“Excellent Family Vacation!”

Ranked #46 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent Family Vacation!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We booked this resort based on Trip Advisor reviews and having just returned from 8 nights at the Riu Caribe the reviews were accurate (minus the usual complainers who want to be served hand over foot).

We had two adults and two teenagers in one junior suite (a room with three beds), and it was excellent. Not a fancy 5 star but excellent value for money, great staff, rooms were clean (absolutely no bugs), always something at the buffet for everyone, great pools and beach front, terrific hotel zone location, etc.

I would highly recommend this resort if you like the sound of the majority of Trip Advisor reviews. I won't repeat all the same comments so pls feel free to email us if you have any specific questions.

Overall, we wouldn't hesitate to recommend this resort.

Some of the must-do's off the resort are things like the Pirate Ship dinner cruise (much better than we expected, outstanding for people of all ages), hop on the bus for $1 USD each way and go to the downtown and surrounding markets/malls, pay the $$$ and do the Explor all day adventure if you like to zip line/cave paddle and cave swim, drive jeeps through caves and around the adventure park, eat excellent food at the expansive buffet (no booze, it's a healthy/active adventure park. Beware, you climb very high towers with narrow steps to zip line. It's worth every step! The four of us agreed that there was nothing that we didn't enjoy all day. It's expensive but it's worth it. We were bagged that night!!

The Riu Caribe is perfect for families -- it's very safe and clean -- and just a short bus ride to Senior Frogs (and other bars/restaurants) at night. Good time had by all!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
13 Thank SandyBeach24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,179)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Colne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Very disappointed with this hotel, albeit the food was good and the waiters at the bars are very friendly and helpful but that was really only the good points. The rooms are whitewashed with old furniture repainted blue, no coffee making facilities or room service, we had a room on the side of the hotel and the balcony was tiny. The guy who filled our fridge helped himself to our chocolate, this is true as I caught him with the empty toffee crisp wrapper on his trolley. The al a carte restaurants have to be booked daily from 7am, when you go to book at 7am they are already full, we found out the reason for this is the restaurant booker takes money to book the restaurant for you. The pool, quite a lot of sunbeds but never any vacant ones, my husband resorted to putting towels out at 5am and even then most were taken so he started going at 4.30am to find that the pool attendants were covering the beds with towels so that when people required beds, they would remove the towels and give them whatever beds they needed and would be tipped for this. The hotel has had a refurb, so they say the reception is whitewashed with orange balconies, not very pleasing to the eye. Quite a lot of families travel here with teenage children, these teenagers were very drunk and roudy at all times of day. Also between the hours of 1am and 5am you noise from the corridors from groups of people returning after a night out was very loud, the security did nothing to sort this problem out, so every night we were woken on numerous occasions. if you are considering staying at this hotel think again, for what you pay there are better hotels.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the front overlooking the pool and beach, otherwise if you are situated on one of...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank joanne n
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I only spent 3 nights in this hotel because of a mix up at another Riu in Playa del Carmen. Travelling to Cancun was not the most convenient switch, especially with about 10 people but it was fun. We also had to pay for those nights which we had technically already paid in Playa but this was a more expensive hotel so we paid a difference. Thats the only downside to it, the rest I loved. The hotel was massive! Walking in to the lobby, my mouth dropped, it was such a big space and beautiful, super clean and orange (my favorite color). The rooms were so comfortable and clean and the food was also great. There is a lot of variety of food to pick from, so what if they rarely change the choises? You got so many to try from for a week! The beach was pretty big, there was volleyball and all types of activies to do. It was right at the end of the beach, so to the left there was no other hotels, which I liked. They have these hammocks as well, which are so comforable, you never want to leave them. I am not a pool person really, I like swimming in the ocean, so I am not really sure of the conditions of the pool, but it seemed pretty clean, especially at night when it was lit up.
Staff is super nice and always happy and friendly. They want you to have a good time, especially the barmen. There is food available all day and night pretty much, this hotel never sleeps. I reccomend staying here, it was tons of fun in only 3 days and we had not even left the hotel much.

Room Tip: Bottom floor seems to be party floor :)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank tokseo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We absolutely loved our stay at the Riu Caribe Cancun! Having never been on an all inclusive holiday before I was a bit skeptical about the standard of food/drink etc but I had no need to be - the buffet had an enormous choice of food at all times of the day, the Asian restaurant was great and the Steakhouse (outdoor, with views of the beach) was delicious - better than some of the restaurants we've paid to eat in at home! At dinner your wine glass was never empty and the bar service in general was fantastic - refreshing cocktails in the swim up bar, premium brand spirits and always fast service with a smile. The barmen even got to know your drinks order and had it ready for you before your drink was finished (Frankie in the Sports Bar was brilliant for this, a legend!)

The pools are large and clean - you can choose to relax by the quiet pool or party in the lively pools with music and where there are plenty of friends to be made. The hotel is right on the white, sandy beach and there are plenty of water sports to keep you busy - the jet-skiing is brilliant fun! We booked two trips through the hotel - a dinner boat cruise for our anniversary (Columbus, fantastic) and a trip to the stunning Isla Mujeras to swim with dolphins, which really was a once in a lifetime experience. Evening entertainment is varied and enjoyable - although I expected to be out in the bars/clubs, we actually found ourselves in the hotel bars most nights! The Sports Bar is open 24 hours so there is always somewhere to have a nightcap or two after a night in Coco Bongo (an absolute must!) The rooms are large, modern and clean with 4 optics and a fridge full of mixers, replaced every second day. My ONLY point for improvement would be that the lobby areas and bars could have better air conditioning...it was hot, hot, hot!!!

Overall, this was the best holiday we've ever had and although we always had a policy of going somewhere different each year - we're already planning to book the Riu Caribe again for next summer, what does that tell you?!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Gemma_McMullan1985
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Fantastic beach setting, staff very friendly and helpful just a little bit too expensive for the age of hotel and no air conditioning in public places. For the extra cost I would stay in the Riu Palace next door when I go back to Cancun

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Vicki B
Imperial, Missouri
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Very nice hotel. Not the best Riu we've been to, but overall, enjoyable. The beach is great. You don't have to be down there by 7 to get a shady spot. If you like to play in the waves, there aren't any. The water is mostly calm and relaxing. Very nice beach, sugar soft, white sand. It's not very long, so beach walkers don't have a long way to go before turning around. Good snorkeling area by the pier, separating the Riu Caribe from the Riu Palace Peninsula. The pool chairs fill up really early though, so plan to go down by 7, if you want a prime spot. The swim up bar is strangely set up, almost an afterthought. Lots of activities at the pool, but plenty of quiet places to get away from it, if that's what you want. Lots of young 20 somethings at the swim-up bar all the time. Singing and have a good time. The rooms were smaller than I thought for Jr. Suites, but our balcony was huge! Like everyone says, the higher floors are over the trees, so you can see the water and beach. The buffet is awesome, as we expected from a Riu. The specialty restaurants were a disappointment. The Asian was buffet style and most of the items are available at the regular buffet most nights. The steakhouse was good though. Surprisingly large steak and very tasty The dress code was mostly non-existent at the specialty places. We always bring long pants and collared shirts, as that's what they usually require. This time, it looked like they let people come in right from the pool! Makes you wonder why they bother saying anything about dress. If you want to check out the shopping and the city, you can ride the City Bus for 9.50 pesos or 1 dollar US. Much cheaper than taxis. They are almost always passing and they run all the time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Brian K
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had a great time. Issue are on 3rd floor. We had 396. I actually preferred true private balcony(was very small) versus the front towards pool. Issue w/ this room no ice machine even close to you and it also a hike to the elavator. I had a bad foot, so this stunk a little. The air conditioner leaked and was fixed pretty quick. Overall, nice room. Not great. I had no way of requesting this due to their site had no email or 1-800 number to call to request room. I found Email later, but this should be on their site. I don't complain over little things like others, so we stayed in our room.

Food was average. Main issue is our first night we were not able to reserve a nice dinner. Next morning, I found out they are booked two night ahead. That meant no nice dinner second day. That is not right! I again didn't complain. They should have this as option. THe food at reserved dinners is pretty good. The Asian was the worst unless you love sushi.

Service was pretty great, but they need more help around pool area/beach for bar service. The poor guy serving (lazy) people at beach. I felt horrible.. I made sure to get my own drinks since he had to serve whole beach.

Overall, we had a great time. I wouldn't say I'd go back. I want to try other places. For that reason, 3 average. This place is very clean and service is nice. They just need more help to make this a 4 star or higher.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple