“Great Hotel for Visiting Cancun”

Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #55 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was my first time in Cancun and I was not disappointed.

I can barely fault Golden Parnassus but will try to give an honest review. The Hotel wherever you go is absolutely spotless. That includes the hotel rooms, restaurants, pool area, beach area, and public toilets. You will never be in a public area without a drink as the bar and waiting staff are on hand to give you a refreshing cocktail, water or soft drink. ALL drinks including the alcohol were top name brands - Pepsi, Bacardi, etc.

I didn't know what to expect from an adults only hotel but it worked out so well - no screaming kids and most importantly, you could come down to the pool any time of the day and there are loads of sun-loungers free. Towels are provided for around the pool and beach and are changed daily. Only thing was the pool was always warm so not much relief from the heat.

Each restaurant including the breakfast and lunch buffet offered freshly cooked meals from Italian, Japanese, seafood, steak, chicken - everything! The food is beautiful and always presented well.

The hotel room (double room) was lovely. It was always spotlessly clean however the made are up and cleaning from 8am so you might want to put the Privacy sign on the door for a long lie. The bathroom had a strange glass door with no lock but didn't bother use, it was clean. Huge double sized shower cubicle with hot and powerful shower. Air con is free and you can keep it on all day every day. Safety deposit box is also free. Take a travel adapter that changes your voltage as my hairdryer wouldn't work at full power. That meant I used the hairdryer in the bathroom and it was fantastic, lots of power which I need for thick long hair. The iron provided in the room was also really good. Big flat screen TV as well.

My friends complained about no wi-fi but we were able to connect to the "Sandos" - hotel next door - wifi for free.

What made this holiday was the friendly staff - they would go out of their way to help you and appreciated any tips - we often tipped just at meal times 50 pesos and the bar staff after a good night at the pool bar. Entertainment team took us to a different club every night and were also very funny, outgoing people who seem to work all hours. The other holidaymakers were brilliant as well and from all over the world - North and South America, UK, Canada, etc..

Room Tip: Each side of the hotel offers either a sea view or a lagoon view, both very pretty
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
11  Thank NAZ18
Parnassus2011, Chief Concierge at Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear NAZ18,

Thank you for choosing the Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa to spend your vacation, we are so glad to know that your first experience in Cancun could exceed your expectations finding a pleasant accommodation with all the services for you to enjoy a comfortable stay.

We appreciate your comments for our staff, they are our most valuable asset and the ones that make your experience memorable, our hard work is rewarded with your acknowledgement.

We hope to welcome you back for another great vacation experience in Cancun.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We booked through an interline company last Dec to stay for my birthday this past weekend, 7/18-21. My husband called the hotel directly on 7/11 to confirm our reservation, they said all was good. We arrived around 11 am on 7/18 and were advised that they had canceled our reservation because the interline company did not pay in time and since it was their high season, they needed the room for other guests (in other words, they overbooked and since we had paid a discounted rate, they canceled our reservation). We were given two different stories from their reservations people and from their Manager on duty. Our interline rep said they had paid the hotel and were trying to send over confirmation, but the hotel said it was too late anyway since they had no rooms. After 2 wasted hours in the lobby, our interline rep found us a very nice upgraded room at the Westin Resort & Spa. I will not recommend this hotel to anyone... very shady. The one nice thing they did was let us eat lunch while we were waiting for our rep to find us another hotel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank TravelWhispererKT
Parnassus2011, Chief Concierge at Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear TravelWhispererKT,

We appreciate you to share with us your feedback. During high seasons this situation may occur, however, is not made on purpose.

The reasons exposed by our team at the time of your check in were real, we are sorry that this misunderstanding with your agency carried uncomfortable moments at the beginning of your vacation.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and provide you the Parnassus experience that you were expecting from us.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Recently I have taken to writing reviews for my travels as I read and rely on others so firstly please share your experiences so others can get better insight.

