“Great, relaxing vacation!”

Ranked #44 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Halifax, Canada
“Great, relaxing vacation!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Barcelo Costa Cancun from May 5-10th, 2014. This trip was our first time staying at an all-inclusive and it was a really good experience. At check-in we had to wait a little while (maybe 45 mins) for our room to be ready (we were given our bracelet however so we were free to roam the resort and grab a drink while we waited) and there was a little miscommunication from the front desk staff about what our meal options were for the day we arrived (the information sheet they gave us stated that the dinner buffet was not open, when in fact it was), but this was the only issue we had in the week we spent here.

Our room had a pool view and was very nice and clean. The bathroom was spacious and had a large walk-in shower and also had lots of counter space. The air conditioner was working when we arrived, however on the second day we were there it stopped working- we didn't mention it to anyone and it was fixed after housekeeping left the next day. Mini fridge was restocked daily and our balcony was huge and great for spending time on in the evenings. We tried all dinner options with the exception of the a-la-carte seafood option and all were fantastic. The buffet had a wide variety of food for all meals and we were impressed with the quality of the food as we had read some negative reviews. We also tried the 24 hour snack bar which wasn't as great- but okay if you've missed lunch and need a quick bite to eat. Both the Mexican and Italian restaurants were fantastic- delicious food and excellent service.

We spent most of our time on the resort during the day in the pool (Sandra Cruz made sure we were never without a drink- she even remembered our drink preference- and was super friendly and is just a sweetheart) or on the beach. The beach wasn't super impressive- if you want to see a beautiful local beach visit Playa Delfines- roughly a 35 min bus ride from the resort (local transit costs $1 US and buses run frequently). We opted not to do any tours on this trip, but if interested there is a tour company rep (can't remember which company) in the lobby who can help you find a package that works for you. There was plenty to keep us busy off the resort in the hotel zone- we visited the aquarium at La Isla Shopping Mall, took a couple of trips to Plaza La Fiesta for keepsakes and gifts (tons to choose from and very fair prices) and visited the El Rey ruins.

We're not big on partying so I can't comment on local night life, but most nights there was live entertainment at the resort. While loud (we personally didn't find it to be terribly disruptive) it did not last for more than a few hours per night. There were also local vendors selling jewellery (silver), personalized bracelets and clothing every evening by the pool.

Overall, it was a great experience for us- the resort and staff were great and we also enjoyed our time off the resort. We would return to Cancun and would recommend this resort to others!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Customer
Thank you for choosing Barceló during your trip to Cancun. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service.
It would be a pleasure to have you on a longer break soon.

With best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Ireland
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Having visited cancun and stayed at the Barcelo Costa Cancun,I can honestly say the trip was very pleasant. The room was big with a huge bed to relax in. There was always something going on around the hotel with Kenia and Ivan making sure people were up and active. Special shoutout to Erick Rosendo who was a pleasure to meet during the holiday. He worked as one of the entertainment team and did his best to get to know everyone from couples, families and groups of young party goers! He was always polite and mannerly and made an effort to get to know you. The holiday was very relaxing with a choice of the pool or beach to lounge at. The waitresses especially Laura and Sandra Cruz were always there to make sure our glasses were full. In the lobby bar, Daniel and Bernardo were absolutely fantastic. They were great fun and made you feel relaxed and at ease! Filemon,another member of staff, was brilliant at the lobby and beach bar. He was always smiling and made the holiday for us with his friendliness.The buffet and 24 hour snack bar were fine for a quick snack and we preferred to eat in the Spanish restaurant for dinner most evenings. After two weeks eating in the same hotel, it can become a bit much anyways!:)
Overall, the hotel was great for what we needed and our budget. The staff mentioned above made the holiday for us and helped us relaxed every minute we were there!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Orlaith C
Dear Customer,
Greetings, thanks for choosing Barceló It was a pleasure to have you with us,
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,
We hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you happen to visit Cancun in the future

With best regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel during early August 2014 for 4 nights.

I didn't plan on spending the time writing reviews but if it helps you to go for it or stay away, then thank me later.

Location: The furthest north of the hotel zone. It matters to me because I actually go out and do stuff not stay at the hotel for the whole day doing nothing. If you plan on going to downtown cancun often then it's a good choice, otherwise stay elsewhere that are more south on the Kukulcan Blvd.

Facilities: There is a pool in the center of the resort and it is very average. Ping pong tables and International chess are on the side. Pool table, air hockey table, and a few old school arcade games are in the snack bar, all $$. Spa ($$) and gym are on the other side of the hotel. Average to poor facilities. Beach is small and sand is dirty. I just went there to take pictures of the sea. If you are a pool & beach person, this place is definitely not for you.

Food & Drinks: I heard so many people complaining about the food. I don't know others' standards, but I have very high tolerance of poor quality food. The buffet's breakfast and lunch have identical every day where you would find mostly American food (salty meat, hot dogs, burgers, fries , nuggets etc etc). It's a fine place if you can tolerate eating the same type of food every day without A/C in the restaurant. (If I am eating hot food, doesn't matter how close to the windy sea I am, I need A/C). The three al la carte places(seafood, spanish, and mexican) have better food and I tried them all. Drinks are fine at the lobby and beach bars. I wouldn't recommend drinking the smoothies at the buffet because they aren't refrigerated by a machine.

The hotel lies about the 24 hour snack bar because it isn't really 24 hours. Always book the latest time (10PM). One day I had a tour that picked me up at 6AM and when I arrived at the snack bar at 5:50AM, the staffs informed me that the food won't start serving until 6AM. As a result, I couldn't grab something to eat before my tour bus came to pick me up. Same food as the buffet (burgers, fries, hot dogs, nuggets). If you can tolerate eating these things, go for it.

Room: The high ceiling is great, the drinks in the mini fridge are great. The bathroom has poor design where the door is blocking the path between the toilet and the shower stand. First 2 nights A/C was OK until the 3rd night A/C became a heater so I needed to call someone to get it fixed. If you are someone who only use the room for sleeping and resting, then it's a fine place. Otherwise, if you plan on spending time in the room, bad bad option.

Service: Not sure why many people complained about the staffs being rude, I am Asian and couldn't speak a word of Spanish and did just fine. Staffs and bartenders were all very friendly and helpful.

WIFI: $6 USD per day. People can stop complaining about "not having free WIFI" because those that have "free" charge you upfront in your package. Reception is fine and trust me, if you need to use the internet, you wouldn't care much.

Hygiene: see photos for details. Again, if you have OCD on clean things, walk away from this place. I personally feel fine.

Conclusion: I consider myself to have very high tolerance on bad things. If you plan on getting an all-inclusive package and spend time inside the resort, this place isn't for you. Else, if you can tolerate the things that I mentioned above, this place does have a good price and can save you a few bucks.

Room Tip: 1) If you don't like the noise at the pool and from the pirate ship, pick rooms that are closest...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Edisoncchen
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to record your feedback here on Tripadvisor. I appreciate the time and consideration for other travelers you have taken in sharing your opinions on the areas of the hotel that you enjoyed and those areas of which you feel that we could use improvement.

We are very sorry that we dont meet your expectations.
I hope you give us the oportunity to host you again in the near future

kind regards’
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed there 05/11/14 To 05/17/14 as a solo guest. The staff were always friendly and helpful. I'm a picky eater, ,but I loved the buffet. My room was awesome I felt like a princess.I have one complaint I went to the gift shop to get suntan oil and to cokes and it cost 32.00 American dollars and the lady was not very helpful.Here at home that would have cost 10.00.I took the bus one day and that was awful the driver took me somewhere like a neighborhood and left me alone and finally came back I kept showing him my Barcelo bag I made back.( That was real scary.But I'm coming back next may 9th I already have trip booked with Delta :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest
I would like to thank you for choosing Barceló as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions of the property and services.

We are happy that we have exceeded your expectations and you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Our goal remains that of serving all of our guests to the best of our ability, to ensure that we are creating unforgettable experiences.

Big Spring, Texas
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We just returned from our trip to Cancun with the Barcelo Costa. First, know that we travel quite a bit and have experienced many other resorts and destinations.."not our first rodeo", but it is our last at this resort. In summary, the AC did not work in my room and we were moved to (3) different rooms before we found and AC that works. The customer service is very poor, the beach is terrible, bad location, the food is terrible, and the pool ruined all of our new swimwear by turning and staining them green. We were hit with timeshare sales as soon as we arrived at the resort. We just wanted to relax and get in the pool and had to wait 45 minutes at check in because they forced us to visit with a timeshare salesperson who was disguised as an employee of the hotel. We has such high hopes based on what we found online and we were so disappointed. I could write a book about the poor experience but I will not bore you. I would recommend you stay at another location with better beached and closer to the mall area. Stay away from this resort.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, make sure the AC works and stay away from the North end of Hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Robert E
ASIST DIR BARCE... C, asist at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Robert E,
First of all, we thank you for the time you took to leave your review.
We are concerned to read about the issues you had during your stay and that you did not enjoy your experience at the hotel. We do receive so many positive comments on our services that it is disappointing to hear that we have let ourselves down on this occasion. I have conveyed your complaints to all the departments’ heads in order to improve the service provided. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.
We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience in detail if you choose, please feel free to contact me at costacancun.asist-dir@ barcelo.com.
Kind regards,
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Overall this holiday was brilliant, the hotel is really nice and the service is absolutely brilliant. The food was a good standard, even the buffet restaurant was good and the food was fresh!

If I had to give some feedback it would be the 24hr bar isn't the greatest. After hours the only bar is upstairs where there is a staff member manning the spirits left on the side to help yourself too. As this room is literally next door to hotel rooms you can hardly say a word without being told your too loud by staff / security!

Apart from the above I was very happy with the hotel, I reiterate how good the service is. When we arrived we had booked 3 rooms with 2 lads in each room. The rooms had a king size bed but we requested another bed in each room so each person could have their own bed. This was done with no questions asked and importantly no charge!

The barmen and waiters / waitresses were again extremely good. Never had an empty glass all holiday as it was refilled or replaced as soon as you were close to finishing your drink.

What made my holiday experience at the Barcelo costa cancun change from good to very good was simply the staff. RAUL and RUBEN who were working on the beach bar were excellent. They were very friendly, welcoming and made sure you enjoyed yourself; nothing was to much effort for them. Due to this i didn't mind staying in the hotel on the evening rather than going out as we were guaranteed a good laugh and joke with RAUL and RUBEN.

Finally when we did decide to leave the hotel on the evening for a night out, we did the nights out that the hotel staff run. KENIA was very good in making sure we chose what nights out would suit us. When we were out she was always around encase we needed anything and made sure we were having a good time.

I will be returning again at some point As I enjoyed it so much, as long as this hotel has staff like RAUL and RUBEN then I will always think about returning!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank craig k
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, 11 August 2014

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

just left today after a two week stay here, the staff are brilliant from the cleaners to the servers they are all very friendly, i have to give a special mention to sandra cruz and little laura pat who kept us hydrated for the whole holiday tirelessly, i would recommend this place and look forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: our room had a small balcony, there are plenty of big ones if you ask when booking it may improve yo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple