“Nothing wrong but just so-so”
Review of Hotel Riu Caribe

Hotel Riu Caribe
Ranked #44 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Went with 5 female friends in June, 2014. Have stayed at many Riu hotels previously in Mexico and certainly this hotel had the usual high standard of good food, cleanliness, lovely grounds and friendly staff that are synonymous with the Riu brand. We did have an excellent vacation but I think that had more to do with the people we were with and the people we met. The hotel is somewhat lacking in "atmosphere" and adding some music or entertainment in the main lobby during the evenings would be a great improvement. The hotel is very quiet so if you want to get your "party" on, then you will have to go downtown. That's fine - the bus runs every two minutes, only cost $1 US and the nightlife there is great. Would just have been nice to stay at the hotel some nights if there was some music and a more lively vibe.

Room Tip: Beach front views were beautiful - 8th floor was great.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SweetCaroline09
Write a ReviewReviews (7,738)

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

This was our third riu hotel chain stay. Compared with the other hotels in Jamaica and playa del Carmen, this was our least favorite.
Rude front desk staff- were not willing to help with taxi issues or anything really if you didn't book your stay through riu.

Food wasn't great. Only 2 places to choose from. Displeased with the waiters in the dining room, making people who have already started eating get up and move to a smaller table even though the place is half empty and closing in 20 minutes.

Beach is small, not many water sports as compared to other Rius. Get there early to find a chair.
Rooms are incredibly noisy. Bring earplugs if you want to get any sleep if you're staying on the 4th floor or lower.

Sorry riu, but this vacation has soured our taste of your all inclusive hotels. Moving on to either another chain or another type of vacation.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Annie I
Reviewed 17 August 2014

August 17, 2014 - we arrived yesterday and here is our impression so far.
Good Part - nice clean property. Got two rooms on 9 th floor. Check in was easy. Staff is helpful and tries to provide good service.
Beach is nice and pool is good also.
NOT SO GOOD part. There are 3 Restaurants that require reservations. This Am tried to make reservation for any three - NONE WERE AVAILABLE. This is disappointing after paying thousand of dollars for all inclusive setup. Now I am starting to wonder is it worth getting all inclusive? Lunch and breakfast are good as it does not require reservations. We will know this whole week if we get to go each of the restaurants that require reservations.
Food is reasonably good in the buffet-lots of selection. Good fruits. Lunch is also good by the pool. Dinner at buffet place is ok. Drinks are not that quality. Wine is really bad. Beer is ok. Only tap beer; no bottles either.

I believe RIU Management can make change by adding more restaurants or expanding capacity. Based on occupancy rate they should be able to adjust the restaurant availability.
Any queuing theory model can predict the demand for these restaurants.
Will update again during the week based on how our stay develops.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I just returned from a 5 day stay at the Riu Caribe in Cancun from August 12th throughout the 16th with my husband and two daughters aged 18 and 23. I'd give the hotel a 3 and 1/2 rating if I could give a half rating. The resort is a decent one for the price and has both positives and negatives but the positives outweigh the bad. It really depends on what your expectations are and what you are looking for. I found the service wonderful as every single staff member was attentive, cordial and responsive. We were unhappy with our room and the next day as promised we were given a beautiful oceanfront view room. Waiters make very frequent rounds in the pool, beach and lobby areas to attend to drink requests. I found the service to be the same with regards to the room being cleaned, service at the front desk as well as the restaurants. I didn't drink heavily so I don't know about tipping to get stronger and stronger drinks but I can say that I was attended to with drink orders and room cleaning regardless on days that I tipped versus not.

As far as the food I can say that it is definitely not gourmet but is a good deal for the money. It is a true inclusive and not one that has limitations on certain drinks or certain restaurants or certain dishes. You literally don't need to worry about money while you are at the hotel. There were no surprise daily resort fees or any charges whatsoever. I paid for the trip upfront through Orbitz and didn't even have to worry about a deposit put on my card. Truly stress free!
My husband and daughters were very happy with the buffets and the restaurants. There were ample choices and despite what others have written the buffets are not exactly the same everyday, nor exactly the same from lunch to dinner. Some choices are constant and you see daily however, you do see a variation of items from one meal to the next. I am more particular and thought that the food was adequate. I was able to always find some items that I enjoyed however, the food definitely was not gourmet. But I am picky and my husband and daughters were very very happy with the food. I thought the selection and abundance and service with regards to the food was worth the money that you pay for this resort.

