“We had a really great stay!”

GR Caribe by Solaris
Ranked #25 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Vancouver, Canada
“We had a really great stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We went there for 7 days with my parents and my boyfriend. We had a really good stay. They have great foods, and the stuffs are very friendly and helpful. the only thing is that the pool is small, but you can go to the hotel next door's which has better pools . Great value! we had a good choice.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
We are happy to hear how much you have enjoyed your stay, especially the food and facilities of both hotels. Thank you for pointing out how friendly and helpful our staff is. We appreciate your comment, thank you for sharing your Solaris Experience on Tripadvisor.

Hope you come back and visit us soon.

Warm regards from Cancún to Vancouver.
^X

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

By requesting an ocean view room we were upgraded to the high end GR Caribe building (attached) next door, with access to all Royal Solaris and GR Caribe facilities. Great pools, excellent quality and service in the (7) restaurants. Room was beautiful, comfortable and clean. Beach was beautiful with poolside and beach drink service. Nightly. Shows were entertaining.
Loved it.

Room Tip: Upgrade to GR Caribe for access to restaurants and more privacy.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AlaninMontreal
We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay in our hotel, especially the facilities, the room, all the restaurants, shows and beach drink service, Thank you for taking your time writing your review.

Keep the SolarisExperience alive. GR Caribe is looking forward to welcoming you soon

Best regards from Cancún to Montreal.
Hoteles Solaris de Mexico.
Chilliwack, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

we were there with family from Canada for a week in Dec 2013 , room was clean but the bed are not good and some foods are okay, Workout machines need to replace new and they are very old. One day before we are going back home that a guy who work there for pool side.He was attempting to kidnap my son 7 year old that was following behind me when i looked over my shoulder .....I'm not very surprised and lucky that i catch him very quickly !! .... i was so piss off at him for what he done to my son and we will never go back ever again. " Warning you please keep eyes on your kids all the times".

9 Thank elena671
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear Guest:

We are concerned about your accusation against one of our employee who you think was attempting to kidnap your son. It's a very serious accusation; we can assure you that we are a prestigious company that takes many steps to assure the safety of our guests. We apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused you, we are sure it was a misunderstood.

If you have any additional comment please do not hesitate to contact us.
Best regards,
Hoteles Solaris de México
info@hotelessolaris.com
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

This is our 2nd time at this resort.....it never disappoints! Beautiful!!!

Rooms: Our room was absolutely beautiful with a separate living room and a balcony! (Thank you so much Rosa). The beds were comfortable, the bar fridge was restocked daily and the room was always spotless.
Don't forget to take advantage of the 24 hour room service.

Resort: The bars and pools were excellent. There was always something going on. The evening shows were top-notch. Service was incredible.....especially Rosa, Cinthia, and Adrianna! Miss you!

Beach: Beautiful Beach! Can be alot of waves but I like this!

Highly recommend this resort

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Gina Brian C
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thank you for recommending GR Caribe on Tripadvisor. It's great to hear that your stay with us was wonderful and you have enjoyed the room, shows and services.
Thank you for taking your time writing your review and for pointing out how great our staff is, especially Rosa, Cinthia and Adrianna.

Keep your Solaris Experience alive, we are looking forward to see you soon.

Warm regards from Cancún.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

This is my 3rd time in Cancun, last time was probably 8 years ago and it was a very unpleasant experience in another all-inclusive hotel so I was a bit skeptical but it turned out to be a pretty positive and enjoyable vacation here at GR Caribe.
Check-in was a breeze. The front desk is always friendly as with all the staff here at this resort. We ended up with a king size bed instead of a double. Going back to front desk to inquire since it would not be comfortable for a couple plus a 4 yr old to fit a king, the lady said she'll get us a roll-away bed. It worked out perfectly. The bed was pushed to a corner wall to prevent my little wild sleeper from falling over in the middle of the night and gave us a little privacy in our own bed. Our housekeeper, Jaime, was a diligent cleaner. Please remember to tip every day. He surprised us with a couple of animals shaped with towels and my son was absolutely delighted with it along with the 2 mint chocolate candies left for us each day. Though we've found couple of big dead cock roaches outside our door that was always picked up mysteriously upon sighting but never seen one inside our room. I love the separate living area that had a beautiful ocean front view. Our room was located on the first floor a bit close to the hallway everyone used to get to restaurants so we heard a bit of noise but the worse was the noise coming from adjoining room next door where we woke up once to a couple making out at 6 AM. Thankfully, my son slept through it. So the sound proofing not so good.
The restaurants were I would save a little above average to very good. For breakfast, you can choose to eat here or go next door to Solaris with bigger buffet but same food. Made to order pancakes, waffles, omelets and eggs. Other items: fresh fruits, cheese, croissants, bread, bacon, sausage, yogurt, cereals, few variety of Mexican hot breakfast food specials. My son loved breakfast here with his hot chocolate every morning. For lunch, you have a variety but we stuck with the pizzeria place - pick your own toppings and made to order. We also ate at the restaurant by the beach at Solaris. For dinner, we love love love Bogavantes (the food, the service, decor, the view). They have the best chicken nuggets for kids here along with the best view of course, also the best steak. The backup dinner place is the buffet, theme changes nightly, loved the Italian theme with made to order pasta bar and huge variety of delicious desserts. We ate and drank well here during our stay. We all came back with extra few pounds.
Plenty of things to do here, Pamela the entertainer by the pool does the daily Bingo call outs is the sweetest and friendliest girl. There's mini-golf, tennis, and the mini-club/pool to occupy my son when he's not busy making sand castles or searching for sea shells. Love the nightly entertainment at Solaris too, it is quality entertainment. Dancing and acrobatics was excellent. We took a trip to Isla Mujeres for snorkeling and it was nice.

All in all, it was a good trip and I would recommend this place to families or even couples wanting a quiet relaxing trip.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank amy77385
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this lovely comment regarding your recent stay at GR Caribe.

We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your vacation with your wife and son on our Resort. Thank you for pointing out how friendly our staff is specially the front desk, Jaime and Pamela. We are glad that you loved "Bogavante", its service, food, view, the italian theme at "Las Fuentes", our famous pizzas and the nightly entertainment.

We appreciate your constructive comments, useful information and your time.

Keep your Solaris Experience. GR Caribe is looking forward to welcoming you soon.
Warm regards from Cancún to Houston.
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

I just completed an 8-day stay at the GR Caribe with my wife and friends. This was our first time in Cancun but have frequently visited other all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean.

The GR Caribe lacks curb appeal compared to other popular resorts on the strip. It's a smaller facility which is adjacent to its sister and larger resort, the Solaris. I would describe its decor as traditional Mexican which is styled to provide a warm and relaxing feel to its guests.

Here's my feedback to people thinking about staying at this resort.

It's obvious from the guest demographics that this resort caters to people who want to have a quiet vacation. Not a place for partying crowd but rather 30+ crowd with families/kids and older couples.

Most impressive of this resort is its service. From the front desk staff, to the concierge, to the bar staff, waiters and waitresses, it is clear that their mission is to make your stay as enjoyable as can be. Yes, its not to perfection all the time, but the intent is there and that's what matters.

The quality of food and restaurants range from good to very good. There's a good collection of a la carte restaurants which should cater to most people. One great thing is that NO reservations are required for these restaurants. Another great perk is that you can get room service too. Wine lists and selection of spirits are limited compared to restaurants that you pay at. My only real complaint would be the breakfast which I found very limiting and grows old after two days of stay.

Our room was nicely decorated, again traditional Mexican and included a small sunken sitting area (which we never used). The bed was on the firm side for me but worked for the stay. I had a difficult time falling asleep with the very firm and large pillows. Get some Made in USA pillows like at a Hilton. Other complaint is that the door to adjoining rooms is not sound insulated and one can easily hear the neighbours.

The pool and terrace are nicely laid out and include good quality pool furniture. Overall, provide a cozy feel and include two adult only spas where you can enjoy the beautiful view of the sea.

The beach is great and well served by waiters who work very hard to keep your thirst quenched. We had lots of fun playing beach volleyball and soccer. Most impressive is that the hotel has lifeguards who are very professional and attentive to sea conditions. We saw one older man being saved after getting caught in strong currents. Well done guys!

In terms of activities, not much at this hotel. That being said, if you get bored and looking for a bit more action, all GR Caribe guests can just walk over to the Solaris which has the usual entertainers with crazy activities.

