“Honesty and professionalism”

Charter Fishing Cancun
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a reliable fishing company and we offer a completely personalized services with reasonable and competitive prices. Our boats are eqquiped for sport fishing, with capacity for 8- 12 passengers. For us, safety comes first, that is why we have all the necesary equipment, insurance for passengers and all fishing licenses that requires mexican goverment. The captain and the crew are life experienced. We are hard working and honest people.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Honesty and professionalism”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I would definitely recommend Charter Fishing Cancun for anyone vacationing in Cancun or Playa del Carmen. Fernando is very professional and seems to really love what he does. He goes out of his way to make sure his clients needs are met.
We did some research on the web about the fishing companies based in Cancun and sent some e-mails asking about what we could expect to fish on the dates we would be in Cancun. Fernando was very honest. He told us that the billfish season was over and that fishing was running slow, that it would be hard to catch bill fish. However, at the end of our trip, we caught 3 snappers, little groupers, bonitos and a very decent mahi.

We will be using them again next time we go to Cancun and would recommend them to anyone who wants a memorable Cancun experience.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Christine V

Thibodaux, Louisiana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Charter Fishing Cancun”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

After reading all the positive reviews I booked an 8 hour trip June 15, 2013 to target sailfish (water depth>500 ft) as this was the recommended length for the best opportunity to catch a sailfish. I was promptly picked up at the hotel as planned and dropped at the dock a little bit early. The boat was not there, so there was a little wait time for them to arrive. Fernando kept the conversation going while waiting. Once the vessel arrived there were the usual introductions, etc. prior to shoving off. The vessel was fairly well-kept and the Yanmars purred. Off to the canyon I thought. The crew started to get all the gear out and set up. About 30 minutes from port, the captain decided to set out lines, water depth at this point was only ~250 ft. We then trolled out to deeper water. In my mind this wasted about an hour of valuable fishing time. After approximately 2.5 hours we finally make it to deep water where we settled in and waited for the bite to begin. It wasn't too long before the starboard outrigger snapped and a ~33 lb bull Mahi Mahi had taken the bait. A 30 minute fight ensued before landing and getting set back up. At 11:00 the captain made a decision to head to shallow water, ~250 ft or so. I noticed this at about 11:30. All total I got about 2.5 hours of deep water fishing for sails, out of the 8 hours (minus travel time) I paid for. Needless to say, this was a bit disturbing. We continued to troll for another hour or so, when the captain approaches me about going bottom fishing. Since we were already in shallow water, I agreed since we couldn't have gotten back to deep water to do what I thought I had paid for. I ended the day with 1 bull mahi mahi, 4-5 snapper, a barracuda, and a queen trigger fish.

Recommendation forward - be very clear about what your expectations are, i.e. bottom fishing or trolling. Out of 5.5 - 6 hours that I should have spent in deep water, we only spent about 2.5 hours. If trolling is your thing, make sure the captain gets to deep water ASAP. Have them wind up those Yanmars. Make sure the equipment is ready to go and don't stop to set out baits until you’re in deep water or at least its closer than an hour away as this takes away from your fishing time.

The crew was courteous and Fernando wanted full payment up front. I should have given him half and keep the other half and paid if satisfied.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank KentG13815
Fernando C, Owner at Charter Fishing Cancun, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
We appreciate all the feedback, because allow us to improve our service. When Ken came back from his fishing trip, I was on the dock waiting for him and he kindly told me all this feedback about the trip. He also gave a generous tip to the crew.

A few hours later I spoke with the captain and I reminded him that in this business we will take in count all the clients expectations. He said that he moved the boat from deep water (500 ft) to swallow water (250 usd) trying to fish a sail fish on the same spot that he fished one the day before. I’m aware that sail fish area is deep water, but this is fishing and you never know, if something is not working you must try another thing. However and due the experience of our client, it was a wrong captain decision, he must stick with the client wishes, even if this means that may catch nothing.

During the process of booking a private charter with us, I encourage our clients to tell me a little bit of what kind of fish they are looking for, if they have deep sea fishing experience, if they are celebrating a birthday, a wedding or if they have kinds on the group or anything that help us a give a better service.

We cannot guarantee a particular fish species (this is fishing, not catching), but we can assure very good service, hard work and honest people trying to give the best experience.

Finally, I ask for the full pay before the boats leaves because this is how it works this business, all the companies that provide services on the ocean or lagoon works the same way, at least in Cancun.
Vero Beach, Florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great fishing trip and I hate fishing!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

I booked a trip based on reviews for my husband who loves to fish. We went on a smaller boat named Tatiana. I hate fishing personally but know my husband loves to and I heard it was good in Cancun. I had the best time ever! Jesus and the Captain were very good. Jesus is a hustler and worked his butt off all day working all the gear and doing his best to make sure we were catching fish. At one point we were arguing over who had to reel in the next fish because we were all tired!! Another time, I was recording the others all reeling in fish at once! Just want to give a special shout out to Jesus who worked harder than anyone I've ever seen work on a boat. Thanks for a great day fishing from an avid fisherman and a wife who had to admit she had a great time fishing of all things. Lol.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Crazycastillos
Waltham, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“only wish we'd gone out for longer!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

I booked a trip for just my husband and i for his birthday. super easy to reserve with Fernando with minimal deposit, remainder paid in cash the day of. He arranges your transport, greets you at the dock, introduces you to the crew, stays while the captain talks about the plans, and is there when you return. the crew was awesome-- we went on a very windy day, huge waves, and i was worried about getting sea sick-- Roberto was a very cool captain, and put my mind at ease. The crew worked hard to get us some fish-- ended up with a big grouper, some smaller trigger fish, a few bonito. my only regret is that i didn't spend the extra $ to book a 6hr trip. the 4hr trip seemed to go by way to fast, and i would have loved to have spent more than one hour trolling, and one hour bottom fishing (it's about an hour out to the fishing grounds past the national park/coral reef). saw some sea turtles on the way-- overall, a great experience with a very professional crew.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank must_travel008
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Highly recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

In Cancun for a wedding, I organized a guy's day out for 8 people that started with a 6 hour fishing trip with Fernando. Dealing with Fernando was a breeze - he responded promptly and gave us all the information we needed. We paid up front by Paypal which was the easiest thing for us and had absolutely no issue.

On the day in question, our driver arrived on time to pick us up from our resort (despite a screw up on our part). Once we set sail, Roberto and his crew worked tirelessly to make sure that everyone caught a fish. While the crew seemed disappointed we didn't come home with more it wasn't from lack of effort on their part. More to the point, nobody in our group was complaining. Quite the opposite, the talk of the week was how much fun everyone had. Our haul for the day was 1 red snapper, 1 tuna, 2 barricuda, 1 mackeral, 2 grouper, 1 red snapper and 3 trigger fish.

Lots of fun. I highly recommend it.

Visited April 2013