“First Mexican Resort”

Ranked #47 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Hebron, Connecticut
“First Mexican Resort”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Overall, I was very happy with our stay at the Riu Caribe. We walked into our room one afternoon to find a whole team of people doing a quality inspection - we were taken aback at first but appreciated it when later a maintenance guy came to secure the lock on our balcony door.

The resort was clean, the staff was friendly, the pool/beach were sublime, and the food was what one would expect of resort food. We made sure to make reservations for the three specialty restaurants our first morning there and weren't disappointed. The Japanese restaurant had the best dessert (fried ice cream) and the steakhouse was overall the best (the steak was PERFECT and it was so nice to eat outside).

The "liquor dispenser" they have in the room is literally a few bottles of liquor turned upside down with a spigot attached. It's also clearly not straight liquor, which is to be expected from an all-you-can-drink resort. The drinks at the bar were also very watered down or sugary, so that got old really quick.

This was my first time in Mexico and overall, I really enjoyed the experience. I felt safe at the Riu Caribe and had a great time.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank LizaMae2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,172)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Darien, Illinois
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The hotel is fairly large, in that there very many rooms; however, they continually tried to keep people entertained, from the poolside activities to the nightly entertainment on stage. The pool itself is an OK size for the size of the resort, but it can get a bit crowded. Same goes for the beach; in fact, on our first day, the staff started a soccer game with a goal right in front of me. Guess what? I had to move after the ball hit me the second time. The beach area does have a really cool area off to the right with large boulders that looks nice and is nice to "play on". The rooms were very clean and fairly spacious. The décor is better than some of the other Riu's we stayed at which was a pleasant surprise. The biggest complaint I had (and I think I read it in reviews before we left) was that they don't have many specialty restaurants, and they aren't all open each day. We never got to each at any of the restaurants because they were booked solid. However, they're buffet is actually pretty good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChutTheGuy
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I have totally fallen in love with Mexico. From arriving at the airport til the day we left everyone was so helpful and friendly, often going above and beyond!
This is the 4th time we've stayed in a "Caribbean" Riu and it was all we expected and more.
The rooms have been refurbished in white and blue ( a world away frome the wood in our previous hotels), see view, comfy beds, excellent walk in shower and a fully stocked minibar (always a bonus :)). The Food - the buffet restaurant has something for everyone from chicken nuggets to paella! A lot of grilled meat and fish and a variety of sauces/ gravy, I was in spicy heaven - the chilli was to die for - my partner is the opposite and thoroughly enjoyed the fish dishes! Of the a la carte restaurants, we only tried the steakhouse which surpassed all the others in previous Riu hotels, my steak was cooked to perfection! And a beautiful setting thrown in! Aldo the Thomson rep was brilliant, really informative and full of local knowledge and useful tips. There are 2 pools the main pool is a hive of activity, sometimes loud but never intrusive and always good for a laugh, the second is away from the main hub while the beach is literally a few steps away, with white powdery sand and the beautiful caribbean sea. There are plenty of loungers wherever you decide to settle and no need to worry about treking to the bar, there is always somone on hand to bring you another margarita or daiquiri!!
I have come to expect a good level of service whenever I stay in a Riu, but the service here was another level. The staff are always cheerful and ready to have a laugh but remain attentive, the animation team, well they must run off duracell batteries, they never stop, little kids games, big kids games (hangovers - no excuse), aquarobics, beach conga, dancing lessons, ping pong ..... But the overall surprise for me was that the Brits (who tend to tip at the end of their stay) were never overlooked in favour of the americans (who tip as they go)!!!
Beyond the hotel (why would you???), about half an hour walk away from nightlife and restaurants but the buses are cheap and run frequently. Thomsons offer a variety of excursions, which no doubt can be booked externally for less, which I have often done - but we booked the Candlelit dinner cruise through Thomson, on the night we were due to go it rained, lots, we could still have gone but obviously we wanted to enjoy the views so Aldo arranged for us to change to another night, had we booked with one of the touts we wouldnt have been able to do that (unless the boat wasnt sailing)! Our next attempt was successful, and well worth the money - barbecued lobster and steak, pina coladas, JD and a beautiful sunset - and exceptional service on board.
I could ramble on forever, but I wouldnt be saying anything different than the other reviews - probably the best thing would be for you to go and have a see for yourselves, you wont be disappointed!

