“Avoid at this time !!”

Ranked #142 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Portland, Oregon
“Avoid at this time !!”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Just returned from 9 days at the Girosol.We have stayed in 7 "all inclusive" hotels since we discovered Cancun, but we decided despite the luxury we cannot eat or drink enough to justify the cost, read a pleasant review of the Girosol so gave it a try. First the good news: The location is superb ,everything is within walking distance and theres is a lot going on.The staff maintains the high quality of service i have come to know in Mexico and If it wasn't for Carmina {the tour booking agent} we may still be at the antiquated front desk trying to check in,where there still using cubby holes for keys and carbon paper!! We stayed in a fully remodeled unit on the seventh floor and it really was very nice, outstanding ocean view, very nice..at first glance.. but soon we discovered some glaring problems. .... no toilet paper, no paper towels,or kleenex, no bottle opener or corkscrew ,very limited flat ware,limited silverware and no place to put it. A new 15 gallon hot water tank.Yes, 15 gallons almost enough for 1 shower.No bath matt,a closet but no closet rod , 2 beds but no other furniture ,i.e.. end tables ,couch etc. {our luggage remained on the floor} we rec. some items 2 days later.Cable tv with 2 english stations {most of the time} We were told there was a DVD player..packed 10 DVDs but the player is not zoned for US DVDs .They did not work.I could go on... really,but i think you get the picture. On the hotel.. One working elevator.. capacity 6 ,Its a 9 story building so the elevator was often unavailable, the elevator was out of service for 2.5 days .We had to hoof it up 7 floors..that was rough.Honestly folks,the elevator was scary,i often thought it might fall out from under me and it did open a few times before it arrived at the designated floor!! We made inquires to Cancun rentals to leave after a couple of days to know avail. I work in travel have been all over the world this is probably the worse hotel i have ever stayed in. I cannot slight the staff ,they did all they could to be helpful but there only so much they could do. That said,I do feel the owner of our condo was very negligent in making sure simple basic living items were furnished. WE ended up buying paper towels etc,etc,etc. All this being said.. The water is awesome,the sand is blond and i surfed nearly everyday. PS ..avoid the restaurant too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank charley k

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We generally stay in AI resorts when visiting Cancun. we have tired of the food, and we tend to eat off the resort regardless of out all inclusive options. Before booking this unit we noticed there were very few reviews, and the ones we did find were not very good. We have been to Cancun numerous time and we were familiar with the building and location. we decided to be brave and give this a try. we were also booking on fairly short notice and the condos for rent were slim pickings. so we decided to try this.

We had a wonderful experience. WE did NOT book through the "hotel" we booked privately through an owner and i suggest this as you then know exactly which unit you will get and what to expect.(floor,view,) We rented one of the penthouse two bedroom 3 bathroom units. the price was very reasonable and the unit was well kept if not a tad worn down.

the location was perfect for walking to shopping, markets, and nightlife. we were on the ocean side and We did not notice the noise from bar district at all. There is construction happening on numerous units but they start and finish at reasonable times.

If your on a budget the "surfin Burrito" is a two minuet walk for fast and inexpensive breakfast or dinner.

some rooms have wi-fi, but ours did not. we just wandered down to the lobby when we needed access. the lobby is nothing fancy but has a few seats for wifi use.

All in all we were pleased with our stay. Perhaps slightly lower end than i would generally like, but we have already booked to return so i guess it was pretty good!

Room Tip: try vrbo or homeaway webpages to find the room type and views you want. most are individually owned...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank peanut99922
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I booked a condo at the Girasol Memorial Day weekend 2013. Upon arriving I was mortified by the outside appearance of the building. The building is old, dilapidated, rusty, and downright scary! Upon checkin, I was informed that a 2 br condo (sleeps 6) only had one key. They suggested that we leave the key at the front desk. 0_o

I was already disgusted with the property but before deciding to run and go elsewhere, I wanted to see the inside of the unit. The elevator was the creepiest death trap I'd ever been in. It was about 3x4 with no lights. There was a sign that said its capacity was 8 people, but clearly no more than 3 people could fit.

We attempted to open the door w/ the key provided to us and it did not work. A maintenance person and maid had to assist us but kicking the door and using WD40.

