“Disappointed in this resort!”

Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #54 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
west virginia
“Disappointed in this resort!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

My husband and I have just returned from our trip at Golden Parnassus in Cancun Mexico having vacationed there from Jan. 13-20. First the good things. The employees there are very efficient and friendly. Among our favorites were Jesus, Dieago,Pascall in the buffet, Marina and Monica at the pool and beach serving drinks, and Saul who took care of our room every day and did an outstanding job. This resort is only 15 min. from the airport and that is something we like. Upon arrival we were greeted with a cold drink and met with Eric so he could explain how you can also go to the Great Parnassus, then he started talking about a vacation club(another pharse for time share). Told him we were not interested, we just wanted to relax and enjoy the sun. Our room was not ready, so we got our bracelets put on and went and changed into swim wear, then had lunch. We checked back around 1:30 and were told our room was ready. When we got to our room it was two double beds instead of a king size bed. When we ask to be moved, they said no king size beds were available. We didn,t know there would be no refrigerator in the room, since this was the first all inclusive resort we ever stayed at that didn,t have one. When I ask where the ice machine was, I was told on the 2-4-6 floors, and we were on the 3rd floor. I went to the ice machine on the second floor to get ice, and there was no scoop, people were reaching in with their hands and grabbing ice. I went to the front desk to complain about this, and they said it would be taken care of right away. I checked every day, and no scoop. On our next to last day, they put a big metal bowl in there to scoop up ice. Needless to say we didn,t use the ice from the ice machine, but instead got it from the bar. I know they probably got it from the same ice machine. When I called the front desk to have soda brought to the room, they said there would be a charge for it. I ask why, since it was an all inclusive, and they told me it was their policy. This also was the first resort that didn,t have a blackout curtain on the sliding glass doors to block out the sunlight in the morning. They had some cheap dark woven drape instead. The food was okay, nothing to brag about, and they never had top shelf liquor. I feel that for what we paid for this trip, we could have gone to a better resort. We have been to at least 18 other resorts in Mexico, and I would never give this resort a five red apple rating. When asked if we would recommend this resort to others, I said no way. The beach there was very nice, the pool was cold and small, and they only had one pool Would I go back there, never.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor, and there was a lot of noise from the lobby,so try to stay on the 4-5-6...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank beachbunny48

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,108)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bowie, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

Just returned from the Gold Parnassus Apple Vacation last night. Great place! If you want "adult" this is it! Had a ball -- but ....

1. Upon arrival the hotel staff immediately informed us that they did not have a room available but they would "upgrade" us to "VIP" accomodations at the sister resort Grand Parnassus. We agreed to take a look at it, but first I had to sign something which later I realize it was for the "VIP" program -time share (vacation points or something). We were also told that we would be upgraded to a "suite" with a pull-out couch and two beds and ocean view and could take the shuttle free back and forth to enjoy both facilities.

The room we viewed did not have a couch, was not a suite in my opinion and was not an upgrade from the hotel we were at. (Actually, we liked the room better at the Golden P). We also asked if the hotel had a lot of children because we paid for and wanted adult accomodations. We were assured that there were not many kids and that the Grand had an adult pool on the property Wrong, the place is a zoo with kids -- screaming, running etc. Great for families. We requested to return to the Golden hotel.

We also met and discuss this situation with many other vacationers and all stated that the hotel tried to move them to other property.

Room Tip: If you can not get the ocean view or front the lagoon view is very nice.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank LesTraveler1953
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

My third trip to this hotel and not disappointed! This is an adults only (over 18) and the size is perfect. When I am in another country I do not expect all meals to be what I have at home, that isn't what I look for, so I was pleased at the selections available to me. Being there 13 days gave me plenty of opportunity to try them all numerous times, as well as the Manhattan @ the Great (which you can get to by shuttle). If you want a quiet time, leave the Golden around 5 eat and come back, because when you are finished most likely the kiddos will be coming out to eat with their folks.

I was never nagged about any time shares. If I had why argue, JUST SAY NO! and DON'[T GO!

I ended up in the same 5th floor room I had been in before and found it very comfortable and the housekeeping staff wonderful. I enjoy watching the sunset at night from the balcony looking out at the lagoon as I am an early riser and get my morning cappuccino in the lobby and take it to the pool or beach and watch the sunrise and the cruise ships going across to Cozumel. My complaint on the room would be no bureau really, but I can live out of a suitcase as long as I have a good bed, large bathroom and I am comfortable and feel safe. And that is how I felt. Even with 3 of us in one room, we had no problems.

