“Second time around”
Review of Hotel Riu Caribe

Hotel Riu Caribe
Ranked #45 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 16 September 2012

This was the second time in 12 months that my wife and I had traveled to this resort. The first time we went the resort it was under renovation but we had such a great time we tried to return with extended family in May. Due to the reconstruction we had to book at the Riu Cancun (see my May review). We were finally able to find accommodations for our September holiday. We were a bit shocked to find the renovation had taken out the greenery and turtles that inhabited the lobby but the renovation added much needed space and another lounge/bar area. It seems as if Riu is trying to make their properties look like the boutique hotels that are starting to pop up in metropolitan areas worldwide. Still unsure about the route they are taking since most people go to Cancun to enjoy the beach and or Mayan/Mexican culture. The retro modern 60ish décor (suppose ably Mexican Artist Frida Kahlo inspired) seems out of place and more akin to a Flash Gordon movie set. With the retrofit they should have made the lobby air-conditioned this would have allowed for greater comfort. Incidentally the Riu Peninsula Palace next door is decorated the same way but has an air-conditioned lobby.
The rooms have changed a great deal. They are now decorated in blue and white with appropriate beach scenes as pictures. Gone are the old tube TV’s replaced by new flat screens. The bathrooms have been remodeled as well. Tubs are taken out in favor of large showers and double sinks. It seems that some rooms have a frosted glass partition that separates the room from the bathroom normally acceptable - this allows the person in the bedroom to see what the person in the bathroom is doing -hope you’re not shy. Also the sliding door to the balcony did not lock this might pose a security risk.
Food has changed little between the Riu Caribe and Cancun - pizza, hamburgers, hotdogs are available as well as local Mexican fare, fish, pork and chicken. The specialty restaurants are only difficult to get into if you wake up after 11am. The Asian restaurant is buffet similar to what you would find in the U.S. with fewer choices. Keep in mind these restaurants give you service not more choices - the food is good but there is typically only 3 to 4 dishes offered, check the menus posted outside the restaurant. These seem to be the same every night at all properties. This hotel has a pizza bar that makes fresh pies from noon to about 6pm. One point of service I did not like is the table cloths not being changed for breakfast or lunch this was unacceptable and gross to have to sit at a table that had food stains at it.
There are now two pools but if you want the best seats reserve them by 8am. The quiet pool is nice because it is next to the pizza bar has shaded loungers and seems to have less of a “sun tan oil slick” during peak occupancy. The beach is nice with loungers but is small and may have sea weed washed on it if there is a storm. The staff tries to keep it clean. There is a small sunken pier to the right of the property that has an abundance of fish to see if you like to snorkel. Keep in mind this is a European owned Hotel chain so it in not uncommon to see topless sunbathers.
It was our anniversery the hotel included a bottle of wine which was nice.
Overall this was an excellent trip and I would recommend the hotel they just need to keep the table cloths clean this lead to an average rating.

2  Thank Travelguymichigan
Write a ReviewReviews (7,670)

Reviewed 14 September 2012

Well, I must start with saying I did enjoy my time at the riu caribe. It had everything you could possibly want available. The main things that stood out to me as quite bad where firstly the attitudes of some of the staff(not all mind), I initially put this down to cultural differences, but the more staff I met didn't support this as some staff were extremely pleasant and couldn't help you enough, while some were pretty arrogant and obnoxious!
Secondly the gym.... Well it was not in very good condition at all with equipment in a very tired state.
Thirdly the restaurants.... The steak restaurant was a brilliant change, especially as you were waited on, while the Chinese and Mexican were just self service, and fairly pointless as the main buffet restaurant did theme nights in Chinese and Mexican which by far exceeded what you cold get in the theme restaurants. The sports bar had plenty of screens yet seemed to only show a couple of American sports.
On the upside, the food in general is brill, the pool and entertainment staff were brill, for all ages. It was never a hassle or trouble to get anything. The beach was very clean and water was beautiful.
Not far to get into town on the buses as a stop is just outside the door. Nice atmosphere in most areas of the hotel, rooms very spacious and airy,
I know it might read like a so so review, but I must conclude in saying I would return to the riu caribe, I just feel that it's something good that could potentially be great.

Room Tip: Try to get a sea/pool view
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Karl B
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Was unsure when we booked by some of the reviews.. But we had a great time. All the staff were wonderful and ver attentive and helpful! Drinks and Pool were great! Entertainment staff by the pool was fun and entertaining along with the nightly shows. Steak Restraunt was great all the other food was good I would give it a 3 out of 5 but anything you want on the buffet...
To get dinner reservations you have to go down at 7 and reserve dinner for the next 2 nights defiently get there at 7... Rooms were very up to date and bright.. I thought the bed was comfortable we didnnt get a kings size but that was fine.. Myonly complaint woul dhave to be is that my husband and I enjoy working out on our vacation and the workout machines werent that good.. More than half of them didnt work or didnt work to full function... Would recommend this hotel for a nice resonable get away! would defiently return!

4  Thank adr87
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I am returning for my 5th time in 3 years. Once you find a wonderful hotel like this you will never stay anywhere else in Cancun. The bartenders, house keeping staff and waiters are great. The food is great, especially breakfast and the fish out by the pool bar. Me and my husband loved it so much we have taken our kids there and last time even took my cousin and her hubby with. we highly recommend this hotel. The beach there is beautiful and large. even though we prefer the beach the pool is awesome too. Go to the flea market in town Coral negro. great stuff, great people and great deals. Do not pass up the chance to also eat at Carlos and charlies, great food and great people. Go to Senor frogs, its a must. I cannot say enough about this hotel. We have never had one problem there. They refilll the mini fridge daily, they go out of their way for you in every way. stop looking at reviews and book at Riu Caribe. We stayed there November 2009, August 2010, January 2011 and November 2011. and I already have my next trip booked, spending my anniversary there. no better place.

Room Tip: Stay in Junior suite, best view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lucky072807
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We had been to Mexico many times and the Riu Caribe had the best beach we had the pleasure of being on so far! There is snorkeling at the south end of the Riu Caribe resort where the resort borders the Riu next door. The pool on south end was the best place to be if you wanted a more relaxed and quiet time in the pool. I was suprised at how warm the pool was! In my opinion this resort has much to offer. The beach was REALLY nice and you could walk right into the water. The only thing negative were the steps at the one section. The shower was hard to get to and the steps were a bit dangerous so you had to be careful. I think the resort should look into that and make the shower at the beach a little easier to get to. The bathrooms were a little out of the way also. The food was better than most resorts we've been to. You can always count on the Riu for good food. I found the buffet better than the restaurants. My husbands favorite was the Asian Resturant. Our view was ocean view but we were on the 7th floor on the north side of the resort and we only had a side view, which was nice also. The staff was friendly and some of the waiters more so than others. It is what you make it. We go to have fun and that's what we had! The beds are too firm for me but that is the status quo at most of the resorts. I would gladly go to this resort again. Do not miss the chance to check this resort out because of negative reviews. The entertainment is a hit or miss depending on what you like. My favorite was the show "Grease". The positive far out ways any negative at this resort; and there were barely any negatives, I am trying to be fair that is the only reason I mentioned any negatives. The Riu Caribe ranks in our top three places we have been so far, with the beach ranking #1!

Room Tip: side view not as nice as front view. Higher up, the better the view. The lower you were, easier ac...
2  Thank KIMBERLY A
Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 14 nights with husband and 2 daughters aged 17&25.

Staff. Cannot do enough for you, they are so helpful, friendly and attentive.

Food. Good choice with themed nights. Avoid Thai and Mexican restaurants they are not all that and you need to book early to get a table and this is done from 7-11 am outside main eating area. Steak house was good and by far the best of the three. Pizzeria open by pool during daytime is nice. Non alcoholic cocktails are delicious.

sports bar open 24 hours with snacks poll tables bar and Internet.

Grounds . Immaculate and well tended by hard working staff

Pools. Two pools, large one v noisy with games and music, smaller one by pizzeria relaxing with mobile bar with staff serving drinks poolside which was lovely.

Reception. Quick efficient check in and staff continued to be of help throughout stay. Nothing was too much probl for them.

Rooms. Clean and well presented with two large single beds, large shower room with toilet and double basin. Fridge re stocked daily with pepsi 7up and water.

Transport. Buses are best way to travel and go from outside hotel every few mins. No 2 goes toast places of interest and cost about 40p !!! Very reliable and drivers will let you know when to get off. We travelled day and night and felt very safe.

Places of interest. We bused to la Isla which is a shopping centre but it's outside and has many stores plus planet Hollywood, hooters, senor frogs , mc Donalds, Hagen das so lots to eat. Lots of photo opportunities with characters such as the mask,willy wonka, spiderman and the cookie monster. Within la Isla is an aquarium where we paid approx £70 each to swim with dolphins inc photo. Was amazing and would recommend

Beach. Beautiful with plenty of sun loungers and bar tenders on beach. No charge for beds and plenty available.

All in all an enjoyable holiday only thing that let it down was noise that echoes throughout the hotel at night. Americans were very noisy shouting and screaming down halls until 6 am very drunk and playing loud music. I felt the hotel should have addressed this as they must have been aware of the commotion as the hotel was so open. Would stay again though. Hope this helps. Enjoy

• Stayed: August 2012
9  Thank mymead
Reviewed 9 September 2012

My husband and I came here because we heard rui resorts were very nice and I caught a good deal online. The food was so so. We disliked the Mexican the most, Asian was ok, and the steakhouse was our favorite. The pool area was large and had plenty of loungers. The bartenders were all very attentive and served drinks quickly. Our room was very nice on the surface with a nice bathroom which included dual sinks! The BIG issue I had was the bed felt like sleeping on springs and I woke up every morning with soreness in my hips and back! I'm not sure if we just got a dud but I don't think I would go back to this rui but I would definitely try another one!

• Stayed: September 2012