. fridge that was restocked everyday, and a coffee machine too! and the air con was great.

I especially want to mention kendo who was one of the entertainment reps. such a fun guy and is great at his job!

The hotel its self is near shops, just across the road and is about a 10 minute bus or taxi journey to Cancun. the bus is only 8 pesos which is only about 30p! Also if your looking to do activities, definitely do the jet ski's and banana boat, which is just on the beach near the hotels beach, also the pirate boat party at night, do that too!

Room Tip: pool views are nice. try not to get a room which is facing the buffet restaurant, get too noisy and...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Kim1104
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

My boyfriend and I went to the Costa Cancun in February to this year. We chose it because the price was good (we were going for two weeks) and the travel agent recommend it.

The bar and wait staff were VERY friendly and eager to help. Can't say the same about the desk staff.

The room was clean, but if you missed the maid EARLY in the morning, it could take the rest of the day for the room to be made up.

As with most other resourts, watch out for the time share guys!

There are vendors on the resourt every night and sometimes during the day.

There is a nightly show on an outdoor stage, but there is no disco. The entertainment director sells packages to the bars on the Cancun strip and they bus you there (includes cover charge and liquor). You're on your own to get back to the resourt though (which they didn't tell us). Fortunately Taxis are cheap and plentiful. Coco Bongo is something to see!

Beach: small but well maintained. If you're looking for waves, avoid this whole area, it's sheltered and there aren't any. There are beach vendors daily, but they are not bothersome.

There are two large pirate boats (dinner theatre) mored right next to the resourt, you will hear them leaving every evening. The dinner theatre was fun, the food was not great.

The water outside of the roped off swimming areas is very busy with boats.

Cons:
They will only give out ONE room key. They will tell you they don't have another to give you right now, NOT TRUE. If you manage to get two cards by the following morning one of them won't work.

There is only one pool, which makes it the activity pool and very loud during the afternoons.
If you room is anywhere near the DJ booth end of the pool even taking an afternoon nap is difficult as the activity director has a microphone turned up WAY too loud and everthing echos off the buildings. Other guests told us they didn't hear anything from their rooms (beach view).

In the evenings there is competing music from the lobby (live singer/sax player) and the DJ booth speaker (right over the lobby bar).

The food is mediocre, even in the a la carte restaurants. There is no A/C in the buffet, get a table outside if you can. The food is very repetative in the buffet, same stuff day after day. Breakfast food shows up again at supper and supper food shows up again at breakfast, makes you wonder.

Drinks were ok, although they were usually out of mint for mojitos.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Egremont, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

After reading so many mixed reviews about this hotel we didn't know what to expect when we got there.

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 1 weeks holiday in early July. The rooms are very nice and clean with everything you need, fridge gets restocked everyday so no need in going to the shop for cans of coke etc. The beds are huge (big enough for 2 to starfish in)! Shower is awesome too only big enough for 1 to starfish though.

The pool is ok but it does turn white/light coloured swimwear green wich I was not happy about! We preferred to go to the beach at the side of the hotel instead that was very handy because it has different water sports that you can participate in as well as there being  lots of sun loungers if you prefer to take in some rays. The bars are really good with all the free drink you want, no cheap vodka ect.  but the food isn't so great. They have 3 different resteraunts that all serve near enough the same thing every day, this isn't too good when your British! They could really do with catering a little more for english people, a snack bar is not enough! All in all this is a really good hotel and staff are very friendly,  the only 2 bad points being the pool turning things green and the food not tasting too good.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Vicky120988
Biddulph, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

My holiday overall was brilliant, this was down to the brilliant weather and amazing trips that we booked when we were out there through the Best Days travel located just inside the hotel. We went on trips a lot and inbetween just relaxed by the pool.

I am not going to slate the hotel because honestly it is an ok hotel, I wouldnt say 4 star maybe only 3. After reading different reviews, and the reviews that say dont listen to the bad comments are just covering the truth, no hotel is perfect, people will fault different things but honestly its not the amazing hotel some people say it to be.

You cant complain about the appearance of the hotel, its fresh and clean generally throughout the hotel. The rooms are nice, clean and have plenty of space for your holiday and bathroom was large along with the shower. The only down side I had to the room was the damp smell it had at times, which we couldnt work out if it was the air conditioning or not. The maid was brilliant, fresh bedding and towels every day and the mini bar was always restocked daily around midday.

Where ever you go in this hotel, be prepared to be woken during 3am-6am by young people shouting and screaming, but honestly cancun is also a big attraction for young people wanting to go clubbing and the hotel does organise bar crawls everynight so be warned!!