Once inside the unit was a lot nicer than the outside. It small but clean and nicely furnished. The spiral stair case was a problem. It was more like a ladder. It was nearly too small for me to go up and down and I am 5'4.

After inspecting the place. I decided I couldn't comfortably stay there I just didnt feel safe in a run down building with lots of vacant units, questionable security and no lights outside. I opted to go to another hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank TaviaH661

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2011

This hotel was ok. We had stayed 2 nights there. The room is very large (we were sleeping 5 in it). There is a private balcony with a panoramic view on the beach and the ocean: amazing! The air conditioning was working well. The bathroom was large and clean. The toilet and the shower are in the same room. In another, there are the sink and the closet. The beds are really really REALLY strong. I had never slept before of a bed strong like this... but I had sleep well. The clean between the 1st and the 2nd day was very quick: new towels, that's it! There is wifi in the lobby only, but it is free. It is possible to have breakfast at the hotel for around 100 pesos (it is really nice breakfast!). There is a swimming pool. The water is not so clean, but it is nice to go in the swimming pool after the beach. The staff seems to be nice as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a view on the oceanfront, it is the same price.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jonathan H
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I'll try to be fair about the Girasol. Yes, it's in a great location. No argument there. You're walking distance to all the nightlife that Cancun has to offer and you're right on the beach.

But that's about where the positives end.

The pool was only half full. Literally. It was supposed to be 5' feet deep but was onlly about 2.5' deep. The steps and ladders were above the water line. There were ants all over our kitchen counter. The condo looked like it hadn't had a good cleaning in quite some time. The A/C didn't work. Or maybe it did and it wasn't on the right setting. We wouldn't know, because the control panel was destroyed. Oh, and the plumbing in the building can't handle toilet paper. Fine...when in Rome, right? But the condo was not equipped with lidded garbage cans. Catch my drift?

Based on the price we paid and a quick search of several travel sites, it appears that you can get a room/suite at one of the resorts for approximately the same price as we paid for the condo during the offseason. I'd strongly recommend doing so.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank tsarsteve
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 April 2011

I stayed here for the night prior to my departure from CUN. Upon arriving at the Cancun bus station on a grueling 13 hour trip from Villahermosa, I asked the taxi driver to take me to the Hotel Bonampak. Usually I choose hotels online, but Cancun was a unique situation and I was unable to do that. He recommended instead that I go to Hotel Colonial; and then another taxista stepped in and told me of a hotel in the Zona Hotelera where I could stay for about N$700 / night. I was in!

We arrive there and I am told that I was quoted the rate for the low season rather than the high season, but he could give me a room for N$900. I took it. Prior to the purchase, he showed me the room: it looked good on first sight. In particular, I was taken away by the beautiful beach view. First impressions can be deceiving...

First, the air conditioning barely worked. I still think it might have been on "fan mode". Too bad, because the control panel was broken off, leaving two bare potentiometers, both immobile without pliers.

This prompted me to open the doors out to the beach. Believe it or not, it was a fair amount cooler outside than in the room. I went out to an internet cafe and quesadilla vendor, and when I came back, all soft surfaces in the room - beds and all - were "caked" in a "mildew"-like moisture, and ants had invaded my bottle of strawberry-flavored water. This made it very difficult to sleep. I think I might have gotten four - maybe five - hours of sleep there?

In addition, the TV only had about ten channels, one of which actually came in clearly. It lacked a remote and the "CH DOWN" button was broken off on the TV. The mirror and other objects were covered in paint, dirt, or some other substance.

I definitely would not recommend this hotel to anybody, for any price - at least the room I stayed at (Habitacion N 204).

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank tvdxer
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 March 2011

Me and 4 friends stayed at the Girasol Condos for Spring Break March 12, 2011 for one week. We booked thru Student Breaks.-all inclusive package, which is definitely worth the cost for the extra money for VIP passes. Thank you student breaks, you were the cheapest and the easiest to work with. Girasol wasnt the most luxurious hotel but it was clean; just basic apartment, beds were kinda hard but we werent there to spend much time in our hotel room. The room was on the 1st floor and we had our own patio which walks right out onto the beach. The Girasol was within walking distance to EVERYTHING! We had a great time. Definitely a great place to stay for spring break. Cant wait to go back!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends