“Best time ever”

Ranked #25 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Ottawa, Canada
“Best time ever”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Its our 3dr time at Solaris, first we've been at the GR Solaris, this time we tried the GR Caribe and we loved it with it's Mediterranean style and warm lighting so gorgeous. GR Caribe is more oriented to adults, however I've seen a few kids, I believe this resort should allow only kids order than 15 since, Caribe is a different vibe and there is no entertainment for them, the ideal for kids is the Royal. I don't understand how people said they don't like the food, or that they end only eating in the pool bar. The restaurant a la carte Veneto or Bogavento are excellent, the best quality meals, Kudos to the Chefs !!! and if you want a buffet you can always go to the one in the Royal. The staff always ready to help with a smile and very friendly. The night shows very entertaining and good quality. The resting places in Caribe, so beautiful, I enjoyed the art pieces all around the place, the plazas, the swing, every other night a saxophonist playing beautiful music At four in afternoon, you have everyday a person preparing unique Flambee coffees a must to have. Beside the pool there are two big Jacuzzis facing to the Ocean, you can choose to be at the pool or go to the beach, very clean and you'll have staff approaching with your favorite drinks. As members we had an Ocean View in the 4th floor, very clean, a small balcony with table with chairs for relaxing, small kitchen with everything you need, fridge with beers and pops, and a flat TV with Cable. My favorite moment the breakfast at the Cafe, international breakfast mixed with Mexican Delis and crepes or pancakes made in front of you. I totally recommend Solaris, for 3dr time beyond our expectations!!!

2 Thank AlexVgay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My friends and I traveled to this resort last year in May 2013 for my bachelorette. It was a great resort, great food. We stayed in the room right off the beach. Great pool area. I would def recommend this resort. It's 10-15 mins by bus from the main downtown club strip.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank modi_tina04
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
We are happy to hear how much you enjoy your stay at GR Caribe for your bachelorette, congrats!!
It is very important for us your feedback therefore we can improve our guest services. Thank you for taking your time in writing your review .

We are looking forward to see you soon

Warm regards, From Cancún to Montreal
Chardon, Ohio
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My husband and I stayed there the week of May 10th. I read all the reviews and figured to give it a chance. It turned out to be disappointing. This is not a gated community and peddlers can approach you on the beach anytime. There is absolutely no security there. The beach was beautiful. The pool was very nice too. Rooms were cleaned everyday and staff was very pleasant. The disappointing part was the food was terrible. Seriously, I think they tried to hard to make it look pretty but it was awful. I had to eat at pool snack bar everyday. French fries, o-rings, and nachos with guac. I mean I survived but seriously the steak was like rubber, the rock lobster we rec'd was awful. I am a bit of a food snob but at that point on my trip I had to eat whatever to survive. Not good at all. Alcohol was great if you stayed on the GR Caribe side otherwise it was junk. Entertainment was ok. Nothing spectacular and not alot to do at this resort or even sister resort. I would not refer anyone or go back. It was too pricey for what we rec'd. Shop .around folks and ask people where they've stayed. Oh yes, and one more thing, I was approached 5 times about the time share and offered a free massage if I spent two hours with them touring the place to become a member. No thank you. It was aggravating. I never was approached once last year at the Catalonia about this. Very poor sales approach, we are on vacation , not shopping for membership. Beds were hard as a rock too, I could barely get out of bed in the morning and I'm a pretty fit person that works out 5 days a week.

Room Tip: They say upgrade to ocean view and get a balcony, It is like a 3x3 balcony and the view is not good...
1 Thank rbrown777
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have just returned home from a 7-day stay at the GR Caribe for the second time and I have to say that although the experience overall was good, it was not as good as my first stay last year for a couple of different reasons. First of all, the front desk staff and concierge staff are outright rude. Rather than first asking my name to look up my reservation at the check-in, the young man asked me whether or not "I was in the right place?" Are you freaking kidding me? How rude can you be? By no means are we the "grubby" looking type, though we realize that we do look a little younger than the majority of the other guests; we're in our mid 20s. We did not spend thousands of dollars a second a time to get attitude by a receptionist with a inferiority complex. Just take a look at many recent reviews, some of the front desk and concierge staff need to be relocated to a behind the scenes role as these people are the face of your brand and why would you want them representing you in such a way. Speaking perfect English isn't everything. Secondly, half the restaurants were closed at all times; the restaurants and food were a big reason why we had returned to this resort for a second time, so it was a little disappointing to come back to fewer options.
However, the service staff are great and they really make you feel welcome. Despite this, I don't believe it will be enough to bring us back a third time.
Adios, Gr Caribe.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
We appreciate your comments about GR Caribe. Thank you for pointing out how great our service staff is; we are proud to say we have a team always ready to give their best all the time to make our guests feel at home and make sure they have a wonderful vacation.

Regarding your check in; we are really concerned about this situation, we are truly sorry you had an unpleasant experience during your vacations and we can assure we will carry out an investigation to see what is happening with those employees.You have to know we are always trying to do our best, for that reason we care about your feedback and we will inform our General Manager about it so we can take action.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again so we can enhance your perception of our hotel.

We would love to host you once more in your next vacation.

Warm regards from Cancún to Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014

It is my first time in mexico, it has a great beach.
However, the hotel is not breathtaking. It is good enough maybe it is a little over priced.
The hotel is always clean. The food is good, not so much seafood. Fish is too salty.
Tacos is boring if you eat it everyday.
Hotel is for family, I don't recommend couples here.

TIP:
Bring $1 for tip when you eat. $1/day for room cleaners (the staff does a good job)

• Stayed April 2014
We are pleased to read that your stay was satisfactory and you enjoy our facilities. We are glad to know that our staff did a good job. We are proud to say we have a team always ready to give their best all the time. It is important to us your feedback, therefore we can improve in our quality and service.

We hope you visit again soon.

Kind regards from Cancún
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Always an awsome time absolutely wonderful. Staff wonderful, restaurant bugavante was the highlight of the restaurants, and our waiter Joel made the evenings ating there that much more special just wish itbwas open every night.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
It is always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travel to GR Caribe. We are glad to read that our staff was wonderful, and that our restaurant Bogavante was the highlight of the restaurants. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the time you spent at our resort and that our guest services exceeded your expectations such as Joel. We will inform him about your good comments.

We hope you stay with us again during your next trip to Cancún.

Kind Regards
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Thank god for TripAdvisor. I read so many good and accurate reviews prior to my arrival to this hotel and they helped me on what to expect.
I went on a couple’s mini vacation (only 4 nights), I must say; the staff is really friendly, the property is very well maintained, and it has a European vibe. However, the food is very disappointing, really boring, nothing that would made me feel I was enjoying a nice Mexican meal. The house wine is really mediocre and they do promote it as great Spanish wine which is a joke.
We took a tour with the hotel to Xichen-Itza for $79 and it was great and worth the price, absolutely recommendable, except for the tour guide at the end "asking" (sounded more like demanding) for a tip at the end and said "if you don’t have any money to tip its ok just don’t come to us giving us the change (coins) you have left on your pockets" I could believe it when I heard it but yes he did. The hotel tried to offer me a discount on the tour if I would listen to the speech about the time share and I just said NO straight forward since I previously knew from TripAdvisor what it was about.
My room was lovely, I previously called them and requested a King size bed and the honored my request with an awesome room with a great view. I must say, everything I asked for was honored which is very much appreciated.
I would recommend this resort if you are traveling as a couples or family, not for groups of friends since there isn’t much to do inside the resort

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
We appreciate you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor; and for recommending us.
We are glad to know you enjoy the friendliness of our staff, the hotel surroundings and its cleanness. We are happy to read that you enjoy your room and its views. We feel honored to hear that our staff did what ever was in their hands to fulfill your requests. We are proud to say we have a team always ready to give their best all the time to make our guests feel at home and make sure they have a wonderful vacation.

Please accept our most sincere apologies regarding the disconfort you experienced during your stay. We take very seriously the feedback of our guests therefore to increase the quality of our services. At the moment we are improving our menus, introducing new dishes and making innovations to satisfy our guest's needs. We regret not having met your expectations, but all your comments are fully considered in order to improve our quality. We can assure you we always try to do our best for that reason we will inform our General Manager about it so we can take action.

We hope you visit again soon so you can see our improvements.

Kind regards from Cancún to New York.