7,609 results
All reviews paradise buffet sixties bar dolphin bar entertainment staff pier restaurant la restaurant ocean view coconut shrimp sister hotel tequila volleyball club room lagoon side steak breakfast and lunch japanese restaurant have a good time sushi
Reviewed 13 November 2004

For the money, this place is where its at. We went on our Honeymoon Sept. 26-30 via Worry Free Vacations. We had 3rd floor ocean view and it was great, the staff were very helpful & the beach was just gorgeous.

I would recommend eating at Shangrila and hanging out at the Tiki Bar by the ocean. Jose was just the greatest! Lot of nice folks, mostly honeymooners & quite a few topeless europeans. Free shuttle to the local bars every night.

On the downside, bottled water was tough to come by, and the beds were a little hard but for the price, view & the clear water it was all worth it.

I posted some pics of our vacation since I couldn't seem to find any online when we were researching the right hotel for us.

Stayed: January 2005
14  Thank Carlos C
Reviewed 12 November 2004

My husband and I were at the GCPS the first week in November. We had a terrific time.

Beaches: Never a problem getting chairs under the Palapas where you can get your drinks delivered to you. The sand is white/powdery/clean. Vendors are not allowed to come up to where you sit , but you can approach them if you see something you might want to purchase. The undertow is strong...so take heed of the lifeguard.

Pools: There's a tanning pool and a regular pool (no diving).
The best time to swim is in the morning before they start with the omnipresent volleyball. They provide towels which you can pick up next to the pool area.

Exercise Room: Opens at 7 AM. 2 separate rooms: one with free weights; the other with Universal, 3 treadmills. stationery bike; elliptical. There's a TV in the larger room. There's a CD player and you can bring your own CD's....but I couldn't get it to work.

Spa: Massages/facials/ manicures/pedicures/hair braiding

Tipping: The staff is excellent. Some of them earn $2 to $4 a day. I know they advertise no tipping...but that simply is an enticement by owners. You don't have to pay equivalent U.S. tips of 15-20%, but a couple bucks goes a long way. We tipped the maid daily, and each bartender, and all waiters. On our last night we tipped one of the Head Waiters $10. Before coming to Cancun go to your bank and get $100 - $200 in singles to bring with you......you'll be glad you did.

Room: Very basic...but clean. The maid consistently forgot to give us washcloths...but brought them quickly each time we called.
Even numbers ocean side; odd numbers lagoon side. We loved having an ocean view...but it was a trade-off with not having our own hot tub in our room. Sixth floor has no balcony. Beds are hard, but comfortable. The only thing we didn't like were the extremely soft pillows.
Found ants in the room one day...reported it....they sprayed .......ants gone.
Air conditioning was fine. No musty smells as some others have written.

Restaurants: Pier 12 Seafood....good for lunch and dinner...but limited menu.
The Barn: We only ate there once. Great Chili Bean Soup. My husband wasn't thrilled with the beef.
Paradise Buffet: Our favorite for breakfast and lunch. Eggs/Omelettes to order/waffles/pancakes/fresh fruit/yogurt/toast etc.etc. For lunch you can have them grill fish or other meats...lots of Mexican foods you can try....pizza....salads...etc. They open at 7A.M. Between 6AM and 7AM they have hot coffee and continental breakfast outside this restauarant...it's good if you're going on a tour leaving early.
Our favorite place to eat dinner was Shangri-la: Gourmet menu which changed daily. Men do have to wear long pants/shirts with collars/and no sandals. I saw women in casual slacks/skirts/fancy dresses...almost anything goes. Just a word of caution: bring a a sweater or shawl or jacket. If you sit next to the windows (overlooking ocean or pool....very romantic) the air conditioning is right over you. The presentation of the food is great as is the quality. It's 5 courses and you will be full when you leave. As with any of their restaurants, if you want more of something, just ask for it. Service is impeccable. They advertise dancing here, but it is a small dance floor and they have a piano player.
Room Service: It's 24 hour and no extra-charge. The food comes from the outdoor grill area. We had club sandwiches and french fries (not recommended).

Activities: Lots of Volley-ball; miniature golf in the un-air conditoned lobby (waste of space to me). Activities more geared to 20's and 30's. Shows at 10 PM were for an hour and were very good. We would have liked to have stayed at the GCP and danced, but they take you to town to the bars if you want to go. We understand they used to have dancing at the Beer Garden but activities personnel stopped that because they allegedly get a kick-back from the bars in town for bringing you there.

Bars: The Tiki-Bar by the pool/beach is the best....and Alphonso (prefers to be called Fonzie) is the greatest bartender......you should tip him well!

Tourists: No children was great. People from 20's to 70's. Everybody was terrific.....everyone there to enjoy themselves. Lots of great people from the U.K. and all over the U.S.; all shapes/sizes/colors.

Have a great time...we did!

6  Thank mysu
Reviewed 12 November 2004

We were guests from 11/3 - 11/10. It was our 25th wedding anniversary and we had booked through our agent an ocean front / king bed for our room. Following check - in, we were assigned a lagoon view / 2 twin beds room. We explained that it was our anniversary and wanted a room change. We were told that this is the system at this resort. It doesn't matter what you book, you get this and then wait to be moved within a couple days. We were offered for $ 30.00 more per day, a club room on the 1st floor with an obstructed view, we declined. We were told to come back at 8 am to ask a manager. At 8 am, we were told to come back at 11 am because they did not know how many were checking out ??? Long story short, we were finally given an ocean front room w/ king bed. Absolutely beautiful. This is the type of hassle that keeps this place from being a great resort. A couple other " little things " that this resort could easily fix are: Teaspoons - put some out at breakfast, even put plastic ones out if no silver ones available. I had to use a knive for my coffee for 5 mornings. Pool Umbrellas - bright 90* F. sun requires some shade at times. Only one pool area worker is allowed to bring you an umbrella and if he isn't around you must wait for sometimes up to 45 minutes. No One else will help you with this. Buffet - leave it open for supper. 3 restaurants is not enough variety for 7 nights. Management - Should get out and just walk around and visit with the guests. This is a highly competitive business and customer service should be a top priority. This is a beautiful resort with a lot going for it, I just would would look elsewhere in the future as there is nothing special about this resort compared to others like it.

Reviewed 10 November 2004

I went to Cancun for the first time in June 2004. I know this review is late, but I am getting ready to book again and am planning on returning to the Golden Crown. The hotel and staff are awesome. If you have never been to Cancun, this is a great hotel with a very helpful and friendly staff. I must say my initial impression of the hotel room(Lagoon side) was not that great. The room was musty and the lagoon seemed far away. We asked to upgrade to an oceanview and were accomodated very quickly. Let me tell you, get an ocean view if possible. The rooms look dated (70's style furniture) but I grew to like the room very much. The room was very clean and I never felt bothered by the cleaning crew. The beds are a little firm, but I slept well. As many have said, the highlight of my trip outside a beutiful area was the bartenders. They work very hard and even harder if you give them a tip - well deserved I might add. Food is good to very good overall. The portions are not very large, but you can eat all day if you want. I especially recommend the breakfast buffet and Pier. Finally, I love kids but it was nice to have an adults only place. You will love this place if this is your first time. I feel it is a very good value for the money. You will not be disappointed.
In closing, skip the deep sea fishing run through the hotel - big rip off. I believe the fishing can be good, but research some other outfits. Isla Mujeures is an interesting experience - rent a golf cart and enjoy - very safe but adventurous. Taxis are expensive so watch out(I learned the hard way). Please e-mail me at ekraska2002@yahoo.com if you have any questions.

3  Thank ECK08
Reviewed 9 November 2004

this was my second trip to cancun. stay was from Oct. 31-Nov.4 2004. service was excellent. food was average to above average. Take a large plastic cup with you if you drink beer. they will fill it up for you and save you many trips. alfonzo,regino, and megail are great bartenders. christina is the pool girl and does great also. the only thing i would improve on is the night life. there is a beer room and some shows but a band or something would be nicer in my opinion. front desk staff also nice.
pool and beach is impeccable. if there is red flags out for the ocean stay out of water. undertow is dangerous. im going back next year.

• Stayed: November 2004