“Far from the best”

Hostel Mundo Joven Cancun
Ranked #20 of 149 Speciality Lodging in Cancun
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We spent one night in mundo joven hostel and we were scared to take our clothes off to sleep because there was many "spots" on the blanket, it was very loud at night, it stinks..really, there is no hot water and before we came here we had to cancel our reservation for 2 nights, i wrote 3 messages to 2 differents e-mail they gave us and i had an answer only 3 days later, so i had to book again because i was worried they would have cancelled our last night here...the only good points are the location near the bus station but far from the beach and the roof top is nice too but the jacuzzi is so dirty i saw no one in it...

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank van-s-ah

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I just spent one night here, upon arriving in Cancun. It's only minutes on foot from the main bus station, making it extremely practical. The guy at the reception was friendly and helpful. Dorms are male or female and there were just a few girls in my very large room, which I think had 10 beds. It was a reasonable price. There is a big individual locker next to each dorm bed, but you need to have your own padlock (which I did). Inside each locker is an electrical plug, a wonderful idea if you want to charge batteries, phone or iPad, because you can lock it up while it's charging.

The bathroom was clean though the water in the shower was pretty cold. Not sure if it ever gets warmer.There is a rooftop bar to have a drink or to use WiFi, and there is also a computer room on the roof. It was a friendly crowd of mainly young people. They give people a paper bracelet to wear, I suppose for security reasons. There is breakfast included in the price, but as I had a very early morning bus departure, I did not discover what the breakfast was. There is a supermarket across the street and money changers just near the bus station, so it's very convenient.

I'd recommend this hostel to any budget traveler who wants a practical location to stay short-term.

1  Thank Janet W
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed here for a few nights in December. Overall the stay was very pleasant and i found it easy to get around Cancun from here. The ADO bus station is just one or two blocks away so you can walk there easily.

There were a few small issues that were dealt with efficiently by the hostel owner. The room rate charged was higher than what i had paid for online, but was rectified. There was no wifi available in the rooms which was not ideal. However, they do have computers to use on the terrace. My room was a private room and was HUGE. i was very impressed in terms of hostel rooms. I had a shared 4 people dorm room the 2nd night, which was ok too. The breakfast provided was good enough to help you start your day. Stephen at the front desk was very patient, friendly and helpful. I am sure he will help you with all your questions :)

I booked a Chichen Itza tour through the hostel at $56 usd but i later found other companies offering it for $30. You might want to shop around before booking.

There is a park nearby which has lots of local stalls where you can wander and eat till you burst! You can get your laundry done next door to the hostel too.

I am sure you will enjoy Cancun as much as i did :)

Room Tip: Private rooms are clean and BIG
2  Thank TravellingNessy
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

We arrived at The hostel with our receipt of booking. We were then told that the Hostel had not received our booking and the hostel was fully booked, and therefore would not have a place to stay. They assured us that they would attempted to find us alternatives which I suppose was the least they could do. They were unsuccessful, however per chance a cancellation freed up a room for us. The room was ok, probably what we were expecting. Bed wasn't very comfortable. There was a pungent odour throughout our room when we got in and the stench never left. Glad we only stayed one night here.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Possum1988
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The staff were friendly and accommodating; the rooms were very spacious, clean and air-conditioned; and the rooftop bar/social space was an excellent place to unwind and make friends. The bathrooms and showers were well-maintained, and there was a locker available for personal effects beside every bed complete with plugs! The internet was fast and easy to access, and the location was close to the bus station and several nice restaurants. The hostel was a little far away from the beach, however this meant the room prices were that much better!

This is a great place to stay if you ever find yourself travelling through Cancun, and especially if you are travelling by bus. I highly recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Katlynd T
Reviewed 3 January 2014

One of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. The staff were SO lovely and fun. They all partied with us on the rooftop and took us out to a local salsa club, which was 100 times better than any of the tourist joints. Staff are helpful and very welcoming. There were a few staying in my dorm room and they were very kind and warm. It telt like a family! The rooftop bar/jacuzzi area is seriously incredible. It is perfect to meet other people. I stayed there for 3 nights by myself and made an excellent group of friends, just by hanging out having a beer on the rooftop.

It's clean and comfortable. It's in the downtown district but honestly I think that's better than being in the hotel district (on the beach). The local bus to the beach goes from around the corner, takes about 20 minutes and is a great way to have an authentic experience. The downtown area has way more character and actually feels like Mexico, instead of Florida (like the hotel district feels like).
I would definitely stay here again. I can't wait to come back!

1  Thank ashleykate1234
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We loved the rooftop bar and hang space, free use of computers and internet, AC, and proximity to the bus station(only 2 blocks away from the ADO). Their reception staff also very friendly and happy people! This hostel is perfect if you are fliying in or out of Cancun. Recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple