“Fun hotel”
Review of Hotel Riu Caribe

Hotel Riu Caribe
Ranked #44 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is a good hotel. My boyfriend (31) and I (23) traveled here may 13th-16th. We had stayed at secrets the vine (best hotel in Cancun in my opinion) for 3 nights before arriving here, so we weren't expecting much. First off let me just say that the bar tenders here are extremely hard working they were awesome. we arrived a bit early so hung out in the lobby for a couple hours drinking tequila and planning our xplor excursion. xplor is a must do!! make sure you do it at night there are no lines and it is 100x more beautiful at night the jungle is all lit up in tiki torches and you still get a couple hours of day light. anyways back to the hotel. the rooms are nice, big bathrooms, my boyfriend is 6'6 and the beds were small but we didn't have a problem with them so I don't see why anyone else is having a fit about it. our view sucked we were on the 3rd floor but we weren't to concerned about it. the pool area is lots of fun, we did not have to wake up at 5am to get a chair we were up by 8 am and found a good chair everytime. very lively and entertaining at the pool. the entertainment team does a great job and I don't know how they stay so happy and enthusiastic all the time, always talking to guests and on the go we had a lot of fun because of them. the beach is pretty, but not the kind of beach I'm particularly into. it is very mellow...no waves due to isla mujeres across the way. me and my boyfriend liked going out in the rough waves and swimming at the other hotel. that hotel also had lengthy white sandy beaches that went on forever this one is more private which some people love!. you can tell they put fake sand on it but whatever. the food was good we just ate at the buffet every night, the entertainment here at night was not the greatest so we took a 5 dollar cab downtown or you can take the bus for 1 dollar and went to coco bongo and mandala which were both outrageously fun! when we returned we were hungry most nights so having the sports bar open 24 hours with sandwiches to take up to our room was a life saver. we really liked this hotel and had fun. would I stay here again?? mmmm probably not but im glad I did, great time for the price!

Room Tip: don't get a 3rd floor room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank markienilson

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We had 6 day stay at this hotel from May 30th thru June 6th 2014. The original room was not ready when they checked us in. We had to change rooms as the phone did not work - they knew about it but booked us into the room anyways. The first couple of nights it rained. There was no indoor activity. They actually turned the lights off on us on that Saturday - we were in the lobby playing cards (again they had no entertainment planned due to the rain). That was the first time I've ever stayed at a hotel where they turned the lobby lights off on their guests.
In all fairness the food was good. The bartenders needed to be a bit more friendly. I truly enjoyed Crazy Carlos as he tried to keep the crowd pleased.
Didn't like the fact that the beds were pushed together - please separate them please as we were NOT a couple. Just friends traveling together. They also need to improve on their transportation. There is NO collaboration between the excursion folks and the hotel - we were told to catch the city bus....REALLY FOLKS!!
Overall we had to make our own fun. I don't think I'll stay at this resort in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peggy M
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed here after staying at playa de Carmen the year before.cancun is great if you don't have kids. We got thrown out of the entertainment at 2300hrs, with nothing else to do. It is annoying about the sun beds, I was getting up at 6.30 every day and most of the beds had been reserved.....the steak house turned us off the a la carte evenings. Room was spacious, clean and fridge always topped up. Waiter service was slow.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dawn J
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed at the Riu Caribe, Cancun last year and am going back next year! Not one to brag but I have been everywhere you can think of and this has to be the best place I have ever been. I went with my boyfriend, 20 and 21 at the time. Yes it is a little expensive, costing around £3000, but you have to expect to pay around that for two weeks all inclusive in Mexico. Absolutely EVERYTHING is all inclusive at all times of the day and night. The rooms were amazing and so were the staff. The staff were always making sure there were tonnes of activities and everyone got involved! Riu Caribe is for 'younger' people I would say as there is lots of music and a pool bar where all the younger people hang out. If you want more of a relaxing holiday (although this still is relaxing) go to the sister Riu next door (think it may be called Riu palace-not sure though) That one is more quiet and more luxury than Caribe. The view for my balcony was just unreal. I had a view of the lagoon on one side and the Caribbean Ocean on the other. The rooms are really nice and are kept clean by the cleaners. Leave the cleaner tips! Yes okay the food might be quite repetitive but there are a few restaurants there which you have to book a day or so in advance.

