“GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Catasauqua, Pennsylvania
“GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Grab a drink, becasue you will need one to read what I all have to say.

We arrived on Sunday, greeted wiht a cucumber drink, non-alcoholic. Which I thought was wonderful and refreshing and thought if this is the start, then this will be awesome....yeah, it was to blind me.

We check in, get our bracelets and then are told she must cut them off, we were upgraded. (This sent off a red flag for me, because I thought what do they want for this?) Ok, now we need to pay. Well, we had to give a credit card becasue....get this, they do not take US dollars, what???? Nope, only Euro, Canadian and Mexician dollars. Even though everything on the signs say pescos and USD, does that make any sense?? Whatever, ok so what is in our upgrade? A stocked mini fridge and room service. Sounds pretty good right? Yeah, stokced means 4 tiny pony bottles of beer, which we do not drink. 2 bottles of water and 1 can of each pepsi, diet pepsi, ornage soda and 7up.

So they lead us through everything to the "other hotel" which is connected that is the upgrade. Grounds are nice, very European. I told the gentleman that we needed the trip for th ruins for the next day. He directed us to the concierge. Well, this is now where the crap hits the fan. She asks about where we came from I told her Moon Palace, which I HIGHLY recommend. She "claims" there food is much better then the Moon, clearly she cannot taste anything. She writes two numbers on a piece of paper and asks us to add them (really, what is that crap) then writes more and says that she can give the Ruins trip for that price if I hear her presentation. I said no, her response, you like massage? Really? I am on vacation paying to stay at a beach hotel I am here for the beach not time away from that!! We told her no, not interested and went to our room.

Dinner that night, was crap. Drinks were also crap. I asked for a vodka and cranberry.....tada, in comes some bright red slushy thing. I was told it was a Strawberry Margarita. UM, try strawberry sickening sweet koolaid!! The soda was even weird, they had to be using less syrup then they should. There kicker was when they threw a turkey carcass on the grill at the carving station!! Food was no way better then the Moon AND McDonald's food was better!!! Insane!! It is so loud in there, there is no relaxing or enjoyment. Friendly's full of kids is quieter.

Monday night we chose the restaurant that serves you, now you need long pants. No open toes shoes or tank tops or shorts....ok, wait. Those things do not apply to the women. Oh, and the pants, well they can be jeans with holes in the knees, but as long as they are long. Oh, teenagers the rules do not apply to. Men can wear tshirts that say anyhting and jogging pants are ok, ya know because they are long. So this restaurant was just as loud. You have to really pay attention to each other to hear each other. If there are only 2 of you you do not get a bread basket, but if you have 4 then you do. FYI, this dress is called Casual Elegance. Yeah, I can totally see that, guess we learn something new every day.

There is some crazy entertainment in the lounge/lobby area that is awful. Louder then a night club. But, I got my vodka and cranberry....and didn't drink it, I swear it is koolaid!!!! This drink should be tart, well it was sugar city!!

If you want internet, $16 per day. If you want to print your boarding passes, again you must buy THEIR internet time!!!! We sat on the wall at the sister connected hotel, to hook up to another internet so we could check on the kids throught that.

Tuesday, that darn chick was looking for me and said she would give me free internet if I listen to her peresentation, really? So I flipped out on her in the lobby and told her this was the worst vacation ever, I would NEVER recommend this and I am sure I will be talking aobut it for a long time and telling everoyne how awful it was!! Trust me, more people will hear about the worst experience!!

The other that REALLY bothered me was there was NO water in the bathroom for teeth brushing. If the other place we stayed, that clearly was a better quality place, had water for that, why wouldn't they?

Monday night, the hairdryer stopped working, I look and the wire fried through and was exposed. Now that is a scary thing, what else could be wired wrong?

The beach was beautiful, but they can't control that it comes with the location. I settled on Mojitos, but I am not sure what they are to taste like, so when I have a real one I will be surprised.

Orange juice at breakfast, well I swear it is the frozen stuff and they added extra water to it.

The walls are so thin you hear everything, like the maids cleaning the room next door, the banging of doors, the freakin alarm clock in the next room going off!!!

Also, they clean....while you are eating!!! Who does that crap?? Who sweeps while you are dining???

Reminder: They do not take ANY US dollars, but everything is listed as US dollars. So EVERYTHING gets charged to your room.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else....anywhere else but here!!!!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank kfryslin
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear guest

We express our appreciation for sharing your review, which contributes greatly to our improvement and keeps us focused on what we are doing right and what needs to be changed in order to provide our guests an impeccable vacation experience.

We take great measures to ensure that we are consistently delivering the top notch service and amenities we are known for all our guests. It disappoints us to hear when we've missed the mark.

We take very seriously our guest's feedback therefore we have informed our General Manager about your comment, who conducted an investigation of all the points you mentioned in order to take the needed corrective actions immediately with the departments involved.

On regarding dollars change, is because of the government regulations in Mexico. It is recommended that all travelers bring Mexican pesos as well as their credit and/or debit cards to minimize any inconvenience the exchange cap at banks may cause.

In addition, we would like to inform you that each week we have meetings with our suppliers to calibrate the beverage equipment so we are going to make the adjustments required to offer the best quality and service.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for not meeting your expectations. We can assure you that this is not the typical experience. Once again, sorry for not delivering the level of service and amenities that we are known for and for not being able to make your vacation a memorable one.

Hoteles Solaris de México.
^X

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Korean first
Antigonish, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We arrived at noon on Good Friday and were immediately offered refreshments. From that point on, the service was fantastic, especially from our concierge, Adriana, plus Pino, Neftali, Veronica, Gaby, Andy (chef) and the rest. We endured a 2-hour time-share presentation, which was pleasant but pressure-packed; we had no intention of saying yes but got to see some of the extra amenities. The beach was to die for and although the pool area was great, we preferred the openness of the beach and the warm salt water.Our room was a corner location one floor above the lobby and was a short walk to everywhere we needed to go. Open courtyards offered a relaxing place to read, eat or snooze between trips to the beach and other venues. Of the three on-site a la carte restaurants, Boga was probably the best, followed by Veneto. Buffets offered plenty of food but quality of some main courses was not the best. Through diligience of Adriana, she managed to subsitute our complimentary lobster dinners for steak at Marco Polo. The servers reluctantly agreed to the steak substitute, which we should have returned as the steak was tough and gristly. The good thing is that this was our only negative a la carte experience. A suggestion to GR Caribe is that since not everyone is a seafood lover, the complimentary lobster dinner should be substitutable with no hassle, especially when, on the pay menu, steak dinners are lower-priced. In summary, our first visit to Cancun and GR Caribe was awesome and as we said to Adriana, we will be back.

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean view, even if no balcony, are the best.
1 Thank Doug I I
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
We appreciate your comments about GR Caribe. Thank you for pointing out how great our staff is, specially, Adriana, Pino, Neftali, Veronica, Gaby and Andy ;we will inform them. We are glad to know you enjoy the beach, the pool and our three restaurants. We take very seriously the feedback of our guests therefore to increase the quality of our services. At the moment we are improving our menus, introducing new dishes and making innovations to satisfy our guest's palate.

We are looking forward to see you soon and see our improvements.

Kind Regards from Cancún to Canada
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Just arrived home from a great family vacation at GR Caribe by Solaris. We were there from April 19 to April 26, 2014. We travelled in a group of 7 - my husband and nine month old daughter, my sister and her boyfriend and my parents. We were very nervous to travel with our daughter but both my husband and I felt very safe and secure at the resort. Part of the reason we chose Cancun was the proximity of the resort to the airport and that there are stores nearby (huge Walmart) if we needed anything. We brought all of her diapers and food, etc. and brought a kettle to boil bottled water for her cereal and to bath her. There are only showers in the room and we didn't want to risk her drinking the water so we gave her sponge baths every night. This worked very well and with taking these precautions I would definitely recommend this resort to a family with children, even young ones. The staff at the hotel LOVE babies and were very accommodating. We did bring a stroller which we used quite a bit. We had to manoeuver a fair number of stairs but it was doable. If this is a concern you might want to ask for a room on a lower floor.

The staff at the hotel is exceptional. Everyone is very friendly and attentive and went out of their way to make sure we had an excellent vacation. When we got to the hotel we asked if we could have a room with a balcony so that we could at least sit outside while our daughter had her naps. Although there are a limited number of rooms with balconies, the staff made sure we got one. At breakfast, the staff made sure we had everything we needed and on our last morning brought over a round of mimosas without us even asking. We saw a number of the staff several times during our stay and by the end of our trip we were exchanging hugs as we said goodbye. This is one of the benefits of staying at a smaller resort.

Although the resort is small, you have the benefit of being able to use all the facilities at the resort next door, including the spa, gym and restaurants. The atmosphere is a bit livelier over there and there was a mini club for kids. We didn't spend too much time there because it was a bit too loud for our young daughter but if you have older kids or you are looking for more of a party atmosphere, there is something for everyone. The beach is beautiful as well.

The food at the resort was hit and miss. The great thing is that you have unlimited a la carte for dinners and you don't have to make a reservation. We had some really great meals at Bogavante, the restaurant overlooking the beach. None of us really enjoyed the buffet - the options were limited on most nights. If I had one complaint about the resort it would be that the options for food were somewhat more limited than at other resorts but certainly none of us went hungry! Some of the meals were only so so but we did have a few great ones and nothing was ever terrible. The drinks were great. The bar servers were awesome, always coming around the pool and down to the beach to take orders. There was always a special cocktail in the lobby in the evenings, which was nice before heading to dinner.

The rooms are nice, clean and a good size. We all had a view of the ocean and being able to watch the sunrise was really nice.

The following staff went out of their way during our stay. There are others as well but these are the individuals and names that stood out.

Adriana
Gaby
Pao
Neftali
Pino
Veronica
Gabriel
Alberto
Andy (Great Omelette chef!!)
Virgil

I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone traveling to Cancun. The small atmosphere, with the services of a big resort combined with excellent staff and a beautiful setting made for a great vacation!

Room Tip: 1) Suggest paying extra for ocean view room - the view is gorgeous. 2) Stoller/Wheelchair accessibi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kate1782
We are so glad to know that you enjoyed the time you spent at our resort and that our guest services exceeded your expectations. Thank you very much for mentioning to us many names of our team, they will undoubtedly be very grateful for your kind comment. We are happy to know that you enjoy all the facilities that our sister hotel Royal Solaris had to offer to all our guests. Thank you for pointing out the nicer,cleaner,spacious of our rooms, we are glad you enjoy our wonderful ocean view and the beautiful sunrises.

Thank you very much for you recommendation, we look forward to having you back in the near future to make for you a great vacation!

Kind Regards from Cancún to Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

GR Caribe provided a warm and friendly atmosphere from the moment we entered the facility. The service wonderfully warm, hospitable and accommodating; food and drink plentiful. Rooms were immaculate.
Special thanks to Seniorita Adrianna for going above and beyond in her role as Conciere - our life saver.
Looked forward to Veronica, Pamela and Angel at the pool/beach area for their services - always with a smile.
Pao, Max, Joel, etc. for their excellent service!
Thankyou for a wonderful vacation memory!

Room Tip: Ocean View!
1 Thank Maria G
We are happy to hear how much you enjoy your stay at GR Solaris. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the warmth wonderfully service, the hospitable accommodations and the food and drinks. We are happy to read that our guest services exceeded your expectations such as Adriana. We value very much your feedback because we are always looking for ways we can improve the guest experience. Be sure that Veronica, Pamela, Angel, Pao, Max, and Joel, are looking forward to extend you an excellent service.
Thank you for the great review; We look forward to having you back in the near future

Kind Regards from Cancùn
Cable, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We just got back from our visit to GR Caribe by Solaris hotel. The food, drinks and service were exceptional. We really liked the idea that we could use the facilities at the sister hotel next door. The shows, lagoon/marina, pools, beach, and spa offered us all the entertainment that we needed to make it a memorable trip. We hope to return again sometime soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Thank you for pointing that the food, drinks and service were exceptional. We are glad to read that you have the best entertainment in all the facilities that we offer to our guests, like the shows,lagoon/marina, pools, beach, and spa. We will be waiting from you make you vacations another memorable trip

We hope to see you soon.

