“Wonderful Place”

The Royal Caribbean
Ranked #36 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Always a fantastic vacation place. We have been members for over 20 years and always find it to be a 5 star resort. All the amenities you could hope for. Staff will go out of their way - Perfection at it's best.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gmcmcd
Write a ReviewReviews (2,223)

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Wow and Wow again! The worst experience I've ever had!!
The manager Pedro will put this place out of business!
As a courtesy I informed the desk that we were going to Uxmal for 2 days than returning. Please don't think we are checking out. I like seeing real Mexico and some culture. Pedro would not let me leave with out paying my bill 115US. He ordered the driveway to be blocked!
Now I had a credit card on file as required. He than called the police who than pulled me over after we were no longer detained by Pedro. They demanded money if I wanted to continue my vacation, only after stating O you are the one from the hotel ! Well knowing Mexico and if you know what one must do ......, and continued my vacation.
Just to mention my travel experience , I've been an international Airline pilot for 25 years. I've been a few places.
I would NEVER go back to this place even if it were free.
When we returned our Frig was empty so no breakfast,
there was no soap for our early shower before departure, and , and , and!
OK all has been warned!
And more: The gym is $8 US, Food poor , the place is run down. Store 300% mark up, and they don't let you leave as mentioned!
And as far as someone who states " They would complain about the Taj Mahal"
They don't get out much or travel much... The Taj Mahal is a mausoleum !! That is for dead people!!!
Good luck

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Robert F
Cristóbal G, Online Community Administrator. at The Royal Caribbean, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post about your recent visit to our resort.

Your feedback is very important for us as it helps us identify areas where there is room for improvement and work to make sure that we fulfill the needs of our guests to their complete satisfaction. We are sharing these comments with the departments in question so that they can take steps to improve where service has been found to be wanting.

We would like to give you a sincere apology for your experience with the manager on duty at the resort. We are sure that this was the result of a misunderstanding as he is an experienced and very courteous member of staff with several years in this position and this is the first time we have received a complaint about him. Moreover, in reference to your comments about front desk staff, we must stress that the individuals called to assist staff were security personnel from the resort, Royal Resorts did not call the police and it is important to clarify this point.

We are sorry to learn about the incident that occurred once you left the resort premises and wish to make clear that Royal Resorts has no relationship with the police whatsoever. It is unfortunate that your experience has left you with a negative image of Mexico as a country. We would like to point out that this is not the norm and help lines are available if you feel that you have been the victim of police abuse.

On your departure, and given the circumstances, the Housekeeping department was instructed to leave your room as you left it. On your return, the maid cleaned and restocked your room, as she would do in any given week.

With regard to your surprise about the gym fee, we believe that there has been a misunderstanding. The aforementioned fee is mentioned in the documentation sent to you when you exchanged. We understand that the amount of information you receive can sometimes be overwhelming and we will make sure that the reference to the gym fee is even clearer for future guests. However, our reports clearly state that you were offered our weekly discounted fee but, unfortunately, it didn’t meet your expectations.

We would also like to mention that the resort store is restocked on a regular basis and we work hard to keep prices competitive with shops in the surrounding area. Some prices may vary, nevertheless the 300% markup you refer to for is completely inaccurate and we think it must be a price tag error. Your claim is being checked to ensure that all pricing is correct. It is important to note that members of staff are always on hand in the store to assist shoppers, check prices if there is any doubt and any answer questions that they may have.

We are sorry that you also found the food to be poor, although you do not appear to be referring to a specific meal or was your comment about the variety of options on the menu. It is important to note that all the Royal Resorts restaurants are certified as a Distintivo H establishment. This is a certification awarded by the Mexican Ministry of Tourism and the Mexican Ministry of Health to restaurants that fulfill the rigorous standards of food storage and preparation established by Mexican code NMX-F605 NORMEX 2004. The aforementioned code complies with the highest quality and health standards in the world.

Royal Resorts is a Cancún pioneer and has been welcoming guests to the Mexican Caribbean for more than 35 years now, always striving to offer the highest levels of service to our guests and ensure that they have the best vacation experience ever. Nevertheless, as in any company anywhere in the world, there is always room for improvement and the comments of our guests play an important role in this ongoing process.

Please feel free to contact us if we can provide further assistance.

Warm Regards.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I am a member at both the Royal Caribbean and at the Royal Sands. They have always been a favorite vacation spot for many years. This year I was accompanied by my new husband and close friends. Over the years they have been able to keep the facility in good condition and have hired pleasant, hard working personnel. I am not crazy about the " all inclusive" change implemented and am thankful that as a member I do the option to opt out of this plan. During out stay, we unfortunately witnessed a drowning at the beach. The life guard went in to safe two young teens and after returning to his stand was called to rescue another swimmer. There was a delay in the rope being twisted and he was not able to use it when he entered the ocean a second time. The life guard did his best and I wonder if this tragedy could have be avoided if the lifeguards worked in pairs. I am troubled that the Royals saved money in staffing and this may have cost someone their life. I did have several spa treatments and they were wonderful. I felt completely pampered.

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful. Your are lucky if you obtain one facing the ocean
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank irene m
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The Royal Caribbean Resort is a great getaway timeshare resort. We stay in a beachside two bedroom with a full kitchen. All the amenities of a full service hotel, including daily mail service. Staff is friendly, attentive, and bend over backwards to please.

I highly recommend this timeshare, whether you own or trade.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank AWH5785
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I am a member and have NO problems with any aspect of the club. I have a penthouse, so I hear no noise, with a pool, beach view from my 1200 sg ft villa. I read a review that said the staff was rude and the place was outdated, which I totally do not understand. Probably would write a bad review of the Taj Mahal.
5 stars all around. Prices are increasing, but that is everywhere.

Room Tip: You cannot really choose a room unless you pay extra for beachfront. I personally do not like those...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank sdscorp
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The room was fine, came with a small kitchenette for some water boiling, fridge and microwave. It was clean and quiet. There are small groceries stores near the lobby. The pools were clean and came with a pool bar. There was beach access. Several restaurants including in neighboring Royal resorts. Not real Mexican food but not too bad. All around no frills stay.

The one thing that made me mad was that we were in the hotel lobby waiting for tours to pick us up. 30 minutes later the tour still hasn't come so we wanted to call the company to see if we had been forgotten. We went to the receptionist to ask to call the tour company and they told us that because the number is a cell number, we had to use the phone and pay 14 pesos a minute to dial. For the amount of money we're paying, is it too much to ask that the reception help us call and not make us pay for it as well? This is not some personal call, it was urgent, it was to a Mexican tour company, and the hotel had phones everywhere, outside near the bell boys, inside at the reception, but no, they had to make us to go the side and pay for it. We stayed at a cheap inn later on in Cabo and the receptionist there not only did not charge us for dialing but also helped us find information about tours. I guess this is the problem with a large hotel with inflexible policies and management.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tracyx

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post about our resort.

We are glad to learn you enjoyed your overall experience during your most recent visit to our resort. We understand that your transportation being delayed for tours and activities can be upsetting. However: those services are provided by third party companies with their own processes and we are powerless over that situation.

We are looking forward to welcome you back during your next visit to Mexican Caribbean.

Warm Regards.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Went to Cancun on a 1st time 'annual' ladies getaway (April 2013). The Royal Caribbean was a great resort. The suite we had was fabulous, it had bedroom with king sized bed, bathroom, living/dining room, 2 murphy beds, balcony the length of suite, full size kitchen. Room service kept the suite clean and left extra towels at times. The staff is friendly, welcoming, and helpful (our currency exchange lesson at check -- thank you). The beach is GREAT and the pool(s) FABULOUS.

All areas are beyond clean and I am a clean freak. The lobby, hallways, elevators, gym (kind of small), pool area, beach, bathrooms in pool area..all CLEAN!!!! You see staff cleaning from sun up to sun down. Staff speaks with a smile. LOVED LOVED when the 'happy hour' bell rang at the swim up bar....jump in and away you go. There is someone that hand cleaned the tiles around the pool EVERY morning. What you see in pictures in what you see in person.

This was a dream vacation..was not crowded, loud, rowdy, just perfect. I would without a doubt stay at The Royal Caribbean in Cancun again. Did hear it was supposed to go to 'timeshares' I hope not. You must ride the local bus, it is an experience you will enjoy and not forget. You go all the way downtown for an inexpensive fare and we shopped at Wal-Mart for water and snacks. The market downstairs (lobby area) we shopped at for our breakfast items and snacks as well. You will enjoy your stay.

Oh the water was a little choppy and we visited a sister property up the road and the water calmer but had a lot of seaweed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends