Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #51 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
“Best Vacation”
Reviewed 13 April 2004

My husband and I were in love with the resort from the minute we arrived. We stayed at the resort from April 3-7. When we got there we were greeted with drinks while checking in. After checking out our room(which wasn't a ocean view) we went to the front desk and for 30.00 a night upgraded to the Club room with an ocean view. Totally worth the money. The food was great, especially since I didn't have to cook, the view was the most beautiful I had ever seen, the people were so very friendly(especially Lilli). Tipping wasn't expected at all. We tipped a lot because the service was wonderful. I left with 50.00 usd in dollar bills and came home with about 11 left. I never felt unsafe. We locked up all our valuables in the safe in the room, so we didn't have to worry. We are making plans to go back every year. Why try anywhere else. I was completely satisfied!!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,151)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 11 April 2004

We visited the Golden Crown from April 5-9, 2004. I must say I was a little disappointed. I had read all of the reviews before I left and figured people with negative reviews were just picky. The restaurants are okay and the food is average - but unless you tip at least $2.00 per meal, we found that the staff was cold to you the next time you came in. We sometimes went to lunch right from the beach and didn't have money on us and the next time we went in that restaurant, we didn't even get offered a beverage from the waiters- we had to get it ourselves. The bartenders were the same - unless you were tipping on a regular basis, you would wait until they waited on the whole bar before they got to you... and there was no friendly chatter. My biggest concern was the security. We had hotel staff entering our room at all hours of the day and night. If you didn't have your bolt and latch on, people were walking into your room up until 10 pm. This makes me wonder why they were coming in. We are not partiers, so we were often in our room by 9 pm. One evening we had someone trying to enter our room at 1 am. Another time, we had someone knocking on our door at 11 pm, they were gone by the time I got to the door (we had been sleeping). Another time, we walked down to the bar to get a drink and when we came back (around 9 pm) it was evident someone had been in our room, as the sheers and drapes were pulled closed (which we had never done). One night, a maid knocked on our door at 9:45 pm to ask if we needed towels - she looked surprised when I opened the door. The maids would come and take the tips right after we left the room (9 am)and they wouldn't clean the room until up to 3 pm. We were in and out of the room all day, because we were mainly on the beach. We were never able to take an afternoon nap, because the maids weren't done - and/or would be coming back in to bring coffee or toilet paper or towels or some other thing.
So much for rest and relaxation! The worst part of our trip was the food poisoning I acquired on my last day. I was up all night long with vomiting and diarrhea, even fainting at one point. Upon checking out in the morning, when I told the front desk girl that I was sick and thought it was food poisoning, she said it probably was food poisoning and she would let the management know! (I am still sick 3 days later and will go to the doctor tomorrow if not better) The resort is beautiful (although moldy smelling in the elevators and rooms) and the beach is gorgeous. The view is fabulous. Another thing that surprised us is all of the topless sunbathers at our resort. We appeared to be the only ones on the beach strip with topless sunbathers. A little uncomfortable for us Americans to get used to! If we were to return to Cancun, we would definitely be looking for a different resort.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 April 2004

We stayed at the Golden Crown March 31-April 5th. All I can say is we can't wait to go back. I loved that is was a smaller hotel, more personable. The wait staff was fabulouse, very attentive. Alfonso is the best bartender I have ever seen. He remembers everyone's name. The beds are a bit hard, but you are so tired it doesn't matter. Our room was spotless everyday, with fresh flowers, and little notes and treats from our maid. The shows and entertainment are nightly, they are pretty good. I honestly dont' know how Ava keeps going, she directs all the activities during the day, participates in the shows at night, and parties with you in the clubs later in the night. They are awesome. We didn't do many tours because we met so many nice people and didn't want to leave the resort. It was wonderful, I'm already planning a return trip with some friends. Overall, the food was good, small portions, but you can order more. The drinks were good, they don't skimp. The beach Beautiful.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 April 2004

Before I booked this trip I sat and read (at the time) all 118 reviews written regarding GCPResort and Spa. All the good things listed were totally true and the only thing that is kind of a surprise is your rock hard mattress which really wasn't that big of a deal. The entire staff (with the exception of maybe one or two girls at the front desk - who just need to learn to smile being they are the resorts first impression) are super! I mean everyone, down to the guy that polishes the floor! Everyone is so extremely helpful and nice and somehow they remember your face and your name! It's a smaller resort and very personalized. We had four in our group one celebrating a birthday and the other couple celebrating an anniversary and the staff bent over backwards to make it special and help us celebrate with cakes and even a special entree one night. Some of the names that left the biggest impressions were the activities group (Carlos, Alfredo, Maurisio, Eva) who keep it happening all day long at the pool and beach and then all night long at the evening show and out to the clubs. What a phenominal group of people! Then Jose, Alfonso and LiLi who kept the drinks coming from 10am to 2am if you wanted! Also, remembering your name and the drink you like. We used the work out room and the spa (the one and only treadmill could use some TLC) both very nice. The spa was priced very well. We ate in all four of the restaurants and the snack bar and all were great. We didn't have any complaints on the food at all. I'm still trying to figure out what the complaints are from. It's not Wolfgang Puck Gourmet or anything but it's always good and presented well. What a beautiful beach and gorgeous blue water. It's a perfect spot and you can take the bus for .60 cents anywhere you want. The airport is about 25 minutes by cab or van and downtown cancun where the market is, is about a 25 minute bus ride. The trip to and from the airport is $40 each way and I would recommend not taking a cab anywhere unless you negotiate the price first (rip off). I would also urge you to collect your luggage yourself at the airport and head straight for the exit doors to the cab area passing even the nice legitamet looking airport workers. Buy nothing on your way out except maybe your cab or van ride (everyone is a time share representative on the side so they will try to sell you a dolphin tour along with trying to tackle you on a time share). Purchase any tours at your hotel so you don't get ripped off. I would recommend taking cash and not using your charge card or ATM; again because even the most honest looking will rip you off. Lock anything of value in your room safe and take the key with you which I would keep on you at all times. This is one of the only resorts/hotels that is not pushing time shares. You don't have to worry about that here. The rooms are good sized and clean, bathroom size is good (two people can get ready at the same time). We stayed on the 5th floor - great view w/ balcony. 6th floor has no balcony but jaccuzi tub. Even # rms are facing ocean, odd # rooms street/lagoon. Tipping is not required nor expected and is probably frowned upon by management but is well worth the money to reward these people for their awesome service.(tip at the beginning of your trip to ensure great service which isn't needed believe me, but it definately seals the deal) They love American money. I can't think of one time I actually had to have pesos for anything but we did have $100.00 dollars changed into pesos before we left home. Don't forget to pay attention to the exchange rate. Email me if you have any questions about anything, I would love to answer them for you if I can! Hope this helps! Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2004
5 Thank KF
Birmingham, England
Reviewed 2 April 2004

We stayed at the Golden Crown from the 16th to 30 March 2004, and we have nothing but praise for the Hotel and Staff.Although the hotel is not as glitzy as some 5 star hotel it did belong on a mexican beach unlike the two hotels either side of it which would be more suited to 5th avenue.The food and service in all restuarants was very good especially the Shangri La, if you get a window seat though in the Shangri La take an overcoat with you they are freezing.More could be made of the Beer Garden bar.We enjoyed the quiet atmosphere of the Golden Crown unlike the bedlam at the sister hotel, allthough the restuarants at the sister hotel were excellent.All in all first class can be recomended, by the way we had a lagoon view room which we thought better than the sea view.We got the afternoon sun and great sunsets.

1 Thank Nick-John
Willard, OH
Reviewed 31 March 2004

Stayed at the Golden Crown from March 23 through March 30. Our group enjoyed the resort very much. Negatives: 1) The walk to the public bus station was a little too far. Most resorts are right on the main road, whereas this one sits back a ways. A little bit of a pain to walk that far for a bus. 2) Peso exchange at the front desk isn't that great.
Sometimes they don't have enough to exchange, and they aren't very consistent in what they give you (do the multiplication yourself and make sure they exchange at their posted rate.) 3) Food at the Old Barn wasn't much to brag about. Do not expect an American style steak there.
All cuts look about the same. The filet mignon wouldn't pass at a Ponderosa. 4) Security isn't the greatest. Don't ever leave your safe key in your room in eyesight. Preferably, take it with you or hide it very well. The place does have thieves. Also, deadbolt your room at night. It is a little unsettling to hear your door trying to be opened at 2 a.m. 5) Elevators aren't the greatest. The doors will practically shut on you if you aren't paying attention. Positives: 1) Great location beach wise. The place has a very large and nice beach. 2) Great service. Bartenders and waiters are very attentive, friendly and fast. 3) Beautful views if you are lucky enough to get an oceanview room (ask for even numbered rooms, and put yourself on the waiting list if none are immediately available.) 4) Nice giftshop with most everything you might need. 5) Pretty good food. Lots of selections and decent tasting--nothing grossed any of our group out. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the Golden Crown. There are a few negatives, but the positives way outweigh the bad points. I have been to Cancun many times, and I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

1 Thank njb2640
Reviewed 30 March 2004

My boyfriend and I just arived home from a long weekend getaway to the Golden Crown. We were very pleasantly surprised by the attentiveness of the staff as well as the quality of the food. I would suggest avoiding the Old Barn Restaurant, my steak was tough, potato cold and quite honestly.......no one can make a good steak like the USA. All in all our experience was well above average and we are planning our '05 Spring Break at the Golden Crown!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort
Grand Oasis Palm
Grand Oasis Palm
#49 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun? Share your experiences!