I am going to break this review into two sections: Americans/Canadians and Everyone else (sorry if the offends anyone)

To Everyone else (I am from Rep.of Ireland)
This is a fantastic hotel full stop!!! the staff from reception to cleaning to bar to towel guys and Reps all do an amazing job. never have I felt so acknowledge and felt like people were working hard to make my holiday even better!
The food is great, it can be repetitive and a touch bland but taking advantage of all the restaurants and the snack bar by the pool, you will never go hungry. the only comments i heard about the food were from people who admitted themselves to be picky eaters.
myself and my girlfriend stayed here for 10nights and did eat elsewhere for a couple of nights just for extra variety. I suppose a good way to discribe the food is for people staying up to 7 days you will not complain for longer stays it might get a bit boring but where doesnt.
The reps and bar staff cater to all ages and myself coming for a similar industry smiled at the quick switch over of songs and volumes depending on majority partaking in activities. beer pong, tequilla volley ball and fun bingo happen pretty much every day and music plays all the time which for me was great as I can get fidgety. for those having never travelled this direction before. the pool is like a bath, the ocean is like a bath and the jacuzzi is like a hot bath! its amazing!
Cleaning staff were great but do come randomly during the late morning/afternoon (they run on mexican time, kinda like the irish) rooms will be left spotless and towels fresh if you so desire.
The bar staff are to be watched......in the best way possible :) they will have your drink ready in seconds and before your last sip another shot across the bar at you! its was paradise for us :) ask them about their cocktails, they have some fun ones! (try a bob marley) a great tip is to get a "bubba" for the hotel shop. they are way over priced (20-25dollars) for a liter one but beside the pool your drink will never heat up! I got a drink at 12pm and was still slush and ready to drink that evening! (americans bring yours)

Tipping seemed to be a heated debate while there but talking with locals mexicans, they truly believe you tip for extra ordinary service, not ordinary! we were happy to tip for somethings where we felt they did a great job but felt no pressure otherwise and service didn't deteriorate because of it! just use common sense.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone, its nice, clean and friendly!
if you have read otherwise I would recommend you read who is complaining and where from, which leads me nicely to the next section

To Americans
This hotel is nice, its not American 5 star but its lovely. drink is flowing, food is good but please understand its mexico. customer service in the US is over the top for most europeans but Mexican service is perfect. from talking to many americans they were happy but there eyes wondered to the Ritz Carlton next door and tried comparing. I dont mean to be mean but You guys are the visitors in their country please dont treat them like immigrants as we heard so many people do so many times. again read reviews from people living in the US to get the best review for you but for a european this place was great! also pack/buy your Bubba in US they are way cheaper.

To everyone
if you plan on booking an excursion take two things into consideration
1 - Street vendors are cheaper
2 - Hotel vendors are guaranteed

example of price difference would be chichen itza being 89-99 dollars in hotel vs 50 at a vendor but make sure you get contact numbers from vendors because we lost out on a day of our holiday because a bus didnt come collect us (this doesnt happen with hotel vendor)
parasailing can be done in cash beside the hotel for 100dollars for two (128 from vendors)
Jungle tour is 50 each from street vendor but make sure you make them include reef tax in that) everything is a haggle and them asking for tips at every turn will wreck your head but as i said extra ordinary work deserves tips. Another tip would be don't accept "gifts" until you know how much they cost.

I hope this review helps people get an idea of this hotel and thanks for all the staff, Juan carlos on reception, Jose on tiki bar and Israel one of the reps who all looked after us so well

*also a few comments have gone up about robberies within the hotel, my heart goes out to the people that had problems but I have to say while there a maintenance man checked all the locks to make sure batteries were working and locks were too. the entrance security were like Please be sure to lock your sliding doors and put something in the way of them opening if you like (we didnt) I left my macbook, gopro, wallet and Dslr out on a table most of the holiday and obviously had no problem but like anywhere, be sensible. (tips if your nervous, put do not disturb sign on door in the evening or during day excursions bearing in mind the cleaners will skip your room) use the safe and take the key with you and if you want leave the tv on as a deterrent but these are just general travel tips.

Room Tip: beach views seem nice but all the night time action is that side (until 2am). Lagoon side has sunset...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
29  Thank IrishSamDublin

Dear IrishSamDublin,

Thank you for choosing the Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa, we appreciate you to share with us your detailed feedback about the Resort.

Golden Parnassus offers 5 restaurants with different kind of Cuisine to cater every palate. In our 4 bars we have a large selection of spirits and expert staff to prepare your favorite cocktail.

On behalf of all the staff of the Golden Parnassus I would like to thank you for your comments and acknowledgement to our hard work, we all try to go out of our way in order to provide the most pleasant and enjoyable vacation. Our personalized service distinguishes us.

We hop to have the opportunity to serve you again on your next vacation to Cancun.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This was our 1st trip to Cancun, a big anniversary trip for us. We were so excited. We were first greeted with drinks and a nice SALES lady wanting us to take a tour of the other resort to become members. Then we were told we were being upgraded to an ocean deluxe view because there was none of the rooms we booked availabel After seeing the room which overlooked the roof and not much ocean they said oh look there is a room on the lagoon side. (not much view there either, just buildings). so we Paid to upgrade to a nice Ocean View room. This room was great, I must say and the view beautiful. The only complaint I would have is the bathroom lights are to dim.
My husband loved that the drinks were included and ended up buying a big mug because the cups were to small. We loved the bar in the lobby, very nice bartenders.
My biggest clomplant was I guess my fault. I never realized that adult only ment clothing was optional. I did not like having to be careful when we would go to the pool or beach. Actully that didn't work either, there was always at least 1 around. Maybe we were just there on the wrong week.
We felt very welcomed at breakfast each morning. The waite staff was always happy to show you to a table.
We learned a few vailable lessons on this trip. 1. Becareful on what adult only means and 2 never pay the first price for anything in cancun. They always lower the prices. 3 shop at wal-mart (it only costs $1 for the bus ride) everything is cheaper there without the pressure to buy.

Room Tip: We loved our 3rd floor Ocean View.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 30years1984

Dear 30years1984,

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing the Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa to celebrate your 30th. Wedding Anniversary, it was an honor to host you on this celebration.

We are glad to know that you could enjoy of the beautiful views that our rooms have to offer. Our All Inclusive package include 5 restaurants and 4 bars with semi international open bar to take advantage of, beer, soda, cocktails and spirits are available 24hrs.

Being an Adult Only Resort, the Golden Parnassus cater different kind of guests with different personalities, we welcome the diversity and chill vibe at the Resort as long as it always come along with respect within our guests.

Do not hesitate to come back to the Golden Parnassus, it will be our pleasure to welcome you on your next Anniversary.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Great place to stay adults only so there are no kids running around just plane relaxing great pool the staff see that you have every thing you need and could want close to,all the attractions I've been twice and guaranteed I'll be going back again and again

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Eric S

Dear Eric S,

Thank you coming back home, it has been a pleasure to serve you once more. Most of our repeat guests find in the Golden Parnassus a small Resort where to feel pampered with our personalized service and friendly ambiance.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to your home in Cancun.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed June 12-19, 2014, This is an interesting resort, some things very good and some things not. Stayed a week with a good friend and we did have a good time. The place is fun with a level of interaction between guests I havn't experienced on my previous ten(?) trips to the area, and with this resort not being as highly rated as others, maybe it doesn't get the "snobby clientel". The outside bar by the pool is "the place to be" , with relaxed pleasant people who are happy to chat and have a drink. We met many very nice, cool people to hang out with, and ended up having dinner, good conversations, and fun evenings with our new friends. It seems like many folks are repeat visitors. I have to give a lot of credit to the bartenders for the friendly, open atmosphere at the bar.
The beach and water are beautiful - hard to describe - if you've never seen it - Go.
As far as dining goes, this wasn't Top Level Five Star Restaurant quality dining, but i didn't expect it to be. The food was good,as was the service, and we didn't get sick eating at the resort. Shangri La is worth getting "dressed up" for.
Drinks - an issue here. It seems like they hide the top shelf liquor and it got a little old having to always ask. The selection of good liquor was weak, and considering that Parnassus is almost as expensive as top rated resorts, they could do a better job. A little beer variety would be nice.
The overall quality of the resort is a bit old and tired, it's time to start some serious remodeling and up-grading if they want to keep their five rating (out of six).
As many other reviewers have stated, tips go a long way. But at an all inclusive resort where tips are supposed to be included? Guests shouldn't be treated in any way less if they are not tipping at an all inclusive, tips included resort.
There also was an issue with my friends resort sponsored trip to an area night club called Coco Bongo. Parnassus charges $80 Dollars with the understanding that a vehicle will get you there and all your drinks are included and you can by-pass the lines, and you get to see the show, but they don't tell you that a ride back to the resort is NOT included!! My friend brought almost no money, which was a huge problem at the end of the night when you have to take a taxi back to the hotel! Parnassus needs to communicate this to guests.
I struggled with the Very Good rating, started as Average, but we had fun and I'd go back. It wouldn't take that much effort by Parnassus to make the resort Excellent.

Room Tip: Great view from the 6th floor, ocean side. There a lot of negative reviews about this property on th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank Traveler-David

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa to spend your vacation in Cancun.

We are so pleased to know that you enjoyed the vibe of the Resort getting to know other guests and making new friends. One of the things that our repeat guests praise is the familiar and friendly environment that we have at the Resort.

All of us working here at the Golden Parnassus are aware that tips are already included and the Resort does not promote asking for tips, we understand that gratitudes are sometimes offered by guests when they find our service second to none, but this is completely up to the guest, we would like to apologize if you felt pressure from our staff on this matter.

We appreciate you to bring to our attention the misunderstanding with Coco Bongo, we will address this issue to the rep in order that it doesn’t be repeated.

We will be grateful to have the opportunity to welcome you back to provide you a flawless vacation in Cancun.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Golden Parnassus from the 27th of June to the 11th of July and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. On arrival we were greeted with welcome drinks as we checked in which was refreshing as we had a long flight. We were also relieved that we didn't get 'bumped' to the Great Parnassus as we had seen people write on this. Our room was 239. Since there was only two of us we expected a king size bed, however they gave us two small double beds which we thought was a bit odd. We also had a 'lagoon view' which wasn't exactly what we expected as we were facing onto the car park and could only slightly see the lagoon in the distance. I would definitely recommend to pay extra for an ocean view. Although the room itself looked a bit outdated the bathrooms were very nice and updated with a large walk in shower. The rooms were cleaned on a daily basis and we could not fault the maids in any way. My girlfriend and I preferred to sunbathe at the beach which was beautiful in every way. Although we didn't sit at the pool we did notice the pool always seemed busy with fun activities and a lively atmosphere. The entertainment staff at the pool always came down to the beach area and asked if we would want to join in.

Bars and Restaurants:

Bars - There was 4 bars within our hotel: We enjoyed the tiki bar the most which was the bar that faced onto the Ocean at the pool. It had excellent bar staff including - Jose, Fermin, Gregori and Fonzy. You couldn't fault them at all as there was always a drink waiting for you after you finished one. They were also very friendly and the bar itself had a good lively atmosphere. We also enjoyed the 60s bar which was also busy aswell. There is a karaoke night on a Wednesday which is a good laugh.

Restaurants - There was four restaurants in the hotel. The one we enjoyed the most was The Old Barn. This has a variety of steaks, fish, chicken etc. The waiters were very attentive to you and the food overall was very nice. Pier 12 was also very nice, however they needed a big more variety in the starters. There was also another two restaurants, we enjoyed these but old barn and the pier 12 were our favorites. We took the free shuttle a few times to the 'Great Paranassus' for dinner which was also nice.

We would 100% recommend this hotel as the staff are fantastic and really make your holiday.

Room Tip: It is worth paying a bit extra for the ocean view room. The rooms on the lower floors are quite no...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Robbie F

Dear Traveler-David,

Thank you for your preference selecting the Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa to spend your summer vacation.

It is always a pleasure to know when our guests have had a pleasant and enjoyable stay just as you did. All of our guests truly enjoy hanging out at the Tiki Bar either at day or night it has a fun ambiance along with the most refreshing and delicious drinks. We also have the Sixties Bar where you can watch sports live as well to enjoy a fun evening playing pool or having fun with the entertainment activities organized by our entertainment staff.

We are honored with your recommendation and we truly hope to have the pleasure to serve you again on your next vacation in Cancun.

Maru Reyes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort
Grand Oasis Palm
Grand Oasis Palm
#47 of 177 in Cancun

Been to Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun? Share your experiences!