“GONE DOWNHILL”

Ranked #47 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Berlin, New Hampshire
“GONE DOWNHILL”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

I've been coming back to this resort since 1999. This is the first time I have been so disappointed with them. Our bathroom shower and tub were not functioning properly. 1/2 the water pressure was coming out of the showerhead and the other half of the tub at the same time. The food was great every meal. I drink Kaluha and milk at home, so I wanted to drink it here. Everytime I would ask specifically for Kaluha, I would get some gross tasting coffee brandy. I tried at the 2 different bars and got the same awful drink. I also felt bad when I got a pedicure and the a/c was leaking in the chair and no one knew. I sat in the big puddle and it looked like a wet myself. THe woman handled it gracefully and I was very happy with the service. No bags in the waste paper baskets, felt unsanitary. I usually recommand this place, but I don't think I will ever again. I will try some place else. I feel sorry for the employees. THe a/c was not cool enough, our friends room was so much cooler it was hard to get to sleep.

Room Tip: Up grade to a Junior suite, better veiw.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Rita G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,162)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Englewood, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

“Never ever stay at this resort”

Emailed 5 times my request and also asked represent of Chip Caribbean to forward my email request but never received conformation or any response. Didn't get anything special for our honeymoon and birthday.

We just got back. We love Riu resorts Just not this one! The resort was outdated the staff need to be trained the management needs to be replaced we had a terrible experience. The food buffets were the same every day no selection or variety. “Bring your own air conditioner!!” We were only 7 minutes late for check out and our room was automatically locked. No cooperation from the staff. We have to pay fee for all day to unlock our door to get our stuff from room. We asked for manager and essentially she took no responsibility and was completely un-sympathetic. She was also rude and didn't care at all when I told her of my complaints. And almost missed our transportation and our flight because we were told what our transportation was at 1:50pm but rep from Olympus left note at front desk for 1:30pm pick up time at last minute.

You don´t get the nicest beach in terms of space, or the nicer water color that other parts of Cancun have. The weather was perfect. No complaints about mother nature . The 3 restaurants, Asian, Mexican and Steakhouse were major disappointments. Sangria-la was the worst, reminding me of the Panda Express at the airport. Steaks give your jawbones a good workout. The entertainment is very cheap and poor in the evening and the late bar and been turned into a sports bar with no music. So after about 10pm there wasn’t much to do but drink and talk. No top shelf alcohol, only domestic.

We would not recommend the resort and the hotel to all. Just don’t stay here trust me!” “Spend the extra money or even for same price stay at a Riu Palace.”

7 Thank Alexandre B
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I traveled to the Riu Caribe on April 22-29 to celebrate my birthday with 9 other of my friends. As soon as we arrived and checked into our rooms on the ground floor (rooms 091, 093, 095, 096) We left our stuff on the bed and went straight for dinner. By the time I got back to my room 2 hours later, my carry on was stolen, 2 new pairs of shoes, my watch, cell phone, wallet, 6 pairs of sun glasses and 30 dollars. The thief broke into my locked suitcase and went through everything in a hurry, lucky enough they didn't find my passport or my money. The thief then went through the back door and left it wide open. I alerted my other friends and every one of their rooms had the back door unlocked. I firmly believe the cleaning maid on duty came into every room and unlocked all the back doors on purpose for someone to come in and steal as much as they can.

I reported this to the front desk staff and of course they did not do anything about the matter. They told me that if the items were not in the safe they were not responsible. I asked how they expected me to fit an entire carry on into my little safe! After arguing back and forth one of the security guards came to investigate my room and write a report. The front desk had no answers for me, and of course the manager on duty was conveniently tied up the entire week I wanted to speak to them.

The next day our group of 10 went to the pool we all locked our doors, one friend even jammed a chair between the backdoor and the wall so no one can come through. When we got back to the room at lunch all the back doors were again unlocked and the chair was moved. At this point I was so livid that I went back to the front desk and told them off. Again they had no answers for us, but after this altercation there were no other incidents in any of the rooms.

When I went to the desk to check out on our final day the front desk staff handed me a bill for 400 pesos (40 dollars) for telephone charges! I had to call my credit card company and cell phone provider to cancel my services the day my items were stolen. I refused the pay the bill not because I couldn't afford it, but because it was the principle. I had over 1000 dollars worth of stuff stolen from my room, I was not compensated whatsoever and they still wanted to charge me 40 dollars in phone charges. I argued with the front desk staff and requested a manager ASAP, but of course the manager was not around. After 40 minutes of arguing I was forced to pay the charges or I would have missed my bus to the airport. I have never experienced such terrible customer service from any other resort.

Other than this incident everything else was excellent. I managed to not let this ruin my birthday week. I had an amazing time but the managers will definitely be hearing from me shortly.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank Ryan L
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

The Riu Caribe is fantastic! The food was good, the people friendly and professional, the grounds immaculate, the room cleaned everyday, even the pool & beach games were silly and fun. Cancun is fantastic! White, powdery san beaches, turquoise water - what more could you ask for? We were in the Midwest blues when we arrived but left with a clear mind and nice tan! Highly recommend a Riu resort. We trucked down to the Riu Cancun (only an 80 peso ride away). Nice...thinking about staying there next time...because there certainly will be a next time. Go! and Enjoy!

Room Tip: Our room was on side of entertainment. We didn't move. It wasn't that loud. Ask for the e...
1 Thank Chi-townRose
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Caribe and loved every minute of it.Our room (431) looked over the palm trees & pool to the ocean. The room was spacious and the bathroom walk in shower top class with maid cleaning daily.
The food in the buffet restaurant was spectacular and fantastic quality with choices to suit every taste so much so that we only ate once at one of the speciality restaurants as we were fully satisfied with the buffet.The waiting staff in the restaurant were attentive without being overbearing.We also had pizza from the bar near the pool which were freshly made to your requirements.There was the morning rush for sunbeds around the pool but you could always get a bed on the beach which we preferred.There was drinks service both on the beach and around the pool so if you didn't want to you didn't have to move! Definitely a perfect stay!

Room Tip: Above the 4th floor so your view isn't restricted by the palm trees. We were just high enough in...
4 Thank JANE2528
wirral
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

while staying at this hotel, we noticed a strong smell coming from the eating area & Steak restaurant . This restaurant is near the swimming pool. and has toilets at the side of the bar. so basically the stench was coming from a large area. toilets and eating area.The walls in the toilet were cleaned but the smell remained there.the toilets were blocked on a number of occasions.
we noticed the staff cooking in that area did not use gloves when any occasion when handling food. I watched a cook going to the toilet, with his uniform and apron. he returned to the kitchen , and continued cooking. doubt if he washed his hands. This steak restaurant was used all day for breakfast dinner then evening meal. It was more like a bird sanctuary than a restaurant. as many birds seaguls and many other birds flew into the eating area. landing on tables eating any food left on the tables. leaving such a mess. some customers encouraged the birds by leaving food on the table.the staff were not quick to remove any plates.

3 Thank scouce
rochester, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

This was our second stay at Riu Caribe. And we are planning to return next year. We love the staff, management, and the beach.

• Stayed March 2012