The resort does try to provide entertainment for the guests with pool games, a nice variation of different music by the main pool, friendly staff, beach activities and some nightly shows however, it is what it is which is the hotel trying to entertain. If you want more you really need to go out of the resort. The nightly shows were mediocre. There are plenty of places in the resort to lounge with friends/family and have some drinks however, the resort really should provide some music in at least one of these lounge areas for guests who want to have a nice evening at the hotel rather than go to downtown Cancun. I found it way too quiet in the evenings since I wasn't up for hitting Cancun clubs with my daughters in tow. There should be some options for nightly lounging with some more atmosphere and music in the beautiful, balmy and breezy lobby areas. We did take the city bus for ten pesos or $1 U.S.D dollar and went walking around to the downtown area for some more atmosphere. I found it safe and good for souvenir shopping. There is a lively and great restaurant called Mextreme that has dancing waiters that are such fun and mariachi performing with great drinks and food that my family and I thoroughly enjoyed. The cocktails at the resort are on the weaker side but you can tip to get stronger drinks if you'd like. Or can order shots and pour into your drinks to make to your liking. But even so, the pina colada and other frozen mixes were somewhat watery as compared to other resorts I've stayed at in places like Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Jamaica, Florida, etc. The main lobby bar had the best drinks by far.

I found the bus ride to downtown to be only 5 minutes and it was safe however, you may not want to be walking around after 10:30 pm with kids as downtown can get pretty loud and rowdy after that time.... I thought it was a great deal for the money however, I think in the future I'd pay a little more to have a resort with a nighttime music lounge and some more atmosphere in the evenings, wifi service, some soft towels, some lotion and hair conditioner as toiletry amenities are super scarce, less watered down drinks, and stronger air conditioning!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DeeCeeBx
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Just returned from a fantastic three week stay at Riu Caribe in Cancun, had a large room on the ninth floor with a fabulous view of the pool and sea, the food was excellent great selection of salads, fish, steak, prawns, crab, sushi the list goes on. We stayed from the 23rd July until the 13th of August, we never had a problem with getting sun beds, I was up at 7am every morning my choice, when I looked over my balcony at the pool area there were probably half a dozen beds with towels on. The beach was lovely and sandy and you could always get a sunbed there.
The staff were very friendly and helpful they work very hard , our room was cleaned every day and the fridge stocked with water, coke ,7 up ,beer and soda, the steakhouse was excellent but can't comment on Mexican or Asian as we didn't go. Great location just a bus ride into Cancun centre where you will find a great shopping mall. Nightlife is excellent if that's what you want. My only advice would be to book your trips before you go as they can be very expensive . Overall we had a fantastic stay with no problems I would definitely recommend this hotel. Cant wait to go back next year.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 985 excellent view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank gazfolkestone
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Just returned from this hotel. There was a few negative comments that had been made about this hotel but they are totally false.

Check in- smooth and speedy, even given a welcome cocktail.

Room- 991 (5nights) was in the older style but was still clean and spacious. Min bar was well stocked and was replenished every day.

During our stay we had to move room as the was a leak in the roof near our room.

Room 961 (5 nights) This room was in the new style and this was very clean and fresh. Beautiful bathroom with double sinks. Fresh bedding and towels every day.

Food- Was a massive range of food with everything that you could think of. This hotel has the best selection of fruit and salads that I have seen at a hotel in along time. You can eat for 24 hours a day.
Steakhouse very good, Mexican is ok nothing special. Didn't go to the Asian one. Was a little difficult to get time slots as the hotel busy so filled up quickly.
Drinks- very good selection of alcohol and soft drinks. Main bar shuts at 12.00 but the sports bar is open 24 hours.

Pool- Two pools with plenty of sun beds even when coming to the pool at 10.15. The main pool is very noisy and busy as that is where the entertainment is under taken. but there is a smaller pool that is quitter. Fresh towels every day. The pools where very warm due to being 32 every day so they where not very cooling.

Beach- hotel on the beach, very clean and the sea was cooler than the pools.

Staff- very friendly and very helpful.

Overall a lovely hotel with very good facility's.

Couple of pointers to bear in mind.

1- Trips that are sold at the hotel are very expensive- so I would recommend that you book them before you go out there on the internet.

2- At the aquarium at the shopping centre La Isla you can swim with dolphins for £70-100 which is a lot cheaper.

3- There was a lot of talk in the hotel about an exit tax. So we made sure that we had enough money app £90 in peousos, but when we got to the airport this was never asked for.

Overall we had an amazing time and would recommend this hotel and Mexico.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above level 5 so that you get a good sea view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank emmabecca
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Went with my partner, her son who is 16 and my son who is 14. Can't fault the hotel in any way at all. Clean, tidy, well presented and in an ideal position for trips to downtown Cancun.

The food was nothing short of excellent, a huge variety of choices from numerous influences and to be honest we only went to one of the speciality diners for the grilled fish.

The hotel has had a refurb' last winter and was spotless, the staff were brilliant, courteous and always made you feel welcome and at home.

The close proximity to the Carribean Sea meant that you don't need to sit near a noisy pool all day and there was a quiet pool if you didn't want to go to the beach.

As a family we do not stay in the hotel when we go all inclusive so we spent more money on trips to eat out on a night, we did stay in once or twice and the entertainment was not to our liking but that is personal preference. The entertainment staff were working very hard all day every day.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Riu Caribe and I will look for a Riu hotel at our next holiday destination.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 4th floor if you want a spectacular view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family