8 Thank Angie C
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My Dream holiday far passed my expectations at this wonderful hotel, The views location and staff were amazingly friendly. The rooms was so clean with lovely decor and the walk in shower was superb for me as I have back problems. The entertainers at the hotel were Amazing, so talented funny and friendly and just made my holiday complete, Paris had me in stitches most of the time, not knowing what he was going to dress up in or do next, Crazy Caesar kept me fit in the pool at water aerobics and again just made me laugh,Kiki just made me smile all day with his cheeky smiles and comments, Jesus Kept the crowds in the pool along with the other guys and the 2 young ladies looking after the children all day were amazing too. It was apparent that all of them loved the children and the children loved them. A trip to Coco Bongo's, Captain hook is an absolute must and the Dolphin discovery in Isle Mujeres is wonderful too. Some advice would be don't automatically book with the REP's for trips as I found that we could of done things cheaper. All in all a fantastic holiday for everyone if you want to relax or have fun, I did both. gracias a mis amigos en el rui caribe, echo de menos a todos.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Lynda N
Chesterfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I cannot express in words how much we enjoyed the 2 week stay we have just had there. They could not have any more for us if we had begged them. I will try and sum it up in sections. Only the Yanks tipped regularly as the British tipped at the end of their stay. I tried to tip and the Bar man said, No Sir, tip me when you leave and only if I was good!!!! I then went round on my last day tipping everyone with my left over Peso's.

The Lobby - Massive with two Bar areas and plenty of friendly table service and extras. 90 minutes per day, per appliance of Internet time FREE. Small staged area with daily entertainment which was ideal for chilling out. This was not Air Conditioned but had plenty of fresh air and fanned units.

Keep an eye out for the Free Cocktail Aperatif's available each night in the Lobby

The Staff - All were professional and very helpful from the cleaners, to the Waiters and Managers. On my wife's Birthday the Cleaner must have seen her Cards as we had a note pushed under the door wishing her a Happy Birthday and pleasant stay.
Room - Sea View, Spotless, immaculate, roomy, Air conditioned, well looked after. Two Double Beds, Twin Sinks and Walk in Shower Room. Well stocked Mini Bar restocked every two days automatically.

The Main Pool - Cleaned constantly, spacious with lots of in pool loungers and a long Swim Up Bar. Sun Loungers all the way round gaining Sun Shine from 6am to 5pm. Has a small sectioned off part for toddlers and children.

The Relaxation Pool - Equally clean and roomy with Sandy or paved lounging area.

Both Pools have food and Bar facilities

Main restaurant - Massive and can comfortably fit 250 - 300 people at once. BUT there is no need to rush as there is plenty of time to eat and in comfort with yet again Brilliant table service. Each Night had a Theme from Caribbean, International, Asian and Chefs Specials with the latter being by far the best with mountains of dishes to try. Breakfast was anytime from 7am till 10 am and again everything was perfect.

The following Restaurants have to be booked for but not because they are crowded but to ensure that you eat in peace and at your leisure without any need to rush and you receive excellent service.

Chinese Restaurant - Excellent food, loads of Sushi and different dishes and a Must Try Dessert of Fried Ice Cream. Highly Recommended.
Mexican Restaurant - Again Excellent Food and Service and too many dishes to mention. Help yourself to numerous starters and Soup, All topped of with Table service for the main courses.
Steak House - Very romantic and secluded setting with Steaks and dishes to die for.

Animation Team - The hardest working Crew I have ever known as they start at 9am and continue non stop through till 11pm. They keep the kids amused all day and the Adults indulged in Tequila Volley Ball, Beach Volley ball, Pool Games along with Pool Aerobics and stretching, plus Lazy Games for the shy people. The are accommodating, amusing, helpful and very enthusiastic. Some very good stage shows too each night from 9:30pm onwards.

Just Check out my photo's for proof of everything.

I cannot say enough to explain how nice it all was.

Ignore the Travel Agents as we took only Peso's and everywhere including the Hotel was accepting Dollars and freely working in Dollars rather than Peso's.

Room Tip: Two or Three weeks before departure send an E Mail to the Hotel and ask for a Room on floor 7,8 or 9...
12 Thank Kevin O
Aldershot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Great hotel great views & location staff were helpful & friendly reception staff were very helpful Thomson rep really good rooms were clean shower room was fab views of the sea & the island just outside cancun perfect 4 stops on the bus 50 pence a trip u must go to co co bongo & do do the speed boats would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to family & friends

Room Tip: Higher floors are better
1 Thank Neil B
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Firstly, I should say this was one of the best holidays I have ever had. I went with my girlfriend and it was a perfect break for us. We were there for 2 weeks and I think I can count on one hand the number of times we actually left the hotel. We wanted a nice break away doing nothing with plenty of sunshine, being able to eat and drink as much/little as we wanted. So for all of that it was perfect.

Weather was brilliant! First 2 days it was cloudy/rainy, although very warm. The remaining 12 days it was baking sunshine everyday.

This was the first time we had been on an all-inclusive holiday, therefore we weren't sure what to expect. Overall the food was great. There is a wide variety of foods on offer every day. There are 3 restaurants (steak house, Mexican and Asian) as well as the main dining area. All 3 were fine - steak house = good, Mexican = ok, Asian = great. These 3 restaurants you have to book in advance for (you are told this when you arrive) but you have to book a day or two in advance which is a bit of a pain as you have to plan in advance when you would like to eat at them, and a lot of time the restaurants look quite empty, so it's questionable how efficient the booking system is. However, on 2 occasions we hadn't booked a restaurant but fancied Mexican/Asian so just popped in about 8pm-ish and asked if they could fit us in, which reluctantly on both occasions they did give us a table - worth trying on the odd occasion but you can't get away with that all the time.

There are 3 pools to choose from. All look great, but the main middle pool was our favourite, for obvious reasons such as being next to the dining area for lunch and also the swim up bar! The beach is literally a staircase down from the pool area and the hotel has its own section of beach therefore there is always space and loungers free. The beach was great - white sand, tidy, clear blue warm water - staff constantly on hand asking if you wanted a drink bringing down to you from the bar.

From our perspective the staff were great. They were always on hand to help us. On occasion some seemed a little grumpy (some of the bar staff) but this was outweighed by the majority of staff being incredibly friendly and helpful. The reps around the pool are always up for a laugh and offer loads of activities for people that fancy doing something (pool volleyball / water polo / boccia / aqua aerobics etc.). Whether you give a tip or not, the staff are always happy to help. We found the hotel reception staff extremely helpful on a number of occasions.

Room was great. Barely touched the alcohol in the room because there is so much on offer downstairs! Room was modern, fresh, cleaned every day, fridge restocked with alcohol and water every 2 days, spacious, good cable TV.

Drinks were also great. Anything we asked for we got. Premium or basic spirits they all tasted great, but if you would like to ensure you always get the premium spirit such as Smirnoff/Absolut vodka, just ask for it when you order and they'll be happy to give it to you.

Nightlife was good. We went to a number of places but only really went on 2 big nights out. One of which was the Thomson bar crawl finishing in Coco Bongo club which was an awesome night, well worth doing. Usually we would go out most nights on a holiday but with everything at the hotel as it is, you fancy getting to bed earlier and wanting to be up early by the pool/beach drinking and having fun in the sun rather than nursing a hangover until 2 in the afternoon! Single people might obviously see this differently...

All in all it was a great holiday. Enjoy!

4 Thank Simon G