“Great improvements from previous reviews”

Moloch Hostel y Suites
Ranked #13 of 131 Speciality Lodging in Cancun
Perth, Australia
“Great improvements from previous reviews”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

After reading the previous reviews it was a little worrying to stay here...HOWEVER it was such a lovely and relaxing stay. They must have heeded people's comments because the breakfast was really good: cereals, juice, coffee, an assortment of teas, bread and yoghurt. The wifi is available at good signal throughout the building and the staff are really helpful and friendly. We stayed over new years and they put a complimentary buffet dinner on for guests on NYE! The location is great the hostel is one of the cleanest I have stayed in. The staff are always cleaning! The dorms are really spacious and the beds are clean and comfortable. There is also a pool and outside area for relaxing and sunbathing. A wonderful, well run little hostel with a quiet and relaxing atmosphere! Thanks for a memorable New Years

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 270LauraP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Toronto
Reviewed 23 September 2013

To be fair, I didn't sleep here because we were just looking for a place to crash during the day before our flight. So I can't speak to the quality of the beds. But the location is unbeatable -- literally a one minute walk from the ADO bus station (take a approx $5 USD bus ride from the airport to downtown). You can then take a city bus to the hotel/beach district.

Plus the hostel is neat and clean, filled with plants and sunshine. There is free wifi, a common area, computers, and a very nice deck surrounded by trees with a small but nice pool. The breakfast area is spacious and the kitchen is really great. The bathroom is clean and the showers have strong pressure and hot water.

We had a solid breakfast of toast/cereal/oatmeal/juice/coffee which was included in the approx $18 USD per night fee. Despite what other reviewers have said, I found the receptionist friendly. There is definitely limited security though. People walk in and out of the front door and there's no dorm room key. There are lockers provided.

Overall, this is a great budget option. I see other reviewers have mentioned bed bugs. We didn't see any but check your bed to make sure!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bronwyn17
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

The staff here are genuinely the rudest we have experienced in 6 months of travelling and we are not usually ones to complain. We stayed here two nights, the first in a dorm and the second in a private room up stairs. When we moved to the room it stank of stale smoke, when I asked if they had any spray she abruptly said no and that no one had been in the room so it shouldn't smell. 5 minutes later she reluctantly came up with some air freshener. When we moved to the room there was a small amount of building work going on, we were woken at a ridiculous time in the morning by banging and crashing. The builders were demolishing the wall opposite and the stairs by our room to get down were taped off, rubble all over the floor and bricks dropping down. It was a complete state and our room should have been blocked off, it was incredibly dangerous to walk down the steps which we had do to a couple of times with our bags. We said to the receptionist it was dangerous, no one told us there would be building work and we shouldn't have been up there and she could not have cared less. We were supposed to be leaving our bags to come back the next day so I said at last can we leave our bags for free as we paid for a room which stank of smoke and was in the middle of a construction zone. Instead of being understanding she doubled the price to store our bags and said pay it or take your bags, of course we left, very annoyed at such rudeness and that we had given them custom. It is a shame as it is a nice clean hostel with good dorms. Shame about the staff, lousy breakfast, lousy wifi and lack of atmosphere.

2 Thank PKE27

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

This hostel has great potential as it is in a great location and is a nice building, however the staff made this stay the least favourite of my 6 month travels. They were rude, obnoxious and unhelpful. The hostel also has a terrible atmosphere. We left half way through our stay in cancun as we didn't want to put up with the receptionists attitude for any longer

3 Thank Nathryn_22
Reviewed 5 August 2013

i am not one to usually write a review but my treatment at this place was disgusting.
we arrived late after a long day of travel and i awoke to a live bed bug crawling around my bed. i squished it and took it to the receptionist who acted like its wasnt a big deal. i showered and put my clothes i was wearing in a bag for the wash and asked her if they could move to another room and would they pay for my washing. luckily i had slept in my travel clothes and didnt open my bag. not only did she refused to pay the 23pesos for my laundry but then went on to accuse me of planting the bug myself and promptly asked me to leave the property as she "didnt want a problem staying there."
so so rude and i would never recommend this hostel due to my experience.
not only was i made to move but am now looking forward to seeing how many times that bug bit me, all with no sympathy from the staff.

1 Thank Samantha S
Ayangue, Ecuador
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I had a private room with TV, air conditioning and bath for 380 pesos per night which was great, and the location is terrific too. They cleaned every day, new sheets, towels, etc. The pool area is very nice, there are a couple of computers and nice lounge areas outside. My only complaints are that the breakfast was basically non-existent (I had to buy my own elsewhere), and the WiFi did not work in the rooms - and more importantly did not work in any of the nice lounge areas or by the pool. The only place it worked (and not that well...) was in the eating area and computer room.

Room Tip: A-3 upstairs was good
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 May 2013

The hostel is a converted house located near the bus station and Parque de las Palapas. It is a lovely little place with a swimming pool and pleasant enough in decor. I came with a friend and when we both walked in, the receptionist, who was doing something in the kitchen area came up to us and basically asked us what we wanted. She was definitely not friendly and looked as if she'd rather not be bothered. We asked to see the room and she went on to explain that it was a room with a bed and bathroom. We asked again and without much gusto, she took us to the room. We were kind of turned off by the attitude but after searching around, there were no other places available so we went back.

She asked us again what we wanted, even though we weren't gone for longer than half an hour and made it very clear that she could only rent the room for one night because it was booked for the weekend already.

We got a private room and it has the rather odd construction of a very deep step to get into the room, as if you were climbing into a well. The bathroom was also elevated and has two steps up. There were shampoo, soap and towels with a fan and a tv, all pleasant enough. Even though they were private rooms, you could hear the doors about open and close and even a light tap on the wall will be heard.

Breakfast the next morning consisted of toast, instant coffee and fake juice.

The place itself is lovely. The receptionist, not so much.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends