“Great vacation, great price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Caribe

Hotel Riu Caribe
Ranked #44 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Montreal, Canada
“Great vacation, great price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

We have just returned from the Riu Caribe in Cancun. We stayed end of July to beginning of August 2012. This is our first time with Riu and won`t be the last! We really enjoyed our time and would recommend the resort without hesitation. Here are the pros and cons in a nut shell.
PROS:
- Hotel is extremely clean.
- Rooms are very clean, we had the junior suite
- Staff is amazingly friendly. Always there to help and you feel this through their efforts and smile which is truly genuine.
- Food was very good with a good variety even at the buffet. It didn't have goulash (mud) and oatmeal every day.
- Drinks were good with a great variety introducing a drink of the day.
- Beach is very accessible and there were enough chairs for everyone
- very good entertainment at the pool.
- Pool is excellent for adults AND children, our 6yr old son just loved it
- restaurants were very good. We tried the Shangri-la Asian... YUMMY! and the steakhouse also YUMMY, but we preferred (slightly) the Asian... MUST TRY their fried ice cream for dessert, honestly, don`t miss it it is really worth it.
- cleaning lady made my son extremely happy by making an animal from towels every day... again always with a beautiful genuine smile

CONS:
- entertainment was way too late. 9:45 PM every night, this is too late as my 6 yr old son was sleeping at that time. Riu needs to change that.
- reserving the restaurants was tricky, you had to reserve from 7am - 11:00 for the next day... we couldn't get a restaurant for our last night so we stood by at night and checked of there were any cancellations, the lady wouldn't let us go even though the restaurant was booked about at 40% of it's capacity... that was unacceptable, so I spoke to the restaurant manager: Manuel, who gladly helped us out to go eat... thanks Manuel!
- beds were a little uncomfortable, squeaky sound of a plastic cover on the mattresses and we felt them tilt to one side... on both beds, so my husband and I couldn't share the same bed because you would have the feeling of falling off.
- Not enough umbrellas to have some shade on the beach or pool. Although there are a lot, I still feel that more was needed because it was really hot!

Special thanks:
James at the lobby. He really helped us out with a great smile!
Manuel, the restaurant manager who helped us when we didn't have a reservation.
Silvia the cleaning lady on the 4th floor for making my son's day by simply making animals out of towels... what a really nice lady!

so that is it. Hope this helps anyone who might need a little hand in making a reservation at the Riu Caribe.

I really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,148)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

Ok so my wife and I got a last minute deal to cancan for a weekend. Price was great so couldn't resist. When we landed we took a tour bus to Riu Caribe, big mistake. It took us over an hour and a half from the time we got to the bus to get tithe hotel, when it would have been the same price to hire a taxi to take us to the hotel in twenty minutes. So we arrive at the hotel at 9pm after landing at 6:30. The desk personel were great and explained the whole layout of the resort and directed us to our room. We dropped off the bags and went down to the buffet restaurant and it reminded me of a cheap country buffet. Oh well we though and strolled the resort then off to bed.

The next day I tried to sign us up for one of the exclusive restaurants but they were already booked from the day before. This is a great thing because when we were able to get to the "Steakhouse" it was far worse than the buffet restaurants. So we had breakfast then went out to the beach where the staff of waiters were very friendly and always checking up on us to make sure we had drinks. The aquatic staff was also great in getting people together to have a good time.

Like I stated before the resort rooms were great, the beach was beautiful, and the staff took great care us but, the food was some of the worst I've ever had.

Room Tip: Do not waste your money on the spa. No real locker rooms, steam room or hot tub. No worth the money.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Smorenzens
Fishkill, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel from 7/25 to 8/1. It was my family's first time to Cancún and we were a party of 8. The entertainment staff was AMAZING. They were so funny and creative, especially Juan who made me feel very welcomed! He took the time to remember my name. There were alot of pool activities like volleyball and they had crazy games everyday which were always funny. The water polo did get violent at times. There was also bingo which was with DJ Cruz who was also very nice! Even though I got my prize 5 days later. The food was good, with 3 restaurants we needed to make reservations early for. The steakhouse is located outside so it is kind of noisy when trying to eat. The buffet was very nice with great food for breakfast and dinner. The service staff was always very helpful and friendly! Especially Antonio, Jose and Charly. The two bars in the lobby had nice workers especially Gerrardo who also remembered my name. The kids club was okay I did not check it out but they had fun dance games at night for the kids. At night the entertainment shows were funny because you never knew what to expect. They are overall family friendly. The front desk staff was also friendly especially Angel who welcomed us when we checked in. The only disadvantage is no air conditioning in the lobby or hallways or elevator. Kind of disappointing. There were beautiful views of the ocean, but I did not go down there much because it was very hot. The pool chairs were very hot even when in the shade. There were plenty of them though. I was very sad to leave this hotel and go back to my normal life!! Definitely coming back!

Prince George, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

This was my first time to Cancun and I wasnt sure what to expect but my visit here was nothing short of amazing. The hotel was clean, beautifully decorated and the staff was excellent. The room was clean and well stocked and the view was amazing. I'm not a party person and I expected it to be crazy with young people looking to party but it wasnt at all. At certain times of day they had activities for the guest either outside or indoors and we had a ball. The restaurants all had delicious food. The grounds were well keep, the 3 pools were blast to hang in. We meet several nice couple that were guest there to and we all just clicked. It was like one big happy family. At night the snack bar was there to scratch your itch. At a certain time of night they dim the lobby lights and you can sit in the lobby and relax. I love the mix they have between the indoors and outdoors with the way the structure is built. The only and only negative I have is, the mosquitos there r evil creatures that should be destroyed. I counted around 79 bites in total. The opennes in structure is beautiful but not when your scratching all day due to being eaten like crazy. But other than that it was great and I'd deff stay here again.

Room Tip: Ocean view is amazing
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tdoug12
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

A man broke into our room our last night there at 4:30 in the morning!!!!
A report was not made at that night because we did not want to startle our daughters. They woke up but didn't know there had been a man in our room. My husband woke up to the mans rubbery sneakers making a sound and saw him walking towards the bed. The man paused when he saw my husband lift his head and look his way and ran out. As my husband ran to see where he was going out of the balcony door, he saw him running away, in a path my husband described as a way too familiar path for the man. We suspect he can either be an empoyee or someone who for sure has visited the hotel many many times.
DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! Up until then, we had a great experience, the staff was friendly, the hotel was nice, and clean. The lobby would benefit from AC, the the food was just ok. Some dishes were good, some were terrible, but overall not bad. The pool is nice and a great beach location. BUT the security is an issue. That event without a doubt left us scared and never willing to return to Riu Caribe again. If that had not happened, we would go back for sure and recommend to friends. The next morning we reported it. They did apologize, but didn't seem to really care or be too concerned.

Room Tip: All of the balconys have a connecting walking path that you can easily walk onto and EASILY walk o...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
14 Thank sfmuchacha
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012 via mobile

our check in was a little confusing but Sergio got it straighten out. our room was huge with a spectacular view from the top floor, the only problem with the room was it wasn't one of the updated rooms the a.c. wasn't very good & the phone didn't work but we weren't in the room much so it didn't bother us and they gave us a fan to help. All of the staff were very friendly & very hard working always non stop and always smiling. Angels smile was the best :) . The pool & beach area were great they even brought drinks to you on the beach ... The food was okay. The hotel is a short wild bus ride to town for $1.00. Overall we had an excellent experience & will definatly go back!

4 Thank philsumr
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

Had an amazing stay at the riu caribe! Lovely pool area and a free coach to the nightclubs every night! Only thing to fault is the evening buffet but me and my friend just at riu cancun which is a short bus ride away!

3 Thank Krororo91