“Cancun - Nice Hotel”

Ranked #46 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
“Cancun - Nice Hotel”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

First visit to Cancun.. upon arriving to the hotel we were greeted with smiling faces "hola" and a nice refreshing drink while being served at the counter for check in. Friendly staff all around and check in was easy HOWEVER!! When we checked in (2 parties) with request of being on same floor and close to each others room with an ocean view with travel agent upon booking (not a garden view and above 4th floor as per trip advisor) we were advised that they have no ocean view rooms left??? We advised we paid for this upon booking trip and the Representative at the counter said sorry only garden rooms available..if your printout from travel agent states ocean view room then you would have been booked in that type of room. We reviewed our documents and found on one printout the words ocean view room and they accepted that as an ocean view room and the other document had the wording " room 4th floor to 9th floor - every room has a great view and faces the ocean however from 4th floor up you see the ocean not the garden - so this is why we booked this and to avoid the noise from the lobby as it is open to all rooms from lobby level to 4th floor. We were then given one ocean floor room and advised for the other party to have the same room and because paperwork provided did not have the words "ocean view room" there was nothing left?? Then the Representative came back and said $50 a night for an Ocean View we said no sorry just give us our room then he came back and said for $100 you can upgrade to the floor your paperwork states and we can provide you with adjoining rooms?? This is strange as we were advised there were "NO OCEAN VIEW ROOMS LEFT" So we accepted and I advised to put on my Mastercard that was provided at time of booking this trip and he said "no sorry we only take cash" now this started to make me concerned as we just arrived it was later in the evening and only 2 fellow representative at the check in so the other party we were with said "I will pay the $100 but this does not seem right as to what you are advising us and weird that you are not accepting a credit card for payment" This will be reported by an email to the resort now that I have returned home. Anyhow we had beautiful rooms adjoining for our party for the entire trip and watched the representatives pocket the money ( I guess they were sharing this between the 2 of them) and we were all very tired from travelling all day and there were no managers around to question this transaction or complain (so to everyone wanting an ocean view room - have your travel agent make sure the wording is printed on your booking document and you have that with you)

The facility was clean, very busy place and there is always someone there asking you for a drink in the lobby, at the pool, beach etc. The employees work very hard at this resort and it shows. The rooms were always cleaned and fridge stocked regularly the beds were very uncomfortable I must say and heard this from several people staying there the same week. The food had a great variety with several different places to eat however after a few days it was getting repetitive with not a lot of change in dishes being served. The Steakhouse dinner was fantastic and the service was great! There was always a specialty dinner booking available and that was easy to book.

The weather was very good considering a full day of rain - when it rains it rains hard but then when the sun shines it is hot out! A great variety of choices were to set up for the day however a lot of people went down to get their towel before breakfast to book their seat and never showed up for hours near the pool - so my suggestion on that is do the same if you want a specific spot however for some that want to be at the pool first thing in the morning there were not a lot of seats available unfortunately and were there with towels on the chairs until at least noon with not a single person coming to that chair and others could have sat there for their few hours and left before they even arrived. The beach chairs the same but a lot more to choose from and a great spot to sit for the day.

The room keys for both our parties kept locking us out of our rooms for some reason and we had to visit the front desk daily and each time they tried to tell us we did not have those rooms?? needed to see id to verify it was us and then had wrong checkout dates for us in those booked rooms and also advised us the keys were sitting next to a cell phone in our bag - funny thing about that is we did not have a cell phone with us id was locked in the safe and just had a towel and beach bag where the key sat all day?? So this made us believe the first day at check in was a scam even more and that we could return to our room one day and some other people could be in our rooms... never happened but was a real pain when you go back to your room and the keys do not work.

Also when checking out at noon and your bus does not pick you up for hours they do allow you to store your luggage in a locked room access to the entire hotel and a shower at the end of your day to get ready in the spa area before you depart. If you choose to do this they advise at check out you will receive your tag to get luggage once you hand in your towel cards after sitting at the pool so either bring a fresh towel with you and a change of clothes before handing in your towel card for the receipt to get your luggage. We were advised this when we arrived at the spa to get cleaned up and already handed in the towel cards.

Internet was different where you only have access in the lobby and only for 90 minutes as soon as you log on you either stay in lobby once a day for 90 minutes or bring several devices with you to get access if you need to be on internet more than one time a day. They were trying to change this the week we were there to having access for 90 min in total not consecutive. For those people that need to have access to internet find a time in the day you are willing to sit for 90 min to do everything you need all at once, however the lobby is full at all times of the day for this reason.

The Riu hotel chain is a nice place to stay advising some of the things you need to know or should be aware of if booking this resort, overall a nice hotel and nice visit to Cancun just not happy about the representative pocketing money and taking advantage of visitors!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Stacy O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,192)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

stopped at the RIU CARIBE CANCUN in October.BRILLIANT! could,nt fault the hotel in any way!
staff great, Rep ALDO always there to answer queries, Food plentiful,varied and great.Must have put 5 pounds on.Unusual for me as I,M aware of my weight when I,m away.Animation team best we,ve seen.First time I,ve really enjoyed watching their antics and encouraging everyone around pool to participate.Rooms spotless,fridge stocked every day with a variety of beer,soft drinks and water.and OPTICS IN THE ROOM!!! whiskey vodka brandy Bacardi. Definitely going back.
dave.NEWCASTLE/ENGLAND

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 70Dave
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Transfer was 20 min from airport, on arrival u were greeted with drinks, the lobby was lovely air conditioned and spotless, check in was quick and easy, staff were brilliant. You were shown to your room. From the min u arrived u were treated like royalty. Waited on hand and foot. The rooms were very clean and had air con and digital safe which is free. A free bar in ur room which is stocked every 2 days. Our room was looking over the pools and beach. U don't need to take towels as they r provided in room and beach and pool. There was 4 restaurants Mexican, Asian steak house and buffet style, all were spotless and food was of a high standard. Riu caribbe was 5 min bus ride from the strip, buses were 19 pessos for where ever u wanted to go for 2 adults. That is under a pound in sterling. The pools and beach were constantly being cleaned and waitress service on beach and pools. Entertainment day and night, all staff were outstanding and can't do enough 4 u. I would recommend this hotel and would return 2 morrow.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank sarah2341
Reviewed 8 November 2013

This was our first visit to Cancun and we were worried about the time of year/weather & the hotel, we'd had two fantastic trips to Turkey so this hotel had a lot to live up to! Well it didn't disappoint! On arrival the check in was fast & well organised and we were welcomed with a lovely fruit cocktail and amazing weather!

The rooms are a brilliant size very spacious and lots of storage which is a big plus! the bathroom blew us away, it's a really good size compared to other hotels with double sinks and walk in shower! The room was immaculately clean and my husband was particularly impressed with the mini bar! which had 4 optics and was well stocked with branded soft drinks, water and beer, this was supposed to be stocked every two days but found that it was done more often. The cleaner in our room (Aldemono??) always kept it immaculate and on two occasions we came back to find rose petals and towels shaped into swans!!

On the first night we were on the 4th floor in a room near to the elevators and we found this quite noisy as we could hear the music from the lobby, we spoke to Aldo our rep and the next day we were moved and WOW if you get a chance to request a high room do it, we were in room 985 on the 9th floor and the view was incredible, fantastic place to watch the sunrise!

The food was great, plenty of choice we went with two teenagers and they never had a problem finding something they liked, we tried all the restaurants, the steak restaurant was good, the Mexican restaurant was a bit of a let down, I guess we were expecting more being in Mexico, but even so the food was okay. The Asian restaurant was great and worth a try. The Pizza bar by the quiet pool was good and when the kids got hungry that's where they headed. All the waiters in the main restaurant were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble, special mentions must go to Thias, Israel, Jesus, Eva and Celia they always had a smile and made us feel particularly welcome they are all a credit to the hotel.

The pools were great the main pool had all the activities, if you want a more peaceful area the other pool gives you just that, there were lots of sun loungers and we never had a problem finding one. The entertainment team provide lots of games and were never pushy, even providing the Lazy game for those of us who didn't want to join in. The team were brilliant, Jesus and Paris gave us lots of laughs, particularly Paris who was a real joker! they worked very hard to give us all a good holiday so well done! The shows we saw were good, but one suggestion I would give would be to have them a bit earlier.

The beach is a stones throw from the hotel and lovely, it has seaweed but the hotel staff worked tirelessly to remove it and to be honest, it wasn't something that bothered us.

Having read Travel Adviser before we left I saw complaints about lack of air conditioning in the lobby and the elevators, well yes I agree with the elevators but hey how long are you in them! We never found the lobby to be too hot, there was always a welcome breeze, so don't let this put you off.

The lobby has two bars, we used the main one away from the stage, the bar staff and waiters work really hard ensuring you have drinks and the tables are cleaned, one waitress in the lobby bar (Natalie?) was lovely and always looked after us along with Gerrado & Willliam who made sure we were never without a drink.

Finally I have to give a mention to one of the cleaners (Marina) who was always working tirelessly and quietly, she always seemed to be there! and she is one of the unsung people who help this hotel stay as clean as is.

I apologise for the length of this review but this hotel didn't disappoint, it wowed! and having read previous reviews which gave me some concerns I don't think you should worry, I would highly recommend anyone to stay here and would like to say a big THANK YOU to all at the Riu Caribe for an unforgettable holiday.

