“Exceeded our expectations”

Ranked #42 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Chicago
“Exceeded our expectations”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We got a very good 3 nights deal and decided to try a resort in Cancun (before that we only stayed either Playa Del Carmen or Shkaret).
After reading couple of negative reviews, couple of so-so reviews and few good reviews we decided to give it all to faith and never got disappointed. I loved absolutely everything about this hotel - cozy property, restaurants, bars, the fact that I could get coffee and time of the morning ( I'm a "5 o'clock" coffee drinker and lots of all-inclusive places offer coffee only starting 8-9 in the morning)... But what we liked the most is the staff. Really amazing and sincerely friendly people.
I would especially like to mention: Ignacio at the lobby bar, Javier at the buffet, Roman and Cesar at the Mexican Ala-carte restaurant. We really made new friends with all this guys and I would go there again just for a reason to say hi to all of them.
Other than that - food is great, drinks are perfect, service is excellent.
On the down side - gym is a joke, but it's pretty much the same at all the resorts, so we simply took a bus and went to the gym in the city, for 10 bucks per person.
Beach is not that big, but I had no feeling of it being crowded. I don't like the whole idea of limiting of the swiming area, but I had no problem walking a little along the beach and swiming in the open area.

Room Tip: I do value good sleep, so anything away from the pool will work. Also turning the AC on helps killin...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Missouri
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My friend and I spent a week at the Costa Cancun last month.each visit is better than the last, if that is even possible, as we have gotten to know the staff well throughout the years. Our room was perfect, the food was fantastic. Many thanks to the chef Alberto, who prepared wonderful meals and desserts for us, especially our chocolate cakes! Our thanks to Rodrigo, Roman, Ramon, Javier, Jerry, Alberto Lopez, Beto, Angel, Nacho, Seney, Felix, Cesar, Alex and Pepe. Your efforts really make us feel we are at our home away from home. See you soon!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed November 2013. Ocean front room was amazing. Food was great. Staff were so friendly and helpful and hardworking. Angel in the restaurant was so good to us - thank you. Staff always smiled, made you feel good to be around them. Resort was clean, great location next to Marina, watched the pirate ships go in and out. Lots to do, but still able to be quiet and relaxed. Loved that the pool was open to 10. Would go back in a heart beat! Our room was refurnished, just like their website says, everything advertised on their site was received. Stayed at quite a few places all over Mexico, been to Cancun many times, this resort delivered what they advertised and then some! Nobody was in the Spa and I didn`t personnally like the fact that the spa is seperated men side women side, would of been nice to hang out with the hubby, but still was nice to have the gym, sauna, hot tub all included in price. Will definitely go back - thank you Barcelo

2 Thank LonnieandDee
East Anglia
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I'm amazed at the bad comments on this hotel. We stayed there for the first two weeks of November 2013 and the place was great. The weather wasn't very good, but the hotel was probably the best we have ever stayed in, and we 've been round the world a bit.
Everything was excellent and the people were the friendliest we've ever met. The restaurant, housekeeping, bar, security and reception staff made this holiday special. Even in the days of heavy rain, the staff were mopping up the puddles and handing out umbrellas. And the beach bar produced whatever drinks were requested, and I never had any problems or hangovers.
Hopefully, we will be able to return in the near future, and I would recommend this Hotel to friends and family.

Room Tip: We had 623 and the views and facilities were perfect.
3 Thank Cas43
Bedford, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was at Barcelo Costa in November 2013 by myself and had a great time. I saw a recent review complaining that the resort only had one pool but I've been at other resorts with 2 pools and never used the second one, so who cares? The pool has shallow and deep ends, a volleyball net, and a raised platform in the middle with a fountain so you can lay down in the water. There was no swim-up bar but when you think about it a swim-up bar equals spilled drinks in the pool (not to mention people more likely to pee in the pool) so you get a positive with a negative.

The food was great. The three a la carte restaurants were the best. For the buffet restaurant the variety of food was great and the quality was ... above average. Not stupendous but nothing to complain about. My only problem was that when you got up to get seconds when you got back to your table the staff had cleared your plate including your utensils. Since I was travelling alone I couldn't arrange to have one of my party stay at the table to make sure the staff didn't take my fork and knife while I was getting more. I guess attentive and quick-acting wait-staff doesn't sound like that serious a problem.

Unfortunately, my room was on the 2nd floor right about the buffet restaurant/Mexican restaurant kitchen, which meant that for about an hour starting at 11pm you could hear dishes and silverware being washed, which made it hard to get to sleep early if you were going on an excursion the next day and had to get up early. The same noises could also be heard starting at 6am as they were getting ready for breakfast, so sleeping in was not easy. This was probably only a problem with my room (and maybe my neighbors) and not indicative of most rooms there.

The staff were very helpful getting me information about my flight, return to the airport, excursions, and getting around town.

I would highly recommend this resort for anyone travelling to Cancun.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms around 257 which is right over the buffet/Mexican restaurant kitchen. Don't know if...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank hornacek
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Can happen at any hotel. October 2013. Beach bar. Both I and a new American traveller (army) are convinced there was something in our drinks that we did NOT order. Same bar staff, same day. Both experienced hallucinations by 6pm when bar closed. Some of our stuff disappeared at the bar: sandals, beach bag, sunglasses, etc. Woke up in our rooms next morning with little to no memory of leaving the bar. Totally missed the whole night. That has never happened before. Be very cautious especially if bartender offers free shooter which he had but I did not. I had 4 drinks that day; new friend had maybe 6. No tequila, ever. Completely out of the ordinary experience regardless of what people might think of this review. Other guests we met earlier that week commented that they noticed something very odd about our behaviour and extreme staggering. He fell onto the floor in his room knocking over a table which caused breaking glass. It could have been worse. We put it down to the bar staff's idea of fun or outright deliberately trying to disable a guest. Futile to even try to get tested before return. Can't prove it. Be very, very careful at the 3 and 4 star all-inclusives and watch your drink being mixed. Add: poor housekeeping, beach alongside major marina so water was cloudy and had a fuel smell, and under or over cooked food. Owners need to step in before a major incident. Cancun is not what it used to be. Overall decline in service and attitudes.

Room Tip: When checking in, ask the clerk to show you their property diagram so you can see where they plan to...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank justbefair7
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Lovely all inclusive hotel. I stayed in May with 5 friends when we headed down for memorial weekend. Clean rooms and helpful staff. Can't complain at all. It is a short bus ride from the central party zone and local shopping centres/markets.

Basic rooms but comfortable.The hotel was a good mix of ages from young groups of friends to 60+ couples, didn't see many children but that would mainly be down to the time of the year. I would go back again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Miss_B_Says
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Miss_B_Says,

Thank you for choosing Barceló Costa Cancúnduring your trip to Cancun. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service.

We are very happy to know you had an amazing time with us, we would feel very honored to welcome you again so please let us know about your next trip, to make it even better

Warm Regards