Warm regards from Cancún to Wisconsin
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

As always the GR Caribe is a wonderful vacation. The foods, drinks, staff and hotel are always our favorite place to go in Cancun. I need to mention all the staff that are super, so here goes

Alberto
Abe
Filiberto - as always a great manager
Pao - great hostess
George
Jhonathan - Makes eating and drinking fun
Adriana and Rose Arias

Thank you for another wonderful year at the GR Carible

Room Tip: Down behind the grill be the pool, it is close to bar, beach, pool and dining.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kn1234562014
Thank you for recommending GR Caribe. Is great to hear that your stay with us was wonderful. We are happy to know you enjoy the food and the drinks, we are glad to know that GR Caribe is your favorite place in Cancún =)
Thank you for pointing out how great our staff is especially Alberto ,Abe ,Filiberto,
Pao,Gaby ,Arminada ,Diego, Angel,Esteban, Charly ,Jose ,George ,Jhonathan ,Adriana, you can be sure that they will always receive you with a big smile and ready to pamper you in your next vacations.

We are looking forward to see you soon.

Warm regards, from Cancún to Wisconsin
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We bought into Solaris four years ago and have stayed at all of their hotels... all of which provide excellent service, but Caribe has that little bit of extra charm and character and is our favorite. We were there from March 19 -31, 2014, and were joined by friends; we were 8 in totoal and everyone had a great time. The teens love the freedom and moving from pool to pool, etc. The staff is generally excellent... my favourites this year being Cordova and Erick at Bogavente, Gaby at the Lobby Bar, Veronica and Manuel at the pool Bar, Max, Joel, and Jhonathan at Cafe Solaris, and Bernardo (I thinkthat was his name... lovely maya gentleman) at Rosemarinos. We do very much appreciate the members' perks... cheaper rooms, always ocean front, the excursions (Ek-Balam this year; fantastic must see other than the guide knows little about the archaeology etc. we were disappointed in the dinner service at Rosemarinos this year. In the past one of our favorite places to dine, the evening staff was not accomodating to kids drinks, memebers wine, and not particularly friendly. All other restaurants were great (as some other reviews have said, the descriptions sometimes more poetic than the actual food, which is pretty but not always as exciting to the taste as it could be). All things being equal, we were well received, the staff generally great, lovely place, whether or not one is a member... internet should be free for all room occupants, not just one person! The ocean was lovely first week, aggiated the second! The cleaning and maintenance staff always busy cleaning, fixing, etc. There is a ton of people working here ensuring a lovely holiday... we were alll sad that you closed off the lobby to the warm Cancun breeze that we come for! We don't come to Mexico for air conditioning... we come to be warm!

Room Tip: Of all the Cancun "tourist factory" hotels, GR Caribe definately on the smaller side givin...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Claire B
Thank you for choosing our Solaris chain for your vacations! We are happy to read that we are your favorite hotel; GR Caribe will always have that extra charm for all our guests. We are glad to hear how much you enjoyed the facilities and the freedom of both hotels. Thank you for pointing out how great our staff is, specially Cordova and Erick at Bogavante, Gaby at the Lobby Bar, Veronica and Manuel at the pool Bar, Max, Joel, and Jhonathan at Cafe Solaris, and Bernardo at Rosemarinos; we are proud to say we have a team always ready to give their best all the time to make our guests have a wonderful vacation. Is wonderful to hear you enjoy you trip to Ekbalam; we are always looking to give extraordinary experiences specially for our members. Respecting the service at Rosemarinos we apologize that your experience wasn't as pleasing as it supposed to be and not having met your expectations as few years ago, you can be sure that we are taking measures to improve the service of all staff. Thank you for pointing out how great our housekeeping staff is, we will inform that they did a great job, they are always working hard to keep the cleaning and maintenance in all the areas of the Hotel. Respecting the new amenities of our lobby, these improvements were made thanks to the suggestions and comments about our guests to have a more fresh and enjoyable space.
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, and for pointing out one area of opportunity so we can improve our guest's service.

Warm Regards from Cancún to Canada