“We love the Golden Crown!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun

Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #53 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
A TripAdvisor Member
“We love the Golden Crown!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2004

Wow! This was our very first Caribbean vacation, and it was all we hoped it would be! Upon arrival at the Golden Crown, we were seated, and given a cool, non alcholic drink, while we were introuduced to all that was offered at the resort. We were given a room on the lagoon side and told that we could move to an ocean view the following morning.We then met with a representative from a travel agency that worked along with the one we booked through. Victor from Lamos travel was so very nice, informative and helpful! He was at his post every day until 7 pm and answered any question we had and offered his own advice as well.
After meeting with Victor, we walked up to our room and it did have a bit of musty odor as I had read previously on this board. The mustiness that was mentioned in the elevator, I did not find to be true. Our oceanview room didn't smell musty at all either, maybe it has something to do with the lagoon? The beds...yes, firm! Oh well! The place is ALWAYS being cleaned! The people that work at this resort treat everyone like royalty! And yes, it's true, they remember your name! We enjoyed all the food we ate, and we ate alot! If there is something you don't like, try something else! The drinks were fine for us, in fact I had to start telling Alfonso to "be gentle with me!". There are bloody mary's and mimosa's each morning and anything you can think of through out the day for drinks! There is food available 24 hours a day. I love my children, they are grown now, so it was nice to go on vacation and not hear screaming kids! We really enjoyed EVERYTHING, I've got no complaints (our plane got cancelled the first day that we were to arrive, and our luggage didn't come home yet, but neither of these things are the fault of anyone at the Golden Crown). We'd like to thank everyone of the employees, but the ones who stand out are our cleaning woman Rosa (never got to meet her, but she left towels shaped into animal forms, and flowers on our bed!), Alfonso, Jose, Orviline (bartenders) Christina,(beach bar waitress) Alberto( the cutie from the Old Barn) and the jewelry store girl named Edith!I feel like i must've missed something or someone..but I am still excited..we just got home from spending 6 nights and we're already searching the net for deals so that we can return!

• Stayed April 2004
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,095)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2004

What a fantastic holiday! This was my first time at an all-inclusive, no one under 18 hotel! I will definitley do it again, it was very nice to have the pool free of children...plenty of room to do laps and enjoy a drink in peace. The food at all of the restaurants was exceptional, the steaks at the Old Barn cooked to perfection, Shangri La, exquisite beyond belief! Jose and Lili were great, always remembered your name and made great drinks....thanks for the cd, Jose! The rooms were very clean, Naomi added a special touch of red hibiscus each day, very nice creations with the towels! Way to go Naomi! The Golden Crown Paradise Spa is rated number one in my book...the very best food, staff, pool, tours...Oh, the Morning Glory tour to Puerto Morelos was a fantastic snorkeling adventure, when you vist Cancun, you must do this, but remember, no sunscreen is to be worn in the water, it kills the coral on the reefs (you can wear a certain type, they sell it there, cheap, made from advocados or coconuts)! A big shout out to Pablo and Carlos on the boat Claudina, you made the snorkeling trip memorable, thanks for everything, especially letting me feed the fish, hold the queen conch and the HUGE starfish! You guys are the best! I already miss all of the wonderful people I met, Lili, thanks for all the drinks by the pool, you really made my holiday! Hola!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
somerset ma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2004

Trip report – Golden Crown Paradise Resort & SpaWe arrived at the airport in time Saturday 4-10. What a nightmare. The lines were completely ridiculous and circled like a queue for a ride at Disneyland but worse. We waited over 2 hours just to get to the passport stamping and then had to collect the bags. Luckily we were green lighted to not have the bags opened and inspected so 3 hours later we are on our way to the bus. Well not knowing Cancun at all we foolishly went to Information Booth to inquire where we pick up the American Express transfer. BIG MISTAKE. They start out with an explanation of our transfer, but they end up with trying to sell you a time-share or ask you to go to a resort they are selling in exchange for free tickets to an excursion like Tulum, etc. Avoid this if you don’t want to spend at least ½ hour trying to get away from the ‘salesman’. Once we arrived after a 15-minute bus ride to the resort we were greeted and given washcloths and a fruit drink with no alcohol. I would have preferred that they ask you what you would like to drink as I usually have experienced with other AIs in Jamaica. Then they put that bracelet on you, which I hated. They will not put it on tight if you ask and will leave it loose to remove it when you want to. I personally never wore it around my wrist but opened it and wrapped it around my watchband near my wrist so I didn’t feel like I was wearing some symbol of being held captive. Someone else described it as a dog collar and I have to agree. I have never had to wear one in any other AI and feel they cheapen the resort’s ambiance. I wish there were a better way to handle the guests. When they say 3 o’clock check in they mean it – we could not get to the room a second sooner. We ate and wandered around and finally got our room, which was the Crown Club room. It was very nice and there is a huge hot tub that is right next to the bed – reminded us of the hotels in Cape Cod that cater to week end getaways for couples. It was sort of weird but OK. They offer a cruise and in room dinner but we didn’t do either since we would rather just eat at the restaurants. Other than these 3 things I do not see any difference in paying the extra money. I think we would have preferred a room that had a balcony – none of the Club rooms has it since you are on the top floor. The place was spotless. The bathrooms looked newly renovated and there was no problem with water or pressure. They changed the bedding daily and washed the place down whether I used the tub or not. I was pretty impressed with their service. To summarize the good versus the bad:Good ·People are incredibly nice and friendly. They are not looking for tips, or acting differently if you give them any or not. We did tip on the last day but it didn’t make a difference in how they behaved - which is a good thing. That has not been the case in Jamaica AIs where the service often comes with an attitude and only when you tip do you see a change in the personality (sometimes). ·Cleanliness is really evident. We wiped spills from the floor and did not pull up dirt – I have never seen that before. They were constantly polishing, washing and wiping. They even cleaned the ceilings in the elevators – a first for me! ·The beds are fine. I don’t get what people are referring to when they wrote about the hard mattress. We did not have any problem. Maybe we are used to it?·Restaurants –except for Paradise – are all very good. Service is quick and easy. Portions are fine. A lot of folks wrote about small quantities but we never thought so. I ordered off the menu and found that I could just get both the meat and the fish while skipping the potato and they mix it up without a question.·Beach is nice but be warned of the sand! You get exercise just walking because you sink right in and really have to push through. At least your calves get a workout. ·They have Spumanti, which they call champagne, and it is pretty good. ·They are not cheap on the drinks – at least we didn’t think so – and they have fast bar service so you can get as many as you want. The bar near the pool offered good sandwiches, fries and tacos as well as good bar service. We packed sandwiches for our plane ride home with ice and they held up well. The SHANGRI-LA" restaurant was very nice and the food was excellent. It was the best Caesar salad I had in awhile. The Pier 12 and the Old Bar. were also good but I agree that the meat at the Old Barn was always prepared the same and tasted the same no matter what the cut. ·Room service is fast and efficient. ·Their policy for 18 years old minimum age is not maintained. We saw several groups of kids there that were not 18 but more like 15-16. No big deal as they did not act up.·No reservations and we never had a problem getting a table. ·Decent exchange rate at the resort of about 10 US to 1 Cancun·No problem getting a hut on the beach or chair at the pool.Not so good·The breakfast and lunch buffets. ·B- fast was reasonable if you like pancakes and cereal or eggs but we felt that the sides were strange. Chicken Mole, roasted chicken, pork ribs, & hot dogs at 7:30 is kind of gross. They did have bacon but it was dry. Some fruit looked OK. They do not have any low-fat or fat free yogurt or milk which was disappointing. I bring a small pack of FF instant milk for my coffee for this reason. Also no Equal or Splenda – just Sweet and Low which I don’t like. If you don’t either then bring it from home. They did have a sort of hot cereal that I liked but it’s not like we are used too; very watered down versus oats. ·Lunch was also just alright. Choices were usually chicken – always thighs and legs ( same as b- fast) never any white meat, which they must save for the dinners. I found that sort of cheap. The beef at the carving station was quite fatty and also not great. The sushi is not technically sushi but actually the maki rolls that are mainly rice and avocado but they were passable and the wasabi hot. I can’t speak to the pizza or pasta. Hope you like rice. ·The service at the buffets was minimal to zero to the point that we had to get up to get our own coffee more than once. They never bring you water and it is pretty much self serve.·The bracelets – yuck. You feel like you are labeled when you walked on other properties. ·The shows start too late for us at 10 PM. We are up early and I think they should offer something as an alternative. ·Advertised as being oriented to couples but there were more young singles there when we stayed. No big deal but there were some drunken young guys in the reception area at 5:30 in the morning just staring into space or asleep. ·The afternoon tea ( at least the day we went ) was just that- tea. I though they would have had something to eat. Maybe I was there on a bad day. A lot of waste space – the mini golf course was not a great choice to add character and ambiance.·The gym Cons: The treadmill doesn’t work and we saw people knocked off it mid-run more than once. The weights are VERY basic with dumbbells up to 50 pounds. The benches are barely useful and in tough shape. There is one Universal that you can use but even that is fairly old. Just improvise a lot. They technically do not open until 7 AM which is late. Most resorts are either 24 hours or at 5 or 6 AM. We were not the only ones who were there by 6 AM and wanted access. They do open it if you ask. It’s not like they have any attendants there anyway. They should clean the equipment. There was actually what I believe is dried salt in the space of the elliptical where you rest your magazine from sweat. Pros: There are 2 ellipticals that work well and we used these every day. ( Despite the dried sweat!) Always had towels available and water. Forget squat racksDon’t use the pull up bar – it is ready to tip over.This is not a five star resort – more of a 3-4 star. Nice but not unforgettable or someplace I would return to if given a choice. I was a bit disappointed after I read all these reviews I had higher expectations. I would recommend it for an intro to Mexico but we will try another venue next time. One comment that was made was that there are people trying to get into rooms after you’re in there. What I think this is, is that there are drunks trying to find their way back to the room. We noticed that they shut out all the corridor lights and there is total darkness after a certain time in the AM. So if you came back from partying after say 4-5 AM you could not locate a room number. That is at least the case on the 6th floor. I think the place was safe.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2004

