“All inclusive, all great”

Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #52 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 6 March 2005

Before we went to the GCP, we were disappointed at the negative reviews. We arrived home yesterday and are even more amazed that there was anything negative to say. Everything was as we had hoped for and expected. Food, room (lagoon view on 5th floor), atmosphere, guests and staff all great. Being English but living in America, the Shangri-La was our favourite restaurant with smaller portions and more of a nouvelle cuisine style. We would like to say "Hi" to our new friends from near Chicago - Tom, Stephanie, Brian, Laurie, Tim and Jennifer plus all the other wonderful people we met. I hope we shall be back!

• Stayed: March 2005
15  Thank Trishb
Write a ReviewReviews (6,861)

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reviewed 4 March 2005

I just returned on March 1 from a week at the Golden Crown and I could easily have stayed much longer. Our only glich to the whole stay was the first night because we got the last available room and we had to stay on the main floor right beside the elevator. When we informed the front desk that the lock on the balcony door was broken, we had a man in to fix it within 5 minutes and the job was done in less than 20 minutes. The noise from the lobby and the constant drone from the elevator going up and down was bothersome, but a visit to the front desk in the morning got us switched to a room that was becoming available later that morning. My partner left her watch in the safe when we changed rooms and it was returned to her a couple of days later when the front desk called our new room and said that they had found it. How's that for service? The room was very clean and by leaving a tip and a fruit bar each day, we got flower petals and towel sculptures on our bed from the cleaning staff. I didn't mind the hard bed as I have a bad back and appreciate the firmness. I've slept in way worse! All the staff that we dealt with was very friendly, accommodating and quite fluent in English. There was never any trouble communicating. The waiters in the restaurants were excellent. The buffet breakfast and lunch had different offerings each day and I especially enjoyed the fresh fruit. We ate at The Barn twice and had very tasty meals. My fillet mignon melted in my mouth! Pier 12 wasn't my favourite, but I don't like seafood much and the pasta I ordered wasn't to my taste, but I'm sure that if you like seafood that you could find something there to your liking. The only complaint that I had about the Shangri-la restaurant was that we were seated on the window side and the air conditioning was blowing on us all evening. Brrrrr! I don't think you could find better food at any all-inclusive resort anywhere. The bartenders were fantastic and would make you anything your heart desired and had many name brand liquors. The beach was wonderful and though the ocean was very rough but for one day, we still enjoyed being tossed around in the waves and body surfing. There was a lifeguard on duty just in case which is reassuring. We used the pool to wash off the salt from the ocean. The pool was incredible. It is freshwater and you can actually swim with your eyes open and don't get the chlorine sting like most pools. Towels and lounge chairs were always available. Katie and Lauren are incredible activities directors. Katie, especially is a hoot and watching the Tequila volleyball was most entertaining. The staff seemed to be constantly in motion from helping you carry your meal at the buffet to placing your napkin on your lap at the restaurants, to constantly sweeping the sand from the lobby, washing windows and on and on. It's obvious that they have been well trained and take pride in their work. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say, that if you're not pleased with this resort, you can't be pleased. I will certainly return to this resort as it was the relaxing getaway that I was craving. I'm sure it could have easily been a great party for me had I desired, because the other guests seemed to enjoy the evening entertainment and many partied heartily. Just a short note to Tammy and Greg from Alberta...."really enjoyed meeting you both and sorry we zoomed out of the airport so quick and never said goodbye. Hope you had a great trip home. All the best."

• Stayed: February 2005
33  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 4 March 2005

We just returned from the GCP our stay was from 2/25-3/2. I have recently stayed at the Palace resorts and had some reservations at staying at the GCP, especially after some of the reviews. My husband and I are near the 50 age group and went with a couple older then us and they have never done an All Inclusive before. I am happy to say I was not disappointed and neither were the people traveling with us. When we arrived it was pouring rain and GCP informed us that they were overbooked for the night and that we would be moving to another hotel. Not a good start to a trip! But we were told we would be getting an oceanfront room when we returned. That is all I needed to hear because I knew how hard it was to get those rooms. The hotel they sent us to was not as nice but our room was awesome, surrounded in windows, with a walk around balcony. We had the pool on one side and the ocean just below us. In the morning we had breakfast then went to GCP.

ROOMS, very clean, great view and l loved hearing the ocean at night. Yes, beds are hard but they are at the Palace resorts as well.

POOLS, no problem getting a chair or service. Great view. Pools are all close together so even if you are at the quiet pool you still hear all the noise from the middle pool. If we wanted quiet we went down to the beach.

BEACH, AWESOME!!! BEAUTIFUL, CLEAN, and that color is still implanted in my mind. No problem getting chairs or shade.

RESTAURANTS, very good for the most part. We enjoyed the Shangra-La and spent most of our evenings there. I will agree with a previous reviewer that some meals were excellent, and others you nibbled at. I always ordered the soups and they were outstanding. Stay away from the lamb. We enjoyed the ambiance of the Shangra-La, quiet, relaxing and getting dressed for dinner is our priority. We didn't like that you were only offered table wine and had to play extra for a choice of wines. At the Palace resorts you had a nice selection of wines to choose from for dinner. I always had enough to eat at the Shangra-La but my husband did not, he nicknamed it "two bites". My husband learned to go to the Pier 12 for shrimp in the late, late afternoon and then he would be fine for dinner at the Shangra-La later. The soup and shrimp we had at Pier 12 were very good. We ate at the Barn one night and we would not recommend that place at all. Steaks did not have any flavor, but they had plenty of other items on the menu. The Barn was very casual (some people came right over from the pool in their bathing suits) and very NOISY! The breakfast buffet was very good.

TIKI BAR, fun place and opened until 2:00am. Alfonso will take care of you during the day, and Jose will keep you laughing at night. You have to go sit at the Tiki Bar just for the fantastic view.

We took advice from other viewers and went to CoCoBongos and it is an experince of a lifetime!! It is hard to explain, but instead of seeing a circus you are part of the circus. We had a great time and so glad that we went.

Overall I was very pleased with GCP. I did think the Palace Resorts are nicer and better food, I think part of that is because the Palace Resorts are so big they can offer more. I think that GCP is a great deal for the money and if you go there you won't be disappointed. If you have any questions you can email me.

28  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Airdrie Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2005

My husband and I went to GCP ( Feb. 11- Feb.25) with friends to celebrate our 30th. anniversary and our 50th. birthday. It was wonderful from the moment that we entered the lobby to the time we had to leave. When we got home I thought I would read some of the reviews and was appauled at some of the negative reviews! Were they at the same hotel as we were? Or are some people just impossible to please? One person had the nerve to say that the people working there did not speak enough English! How much Mexican do you speak? Lets remember who's country we are in. We found that they all spoke pretty good English and we tried really hard to learn as much Mexican from them as we could.
Anyway, let me tell you about what we thought of GCP. From the moment we stepped foot in GCP, we were met be freindly and efficient people. We had asked for an ocean view and were not going to get it till about Tuesday or Weds. which was fine by us. I had mentioned to them that we were celebrating our 30th. anniversary and our 50th. birthdays. The manager Miguel took us up and showed us the honeymoon suite but we said we could wait. On our trip back to the lobby he filled us in on the history of the hotel and how far it had come. We were getting ready to change (our room would not be ready till 3:00) when Miguel came and told us he was going to have us taken to our rooms immediatly and they where ocean view rooms! This was all without a tip but believe me, we gave Miguel one after that!
Our room was great, yes the beds were hard but we knew that and brought an air mattress. The veiw was spectacular, the beach gorgeous and the pool was crystal clear. The food places were all great and we ate at them all many times. The service was warm and friendly eveywhere we went (except for the place where you bought bottled water, I will have to agree with that complaint but what the heck, not everyone is freindly all the time). The room and hotel was very clean.
To Carlos, Katie and Loren (the entertainment group), my hat goes off to you for your very long days. They would start at 7:30 AM and work till 11:00 PM or longer if they were taking people to the clubs. Someone said the shows were chessy! Good God, this is not Broadway! We enjoyed the shows very much. While we were there we saw dolfins & whales from the beach and saw a women being rescued by the ever watchful life guard. The bar guys where great and if your drink was not strong enough, just ask for a double!
Would we go back? In A MINUTE.

36  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2005

This is a overdue glowing review of the Golden Paradise Spa that we visited from Feb.11-21 of 2005. This is a first trip for both of us to Cancun all inclusive type of vacation and we were impressed greatly. From the first few steps into the polished foyer of the hotel with the hostess greeting us warmly serving us welcome drinks--Golden Crown Special--to the last day of our stay, the service was efficient and friendly. Our room though not ocean view was still very confortable, we certainly appreciated the cool temperatures after a day in the sun on the beach. We enjoyed all the restaurants--my boyfriend preferring the steaks at the Old Barn--particularly noting the hard working Auturo the head host of the resturant.-I preferred the Paradise buffet open for both breakfast and lunch for selection and the two restaurants Pier 12 and Shangri La first for sea food and the second for gourmet. Kudos to a hard working and friendly staff who made every effort to make our vacation enjoyable. I would love to visit again hopefully sooner then later--perhaps staying for a longer time this time.;=) I also want to note that the beach front view is incrediable from hotel... and all services are easily within walking distance.

Great Vacation and Kudos Again to well run hotel.

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 March 2005

We were at the Golden Crown 2-17 thru the 24th. We have been to at least 7 all inclusives, this one was probably the best. The size is what really made a difference, there are only 214 rooms. We have been to resorts that have had 600+ rooms, there were over a 1200 people there. This was small and not crowded and no small children.

The food was very good, you did not have to wait in line for anything, breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Yes, the beds were hard, but it was very clean, we had an oceanview and it was really nice.

In one review it said that the crowd were a bunch of fuddy duds, well you went on the wrong week, we had a bunch people who loved to party.

The beach was really nice, the ocean a little rough but we still went in. The pool was crystal clear and cold.

The drinks were ok, but ice cold.

The Old Barn was good, Shangri La was good and Pier 12 was good.

The buffets were the best. We did go out for dinner twice.

But overall the place was very nice, clean and great location.

We had met some really nice people, Linda and Rich from MI, and of course our "FUN GIRLS" Karen and Linda from Ottawa, Canada.

I would go back in a minute!!!

23  Thank moonoskid
Pittsburgh, Pa
Reviewed 28 February 2005

You just have to love this hotel. (except for the hard beds) It is a smaller hotel so everything is very convenient. You only have to walk a few steps for all your needs. The little shops in the lobby have just about everything you will need from water to lomotil. (which I did not need TG) It is a small hotel, but walk around and neb or you will miss a lot. Our visit was 2/13-2/20. Weather was great.

What I really liked was not having to make reservations at the restaurants. You could make your mind up at the last minute what you were hungry for then go for it. Liked the food at all the restaurants, but I liked the buffet the best. Three chefs there will cook what you desire. If you go to the Old Barn, get the barbecued ribs. (steaks are a little tough)

What I have not seen in any of these reviews is how to control Montezumas Revenge, if you are so unlucky to get it. I did not get it at this hotel and even drank the tap water. (which is not advised) Before you leave, have your doctor order you a prescription of Cipro and Lomotil. This will kill the bacteria and stop the runs and will not ruin you vacation.

There are also a few other tidbits I learned that you may email me if you wish. I included my email with my review if they print it. Have fun and enjoy this "ADULTS ONLY HOTEL" !!!!!!!!!!!! You will not want to leave. Also hi to Don & Tina & Dick & his crew. Enjoyed your company.

• Stayed: January 2005