“The best hostel EVER!”

Ranked #13 of 131 Speciality Lodging in Cancun
Merida, Mexico
“The best hostel EVER!”
Reviewed 16 January 2013

During my stay in the hostel, everything was very nice, ultra clean, excelent service, great location, the pool was amazing, very safe... It make you feel like if you are in a 5 stars hotel! You are very close to the most typical place in Cancun and a block from ADO, so you can travel anywhere anytime!

Room Tip: Dorms are very comfortable and also the suites! It has everything!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank GerardoRodea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Was staying one night only and my impression is that this is a well organised and very clean hostel. The clean and super nice pool gives an extra plus of course and the very helpful and friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2012
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We stayed here just 1 night in the 6 person dorm - 180 pesos. The hostel is clean, staff is friendly, and you can't beat having a pool close-by. Breakfast is bare minimum - toast, jam, instant coffee and banaas

The hostel has poor security, lockers in the room are flimsy and there was no lock/key to the door of our room.

The fans in our room didn't work and we turned the AC on - no way to control that and it got super chilly in the night. Staff came, tried a bunch of remotes, and then left without turning it off.

The location is great and I'd stay here for a night or two, but it's loud in the hallways and reviews of theft are troubling.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank appyrae
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 21 December 2012

This hostel is very clean but about the quietness it depends of the location of the room. It is my second time here this year and the two times, there is an error with my reservation. This time the private room I reserved has no remote control for the air con and no fan...so they gave me a Suite room close to the street and the office desk. We can hear voices and the sound of the water cascade in front of the hostel. The breakfast is very basic: instant coffee, white bread...Some of the office desk have a very low English. So if you can get a room at the second level it can be a very good choice.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed 11 November 2012

I got into the Cancun ADO bus terminal at 10.30pm and hadn't done my homework. Luckily, there are people around the terminal, eager to bring you to hotels and hostels for a commission from the establishments. I told the ´guide´my requirements and he whisked me away first to Hotel El Meson de Tulum (read my review on that, it is a great one!). When I arrived at 11pm, I was told by the receptionist that I could only use the computer until 12am and I wanted to use it a little longer. So my guide brought me to Moloch. So Moloch costs 160 pesos for a dorm room, whereas Tulum costs 100. The receptionist told me that I was able to use the computer for as long as I wanted, so after checking the beds and the bathroom, I settled in. Then I checked tripadvisor to see reviews on the hostel. Upon finishing reading all the reviews, I started to worry about my stuff getting stolen.

Facts

You enter into the door and the receiptionist's desk is right there. To the right, is the dining room and open kitchen. When you get to the kitchen, there is a door leading to the TV room. There is a large flat screen tv with cable (that you will probably need the help of the receptionist to operate). Adjoining that is an area with 2 decent computers.

There are private as well as multiple mixed and female dorm rooms. I stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm with the public shared bath, but there were other rooms that had 4 beds. Beyond that is a corridor that leads to 3 sinks and then the shared bathrooms. 4-5 toilets (I forgot exactly), 5 shower stalls and a shared stall to hang your dry clothes and towels, as the shower stalls were quite compact and didn't have any place to hang clothes. By the sink area is another doorway that leads to a decent sized pool (not big enough to swim in, but good for keeping cool).

Things I liked about the place:

+very close to the bus terminal, but further from the hustle and bustle
+the mattress was firm
+the place was clean
+the dorm room was air conditioned and the air conditioning was pretty cold (can be good and bad)
+the computers were actually pretty decent and the internet was pretty fast
+the pool seemed quite clean
+the bath towel, once I asked and got it, was luxuriously thick
+the hot water in the shower was not bad
+the smaller number of beds (4 and 6) in the dorm rooms

Things I didn't like:

-the night before, I tried to pay by credit card, but the machine didn't take American Express, even though the receptionist stubbornly tried to run it through 3-4 times. So, I said to the receptionist that I would pay tomorrow, as I had to go to the bank to exchange some Euros. He told me that I can pay by 12pm, the checkout time and I thought that was it. When I awoke next morning, I was greeted by a female receptionist that talked to me as if I was a criminal. She said that I owed the hotel money and that I needed to pay right away. I explained to her what happened and she wouldn't have it. She insisted that she try my credit card once more. Then she said that her boss was coming at 8am (it was around 7.30am when I first saw her) and that she would get into trouble if I did not pay. I also complained to her that I was very cold the night before because I didn't get any blankets (I noticed that my only roommate had one). She asked me to show her where I was staying. Before opening the door, I motioned her to keep quiet as I had a roommate that was still sleeping. She then asked me to show her my pillow. She unzipped the pillow and lo and behold inside the pillow was a fitted sheet for the bed and a flat sheet that would serve as a blanket (however, my roommate also had a brown thicker blanket. Also, during the night, I had actually thought that the pillow I got was very lumpy.) She told me that it was my fault for not realizing that the sheets were in the pillow and that I did not ask the receptionist for an extra blanket. Then she left the room. By that time, my roommate, a local guy that serves as a tour guide in the area, was woken up. I told him about what had happened and he said that I should´ve asked for a blanket if I was cold. I replied that it was very late when I finally settled in and I was too tired to think straight. He was actually aware of the female receptionist with a very bad attitude, as he is a frequent guest at the hotel and had also experienced her nastiness on occasions.

So after talking with him, I got a bit calmer and actually wanted to speak to her boss to complain about her bad attitude. By the time I went back out, it was about 8.30am. I asked the jerk receptionist to see her problem and she got defensive. Then, later on, she told me that she was the supervisor and that the boss wouldn't be there. She kept on demanding that I pay right then and threatened to call security if I didn't. So, I said for her to go ahead and call the police too. 2 security guards arrived and I explained to them the situation. My only roommate in the dorm, a local guy that is a tour guide came out and also tried to explain the situation. Luckily, the security guards were pretty understanding and gave me no problems. Instead, they told me to eat something to feel better. I said that because of the incidence last night, that the night receptionist didn't tell me about the sheets inside the towel, that I ought to get a discount, but of course the female receptionist would have none of that. Later on, another nicer female came to the desk. I said that I would be willing to pay 130 pesos instead of 160 peso. She said ok. I ate a couple slices of bread with jam and some fake orange juice, took a shower, then went to the bank to exchange some euros. Went back and gave the jerk receptionist the 130 pesos and she proceeded to hassle and heckle me and demanded I pay 160. I just went to my room, packed my stuff and left.

-the breakfast was bare minimum, with just bread, instant coffee, butter and jam
-though there was a water fountain with a 5 gallon bottle of purified water, it was marked staff only (they tried to get you to buy water from them)
-the night receptionist did not tell me about the hidden sheets in the pillow case, he also had to be asked to provide me a towel.
-the first shower stall was actually trickling water, so I had to change showers in the middle, but the second stall had a good water pressure.

Summary

I couldn't get out of there quick enough!!! First I froze my butt off. When I complained, I was told that it was my fault. Just horrible service from both receptionists and horrible attitude from the morning receptionist. Wanna press your luck? If not, stay away from this place.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank sinbadpw

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico
Reviewed 26 August 2012

This is a real find - ultra clean with a swimming pool very near the ADO bus station. At the end of the road there's a large square with lotsof places to eat and round the corner isthe main road where youcan get busto the beach or ferry to Isla Mejuries. I had booked into another hostel, but changed once I saw the inside. Cost £8 a night. A real bargain and a notch above other hostels at that price. But...not a party hostel as alcohol is not allowed. If you want a quiet few days to chill out, this is a bargain.

Room Tip: The Girks only room ensuite is great
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank themiddlemoffat
Paris, France
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I litterally got chucked out from this hostel with my daughter, 10 in may 2012 after being physically threatened by the chief receptionist...this happened the third time I stayed there for more than 3 weeks in total...I realize my mistake was not to report it to the police at the time but I was desperate to leave Cancun and had had such a hassle already with my credit card which got stolen and which I had asked to send there. The chief receptionist threatened me not to give it to me and to do whatever she wanted with it...
It is a real pity as this hostel has a nice potential as it is well located and quite comfortable. However the level of service is appallling with very unprofessional employees and a tyranic chief receptionist...She gets into the rooms whenever she likes, once she came into my room with two workers to replace some furniture...bad luck, I was coming out from the shower at that very moment...
I got my VISA card stolen and asked for an emergency one to be sent there which took 3 days. After staying3 times there for more than 3 weeks and paying the room every day, I asked if I could pay the next day as I was going to receive money by Western Union...they said that it was not possible unless I left my brand new laptop at the reception, not my passport or anything but my laptop...I was not going to escape with 5 bags and a 10 year old kid !

Honestly if you want a pleasant stay with friendly staff in a secure place, this is not the right place...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family