Overall, a nice place to unwind, soak in the sun, enjoy good food/drinks and meet people.

Keep up the good work GR Caribe team.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank terryc0
Sol H, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a very detailed review of GR Caribe.

We are glad you enjoyed your escape to Cancún. We appreciate your positive comments about the service, which is indeed our strong point, the decor that provides a warm and relaxing feel, the quality of food and restaurants, the room service, the good quality of pool's furniture which provided a cozy feel and the the good bar service at the beach.

Your feedback is very important to us therefore we can take actions immediately that help us to meet our guest's expectations.

We hope we can welcome you again. Keep the Solaris Experience.

Warm regards from Cancún to Montreal.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

We stay ten days at this resort with a few families. Kids and parents liked here very much. We really enjoyed the pool, the beach and the services. It would be nice if the room is a bit better.

The check in was a mess. We have a big group arriving at the same time. The front desk was pretty overwhelmed. My family was assigned to a partial ocean view on the first floor very close to the poor. The problem for us is that this room only has a king sized bed but my reservation was for double bed. Went back to overwhelmed front desk to change the room. I was told that no double bed is available till tomorrow. Well, I was reluctant to settle down with a rollaway bed added to the room. The next day I tried again to switch to a double bed room but none available. By the day 3, I gave up as our stuff was all over the room. I was too lazy to repack.

The view from the pool was beautiful. The pool side bar was great. I'm pretty sure my kids had most of lunch her at the pool side. The white sand beach was very inviting. There were always some beach chair to lay one and wait staff to get the drinks. Awesome!

The dinner was very nice experience at Bogavente which is between the pool and the beach with a million dollar view. We had wine and multiply cocktails which are included in the package. I saw other postings about the watered down drinks. Ask for double shots or get a straight up shots. The services were excellent here. Venote is another formal dinning place at GR Cabire where we got the awesome services as well. Both dinning place have the nice menu. Check the menu before you go for dinner. Prepared for a bit wait as they are not a huge places.

The breakfast buffet was decent at Solaris Cafe. As GR Caribe is a smaller resort and also affiliated with Royal Solaris next door, we have the access to all facilities there. The breakfast buffet at Royal Solaris was pretty good too but the dinner buffet was not very impressive.

The room and bed was not very satisfactory. One of the lights was not working. The bath room doesn’t have the tub and there is no door for the shower. The worst part is the pillow smelt a bit moldy.

I really liked the activities at Royal Solaris next to GR Caribe. We participate the Kayak tour at the lagoon, the beach volley ball, and pool side activities. All staff was wonderful and energetic. I wish they provide the Zumba class somewhere. The gym is obviously too small and no room for any activities. And the gym closes at 7pm? How could I burn the calories after a steak dinner?

I tried a package at the SPA. The pedicure chair had a malfunctioning so they had to boil the water somewhere else and then add to the basin. The staff was extremely nice. But the skills were lacking. The facility could be better too. Two other friends tried this place had the some impression.

We could access to Royal’s facilities including kids camp-mini club. I was expecting kind of structured kids activities setting like what you would have on a cruise ship. However, this is more loosely like baby sitting at a gym place. They do have a pretty nice water playground for kids. The activities are more on hourly or other hour basis. The staff required us to come back and check on kids on every 30 to 45 minutes. So my kids free plan was out of the window. By the few hours on the first day, my son was done with this camp and played more at the pool instead.

I really liked the staff here. Most of them were happy, friendly and very accomondating. I learned quite some Spanish from them. They made this stay very pleasant.

Room Tip: If you have the kids, ask for a room near the pool. Will save you lots of steps going back and forth...
1 Thank jjkittycat
Hola :)

Thank you for sharing your Solaris Experience on Tripadvisor. We are happy that even though we had a misunderstanding during the check in and you have experienced inconveniences in your room, your overall experience was good and felt exceptional service from the pool side bar, our restaurants and the activities and facilities of both Solaris resorts.

Thank you very much for pointing out how wonderful, friendly and happy our staff is.

Regarding the suggestions you mentioned we have informed to our General Manager to ensure the quality of the service! We take our guest's feedback very seriously, therefore it will be held a program of air quality to avoid those aromas.

We hope we can welcome you again. Keep the Solaris Experience and do not forget the Spanish words :)

Warm Regards from Cancún to Chicago