“Not worth the 5 star it has been given”
Review of Hotel Riu Caribe

Hotel Riu Caribe
Ranked #46 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
birmingham
“Not worth the 5 star it has been given”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Well I returned from my holiday in Cancun Friday 15th November after 12nights. Still a little jet lagged, so hopefully this very long review will make some sense. And please do be prepared for another long review...So after booking this trip through Thomsons, I was very much looking forward to it after some difficult time at work, so I was ready for some sun, and relaxing.
Well Thomson did not help things as they messed up our booking before we got there, considering we payed extra for Premium, but this is not a review about Thomson.
So the Riu Caribe, well let me say I sat here thinking do I give it average or a very good, and well it definitely wasn't very good, but it's a shame there isn't an option for some of the staff as they were very good, mind you that's not all staff. Message me if you want to know more about things to do places to go.
Well ok so we hit Cancun airport, to the rain and of course it's the usual hoards of people trying to get us into their coach, bus or taxi, expecting that, but was also expecting our transfer to be in the airport but they were outside and not very clear of who they were...that's another hit for Thomson. Once we finally got to the hotel, we were greeted by the concierge team and the rep Aldo, who is a Thomson rep, who told us to leave our luggage outside while he got everyone checked in rather than going to the desk. We were taken to the main theatre, where we were greeted in what seems like a very nice hotel, and checked in altogether, it was a nice way as they didn't hassle us for credit cards and ID. They gave us information about the specialty restaurants as well as towel cards for the pool, you lose those cards you pay. They brought drinks round, but it annoys me that they assume everyone drinks, ok you go to an all inclusive there are going to be many drinkers. My friend took a beer and asked if there was something non alcoholic for me, the waiter said he would be back, and he didn't, what if there were young people there, does that mean they would have the choice of alcohol too? Check in went smoothly nonetheless and we were allocated the rooms, we were then asked to go back to the front and identify our cases and someone would bring the cases up to our room. We were given room 725. We walked in and were pleasantly surprised, nice size, clean bathroom with twin sinks, and a walk in shower. The room also had optics with 4 drinks, as well as a stocked mini bar with alcohol, soft drinks and water. The view was poolside overlooking the Ocean, pleased with that, shame it was wet. We'd arrived early evening, so even though it was dark had a look around the pool, and then had some dinner in the Albatross, the main restaurant. Upon arriving at this restaurant there was plenty of choice for all whether you wanted vegetarian or a big meat eater, as well as plenty of seafood, they say they have themed eveings each night. If anyone says they went hungry they are mad, I am what some may say a fussy eater, and only eat what I know, but even I found plenty, differnet chicken choices, rice, pastas, fish, stews, paellas, and so much more, as well as the usual chips, burgers and pizza. There was an array of desserts too, so can't complain. Well that night it poured and it poured. We awoke the next morning to see more rain, but what was worse was when I noticed a puddle by my very uncomfortable bed. Confused about this puddle I notice that the bedsheets at the bottom were wet, then realised we had a leaky sliding door, water had seeped through the ceiling and congregated near my bed, it worried me as there was a lamp near the sliding doors, the socket was also there, do they not worry about electric shocks. Of course we reported it to reception who said unfortunately when it rains this happens, erm well if it does then get a better sealant, that is a ridiculous thing to say, and it seemed we weren't the only ones complaining about this, reception did offer us another room, and even offered help to move we just said it would be easy for us to do as we had already unpacked. We were given room 639, same layout of room. This room had a couple of issues as well but we didn't want to move and we were offered a move again. The bathroom door handle was dodgy, the main door has to be pulled shut, and the shower drain did not work, at times the shower was like a bath water build up, we reported it, someone from maintenance had a look no change, in the end we left it. We had water puddles again because of the rain although not as bad as the first room, and the lamp in that room was flickering, we told reception again and they sent a cleaner up, she cleaned up, and placed some towels by the doors to the balcony and we told her about the lamp, unfortunately she didn't understand, and I tried in vain to say it in Spanish to no avail, worried she may get an electric shock she was not phased, in the end we moved the lamp.
Ok so not to bore you further with this lengthy review, remember I said Albatross has themed restaurant, sory to disappoint they can call it mexican, asian, italian you pretty much get the same thing everyday, do you know what I didn't care I eat what I like, so this was ok for me, and the restaurant staff were great, whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner, very attentive. And they were even more friendly when I tried to speak Spanish, maybe poorly but hey quite a few of them thought I was Mexican. They made us laugh every day. You would expect that from the specialty restaurant they have a Steak house, Asian, and Mexican, do you get the same service there? No, and the food is mediocre, service poor, and they are never busy. We ate in the Steak House this was the pool restaurant and the Asian restaurant by the main restaurant. Nothing special. The rooms were cleaned, although they don't change the sheets. Well now for entertainment, if you like cheese you'll like the entertainment. Don't get me wrong the entertainment staff alongside the restaurant staff work the hardest from morning through til late evening, but the entertainment was very poor to the point it's on a loop, we went everyday and by the end they repeated the entertainment. Caesar and Paris have to be mentioned as they continuosly kept everyone ebtertained, they didn't force you to partake if you didn;t want to, and when you think they have a day off you can imagine their hard work, but 5 star it is not.
Overall we had a lovely break, bus stops are outside, and for 9.50 pesos single to where ever you want to go, it's a bargain. Try and go to Las Americas Mall, a lot more choice for all compared to La Isla. Also go to Riu Cancun you can use their facility and the beach that side is a lot better and cleaner. Bar staff were great and work like trooper, I read reveiws about staff being rude, we did not experience any of that, the reception staff weren't great. If you're not ignorant the staff and frankly my feeling is they're not they're to take ignorant remarks, and abuse from guests they don't get paid enough. If they didn't understand you they were very apologetic, but I tried to speak a little spanish. Take an extension lead, only 2 sockets, and in random places, if you have hair straighteners, curlers, mobile phones charging, digital cameras charging you need more than 2 sockets, my friend actually suggested we take extenction leads and well good job we did as even with 2 sockets one didn't work. There is a jacuzzi hidden by the spa try and use it, not many people do.There is so much more I could say but you'll be here forever, I could write a book. Nice friendly staff in an ok hotel, but it is defnitely not five stars.

Room Tip: Request an ocean view, although most rooms are, heard that if not requested the hotel will try and c...
7 Thank munchkinBirmingham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,192)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

This is a great hotel. We went with friends and had an amazing two week holiday. Rooms were fantastic as well as surrounding areas. Food was lovely and a very varied menu meant there was never a boring meal. Staff were very attentive and work exceptionally hard to please.
My only criticism was the other few moaning guests who must drink from gold goblets and platters and have a view of the riviera back home in the UK...hard to please!
I would recommend this hotel +++++++++
Great place and would definitely return. Thank you.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Claire M
Glasgow
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Visited in September 2013 for a special occasion.
Pro's Hotel staff can't do enough for you. We tended to stay around the children's pool and there were no kids in our party, however there seemed to be a lot of adult groups doing that as the other main pools were were the animation team came to harass, erm, entertain you.
Cuban band who played in the main bar/reception were fantastic and we preferred to watch them at night rather than go into the theatre for the animation show. Also the main buffet restaurant was fantastic and wide choice of food for everyone and freshly cooked.
Cons - Hard sale on coco bongos tickets by rep in hotel and the animation team. Also noise created by groups returning at night. By no means not a party animal, but got fed up being woken up by drunken idiots shouting as the stumbled their way through the hotel after 3am (to the point that the young couple next door started a full on shouting match at 6am after the man returned). A La Carte restaurants disappointing at best. After having to book the Mexican restaurant was bit of a wimper, the Chinese, everything was over cooked as it had sat on the buffet under the heat lamps for so long and the steakhouse, served steak which was fatty, over cooked and tasteless, and experience the only instance of rude waiting staff.
On the whole, loved the holiday, would return to cancun, but would probably go to a hotel with wider selection of ala carte restaurants given the cost of the holiday overall.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Glasgirl1000
United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Myself and my partner visited Riu Caribe at the end of june going into july for two weeks. (Abit late for the review i know) We both really enjoyed and are planning on coming back.

The staff are amazing, as soon as you put your foot into the hotel there is someone there taking your bags and giving you a cocktail. The receptionist are very informative and very fast so you can enjoy your holiday straight away. The hotel was very clean and very modern. We had a really big shock as soon as we got to our room as we didn't realize it would be that nice and VERY big.
They even done the towel art which was a nice extra. The view we had was stunning and by the looks of it all the rooms had a nice view of the ocean!

The food was very very nice. We mainly ate at the buffet everyday, there was alot of food that repeated daily but that wasn't a problem because there was always something different to try and i was there for two weeks.... but we tried the Mexican restaurant one night, I had fresh fish which was delicious and my partner had fajitas! There was also another option to have the asian night and the steak night! You have to get up a bit early to book these as they fill up very fast! The steak night is supposed to be the best but we missed this as we booked the restaurant for the day we done a trip and we were absolutely shattered!

The pool area is great, you have a quiet child pool, the party pool we called it , and another quiet pool around the back. There are loads of sun loungers so there was no need to get up early to put your towel on them. There was a number of activities happening around the pool, we only joined in for the last week and we were gutted that we didnt do them in the beginning of the week as soon as we got there. The staff by the pool area were absolutely hilarious ( And loved my bright red hair haha) they made sure that everyone got involved and they definitely made our holiday! Thankyou guys.

And, the beach. Well, it was beautiful. There were loads of sun loungers once again easy to find a chair even if you go down in the afternoon. The water was stunning, could have stayed in it all day! Had alot of activities on the beach such as jet skiing which we didn't try! My partner had the snorkeling kit from there though and used that everyday to swim around the sea with. The sand was lush, really white and soft. Also staff again, came around the beach area and took your orders for drinks! What more could you ask for!?

While we were there, we visited the Chichen itza. I highly recommend this was a great day out.
We also visited Xcaret and the little paradise island with Thomson.
Thoroughly enjoyed all of these!

We also used the buses and visited Riu cancun which was nice and we also used the buses to go to the shopping centres in cancun. Very fun experience! Must try and is safe to do so. Think it worked out to be about 17pence to go on the bus! Insane.

Also, obviously the weather was outstanding. Boiling hot and sunny. The last few days we had rain and thunderstorms which was an experience!

(My only downfall is that we didnt like the flight as we flew on a first choice plane when we were supposed to have the dreamliner. The staff were rude and i personally think thomson is going down hill, Will not fly with these again)

But this hotel, is absolutely amazing and its great for everybody.
Seen a range of ages, couples and families!

Can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: We just booked ocean view double room and our room was amazing.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Lorna H
NY
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Just got back from a week at the Riu Caribe. We had such a great time - the only complaint was the weather - obviously we cannot control the weather but I do wish we didn't have as much rain!
The food was great - after a week though the buffets get old... huge selection for everyone! Yummy food - The Mexican restaurant was my fav one - we ate there twice, great fajitas.
The steak place was "ok" - nothing great - its outside and with the dam weather there was a 4 inch huge bug crawling above our heads which freaked out.
The Asian place was also just OK. its a Chinese buffet basically.

Drinks were all yummy - Entertainment staff was AMAZING - I love Crazy Cesar! Michael Jackson show was great, pool games fun!

All in all a great trip!

1 Thank mizzgolitely75
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I was looking for a nice and relaxing getaway and that's what I got.

We even got a free upgrade when we checked in perhaps because we were not to busy complaining about what room or what floor.

The weather was so not the greatest but we knew there was a good chance for rain going in but it was not as bad as what was originally forecasted.

As for the daily 90 minutes of WIFI. Big deal you are on vacation hello.. Anyways if you had multiple devices you could connect a different device at another point in time for another 90 minutes.

Pros:
Buffet
Drinks
Great Layout
Extremely Clean Resort
Staff was Fantastic especially
Mayan in the lobby bar
Cajun in the pool bar
Eva in the main dining room
Beach was great
Check in
Check Out

Cons
The Specialty Restaurants not so special

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank leadpo
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Pros: Excellent buffet, even for this picky vegetarian eater. Friendly staff. Resort is best suited for a younger crowd that likes to party.

Cons:
1. Noisy! in the lobby, the rooms, the pool area - there seemed no where to escape the noise.
2. November - expect rain and high humidity. We went this time of year because of our daughter's wedding - but the barometric pressure sure played havic with my migraines!
3. It doesn't matter what room you request - you get what they give you or pay CASH for something better.
4. NOT suited for an elderly person with mobility issues. No wheel chairs available.
5. Many details arranged ahead of time for my daughters wedding were completely messed up. She paid for the premium package, but certainly never got it. I don't like destination weddings anyways, but this just reinforced a good reason not to do it. Seriously - if you're planning a wedding here, think twice about it.

Additional comments: To be truthful, my adult children found the resort to be beautiful and met their expectations for the most part (wedding aside). My husband and I typically select smaller resorts in quieter locations. Certainly not Cancun. We spent a wonderful day on Isla Mujeres and toured the resort Privelege Aluxes. Only $1400 each/week for all-inclusive. Reasonable and beautiful. And quiet, but still central enough to get out and do things.

Tips:
1. There's a hot tub at the resort. Go to the 'quiet' pool and take the stairs behind it. The temperature fluctuates daily, but it's a nice little secret spot.
2. If you like Iguana's take the R1 or R2 bus north and ask to get off at El Rey. There are ruins there to check out for $3 US/person. And literally hundreds of iguanas.
3. Definitely take a day to visit Isla Mujeres. Rent a golf cart and explore. Make sure you take the big yellow & blue ferry. Ticket agents will try to steer you to another ferry which takes 3 times as long to get there for the same price, so be aware of that.
4. A nice place to shop is the mall ISLA. Again, take the bus north and get off where you see the big white canopy type roofs. Ask the driver. Lots of great little shops without the harassment of the vendors.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Cathy C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Oasis Palm
Oasis Palm
#77 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Hotel Riu Caribe? Share your experiences!