Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #54 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
“No complaints”
Reviewed 24 April 2004

Well, we had a fablous time! I don't know why you all would complain. We need to realize that we are in another country and must respect their food and culture. We did not have ONE complaint! We were waited on hand and foot. The rooms were GREAT. We stayed in the Crown Club room. At first, I was disappointed b/c we didn't have a balcony, BUT, the view was wonderful. I would visit there again. The people couldn't have been more polite and helpful. The only thing you need to do..... Bring your own coffee. Mexican coffee looks like worm dirt. I am an avid coffee drinker, but rendered to go cold turkey once I got there. (Which was very difficult) I was not impressed with their k-up. Spicy and not as tasty as American! BUT besides that, WONDERFUL. If you can't find one person that works there that isn't wonderful to visit with. They were the greatest! The Tiki Bar was a hoot. We had so much fun. If you don't stay here, you will be disappointed. The rooms excepional, the Beach, the food, the people! I will visit again.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,143)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Longview, Texas
Reviewed 22 April 2004

My husband and I just returned from our 5 day stay at the Golden Crown. We were placed in a lagoon room (303), and there was not an oceanview room (216) available for two days. Our first room did have the musty smell, but the oceanview room did not. The bed was very hard, but we did not have any trouble sleeping. Our first room was very noisey, but the second room was more peaceful. There are constantly activities from beach volleyball to water games in the pool. The food was great. The portions are smaller than Americans are use to having, but you can order as much as you would like. For example, at the steakhouse, I ordered the filet mignon and a shrimp kabab. The steaks are good, but they are not Outback or Texas Roadhouse style. I would not rate the accomodations or food "five" star, but it was very nice (about a "four" star standard." The buffet food is extremely well prepared, and they will prepare just about anything you ask them to. My husband had beef fajitas, and I had the chicken. We both thought they were some of the best fajitas we have had. Alfonso is awesome. Even though we were not suppose to tip, we did most of the time. The beach is clean and nice. We could not get in the water due to the high winds and huge waves. I hope this review helps. Please email me if you have any questions.

3 Thank SusanM74
Saint Hubert Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2004

What can I say about The Golden Crown, Just excellent, the food,people,beach front all excellent. Would recommend this hotel. You must stay at this hotel. Clean,no bugs,maid service excellent,bar service excellent. All around 5* hotel no doubt about it. My two daughters and I stayed there from March 26th to April 2nd,2004. We loved it very much. The shows excellent. Pier 1,service and food excellent. The Barn resturant was so so. But not bad. So take it from me if you are planning a trip to Cancun stay at The Golden Crown Paradise Spa.

4 Thank Hrenova
Reviewed 20 April 2004

Wow! This was our very first Caribbean vacation, and it was all we hoped it would be! Upon arrival at the Golden Crown, we were seated, and given a cool, non alcholic drink, while we were introuduced to all that was offered at the resort. We were given a room on the lagoon side and told that we could move to an ocean view the following morning.We then met with a representative from a travel agency that worked along with the one we booked through. Victor from Lamos travel was so very nice, informative and helpful! He was at his post every day until 7 pm and answered any question we had and offered his own advice as well.
After meeting with Victor, we walked up to our room and it did have a bit of musty odor as I had read previously on this board. The mustiness that was mentioned in the elevator, I did not find to be true. Our oceanview room didn't smell musty at all either, maybe it has something to do with the lagoon? The beds...yes, firm! Oh well! The place is ALWAYS being cleaned! The people that work at this resort treat everyone like royalty! And yes, it's true, they remember your name! We enjoyed all the food we ate, and we ate alot! If there is something you don't like, try something else! The drinks were fine for us, in fact I had to start telling Alfonso to "be gentle with me!". There are bloody mary's and mimosa's each morning and anything you can think of through out the day for drinks! There is food available 24 hours a day. I love my children, they are grown now, so it was nice to go on vacation and not hear screaming kids! We really enjoyed EVERYTHING, I've got no complaints (our plane got cancelled the first day that we were to arrive, and our luggage didn't come home yet, but neither of these things are the fault of anyone at the Golden Crown). We'd like to thank everyone of the employees, but the ones who stand out are our cleaning woman Rosa (never got to meet her, but she left towels shaped into animal forms, and flowers on our bed!), Alfonso, Jose, Orviline (bartenders) Christina,(beach bar waitress) Alberto( the cutie from the Old Barn) and the jewelry store girl named Edith!I feel like i must've missed something or someone..but I am still excited..we just got home from spending 6 nights and we're already searching the net for deals so that we can return!

• Stayed April 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 April 2004

What a fantastic holiday! This was my first time at an all-inclusive, no one under 18 hotel! I will definitley do it again, it was very nice to have the pool free of children...plenty of room to do laps and enjoy a drink in peace. The food at all of the restaurants was exceptional, the steaks at the Old Barn cooked to perfection, Shangri La, exquisite beyond belief! Jose and Lili were great, always remembered your name and made great drinks....thanks for the cd, Jose! The rooms were very clean, Naomi added a special touch of red hibiscus each day, very nice creations with the towels! Way to go Naomi! The Golden Crown Paradise Spa is rated number one in my book...the very best food, staff, pool, tours...Oh, the Morning Glory tour to Puerto Morelos was a fantastic snorkeling adventure, when you vist Cancun, you must do this, but remember, no sunscreen is to be worn in the water, it kills the coral on the reefs (you can wear a certain type, they sell it there, cheap, made from advocados or coconuts)! A big shout out to Pablo and Carlos on the boat Claudina, you made the snorkeling trip memorable, thanks for everything, especially letting me feed the fish, hold the queen conch and the HUGE starfish! You guys are the best! I already miss all of the wonderful people I met, Lili, thanks for all the drinks by the pool, you really made my holiday! Hola!

somerset ma
Reviewed 19 April 2004

Trip report – Golden Crown Paradise Resort & SpaWe arrived at the airport in time Saturday 4-10. What a nightmare. The lines were completely ridiculous and circled like a queue for a ride at Disneyland but worse. We waited over 2 hours just to get to the passport stamping and then had to collect the bags. Luckily we were green lighted to not have the bags opened and inspected so 3 hours later we are on our way to the bus. Well not knowing Cancun at all we foolishly went to Information Booth to inquire where we pick up the American Express transfer. BIG MISTAKE. They start out with an explanation of our transfer, but they end up with trying to sell you a time-share or ask you to go to a resort they are selling in exchange for free tickets to an excursion like Tulum, etc. Avoid this if you don’t want to spend at least ½ hour trying to get away from the ‘salesman’. Once we arrived after a 15-minute bus ride to the resort we were greeted and given washcloths and a fruit drink with no alcohol. I would have preferred that they ask you what you would like to drink as I usually have experienced with other AIs in Jamaica. Then they put that bracelet on you, which I hated. They will not put it on tight if you ask and will leave it loose to remove it when you want to. I personally never wore it around my wrist but opened it and wrapped it around my watchband near my wrist so I didn’t feel like I was wearing some symbol of being held captive. Someone else described it as a dog collar and I have to agree. I have never had to wear one in any other AI and feel they cheapen the resort’s ambiance. I wish there were a better way to handle the guests. When they say 3 o’clock check in they mean it – we could not get to the room a second sooner. We ate and wandered around and finally got our room, which was the Crown Club room. It was very nice and there is a huge hot tub that is right next to the bed – reminded us of the hotels in Cape Cod that cater to week end getaways for couples. It was sort of weird but OK. They offer a cruise and in room dinner but we didn’t do either since we would rather just eat at the restaurants. Other than these 3 things I do not see any difference in paying the extra money. I think we would have preferred a room that had a balcony – none of the Club rooms has it since you are on the top floor. The place was spotless. The bathrooms looked newly renovated and there was no problem with water or pressure. They changed the bedding daily and washed the place down whether I used the tub or not. I was pretty impressed with their service. To summarize the good versus the bad:Good ·People are incredibly nice and friendly. They are not looking for tips, or acting differently if you give them any or not. We did tip on the last day but it didn’t make a difference in how they behaved - which is a good thing. That has not been the case in Jamaica AIs where the service often comes with an attitude and only when you tip do you see a change in the personality (sometimes). ·Cleanliness is really evident. We wiped spills from the floor and did not pull up dirt – I have never seen that before. They were constantly polishing, washing and wiping. They even cleaned the ceilings in the elevators – a first for me! ·The beds are fine. I don’t get what people are referring to when they wrote about the hard mattress. We did not have any problem. Maybe we are used to it?·Restaurants –except for Paradise – are all very good. Service is quick and easy. Portions are fine. A lot of folks wrote about small quantities but we never thought so. I ordered off the menu and found that I could just get both the meat and the fish while skipping the potato and they mix it up without a question.·Beach is nice but be warned of the sand! You get exercise just walking because you sink right in and really have to push through. At least your calves get a workout. ·They have Spumanti, which they call champagne, and it is pretty good. ·They are not cheap on the drinks – at least we didn’t think so – and they have fast bar service so you can get as many as you want. The bar near the pool offered good sandwiches, fries and tacos as well as good bar service. We packed sandwiches for our plane ride home with ice and they held up well. The SHANGRI-LA" restaurant was very nice and the food was excellent. It was the best Caesar salad I had in awhile. The Pier 12 and the Old Bar. were also good but I agree that the meat at the Old Barn was always prepared the same and tasted the same no matter what the cut. ·Room service is fast and efficient. ·Their policy for 18 years old minimum age is not maintained. We saw several groups of kids there that were not 18 but more like 15-16. No big deal as they did not act up.·No reservations and we never had a problem getting a table. ·Decent exchange rate at the resort of about 10 US to 1 Cancun·No problem getting a hut on the beach or chair at the pool.Not so good·The breakfast and lunch buffets. ·B- fast was reasonable if you like pancakes and cereal or eggs but we felt that the sides were strange. Chicken Mole, roasted chicken, pork ribs, & hot dogs at 7:30 is kind of gross. They did have bacon but it was dry. Some fruit looked OK. They do not have any low-fat or fat free yogurt or milk which was disappointing. I bring a small pack of FF instant milk for my coffee for this reason. Also no Equal or Splenda – just Sweet and Low which I don’t like. If you don’t either then bring it from home. They did have a sort of hot cereal that I liked but it’s not like we are used too; very watered down versus oats. ·Lunch was also just alright. Choices were usually chicken – always thighs and legs ( same as b- fast) never any white meat, which they must save for the dinners. I found that sort of cheap. The beef at the carving station was quite fatty and also not great. The sushi is not technically sushi but actually the maki rolls that are mainly rice and avocado but they were passable and the wasabi hot. I can’t speak to the pizza or pasta. Hope you like rice. ·The service at the buffets was minimal to zero to the point that we had to get up to get our own coffee more than once. They never bring you water and it is pretty much self serve.·The bracelets – yuck. You feel like you are labeled when you walked on other properties. ·The shows start too late for us at 10 PM. We are up early and I think they should offer something as an alternative. ·Advertised as being oriented to couples but there were more young singles there when we stayed. No big deal but there were some drunken young guys in the reception area at 5:30 in the morning just staring into space or asleep. ·The afternoon tea ( at least the day we went ) was just that- tea. I though they would have had something to eat. Maybe I was there on a bad day. A lot of waste space – the mini golf course was not a great choice to add character and ambiance.·The gym Cons: The treadmill doesn’t work and we saw people knocked off it mid-run more than once. The weights are VERY basic with dumbbells up to 50 pounds. The benches are barely useful and in tough shape. There is one Universal that you can use but even that is fairly old. Just improvise a lot. They technically do not open until 7 AM which is late. Most resorts are either 24 hours or at 5 or 6 AM. We were not the only ones who were there by 6 AM and wanted access. They do open it if you ask. It’s not like they have any attendants there anyway. They should clean the equipment. There was actually what I believe is dried salt in the space of the elliptical where you rest your magazine from sweat. Pros: There are 2 ellipticals that work well and we used these every day. ( Despite the dried sweat!) Always had towels available and water. Forget squat racksDon’t use the pull up bar – it is ready to tip over.This is not a five star resort – more of a 3-4 star. Nice but not unforgettable or someplace I would return to if given a choice. I was a bit disappointed after I read all these reviews I had higher expectations. I would recommend it for an intro to Mexico but we will try another venue next time. One comment that was made was that there are people trying to get into rooms after you’re in there. What I think this is, is that there are drunks trying to find their way back to the room. We noticed that they shut out all the corridor lights and there is total darkness after a certain time in the AM. So if you came back from partying after say 4-5 AM you could not locate a room number. That is at least the case on the 6th floor. I think the place was safe.

Reviewed 19 April 2004

We visited the Golden Crown April 6-13th, 2004. The food was the best of the all inclusives we have been to. If you don't find what you like, you can take a free shuttle to the sister resort only 7 minutes away and eat at their restuarants too. If you love eating lobster, shrimp, quail, and lamb...they have it and it is terrific. We also really enjoyed the activity staff, they are very friendly and play alot of games during the day. Quick tips: 1. make reservations for the sister restaurants the first day you arrive and check shuttle times with the bellboy at each hotel 2. if you are an exercise freak like me, take the bike tour with Eva at 830 am every morning 3. don't miss the Fifties restaurant, very elegant 4. some portions at restaurants are small so order a second entree as an appetizer, we ate shrimp everday at lunch!!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
#25 of 175 in Cancun
Grand Oasis Palm
Grand Oasis Palm
#50 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun? Share your experiences!