The wait staff, bar staff and bar girls are simply amazing. They never seem to forget who you are, where you like to sit, eat or drink. I don't think I could remember based on the number of people coming in and out. On a scale of 1-10 I would give the food a 8+. You can't please all of the people all of the time, and if you want a hotel with gold stars and a lower price good luck. I feel that Apple Vacations promotes this hotel exactly as it is.

I do not look for a party hotel, if I wanted that I would go someplace that offers it. I want to do nothing but relax and that is what I do, after all this was my 19th trip to Cancun. So pretty much done all the sites, walked the strip numerous times, eaten out side at the restaurant on the strip, shopped the strip and done the flea market beside going to the Mercados. If you want to go clubbing they are available as they contract (in some way) with all the hotels and are usually hanging around handing out flyers on it. It is just their job.

I have been to quite a few hotels in Cancun and the Mayan Riviera and even though I love the MR I do not like the amount of walking around to get from one place to another at the larger resorts. And having at times to take shuttles all over the resorts.

The only draw back to this trip were 2 guest that we found out go there about 3-4 times a year. Rude, crude, ignorant, just about naked, overbearing, and very out of synch with everyone else there. They monopolized the pool bar and bar staff and acted like they owned the place. Even ignoring them and their actions was difficult. A great deal of complaining about them and their actions, which carried over into the different restaurants as well. Do not believe they have any class at all. If got very old and tired, and I will say they were very mature adults who act very badly. Go to Temptations and be jerks!

I had 2 great trips to the Spa which all I can say were wonderful. Two 1 1/2 hour massages that I was completely pleased with. There was a 2 for 1 special so I took that deal! Just walking in the door to the spa will relax you with the herbs and oils that you can smell. Very professional.

The winds were extremely high when we were there this time, so only had umbrellas a few days. But plenty of areas to get shade if you needed it, as well as hammocks and palapas on the beach.

Would I go back? YES And hope that the friends that I continue to meet there (year after year) go again as well. It is like old home day when we see each other.

There was an incident while we were there, but caused by the guest, who evidently climbed out on his balcony to the roof of one of the restaurants and then flew off the roof. Everything was handled and taken care of quickly. It was not the hotels fault but the guests. It is just a sad affair all around.

On a better note, I did my second wedding in Cancun, when 2 of the guests were unable to get things done there in a timely fashion.

So looking forward to returning next January for trip #4!

Room Tip: Depends on weather you like sunrise or sunset! 5th floor works fine for me facing the lagoon and loo...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ms. Marty H
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

First, the hotel was extremely clean and the staff was excellent. The food was average. It is a great place for a 3-night stay just to relax at the pool or on the beach and read. The clientele seemed to be, for the most part, 45 and up. The decor definitely needs to be updated...their club is even called "Sixties" and has cardboard cutouts of the Three Stooges, Elvis, Marilyn, etc.
You could get premium brands of liquor only if you asked and tipped extra for it. There was no liquor or refrigerator in the rooms as some all-inclusives have. The steak at the Old Barn was good and the fish at the seafood restaurant was also nice.

Room Tip: We booked deluxe ocean view room. It was on the second floor; so there was a lot of noise from the...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dianawales
Alliance, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Three more weeks until we return to the Golden Parnassus! This is our third consecutive year to the Golden! I'm not even a big fan of the beach. I would return to this resort every year until I run out of money or die! My wife and I are 40 and LOVE this place.
As you have read many reviews of this resort.....Some LOVE it some HATE it! I cannot believe anyone could dislike this place. I know people have differenct tastes.....but this place is AWESOME for the $$$. The beach is uncomparable to other areas....it is VERY nice!
As you have read, the staff is amazing, ready to help you anyway they can.
Although this is an ALL INCLUSIVE resort, I tip probalby about $40-$50 over 5-6 days.
I've seen complaints over "cheap" liquor. Ask for the good stuff, they have it!
We have stayed on the lagoon side and ocean side....We like the lagoon side a bit better...and it's cheaper! We like the upper levels and on the end of the hallway.
TIKI bar is the bomb in the evening... The dolphin bar is enjoyable on the beach in the daytime.
Volleyball in the pool is fun...We are not into "beer Pong" in the pool though, we may be a bit "too old" :-) for that! Hope to see you there! Keep Calm and Chive On!

Room Tip: Upper level, end of hall, lagoon side!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Erbyderby
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

Travelled to Mexico in September 2011 with my partner, we both loved it!
Upon arrival we were handed a (much needed!) ice cocktail in the lobby whilst our baggage was taken to our room. We were explained everything about the hotels (Great Parnassus), restaurants, local attractions etc.
Room was OK, nothing special but still, not a whole lot wrong! Bathroom was nice, big shower, can't fault it!
Restaurants we're pretty good, due to the time of year we went (Pretty much out of season) there was only 1 or 2 open per night. Which was good enough. We hopped on the free shuttle bus to the sister hotel a few times to eat over there, again no complaints! We read a lot on here about a dress code at a few of the restaurants but we never had any issues turning up in smart/casual.
Room service and the 24hr food place was brill! We used the room service a few times in the early hours when we came back from the clubs.
I must also say, whatever age you are, the clubs in Cancun are bloody brilliant!
Plenty of stuff to do in Cancun too, trips that are easily booked via the reps in the hotel.

Room Tip: We got speaking to another couple in the sister hotel, they said they complained as soon as they arr...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matthew R
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

My husband and I spent 7 nights at the G.P. over Christmas this year and loved it. We are in our late 30s and were looking for an adults only environment that was casual and relaxing (and not full of children running wild); not a crazy party resort. The G.P. fit the bill perfectly. The guests are friendly and you have many options available to you from nightclub excursions, to hanging out at the resort bars, to quiet evenings on your balcony depending on what type of vacation you like to take. Guests set their own pace and do their own thing-we wanted to place to relax and unwind but talked to others who did the nightclub circuit every evening so it seems there is something for everyone. The most beautiful beach we have ever seen! As many other reviewers have mentioned, we were a bit nervous about the mixed reviews. We booked a lagoon view Club Room and it was excellent. Being on the 6th floor was ideal as we did not hear any of the noise from the open concept lobby that guests on lower floors found unsettling. We are late-risers so enjoyed being able to watch the sunset over the lagoon each evening before going out to dinner (we would not have been awake early enough to enjoy the sunrise from an ocean view room each day!)The entire resort is incredibly clean and housekeeping of rooms was no exception. Loved that housekeepers are available throughout the day to make up rooms; you don't miss out on housekeeping if you sleep in. The staff is FANTASTIC! So friendly and attentive-the best we have ever experienced. We tipped small amounts to bartenders/servers/housekeepers each day and it was appreciated but not expected. Alejandro, our Sunwing Rep, was very knowledgeable and helpful with booking off site expeditions. The only downside was that he was only available at our resort during quite limited hours as he covers multiple resorts. One of the significant benefits of the GP is the filtered water. Brushing your teeth, eating fresh fruits and veggies, ice in drinks-no problems at all. The spa exceeded my expectations. I was hesitant because services were the same price I would pay in Toronto at an upscale spa (I had the Mayan Chocolate Body Wrap and the Hydrating Facial) but it was worth the $. The spa is lovely, relaxing, clean and not a rushed experience. My favourite part of each day was having brunch in the Paradise Buffet. The servers make a point of learning your preferences (including how you take your coffee) during the first couple of days of your stay and ensure great customer service for the duration of your vacation. The breakfast and lunch choices are high quality for a buffet and freshly made throughout the meal times. The buffet restaurant offers the most beautiful ocean view I have ever seen and I felt completely relaxed as each day started with sipping orange juice and taking in the amazing ocean panorama. My husband and I have recommended the GP to friends and co-workers and will continue to do so. It's relatively small size and laid back vibe make it very appealing; it is very friendly compared to a mega-resort and all amenities (including your room) are just a short walk from any spot on the resort. We will definitely return for another visit. One bit of feedback to the management: we have only high praise for every employee we encountered with the exception of front desk staff. The gentleman who checked us in at 1am due to a late arriving flight was super, but the two female front desk staff working the daytime shifts during the other days of our stay were terrible. They were unfriendly and unhelpful. It's a shame to have the first set of staff a visitor encounters be providers of sub-par customer service as that first impression is not in line with the excellent service provided by so many other front line staff.

Room Tip: Rooms on 5th and 6th floor are much quieter than on lower levels; especially rooms at the end of the...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple