“Second time around just as good if not better than first”

Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #55 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 15 March 2005

My husband and I just returned from GCP on Sunday 3-13-04 after a 10 day stay. This was our fifth year in Cancun, second year at the GCP.
This year we had another couple join us as last year we raved on and on about his resort.
They too, prior to leaving read reviews on this site and were
wondering how they could be so varied. After they arrived,
they were in awe.
Could not understand how anyone could say a bad word about
this place.
The Old Barn has improved its portions and quality of food
since last year ( even though last year it was good). The service, as always, is beyond excellent.
The beds are firm... but they are that way in every other hotel I have stayed at in Cancun. If they are too firm for your taste and you have a double bed room where one of the beds is not being used- take the sheets and blankets off the unused bed and alternate sheets and blankets- is softens it up.
For those of you headed for GCP in the near future, be sweet
to Jonathan ( new entertainment staff).
He had only been there a week when we arrived and he is trying
so hard to learn English. He is enthusiastic and eager to learn.
You will also enjoy the other entertainment staff of Carlos, Katie and Lauren. Their goal is to offer activities if you aren't one to just lay around in the sun all day. But if you are one of those ( as am I) they encourage for a minute and then move on. Though I never had to the heart to refuse Jonathan when he would ask me to participate (even in water aerobics). I always enjoy Tequlia Volleyball.
Alfansio is the ultimate when it comes to bartenders. Ask and you shall receive. Regino, Jose and Cesear are wonderful as well. Please tell them that Maria says "hello" and that her and Jerry will be back next year! Please tip these guys, as well as your maid and servers in the restaurants, they get paid so little and do soooo much!!! Also, hello to Dot and Mickey from Maine - don't forget to plan on the first week in March 2006- can't wait!
Nilia and David as well.
I think if you let go of all your expectations, be it big or small- you will not be disappointed. I love this place and all the people there - whether they be guests or staff!!!!
Mary (aka Maria) Mpls.MN

• Stayed: July 2005
16  Thank Ageless

Ann Arbor Michigan
Reviewed 15 March 2005

We stayed at the GCP 2-19-05 to 2-26-05 ,Was the best vacation ever.Beds were a little hard to sleep on,but everything else made up for it..We stayed in a crown club room on the six floor Ocean side,Wonderful few,Great waking up to the Ocean breeze....All the staff at the GCP are the best,never had such good service in our life..Thankyou GCP staff for makeing this our best vacation...Also it was great meeting Brian and Debbie from Chicago,and Dale and Debbie from Manitoba,Canada..Hope to see you all there next year...We will be booking our Vacation to the GCP FOR 2-18-06 Through 2-25-06 as soon as possible,can't wait to go back...Anyone looking for a great Vacation,this is the place to go!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 March 2005

Just returned from a 7 day stay at the GCPS...and although we enjoyed our vacation...we most likely will not return to this resort.

We arrived at 9pm on Sunday. There was no one there to greet a bus load of people and we all just wondered in with luggage in hand and confused. We were directed to have a seat at a table in a nearby lobby bar. We sat there waiting for the one front desk guy who was going table to table checking reservations. When he finally arrived at our table, he assigned us to room 205. Right there I knew it was a lagoon side room because only the even numbered rooms are oceanview. I asked him and he said there were no oceanview rooms available and that there was nothing he can do. I thought okay, let's at least see the room and try to enjoy the lagoon view.

We went to the room which had two double beds, a balcony overlooking a parking lot and tennis court. Way beyond thousands of feet away, we did see a slight glimpse of what appeared to be a body of water....this was the lagoon. It was late and we were hungry so we decided to go to the Old Barn Restaurant which was located right at the entrance. We ordered the steak and were pleased with the food and service. This restaurant had a country and western feel to it, and it was loud and not very busy.

We went back to our room and settled in for our first night. We noticed a large humming sound coming from somewhere every few minutes. We first thought it may be the elevators or air conditioning unit but it sounded more like a generator and it went on all night. It was extremley irritating and this was with the balcony doors closed. The next morning I went down to the front desk and asked for another room, preferrably an oceanview room and they said that we would have to wait until Tuesday. Not a problem. We could bare it for one more night. On Tuesday morning at about 11:30am we were assigned to room 520. We walked in and fell in love with it right away. We had the oceanview with a kingsize bed and a balcony that overlooked the three pools and tiki bar. Yes, the beds are hard and the sheets and towels are rough, but I enjoyed the firm mattress, and could bare the other.

We ordered room sevice a few times, and were impressed with the service. The food was okay. For breakfast and lunch, we always ate at the Paradise buffett. They had everything you can imagine for breakfast, and for lunch you had a choice of grilled burgers, hot dogs, steaks, fish, or chicken. They also had a variety of vegetables and rice, potatoes, and some other mexican dishes that were not identifiable. In the next section, you could order stir fry dishes to your liking, with beef, chicken, or seafood. You could also order fajitas and empandas, pizza, and various pastas. In the centre section, you had your salad selection where you would find various types of lettuce, tomatoes, onions and all the other salad garnishments. There was also a section devoted to fresh fruit....uhm the fruit was great! They also had hot soup, and a mini sushi bar. The dessert section had various pastries, jello, and ice cream. We had no complaints about the food here, but after several days, it did start to get boring.

For dinner, we tried Pier 12 and hated it! We normally love seafood, but this place was awful. We actually ended up cancelling the rest of our dinner as we were not happy with the first few dishes that they served. The appetizers and soup, and pasta sucked in this place and the lobster tasted dirty and gross! We thought that we end it off with dessert as they had my favorite creme brule...what a disappointment that was...it tasted more like a custard pudding with extra sugar. We were glad to find that both the Old Barn and Shangrila had various seafood dishes and they were ten times better than what Pier 12 was serving. We even found the waiters at Pier 12 to be a bit snobby. Needless to say, we did not return to Pier 12.

Shangri la was the restaurant of choice for our dinners. This place has an Arabic feel to it and the food was "fine dinning". We enjoyed it very much and the service was top notch. The desserts are to die for and you could ask for seconds anytime.

The Breeze Restaurant is open 24 hours and is located by the pool. It has finger foods like nachos, chicken wings, burgers, fries, etc... Not my favorite as most food sits in a heated dishes all day, and the burgers are dry, fries are heavy with grease, and the chicken nuggets are gross...but this was the only place open after hours so if you wanted a bite to eat, this was your only option.

I have nothing good to say of the entertainment that this resort offers. I found the Carlos guy to be pushy with a lot of attitude. The other guy was very friendly, and the two girls were alright. I just wish they wouldn't come around and interrupt your dinner trying to convince you to attend their nightly entertainment show.

The shows were a big joke. Very cheap, cheesy entertainment (if you want to call it that). We only went to two of the shows, and that was enough. The karaoke night was pitiful as the staff were not happy that there were no volunteers. They tried to get everyone drunk by forcing people to drink out of a bottle of tequila...the bottle was being passed from mouth to mouth...yuck! The gay guy named Carlos would go around to the tables and squirt tequila in peoples mouth. He actually singled me out for not clapping one night....little did he know that half the room was not clapping as the singers were not very entertaining. They were all staff members and they were making fools of themselves. If you were not drunk, you were not being entertained. A big joke and waste of my vacation time!

The other show we saw was the Millenium show. This was their tribute to music from the 50's, 60's 70's, 80's and 90's. It was more of an impersonation show. Again big joke, watching them do their impersonation of the Village People (Carlos the gay guy wearing a pink bikini with feathers) Cher, Diana Ross....again, if you were not drunk, it was not entertaining at all. We watched several people get up and walk out during the show. We decided that going back to the room and watching CNN would be more entertaining.

The Spa was interesting. In the men's locker room, you have access to a steamroom, sauna, jacuzzi, and showers. The gym and equipment were good. They also have a Medical Doctor on site. However, he charges $60 per hour. I went in there asking for advice on how to treat a bad sunburn and was shocked to hear the cost.

There is also a gift shop and jewellery store in the main lobby. The prices in the gift shop were reasonable. They also have a convenience store with various items. I found their prices to be a bit high.

We didn't get a chance to play mini golf but we did take pictures with the celebrity statues that they had around the golf course (I took a picture with Marilyn Monroe and Elvis).

They have a Business Centre where you have access to the internet, but it costs $2 every 15 minutes and the computer is very very slow.

The Beer Garden is a bar/disco that was always empty. They have a few pool tables in there and a dance floor. It is all taped music and was never busy.

You have to ask the front desk for a remote control and key for the room safe. There are ice machines in the stairway on each floor. If you want water, make sure you keep your bottles for refilling purposes. You can refill them at the cooler by the bar in the lobby, or go down to the gym area and fill up there.

The tiki bar was quite popular and busy every night until closing (2:00am). They have some great tropical fruit drinks that you can order at any of the bars try the Bahama Mama (banana, strawberry, rum) or the Miami Vice, or the Mudslide they were my favorites.

The jacuzzi outside by the pool was hot and nice, but we noticed green bubbles floating around (algae). The entertainment staff can get annoying as they are on the loud speakers trying to convince people to participate in the pool games. You can't get away from the noise unless you go down to the beach area. Try to find a hut at the end. They also have a nice waitress that comes around to take your order for drinks while on the beach.

The BEACH.....this is the resorts best feature! The water is beautiful the sandy beach is clean with white powdery sand. The flag was always red when we were there and this meant strong waves. We still went in but didn't venture very far. There is a lifegaurd on duty who will blow the whistle at you if he thinks you are going in to far. The waves were fun...they pound you really hard. We had a yellow flag for the last few days which meant caution. The water was calm, warm, and great for swimming. Again, this is the resorts best feature.

We were never around the pool area and were able to enjoy peace and quiet with a beautiful view of the ocean (it was nice that there were no screaming kids around). We never had a problem finding a chair at anytime of day...the huts go fast though so if you want shade, get there early!

Overall I rate this resort a 7.5

I will not stay here again only because I want to experience a different resort/location each time I go to Mexico. There are hundreds of resorts to try and life is short...why restrict yourself to the same experience? I heard that Breezes, or Rui Caribe is really nice and I am sure there are other resorts that stack up or are even better than GCPS. The selling feature for me this year was the "Adults Only" feature and GCPS did fullfill this requirement.

I am posting some pics that I took of the places that I mention above. I hope they are helpful and give you a good visual.

PS
Do not under estimate the effects of the sun....the sun is closer to you as Mexico is closer to the equator. As a result, you burn much easier and, or you get a richer tan...be careful and don't forget the sun block :)

cheers!

41  Thank car29
england/staffs
Reviewed 14 March 2005

I stayed at this hotel on the 2nd of march for a week, and it was the best holiday I have ever go on. I'm a travel agent from the uk and I was checking this site before I went to mexico, some of the reviews that people had wrote were just a joke. This hotel is very clean the rooms are a nice size with everything you need, the food is fab at all the restaurants, and the bars are very nice to. All the staff at this hotel are very friendly and always say hello.
When I was reading the reviews people kept saying you must tip or the staff are rude and wont serve you. This did not happen at anytime during our stay, we did tip but not all the time.
We did some great trips when we were there, we went horse back riding and the horses went into the water it was a fab experience and it only cost about £30.00. We also went on a bar crawl but it was so busy you couldn't get to bar to get a drink, I would not do a trip like this again because it is expensive and you dont get your moneys worth.
The hotel is in a nice location its about a 3 min walk to the bus stop. If you take a bus into cancun hold on with your life they race other buses and cars they are mad drivers, but its very cheap.
The best shopping centre is LA ISLA it has nearly every shop there you can think of.
I would come back to mexico again its lovely the weather is nice and the people there are fantastic.

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 March 2005

We (two couples) stayed at the Golden Crown from March 1 to 8th. This is absolutely the best resort we have ever stayed in! You should not have any reservations about booking a holiday at this resort. Majority of people were in the 33 to 58 age group with a handful from 22 to 32; and a few older.

We had asked for ocean view and because they were full, we were given lagoon on the 5th floor. What a wonderful view of the lagoon and incredible sunsets! We were there for 2 nights and then moved across the hall to an ocean view. The only draw back on the lagoon rooms, is that for the smaller # rooms, you will hear an air conditioner(?). We were in room 523 and it wasn't bad. I actually considered keeping the room as the view is really magnificent! (but I also wanted to hear the ocean at night)

What we liked:

greeted with a drink and a cool facecloth when you arrive
friendly staff
lovely, clean rooms with ceramic floors
no extra charge for a safe/key
beautiful lobby and bar
drinks made with blenders, to order
top name brands for the liquor
lots of seafood and variety available
the 3 ala cartes and buffet were all excellent (be sure to try them all)
no one in our group was sick
lots of bottled water containers throughout the resort
great, fun activity staff
clean pool and refreshing water temperature
great beach
basically, walk in for dinner (no reservations needed or lineups!)
music at the pool was really good!
always find a chair by the pool or on the beach
a good half hour walk to 2 great malls
15 minute walk to Aqua World for kayaks, paddle boats (free)
room service (we played scrabble and called down for 4 beer!)
it was never too loud at night
if the restaurant was too cool, the staff gladly turned down the air
drinks were not strong
red wine did not give me a headache
bicycle tour was fun (new bikes)
water and beach volleyball every day (did not get to yoga)
walk the beach for hours in both directions
beach was cleaned every day
always keeping up the hotel (new stairs made to beach, painting etc)
wait staff down at the beach and by the pool
hotel just off the main drag, so quieter (especially for lagoon view)
good size pool area for the size of the hotel
staff in charge frequently asked you how everything was

Others have commented on the hard beds - hard but fine - not a negative in my opinion!

We had friend stay at larger, far more expensive hotels whose experience did not come close to ours.

We loved Cancun and especially this amazing resort (keep up the good work!) and would definitely return!

Have a great holiday!

19  Thank Morjohn
Beecher, Illinois
Reviewed 13 March 2005

We researched a lot of places to stay in Mexico. I was not sure about how it would be, but the GCP was the best reort I have EVER stayed at. Everything was amazingly clean ALL the time. There were so many choices for dining. The staff was great, they attended to your every need, and overall, it was the best experience I ever had. We met a lot of great people, and I recommend this resort to anyone going to Cancun. I would love to go there every year, and wouldn't change a thing. I can't figure out any of the bad reviews. It makes no sense to me. The main thing, adults only and no spring breakers. Oh and Hi back at ya Trish and John, it was great meeting you.

• Stayed: January 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Moore, OK
Reviewed 11 March 2005

This was our first trip to Cancun. Had read some bad reviews, but our son and daughter-inlaw told us to ignore them and have a good time. This is their favorite and now it is ours. Great service - from room service to any of the restaurants, we tried them all except the Shangri-la - One of the cleanest places we have stayed at. Everyone was so friendly. and we cannot say enough about Perfecto - the bartender in the main lobby. Makes a killer Margarita. Ladies - get a hot stone massage - awesome. Beds were not as hard as I have heard - but matter of choice. The views were spectacular from anywhere at the resort. and try the put-put - talk about a challenge - especially after a few drinks. Met a lot of great people from all over. We are already planning another trip!!!

• Stayed: April 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort
Grand Oasis Palm
Grand Oasis Palm
#47 of 177 in Cancun

Been to Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun? Share your experiences!