We visited the Golden Crown April 6-13th, 2004. The food was the best of the all inclusives we have been to. If you don't find what you like, you can take a free shuttle to the sister resort only 7 minutes away and eat at their restuarants too. If you love eating lobster, shrimp, quail, and lamb...they have it and it is terrific. We also really enjoyed the activity staff, they are very friendly and play alot of games during the day. Quick tips: 1. make reservations for the sister restaurants the first day you arrive and check shuttle times with the bellboy at each hotel 2. if you are an exercise freak like me, take the bike tour with Eva at 830 am every morning 3. don't miss the Fifties restaurant, very elegant 4. some portions at restaurants are small so order a second entree as an appetizer, we ate shrimp everday at lunch!!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2004

We returned from Canun on April 6 we read all previous reviews and have vacationed all over the Caribbean for the past 10 years and this was the best vacation ever. We (two couples) are beach people and just loved this beach, not crowded and the adult only atmosphere is super for those without children. Our rooms were nicely decorated and well cared for. The bed was firm but fine for us. We had an ocean view room, slept with the AC off and patio door open to allow for the gentle sea noise (better after 2:00am when the Tiki bar closed -but even that noise was no big deal). I would like to point out a few improvements that could be made however. The tv stations available were terrible for those from the US. There was none of the major networks featured, only CNN to keep you up to date with the news. (Not that we went there to watch tv but from time to time it would have been nice to catch something familiar - another resort we visited had one of the major networks - that was fine). For all you computer folks the internet machine in the bar was terrible. It was a super slow connection, powered by coins that it ate as the time passed. Added to the slow connection was the frustration of a very touchy -touch screen. I spent too much to get out a single message home. Be careful about the signs for the bathroom. They are all marked WC but are accompanied by symbols that you have to think about before entering. I saw more folks enter the wrong room. Finally don't put your hand out to stop the elevator door from closing as is the practice in our area at least. The "eye" is set very low and the door keeps closing, causing possible pain. These concerns were minor to accept, compared to the positive value of the resort. I is a great place we plan to return.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2004

We were extremely pleased with our stay.
1. Room- The room was very clean. Everything worked properly. If you were promised an ocean view (even numbered rooms), just mention it and you will get it.
2. Staff- Everyone was friendly and helpful. Lilli, who serves drinks poolside and beachside is exceptional. She is very helpful and friendly. She will remember what you drink.

3. Food- We did not expect gourmet but did expect decent cruise quality. The food was better than we expected. The breakfast buffet should satisfy everyone. They will make you any omelet or egg you want.
We found smoked salmon, cream cheese, etc. For lunch I preferred the sit-down seafood at Pier 12. My wife liked the buffet in the hotel and snack foods poolside. For dinner the Shangrila was satisfying. We did not care for the Old Barn but the steak was OK.

3.Ambiance- If you don't want to see or hear kids, this is perfect for you. Activities include, Yoga, water aerobics, beach and pool volleyball. We did not use the spa or workout equipment but they looked OK. We did not go to the entertainment. Note: there was toplessness which was not an issue for us. The staff encouraged participation in a good natured way. The consequences for losing is very entertaining if you aren't a prude.

Drinks- Only beer is Corona on tap. Wine is house which was fine. Mixed drinks were weak. We ordered our mixed drinks with a separate shot and it worked fine.

Tips- They are not requested or pushed. We always tipped and it was greatly appreciated.

Bottom line- exceeded expectations.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Port Macquarie, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2004

We have just returned from this resort after a fantastic week long holiday over the Easter break. We had previously stayed at the Crown Paradise with our son, and decided to visit this sister hotel with friends as it was Adults only. We really have had the best holiday ever. On our arrival we were given a lagoon view room. As I had read the reviews on this website, we insisted on an ocean view room, but the only ones available were the upgradeable rooms with jacuzzi, at $30.00 per night this was well worth it. The view from the room was incredible. The food at the hotel was great. We ate at all of the restaurants, and never had a bad meal. The daily entertainment staff were great, and kept everybody going all day. The beach bar staff were fantastic, especially Alfonso, Jose and Lili, they always remembered your names and drinks orders. All in all a very memorable holiday, and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

3 Thank ashbyinoz