Other members of staff varied, some were really helpful, some were average and others were damn sight miserable and rude, but being on our holiday we ignored this as it is there problem to be rude at the end of the day and we were on holiday to have a good time. The pool bar is ok, plastic cups always smelt of sambuca because they dont get washed properly. The staff at the pool side bar are fast but they dont note who comes to the bar in what order and mostly the spanish talking guests just went straight up and asked for there drink and would walk away with it before you, even though you may have been standing there for 5-10 minutes. One day I ordered 2 drinks and as he was doing them I asked him for a water also, the guy got me my 2 drinks and then started to serve somebody else, he then said to me after me standing there for about 3 minutes was it a water you wanted as well...I felt like saying to him so you did hear me then but you just ignored me.
To be honest also the way other guests spoke to the staff compaired to me were darn sight rude, never using manners and just saying there drink and thats it, whereas myself I always said hello and used manners so never understood the staffs attitude.

The food...what a let down. It looked like baby food and just wasnt visually appealing at all which puts you off (this being the buffets), the buffet resturasnt was always red hot so we always requested to sit outside (dont do this at night, you cant see your food and get bugged by mexicans selling 'charlie charlie'). We went for food in the Al a carte la claraboya and had the steak both times, this was cooked to perfection. I would definatly recommend going to this resturant.

The pool...DONT WEAR ANYTHING WHITE IN THE POOL! There are that many chemicals in the pool that after 20 minutes of my fiance being in the pool his shorts had turned bright green and had to do a walk of shame upstairs to get changed...this stain didnt come out and we had to chuck them away, me forgetting about this went in with a black and white bikini on which is also ruined. It is much worse around areas of suncream...my fiance also noticed that on parts of his skin where he was pealing that his skin was green. You will notice midday the sunbeds that lie in the pools have a green slime on the legs (this is after them being taken out at about 6 in the morning and being wiped down and placed back in again, doesnt take long for a good 2-3 inches of the horrible chemicals to reach with things at all).

The pool towels were good, appart from one day I had one that clearly hadnt been washed as it was dirty covered in black marks and smelt horrible.

The hotel is very strick on wearing your all inclusive badge, mine broke and I was literally walking back into the hotel and the security guy couldnt of pounced any faster, they then asked me a million questions and kept checking my face against my passport resords even though I gave them all the information about myself and it was correct, they kept me there for ages.

Beach in lovely, but I was never told how we could go about booking the free non motorised water activities which was disappointing and from what I believed you also had to pay to play table tennis (dont hold me to this though).

The hotel also dont tell you that paid in your holiday price you get a 30 minute free photo shoot with their photographers and also get a free photo print at the end, this is well worth doing as some of the photos looked amazing.

Room Tip: 621 was our room, in this room you got both a sea view and pool view. Anything 621 on wards was arou...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lwat1
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

What a polar opposite experience me and my two girlfriends had compared to the reviews I am seeing below!

We checked-in to the Barcelo on July 4th, checked out yesterday. The staff was extremely friendly and was always eager to help. Just like the rest of Cancun, you feel like you are best friends with these people and they treat you well. Our room was beautiful and our balcony had a hammock that we were able to lounge in anytime of the day overlooking the pool and listening to the music the DJ played. At night, we were able to sit on our balcony and watch the entertainment they provided. They also had merchants set-up tables every night with artwork, jewelry, handbags, hats, etc.

Although the food wasn't stupendous (with the exception of one of the restaurants "Quijote" which was out of this world!) it was definitely worth it to get the all-inclusive package. There was two buffets available for breakfast, a buffet for lunch and dinner you either made a reservation for one of the three restaurants in the resort (Mexican, Spanish and Seafood cuisines) or ate at the buffet which had a different theme every night. Drinks were a little weak but just ask for "doble tequila" and you'll be good to go!

The pool area is beautiful as well as the beach. Martino the aquatic activities guy is great ... please tell him I say hello :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear Customer,
Greetings, thanks for choosing Barceló Costa Cancún It was a pleasure to have you with us,
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,
We hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you happen to visit Cancun in the future.
With best regards,
Marc Giesemann
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

By far the worst hotel I have ever experienced!

The food is so bad it's almost un edible.
The staff on reception are so rude you wouldn't believe it. On numerous occasions I heard the manager of the hotel shouting orders at guests asif they were animals!

On the first night I came back to my room
to find my handbag had been stolen. I can only presume this was by a member of staff as no one else had access to my room. When reporting this to reception they were careless and very unconciderate.

Please do not stay here, you will only regret it!

• Stayed June 2012