I went on several trips and would recommend them all;

Swimming with dolphins and went in a cage with sharks, went on little speed boats through the lagoon and then went through to the ocean and went snorkelling and see loads of fish and a manta ray (sting ray) and also went on a ATV trip which my boyfriend loved but was actually quite scary. I really enjoy driving and speed but this was silly! It was in the jungle so we were driving over trees and rocks and things. Boys would love it. We also went zip lining there up in the trees and went to a fresh water cave and jumped 40-50ft off the side into it which was really refreshing. Night life is really good. Loads of clubs for good prices (wristband for the night which included entry and drinks all night) coco bongo was so different to anywhere I have been before. This is Jim Carey's club.

This was the best holiday I have ever been to in my whole life. I'm one of them people that was to travel the whole world and don't want to go back to the same place as there is so much to see but I am defo going back here!! I have never cried before after coming back from holiday.

The only bad thing about this place is being depressed once you get home. Would totally recommend this!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
12  Thank Claudiakelvin
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at a discusting hotel next door but one do was forced to move. When I got here I thourght I was dreaming. The food was lovely with plenty of options, great entertainment, lovely staff, spotless room all inclusive private bar in my room absoluty loved it.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Cmhard
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We have just got back from a 2 week break at the Riu Caribe. We had a fab time and met lots of lovely people. The staff in all areas of the hotel were amazing, very helpful, polite and friendly. The view from our room was absolutely amazing, we were on the side of the hotel looking over both the sea and the lagoon, it was breath taking. Our room was really nice, very big with a king size bed. The mini bar in the room was stocked up regularly, even though we did have to steal some vodka from the next room one day, our own fault for drinking it all though.
The buffet restaurant is lovely and being health fanatics we were very pleased with the variation of healthy foods at each meal. The steak restaurant was amazing, however, very difficult to book into as always fully booked, but never seemed to be full. This tended to happen with all the exclusive restaurants and because of this we didn't manage to get into the Asian at all. This I would say was the only downfall for the hotel. If you go, ensure you book the restaurants in advance or you will miss out. The Mexican restaurant was very nice too. In fact we never had a bad meal. The sports bar offers snacks 24/7 which are not great but when you get in at 6am they are fine.
The pool and beach are lovely, the main pool is very lively which we loved, but there are also quieter pools if you just want to relax and the beach is very peaceful and really beautiful too.
The entertainment team were great, always lots of fun games, dancing etc going on at the main pool, which everyone gets involved in, this was perfect for us as we love to have fun by the pool in the day. The shows in the night are good too and aimed at all ages which is great, however after 11pm there is no entertainment so if you were staying in the hotel it could get a bit boring. The sports bar only plays sport there is no music.
The entertainment team arrange transfers to the best clubs each night and they go out of their way to ensure you have a good night. These nights are all inclusive drinks once in a venue and the entertainment team are always there to ensure best service. They are great, lots of fun, very helpful and work so hard.
All in all we had a fab time. We went 2 single girls and even though there was mixed ages of couples and families at the hotel, I found most single people were quite young. Being in my 30's I felt it was probably the wrong time of year to go as it was still a bit like spring break. I've been told July / August is a bit older.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emma S
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Riu caribe is a great hotel. All of the employees are nice and welcoming. The activities are great. It's definitely an active resort. There's always something to do. It's not to far from downtown cancun. It's a short taxi ride to the city if you want to go shopping. The sports and entertainment team and great people. They put on good shows at night. The food is amazing. Breakfast lunch and dinner is on the money. The beach and pool are nice. People are up early in the morning claiming beach chairs so it won't be taken. The spa is amazing. I had my first massage there and it was amazing. I was very impressed. Everyone is nice. The nightlife is also something to experience. I'm definitely coming back in the near future.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank J-Mac P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#47 of 177 in Cancun
GR Caribe by Solaris
GR Caribe by Solaris
#26 of 177 in Cancun

Been to Hotel Riu Caribe? Share your experiences!