Room Tip: High Floor - floor 9
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank TB_TWells
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I love the beach, so I go to Mexico at least twice every summer. I prefer Cancun to everywhere else in Mexico, and I always choose all-inclusive resorts in the Hotel Zone. I think all-inclusive hotels are a great deal, regardless of higher airfares or the economy. I generally book through USAirwaysVacations.com (they include transportation to and from the airport at no extra charge).
In an effort to sample the many hotels in the area, I rarely stay at the same hotel twice, but in this case, I went with a “known” since I was going to propose to my girlfriend, and I wanted to be certain that we would have a nice stay.
For that reason, I chose the RIU chain of hotels, and specifically, the RIU Caribe, since I had stayed here several years ago, and I knew it to be a very nice hotel. So, this was my second stay at this hotel, and we enjoyed every minute of our vacation (we stayed for 6 days / 5 nights). The level of service from management and staff was excellent.
HOTEL: The staff was polite and professional. Almost every staff member I passed greeted me. The hotel was very clean, and we constantly saw employees cleaning and tending to the landscaping. This hotel has had a minor remodel since the last time I stayed here; the lobby and rooms have been updated and are very “trendy”.
ROOM: We had a room on the 7th floor with a nice view of the ocean. Although I would have preferred a king-size bed, the hotel was only able to provide us with two double beds (we made do). The room also had a nice flat screen TV, mini bar fridge that was stocked daily, liquor dispenser, and an in-room digital safe. We were out of the room a lot, but we were able to get the fridge restocked with water and beer by calling the front desk. As in many modern hotels, the power in the room turns off when you remove your key card from the wall slot, which helps to save electricity, but that likely means that none of your devices will recharge while you are out of the room. And like many Cancun hotels, the AC turns off when you slide open your balcony door, in an effort to save electricity. There is no coffee in the rooms, but we found a large canteen set up in the lobby early each morning, before the restaurants opened up. The only thing that we found a bit odd about the room was that the water in the bathroom smelled like sulfur for the entire length of our stay. I have not ever noticed that in other Cancun hotels (even when I returned and stayed at another hotel two weeks later).
FOOD: The food was excellent in the buffet and very good in the premium restaurants. If we were not fond of an entrée or a dessert at a premium restaurant, we simply went by the buffet after our dinner, and found something to complement our dinner. We were able to get reservations for the premium restaurants at night, but you must go to a podium near the front desk about 7 am to get reservations for the following night’s dinner.
POOLS & BEACH: The pool was very nice. Plenty of lounge chairs, if you get there in the morning. The pool has a swim-up bar, set within the regular pool. There is no adults-only pool. Great pool staff and there is fun entertainment every day. The ocean and beach area was fine, we did see some vendors on the beach, but they were not pushy.
BARS: We usually had no trouble ordering drinks. The drinks were very good (we drank Bacardi, Absolut, or Smirnoff the whole time). The swim-up bar was fairly busy, but we never waited more than a minute to get drinks. The outdoor bartending staff was excellent. The drinks were always good and strong. The bartenders will usually remember what you drink. On several occasions, the bartender saw me coming, and started preparing our drinks by the time I got to the bar!
ENTERTAINMENT: The hotel had good evening entertainment, and shows were different each night. The only thing we didn't like was that the entertainment didn't start until 9 PM, and that was generally too late for us.
GYM: There is a small gym on the property; you have to go through the spa/massage area to get to it. The exercise equipment was in good condition, but only 6 or 7 people can realistically use the gym at the same time.
Overall, this is a very nice hotel. We highly recommend the Riu Caribe.
Once more, I would like to mention that even though many hotels here are completely "all-inclusive", I always bring $200 or more in US $1 and $5 bills for tipping the waiters and housekeeping staff. I find that I get better service and I hope it makes a small difference for the people in Mexico who work hard for much less dough than we make in the US.

Room Tip: Because of the shape of the hotel, all rooms have an ocean view, but try to get one facing the pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Marcus85204
Hebron, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Overall, I was very happy with our stay at the Riu Caribe. We walked into our room one afternoon to find a whole team of people doing a quality inspection - we were taken aback at first but appreciated it when later a maintenance guy came to secure the lock on our balcony door.

The resort was clean, the staff was friendly, the pool/beach were sublime, and the food was what one would expect of resort food. We made sure to make reservations for the three specialty restaurants our first morning there and weren't disappointed. The Japanese restaurant had the best dessert (fried ice cream) and the steakhouse was overall the best (the steak was PERFECT and it was so nice to eat outside).

The "liquor dispenser" they have in the room is literally a few bottles of liquor turned upside down with a spigot attached. It's also clearly not straight liquor, which is to be expected from an all-you-can-drink resort. The drinks at the bar were also very watered down or sugary, so that got old really quick.

This was my first time in Mexico and overall, I really enjoyed the experience. I felt safe at the Riu Caribe and had a great time.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank LizaMae2012
Darien, Illinois
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The hotel is fairly large, in that there very many rooms; however, they continually tried to keep people entertained, from the poolside activities to the nightly entertainment on stage. The pool itself is an OK size for the size of the resort, but it can get a bit crowded. Same goes for the beach; in fact, on our first day, the staff started a soccer game with a goal right in front of me. Guess what? I had to move after the ball hit me the second time. The beach area does have a really cool area off to the right with large boulders that looks nice and is nice to "play on". The rooms were very clean and fairly spacious. The décor is better than some of the other Riu's we stayed at which was a pleasant surprise. The biggest complaint I had (and I think I read it in reviews before we left) was that they don't have many specialty restaurants, and they aren't all open each day. We never got to each at any of the restaurants because they were booked solid. However, they're buffet is actually pretty good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChutTheGuy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Oasis Palm
Oasis Palm
#77 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Hotel Riu Caribe? Share your experiences!